Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate (2936 Views)

Death Sentence For Kidnappers In Oyo: Ajimobi Approves It / Dickson Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Bayelsa / North Demands Death Penalty For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by okeey(m): 8:32am On Oct 07, 2009
AS cases of kidnapping for ransom continue to spread across the country, the governors of the 36 states of the federation, on Monday, called on the Federal Government to bring the full weight of the law on culprits.

The governors, who met at the Kwara State Liaisons office in Abuja, said the time had come for the federal authorities to act decisively on the criminality in order to restore sanity and general security.

In a communiqué issued at the end of the meeting held under the auspices of Nigerian Governors’ Forum, a copy of which was sent by email to the Nigerian Tribune in Lagos, the leaders commended the government on the successful conclusion of the amnesty to militants in the Niger Delta.

Accordingly, they promised their support for all necessary measures aimed at consolidating the gains of the exercise, but urged the Federal Government to mete out appropriate punishments to kidnappers henceforth.

The governors noted that they decided to take a firm stand on the trend (kidnapping) after listening to the submissions of governors from the South-South zone on the amnesty deal between the Federal Government and the militants.

Some Houses of Assembly in states in the zone had passed laws, spelling out tough punitive measures, including treating kidnappers as hardened criminals deserving death sentence.

Most of the cases of kidnapping have been in the South-South and the South-East zones. But it had since spread to the South-West, and lately, the North, where the Secretary to the Kaduna State Government was kidnapped and taken to a hideout in one of the states in the South-South.

Reviewing the general amnesty and government’s rehabilitation programme for former militants, the governors pledged their support for the National Assembly to pass a special budget for the rehabilitation exercise.

Part of the communiqué reads: “After listening to the presentation of the Minister of Defence, as well as the comments by the South-South governors, the Forum resolved to commend the Federal Government and the governors of the South-South states for the amnesty initiative.

“While noting this historic movement towards peace and reconciliation by the Federal Government which has resulted in the disarmament and demobilisation, members called for support for the next phase of this process: rehabilitation and the reintegration.

“The Forum furthermore called on the Federal Government to treat kidnapping with the same level of seriousness it deserves. The Forum agreed that it would give support to efforts by the National Assembly to pass extra budgetary provision to help ex-militants in their efforts to be rehabilitated and re-integrated. As a mark of solidarity to the Niger Delta, members unanimously resolved to host its next meeting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.”

The governors spoke on other national issues such as the campaign for the eradication of malaria and polio in the country, restating their commitment.

They promised to support the minister of health in the implementation of a vector control programme designed to eradicate malaria. “Members also noted funding options available for this programme and agreed to support efforts to source for funds from local stakeholders, the MDG, etc. Also noted was the ongoing success of the Polio Eradication Campaign (in the past three weeks, only one Nigerian child has been paralysed by polio). Polio distribution in 2008 and 2009 has significantly improved.

“The Forum expressed support for the Federal Government’s Midwives Service Scheme (MSS) under the Primary Health care Sector, which is designed to address maternal and infant mortality through the distribution of midwives at primary health care centres around the country,” they stated.

On education, they stated: “The Forum noted the clarifications made by the Executive Secretary to Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) and agreed that the way forward is for every state to put in place the following: an action plan, the counterpart funding, and a functional board. Once all three requirements have been met, the states can access their funds within 24 hours.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/07102009/news/news2.html
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by bilymuse: 10:20am On Oct 07, 2009
All the governors are mad. Lets have death penalty for treasury looters too.

the kidnappers are collecting their own national cake just like the governors. I just wish they would concentrate on government officials and politicians
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by blacksta(m): 10:28am On Oct 07, 2009
A killer to execute another killer - what an irony
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by texazzpete(m): 10:43am On Oct 07, 2009
bilymuse:

the kidnappers are collecting their own national cake just like the governors. I just wish they would concentrate on government officials and politicians

No. You are the mad one for offering tacit support to kidnappers. Something doesn't have to happen directly to you before you can understand. Do you know the emotional trauma to the loved ones of the kidnap victims? Do you know how many have been killed or maimed by their captors? The traumatised babies that will not speak for days, the victims that are rendered paranoid, fearful wrecks - what do you know about them?

Not everything has to be related to 'thieving government officials and politicians' in this miserable country. Kidnapping is a heinous, terrible crime and it must be met with the maximum force to curb this.

I support the death penalty for these people 110%.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Ibime(m): 11:20am On Oct 07, 2009
We have had death penalty in Rivers State since 19 kporodim, thats why kidnapping has gone down in Rivers State.

They should implement it cos it seems kidnapping done reach Kaduna sef.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Akpangbon: 11:24am On Oct 07, 2009
a single bullet thru their nose is all they need.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by ifyalways(f): 11:36am On Oct 07, 2009
. . .and the Governors suddenly woke up from their slumber to address this issue cos its NOW begining to affect them?  cheesy
@Topic,good idea,implemting it is another thing.I wonder how they plan to even catch the kidnappers when almost all the kidnapped victims claim they were released freely,how many kidnapp cases have the Police been able to crack?
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by MrCrackles(m): 11:40am On Oct 07, 2009
I agree with this. . . .
Death to kidnappers, death to child molesters, death to rapists, death to armed robbers, death to looters and death to corrupt vagabonds! grin
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Pennywise(m): 11:58am On Oct 07, 2009
I was shocked to read in today's Vanguard-"Govs demand amnesty for kidnappers". Were these journalists at the same event? Why are they giving directly opposite reports?

The governor's forum that has become notorious lately for issuing absurd statements individual govs find diff to mouth should either affirm or repudiate this failing which they should all be arrested and tried as accessories to kidnapping.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/07/govs-demand-amnesty-for-kidnappers/
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by RichyBlacK(m): 12:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
Capital punishment is barbaric!
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by RichyBlacK(m): 12:03pm On Oct 07, 2009
bilymuse:

The useless Nigerian government have killed more people and caused more psychological trauma than all the kidnappers can ever dream of!

The useless state governors have stolen more money than a million times what the kidnappers have got through extortion.

If the useless Nigerian government can do their job to serve the people, kidnapping will cease to exist!
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Akpangbon: 12:06pm On Oct 07, 2009
Richyblack

Say that to Americans.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by walata44(m): 12:30pm On Oct 07, 2009
What about death penalty for looters of the treasury.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by snowdrops(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
Not only death penalty, but public executions by beheadings and stoning to death. These should be televised live so a stern message is sent to would be kidnappers.
As for treasury looters their time is coming.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Gekko(m): 1:32pm On Oct 07, 2009
Actually, I just read the opposite,   

Governors Demand Amnesty for Kidnappers

Abuja — GOVERNORS of the thirty-six states of the federation, under the aegis of the Nigerian Governors' Forum, yesterday, called on President Umaru Yar'Adua to treat kidnapping in the country the way he addressed that of the militancy in the Niger Delta.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200910070004.html

This is amnesty thing is a dangerous trend, pretty soon area boys will demand for amnesty.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Fhemmmy: 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2009
The governors are kidnapper too, they are just kidnapping the future of the nigerians, and so let them all be executed with bleach in the system.
Bastards.
Although, i think the kidnappers are cowards, let them kidnap those in power and leave the innocent people alone.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Mbeki: 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2009
texazzpete:

No. You are the mad one for offering tacit support to kidnappers. Something doesn't have to happen directly to you before you can understand. Do you know the emotional trauma to the loved ones of the kidnap victims? Do you know how many have been killed or maimed by their captors? The traumatised babies that will not speak for days, the victims that are rendered paranoid, fearful wrecks - what do you know about them?

Not everything has to be related to 'thieving government officials and politicians' in this miserable country. Kidnapping is a heinous, terrible crime and it must be met with the maximum force to curb this.

I support the death penalty for these people 110%.
@ texazzpete.
YOU SEEM TO BE THE TYPE THAT TREAT THE SYMPTOM INSTEAD OF THE AILMENT, HAVE YOU SAT DOWN TO ASK YOURSELF WHY KIDNAPPING HAS SUDDENLY BECOME A PHENOMENON IN NIGERIA? IF THOSE IN AUTHORITY SHOULD STOP SHARING THE MONEY THAT IS MEANT FOR THE ELECTORATE, AND DELIVER JUST A LITTLE DIVIDEND OF DEMOCRACY, THIS KIDNAPPING WILL STOP.  BUT AS LONG AS THEY THINK THEY CAN JUST THREATEN THE KIDNAPPERS ON THE PAGES OF NEWSPAPERS, THEY ARE WASTING THEIR TIMES. SO BY BRODA, NOTHING STARTS FROM NOTHING. THOSE IN AUTHORITY ARE REAPING THE FRUITS OF THEIR GREED!
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by snowdrops(m): 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2009
@ Mbeki

Firstly, stop typing in capital letters. Secondly your feeble attempt to defend the actions of these societal misfits called kidnappers is simply pathetic. The politicians are corrupt and have failed the nation; Fact. Is that good enough reason to start taking people for ransoms? What happens if we all turn into kidnappers? Anarchy! Have you or a close family member ever been kidnapped? A housewife in Benin was recently kidnapped. As the attackers tried to get away, her screams drew the attention of "okadas" who gave a hot chase. She was thrown out of a moving vehicle and sustained serious injuries. This person could have been your mother or sister. So have a human touch to your posts.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Mbeki: 2:41pm On Oct 07, 2009
@SNOWDROPS
IF YOU READ BETWEEN THE LINES OF MY POST, YOU'LL SEE THAT AM NOT SUPPORTING THEM (KIDNAPPERS). THE LAW HAS STRICT MEASURE AGAINST ARMED ROBBERS, BUT WE HEAR OF ARMED BANK ROBBERY ON DAILY BASIS. IF THERE IS PROVISION OF BASIC AMENITIES (JUST BASIC), YOU AND I KNOW THAT THE RATE OF CRIME WILL REDUCE. BUT WHEN CERTAIN CLASS OF PEOPLE HIJACK WHAT BELONGS TO EVERYBODY, THERE ACTION IS CAUSING A LOT OF ANGUISH TO OTHERS; THESE LESS PRIVILEGED ONES ARE THE ONES RESORTING TO KIDNAPPING AND OTHER VICES.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Mbeki: 2:58pm On Oct 07, 2009
LET ME GIVE YOU THE CHRONICLE OF KIDNAPPING IN NIGERIA

1958 OIL WAS DISCOVERED IN OLOIBIRI
1960-LATE 1970 THERE WAS OIL BOOM, NIGERIA'S PROBLEM WAS TOO MUCH MONEY, PROBLEM HOW TO SPEND IT.
1980-1990- SOME SMART GUYS SAW REASON WHY THEY SHOULD USE THEIR POSITION TO LOOT THE EXCESS MONEY, IN DOING SO, THEY NEGLECT NIGER DELTA.
1990-1995- NIGER DELTA PEOPLE CRIED BLUE MURDER, AND THEY MURDERED THEIR KEN SAROWIWA FOR SQUEALING
LATE 1990'S TO EARLY 2000- KIDNAPPING OF EXPATRIATES AND OIL WORKERS IN THE NIGER DELTA REGION
MID 2OOO- KIDNAPPING SPREADS TO NEIGHBORING STATES IN THE NIGER DELTA
2006- POLITICIANS AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS IN THE SOUTH WERE BEING KIDNAPPED
AND NOW-- KIDNAPPING IS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY-----
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by snowdrops(m): 3:02pm On Oct 07, 2009
I do not agree when criminals give poverty and perceived injustice as reasons for their actions. I am sure if Adolf Hitler was alive he would give you a page list of reaons he organized the holocaust. But crime is never justifiable. Never.
I feel kidnapping is amongst the most if not the most traumatic. It affects not just the individual but the whole family and community. It is a very tense, dreadful and anxiety provoking period. The ordeal may last days to months. The health and safety of the victim is a constant source of worry, while his bank account and life savings are being emptied. It is a cowardly act that targets individuals when they are most vulnerable. Most victims are women, children or the elderly who are more often than not defenceless. Believe me what we need is proper prosecution of the corrupt in the country, a judiciary that not only barks but bites. Jungle justice will get Nigeria no where.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Mbeki: 3:07pm On Oct 07, 2009
NOW LET'S REPROGRAM THE WHOLE PROCESS, FOR A KIDNAPPING FREE NIGERIA
2009- AMNESTY GRANTED TO NIGER DELTA MILITANTS, BY YA'ADUA ; MILITANTS ACCEPTS AMNESTY
2009- SERIOUS POLICY TO PUT STUDENTS IN SCHOOL AND TO STOP STARVING THE ALREADY HUNGRY LECTURERS
LATE 2009 TO MID-2010, REINTEGRATION AND EMPOWERMENT OF MILITANTS
3RD QUARTER OF 2010, SPEEDY DEVELOPMENT OF THE REGION,
PROVISION OF STEADY POWER SUPPLY THAT WILL KEEP SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE WORKING AND THE UNSERIOUS ONE WATCHING TV/MOVIES FOREVER

AND TELL ME WHO WILL HAVE TIME TO KIDNAP?? MR SNOWFALL, ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE AUTHORITIES SHOULD DO WHAT THEY GOT TO DO, FOR THINGS TO WORK OUT.
THE WORST IS THAT THESE KIDNAPPERS ARE FACELESS AND COWARDS, THAT'S MAKES IT DIFFICULT FOR THEM TO BE APPREHENDED. WE ARE FACING A MONSTER WORSE THAN THE NIGER DELTA MILITANTS.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by spoOne: 4:14pm On Oct 07, 2009
@Mbeki

tap the "Caps Lock" key of your keyboard.

And your posts seems to be making excuses for kidnapping.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Eziachi: 1:17am On Oct 08, 2009
It was the actions or inaction of the treasury looters that created the kidnapper. If you want to successfully curb th kidnapper, you must first elimate the treasury looters.
Talk about a turkey accusing a chicken of too much feathers.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by udezue(m): 1:23am On Oct 08, 2009
I'm in FULL SUPPORT but lets also add stealing of national treasury by politicians to the list.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Nobody: 1:52am On Oct 08, 2009
Nigerians and double standard; amnesty and presidential treatment for militant kidnappers and death penalty for other kidnappers. undecided
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Kobojunkie: 2:00am On Oct 08, 2009
Death to the kidnappers after we gave amnesty and free salary for life to the Babanla kidnappers of them all? Oh glorious!!
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Fhemmmy: 3:22am On Oct 08, 2009
I just think it is barbaric to wanna give death sentence, while the diplomatic thieves are getting away with murder.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by chic2pimp(m): 4:48am On Oct 08, 2009
@ POST

While the death penalty might be seen as to harsh, I definitely want to see kidnappers given tough sentences i.e 30 years or more in kirikiri prison.
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Fhemmmy: 4:49am On Oct 08, 2009
what shd be done to the governors that steals or kidnap the whole future of the state?
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by bawomolo(m): 4:51am On Oct 08, 2009
death penalty for kidnapping?

that sounds barbaric.

why not try to reform them during a prison term. just saying
Re: Death Penalty For Kidnappers - 36 Govs Advocate by Fhemmmy: 4:53am On Oct 08, 2009
via nigerian prison or which? cos i am not sure u cld reform anyone with those holes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Withdraws Two Ministerial Nominees / Us Has ‘strategic Interest’ In Nigeria’s Power Sector – Envoy / In Less Than 1992 Hours From Now Nigeria Will Cease To Exist Legally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.