Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors (1760 Views)

Stock Market Shareholders Lose N1.15trn In Q1 / Stock Market Shareholders Lose N108billion To Forex Suspension / Diamond Bank Stuns Shareholders With Worst Quarterly Result Since 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by okeey(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2009
Shareholders of banks quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange have urged the Central Bank of Nigeria to publish the names of non-performing debtors of all the banks in the country in the spirit of transparency.

The leaders of the various shareholder groups, who spoke with our correspondent on Monday, stressed the need for the apex bank to publish the names of those who were indebted to all the banks, especially the ones that were non-performing, now that the audit of banks had been concluded.

The Shareholders‘ position, according to the President of the Progressive Shareholders Association of Nigeria, Mr. Boniface Okezie, is premised on the fact that almost all the banks made provisions for bad loans in their 2008 financial year.

According to Okezie, ‘‘The CBN should publish the names of the bad debtors of all the banks, both the cleared and uncleared ones, to ensure that the process is transparent, because all the banks made provisions in their last financial year.‘‘

On the indictment of Spring Bank and BankPHB by the CBN, Okezie said, “The rot in the banks was due to inadequate regulation by the CBN. The acquisition of Spring Bank by BankPHB was the beginning of their problems. All the money the bank raised was used to buy Spring Bank. Despite the case in court, they bought Spring Bank, and the CBN approved it.‘‘

Another shareholder, who is the President of the Ibadan Zone Shareholders Association, Chief Aderemi Oyepeju, agreed with the position of Okezie, but he suggested that the apex bank should publish only the names of the bad debtors who were not showing the banks their willingness to pay.

According to him, “I agree partially with that position, and disagree. Those who have shown no sign of repayment should be published.

“Names of debtors, who display nonchalant attitude to repayment should be published, but those who are showing signs of repayment should not be published.‘‘

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200910071324998

Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by Nezan(m): 4:01pm On Oct 07, 2009
Let the names be published so that those who have any iota of integrity in them will pay up asap.
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by Carlosein(m): 4:18pm On Oct 07, 2009
and what happens when we all see Lamido Sanusi on any of the lists?
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by ogb5(m): 5:21pm On Oct 07, 2009
Carlosein:

You will not see it. It will be removed before publishing the names
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by obyann(f): 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2009
Carlosein:

even his family members

ogb5:

You will not see it. It will be removed before publishing the names

true talk
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by adconline(m): 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2009
how about govt debts that are non-performing?
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by JijiInc: 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2009
If CBN publishes the name of bad debtors, wahala go burst, cos no be only big man dey owe. A lot of Nigerians dey owe sum less than N1,000,000. Some people go take small loan dissappear.

A lot of parents will be disgraced o! Make we just dey follow Mallam Sanusi jeje.
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by davidif: 3:42am On Oct 08, 2009
Nigeria is the only country i know of where people are arrested for borrowing money and CEO's are jailed for being incompetent. Useless country.
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by chic2pimp(m): 3:49am On Oct 08, 2009
davidif:

Nigeria is the only country i know of where people are arrested for borrowing money and CEO's are jailed for being incompetent. Useless country.
I feel you there jare.
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by zobay(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2009
Nigerians sha!!! If Sanusi publish non performing loans pple go shout n if he does nt pple go shout. Every nooks, is stinking you enter to clean it you yoursef become stinking by the time you out.
Re: Shareholders Ask Cbn To Publish Names Of Bad Debtors by yankidelta(m): 8:08pm On Oct 08, 2009
chic2pimp:

I feel you there jare.

, Am really surprised at ur reasoning, in addition to publishing names n promoters of very bad and non-performing accounts,Sanusi should sponsor a bill seeking death sentence of promoters of these bad and non-performing loans.These bastards stiffen the economy by cutting monies for investments that would have been beneficial to the entirety of the citizenry thereby seriously hampering opportunities 4 u n i n u think dats ok?Guy it's either one of 2 things here:

1.U have a non-performing loan in a financial institution in Nigeria or,
2.Ur 2 naive to understand that banks are the engine for growth in any economy.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice On My MMM GH Date / Awka The Investors Mecca As New Companies Open Their Branches! / Is Meta Force An Investment That Pays Without Referrals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.