Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,569 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

My NYSC Experience In Rivers State - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Experience In Rivers State (20500 Views)

How greedy corpers escaped being used as rituals in Rivers state / My NYSC Experience In Pixs / Corpers' Lodge: Ask Questions & Share Your NYSC Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Iranoladun(f): 12:06pm On Oct 07, 2009
My NYSC Experience In A Strange Land!

I have always felt the need to share my NYSC experience and the impact it has on my career and life.
I hope you’d find one thing useful therein.

MY NYSC STORY

I was posted to Rivers state for my NYSC stint in the early 90s and I tried all I could to change it to any of the western state.  Why?
1.  I have spent all my life in the west (Lagos, Oyo, Osun and Kwara) and have never been to the east
2.  I have heard countless negative stories of NYSC members in a strange land
3.  My boyfriend was based in the West and I felt insecure leaving him to go and serve in a far-a-way place; now you understand

As destiny or fate will have it I did not succeed in my endeavour to change my posting from Rivers to Lagos.
I have been warned by my boyfriend not to take any valuables to camp except the following items:
1. a small bucket
2. a pair of jeans
3. a long skirt
4. 3 t-shirts
%.  A pair of short and a small blouse to match
6. Torch light and batteries
7. My toiletries (soap, perfume, roll-on, 2 bar of bathing soap, body cream and 2 packets of tampons and always)
8.  A plastic bowl, a plastic plate, a plastic cup, spoon, fork and knife
9. A blanket
10. A bed sheet and a pillow case
11. One packet of Omo detergent
12. One tube of tooth paste
13. Hair cream
14. Shampoo & conditioner
15. Bathroom slippers
17. A tin of Nescafe coffee, I packet of sugar, A tin of powdered milk, a packet of cornflakes
18. My small bible

I did not regret my decision not to go with more than these items; in fact we prepared the list together.

I left for camp from Lagos via an Aero Contractor flight because of the risk of travelling long distance alone (that trip to Port Harcourt was the 1st longest journey of my life).

From Port Harcourt airport I took a taxi to town and then boarded another bus to the NYSC camp at Ndele (College of Education in a town outside Port Harcourt city).

I arrived at the NYSC camp at Ndele and spent the whole day doing registration because the queue was so long. I arrived 2 days to the end of  the deadline.  I tried in vain to locate any of my school mate posted to Rivers in the camp but did not meet any.  I was the only one posted in the whole of my Department to Rivers state!

Eventually, I completed my registration, allocated to Platoon 15, and was taken to my home for the next 3 weeks; a make-shift hostel with no door, a bunk bed to be share with another Corper, mattress, no pillow, and there was no bathroom or toilet facility.   The Mosquito battalion had a field day. 

Morning PT as we called it then  (Physical Training) was no problem for me; I was a member of Man ‘O War while in the University so I was not only used to waking up at 5am for PT but was also the one waking others up.  I loved the PT.

On my 1st morning at the camp, we were woken up by the soldiers at exactly 5am for our Physical Training. A lot of my fellow corpers grumbled and reluctantly dressed up but I was up and out looking forward to the excitement.

The Platoon Commander (I was in Platoon 15 second to the last Platoon) gave us a brief introductory welcome, we did some warm up exercise and due to my performance with the PT, I was made the deputy Platoon leader.  We were released at about 7am for us to shower and go for breakfast.
I arrived back in the hostel with one thought on my mind

Got to go now and work; be right back!
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by tkb417(m): 4:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
otondo corper tongue
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 07, 2009
I have spent all my life in the west (Lagos, Oyo, Osun and Kwara) and have never been to the east

My apologies for being a little persnickety but isn't Rivers State in the south?

3 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by djpalapala(m): 5:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
Hmmmmm, I guess a lot of us have stories to tell about strange lands. So ride on and lets see how it goes,
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Ibime(m): 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2009
Welcome to Rivers State.

Be sure to sample the local delicacies  wink
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by okeey(m): 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2009
goo
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by walelamina: 5:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
Gud 2 share experiences,,Thanx 4 sharin
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Sauron1: 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2009
Ibime:

Welcome to Rivers State.

Be sure to sample the local delicacies  wink

This incident musta happened more than 15 years ago, Ibime.
There are no local delicacies to be sampled. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by fizzybaba(m): 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2009
another aspiring soyinka
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by mrperfect(m): 5:15pm On Oct 07, 2009
Waiting for further details.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Spyker: 5:22pm On Oct 07, 2009
This country no need NYSC again not that it is totally useless, but for me, it has served its purpose and should be scrapped.
Come to think of it,
NYSC stands for NOW YOUR SUFFERINGS CONTINUE
along side other failed programs of the nigerian state like PHCN - PROBLEM HAS CHANGE NAME

Poster, i hope say you enjoyed your stay in PHC cos its a great place no matter how you view it
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by aieromon(m): 5:25pm On Oct 07, 2009
This is fun compared to my present experience in Kurfi,Katsina undecided
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by whitesturd(f): 5:31pm On Oct 07, 2009
Why did the poster keep us in suspense now.pls continue.its interesting.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by semid4lyfe(m): 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
Interesting! I guess we all have things to say about N.Y.S.C. Maybe, one day I'll post my own N.Y.S.C experience too.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Shola2009(m): 5:48pm On Oct 07, 2009
^^ abi ooo, me too, lol
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by ToToChoper: 5:48pm On Oct 07, 2009
It would be merely unimpressive balderdash without an addendum that includes your loyal "gbenchin" activities as servitude to our great nation.

But shhhhhhhhhh!!!! don't say I told you that, think of the selling point as "what you can do for your country".
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by jidobaba(m): 5:54pm On Oct 07, 2009
but, seriously, who wants to read about anybody's fuking NYSC experience. if dat was d defining chapter of ur lack-lustre life, why dont u keep it to ur bloody self  angry
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Carlosein(m): 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
jidobaba:

but, seriously, who wants to read about anybody's fuking NYSC experience. if dat was d defining chapter of your lack-lustre life, why dont u keep it to your bloody self  angry

you don't want to read, yet you clicked on the thread. Is it by force to comment

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by seun001(m): 6:03pm On Oct 07, 2009
u have completed your Corperhood 15 yrs back and u still have this vivid recollection?

or u are adding salt and pepper to make it interesting? wink wink wink cheesy cheesy
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Carlosein(m): 6:07pm On Oct 07, 2009
^^^^ The OP and sauron are two different persons.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by totalfact(m): 6:17pm On Oct 07, 2009
Your experience is smilar to mine!
Meanwhile, differs in some areas, because on mine, I enjoyed every segment of NYSC year!

Merci beacoup!
Je Voudrails merci!
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by santakris(m): 6:33pm On Oct 07, 2009
Cool. I had my mine in Borno State. Men it was terrible.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by kellorah: 6:42pm On Oct 07, 2009
No door?! My goodness!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by na2day2(m): 6:56pm On Oct 07, 2009
@ poster

no offense to u, but rivers state is in the south
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by amaechijay: 7:15pm On Oct 07, 2009
[sup]My apologies for being a little persnickety but isn't Rivers State in the south? [quote][/quote]

All the people living in the west refer to all the states down there (Cross River,Akwa Ibom,Imo,Abia,Ebonyi,Enugu,Anambra and even Edo and Delta) as EAST
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by na2day2(m): 7:31pm On Oct 07, 2009
amaechijay:

[sup]My apologies for being a little persnickety but isn't Rivers State in the south?

All the people living in the west refer to all the states down there (Cross River,Akwa Ibom,Imo,Abia,Ebonyi,Enugu,Anambra and even Edo and Delta) as EAST

i guess, they need an education
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 07, 2009
na2day?:

@ poster

no offense to u, but rivers state is in the south
were you always asleep during geography classes? grin
south south! haba!!! we all know that apart from the north, excluding the middle belt, the other region is the south! then we have south south, south west, and south east.  cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by Tmoni(m): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2009
which kain smelling suspense the imposter come keep us,

i was expecting some serious gist like the other bellview gal

me, i served in Bayelsa and was among the first set of corpers to have 2 different governors at swearing in and POP

and if the above is anything close to ur story, then i would win a "Man Booker" prize for my NYSC tales,

from crossing high seas to batch C corpers,
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by illusion2: 9:24pm On Oct 07, 2009
Did u say early 90s ? You go don become grandmother now be dat . . . . tongue
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by mascott(m): 9:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
Iranoladun:

[color=#770077]I have always felt the need to share my NYSC experience and the impact it has on my career and life.
I hope you’d find one thing useful therein.

MY NYSC STORY

I was posted to Rivers state for my NYSC stint in the early 90s and I tried all I could to change it to any of the western state.  Why?
1.  I have spent all my life in the west (Lagos, Oyo, Osun and Kwara) and have never been to the east

If you truly spent one year in Rivers state without realizing its in the south, then seriously the NYSC needs to be scrapped as a matter of urgency. WORD!!!
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by kellorah: 9:42pm On Oct 07, 2009
Who cares where exactly it's located?! I lived in PH nearly all my life and didn't know if it was in the East, West or South (but I just knew it wasn't in the North) and it didn't affect me one bit. Yes, it's good to know where u r but it's not the end of the world if u don't.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Rivers State by aieromon(m): 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
Seriously,if you class Port Harcourt,Rivers State as being in the Eastern part of Nigeria,your'e clearly a slowpoke undecided
Am just sayin' tongue

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NYSC Orientation Camp In Ekiti Was Attacked / NYSC: Corpers Nationwide Angry Over Incomplete Payment Of Election Allowance / NYSC Announces 2019 Batch B Stream Two Registration Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.