Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,446 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? (2868 Views)

Four Robbery Suspects Subjected To Jungle Justice, Die In Police Custody / Ogun Police Arrests Cultists For Armed Robbery, Recovers 10 Cars (photo) / Automobile Armed Robbery Suspect Nabbed (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by naijacutee(f): 3:23pm On Dec 18, 2006
Hi everyone, I need everyones opinion on this no matter how crazy your opinion sounds.

Can we please have suggestions on how to reduce the armed burglary rates in Nigeria? What can the government/individuals do to if not eradicate armed robbery, at least significantly reduce the figures

- Do you think the rates would be lower if there were more jobs available targeted at young able-bodied men?
- Or that the government should ban imported guns rather than imported clothing?
- Or should the banks get ATM facilities to eliminate the need to carry around huge amounts of money?
- (And introduce payment by cards?)

Please lets feel free to critique the points above and share any additional ones we might have.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:55am On Dec 19, 2006
- Or should the banks get ATM facilities to eliminate the need to carry around huge amounts of money?
Yes, banks and businesses should collaborate to make this available everywhere in the country. there just too much cash on show.

I think the police can follow up robbery incidents too instead of closing the case just after 24hrs

The police should keep a record of the number of guns and other ammunition in the station all the time so people wont sneak them off for robbers.

the rates will certainly be lower if there are more jobs for young people irrespective of the qualification, some think they can't work without a degree
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by Nobody: 3:35am On Dec 19, 2006
Let the armed robbers in power repent of their ways first!
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by mazaje(m): 5:20pm On Dec 19, 2006
davidylan you have said it all let the bastards in power repent first else acts like the link below will never stop.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=66105
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by naijacutee(f): 10:34am On Dec 20, 2006
davidylan:

Let the armed robbers in power repent of their ways first!
mazaje:

davidylan you have said it all let the bastards in power repent first else acts like the link below will never stop.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=66105

It is very true that the 'bastards in power' must repent of their ways first, but it is also an undeniable fact that we are all (potentially) , affected by armed robbery. So what if they decide not to repent and we have to take matters into our hands. What if we decide to work independent of them and work out a solution. What can we do? I know that we are not totally powerless against this trend as we are 131 million strong.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 20, 2006
naijacutee:

It is very true that the 'bastards in power' must repent of their ways first, but it is also an undeniable fact that we are all (potentially) , affected by armed robbery. So what if they decide not to repent and we have to take matters into our hands. What if we decide to work independent of them and work out a solution. What can we do? I know that we are not totally powerless against this trend as we are 131 million strong.

Those armed robbers in power draw up your country's budget, it is they who sell all our oil blocs, they sold NEPA, NITEL, 1004 housing estate.
How do the masses take matters into their own hands? How do the masses fight robbers in power on hungry stomachs?

When citizens are reduced to scavenging for oil in damaged pipelines, eating out of rubbish heaps, sleeping under bridges while the greatest scam artists and robbers in power stash away our collective wealth in private accounts, it is impossible to expect those citizens to take matters into their own hands.

When you say "we", you seem to be comfortable saying this since you live in a country where you do not have to pray for drugs, queue for fuel, beg for your salary, attend a night vigil just to make a 30 min road journey, build fortresses to keep out armed robbers, run your own private NEPA and water corporation!
Think about the larger part of that "we" who have to "take matters into their own hands" dying for lack of drugs, perishing by police bullets for the sake of N20, roaming the streets for 10yrs without jobs!

The root of nigeria's problems is not the people, it is those in power who have bastardised the nation to the extent that ordinary citizens have been forced to wage a war of the survival of the fittest.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by naijacutee(f): 11:28am On Dec 20, 2006
True talk. I do totally agree with you, davidylan. Our major problem, not only on Nigeria but in the whole of Africa, is our greedy, power-hungry government. This problem did not start today, in fact we have been so used to it that we have adjusted our lifestyles to accomodate our problem. We pray for drugs and if they don't come, we sit there and die. We queue for fuel and if it runs out, we use our legs. We hope Nepa gives us electricity and if they on't we have a candle, lantern or generator somewhere nearby. We queue for jobs 10 years and on after qualifying and if they don't come, we turn to each other, killing and stealing. We have been thinking like this for so long - where has it taken us?

I believe if God doesn't thrown down the perfect leader from heaven or we, nigerians do not have a major paradigm shift, we will continue to suffer. I say we, because I am a nigerian. I have lived in Nigeria all my life so I understand the desperation of the situation much more than you think.

I think that it is unfair for you to insinuate that I am a comfortable person who is "overseas" and doesn't know what exactly is going on Nigeria. If I was comfortable, I wouldn't have thought about this post. I am only where I am to observe, learn and bring home. I do not sit here and tell Nigerians that there is nothing they can do if the government can't help them.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 20, 2006
naijacutee:

I think that it is unfair for you to insinuate that I am a comfortable person who is "overseas" and doesn't know what exactly is going on Nigeria. If I was comfortable, I wouldn't have thought about this post. I am only where I am to observe, learn and bring home. I do not sit here and tell Nigerians that there is nothing they can do if the government can't help them.

Sorry, my post was not meant to make such insinuations. appologies if it sounded like that.
My main aim was to point out the fact that it is easy for those of us outside the country to wonder why Nigerians are not being more vociferous in demanding their rights from a leprous government. The problem is those in power keep the citizenry trapped in a vicious cycle of poverty so they can go on robbing the country blind!

For the few who have managed to speak out, most are either dead, forced into exile or keeping regular appointments with the SSS.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:39am On Dec 21, 2006
I think banks and businesses can introduce CCTV cameras for areas covering the whole of the street or area they are located innocent people are armed/injured when their premises come under attack.

some neighbourhood can also contribute money to introduce CCTV cameras that use inverters or other temproray source of electricity in case NEPA dont perform as usual
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by mazaje(m): 12:15pm On Dec 21, 2006
The armed robber are getting their inspirations from the bastard pen robbers in power, unless they repent and get their acts together and decide to get things right, acts like the link below will never stop because it seems to be happening on a daily basis these days.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200612211495550
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by naijacutee(f): 8:25pm On Dec 21, 2006
LoverBwoy:

I think banks and businesses can introduce CCTV cameras for areas covering the whole of the street or area they are located innocent people are armed/injured when their premises come under attack.

some neighbourhood can also contribute money to introduce CCTV cameras that use inverters or other temproray source of electricity in case NEPA don't perform as usual
Ah. In Naija won't they steal the CCTV camera before the operation starts?
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:46am On Dec 22, 2006
naijacutee:

Ah. In Naija won't they steal the CCTV camera before the operation starts?

DooooH!! why didnt i think of that lmao

*Sighs* Na wa o

hmm i guess they'll invent a new one for nigeria especially, actually they can make them very discrete like some in the city
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by bamdil(m): 8:45am On Dec 22, 2006
I guess in case of CCTV, that wont be neccessary, what Nigeria need is to acquire the Space Satellite that can easily get what is happening in a particular place @ a particular period of time. This is how it is been used, an emergency call is received, a police officer try to spot the location of the crime through the Satellite and get how many criminals are involved, then send down troops to combat with the criminals. This is what they use in most advanced contries.

The problem in Nigeria is Government. I mean people in government and the masses, government doesn't want to embark upon such a thing. And masses are not aware of such a thing, even though they are how many people can endeavour to get that for his state. Corporate bodies like banks and companies have not been able to provide ordinary vehicles to police let alone getting such a satellite for the country or state.
If this is done, crime rate in Nigeria will be reduced cople with police performing their duty as expected.

1 Like

Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2006
I guess in case of CCTV, that wont be neccessary, what Nigeria need is to acquire the Space Satellite that can easily get what is happening in a particular place @ a particular period of time.  This is how it is been used, an emergency call is received, a police officer try to spot the location of the crime through the Satellite and get how many criminals are involved, then send down troops to combat with the criminals.  This is what they use in most advanced contries. 

Are you sure?
what's the point of trying to locate the spot of the crime, you can't use satellite to identify the culprits
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by bamdil(m): 8:15am On Dec 27, 2006
Are you sure?
what's they point of trying to locate the spot of the crime, you can't use satellite to identify the culprits

Though the satellite can't get the real face of the culprit it can show the exact location and try to get a slight view of the culprit. U know the satellite view the scene directly from the space, it will only show the backview or the head part of the culprit and not the front view.
This is better than not getting any information at all.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by LoverBwoy(m): 10:08am On Dec 27, 2006
well i think that would be too expensive, it's not like they are looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction

I guess in case of CCTV, that wont be neccessary, what Nigeria need is to acquire the Space Satellite that can easily get what is happening in a particular place @ a particular period of time.  This is how it is been used, an emergency call is received, a police officer try to spot the location of the crime through the Satellite and get how many criminals are involved, then send down troops to combat with the criminals.  This is what they use in most advanced contries. 

the caller can simply tell the receiver where,what, the problem is
The police officer can then direct their nearest patrol teams to the location
If there are CCTVs around, the police can use it to determine innocent passers-by and criminals

space satellite can also be a cctv by the way  wink
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by bamdil(m): 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2006
Loverbwoy,It's not that expensive. Do you really believe it that Nigeria can acquire it?

well i think that would be too expensive, it's not like they are looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction
undecided
This will even prove to the outside world that Nigeria is capable of handling any terrorist attack in case one occur.
It will be wise if only this is bought and start to be used before the oncoming election in order to reduce the evil act that will be perpetrated by the politicians.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:39pm On Dec 27, 2006
Ok, having a space satellite is a good idea but it cannot reduce/stop rigging
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by bamdil(m): 7:27am On Dec 28, 2006
LoverBwoy:

Ok, having a space satellite is a good idea but it cannot reduce/stop rigging

I quite agree with U. "It can't stop rigging."
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by naijacutee(f): 9:11pm On Jan 31, 2007
If the government decides to set up CCTVs to reduce armed robbery, where do you think they will start from? Ajegunle? No. They will start from Ikoyi and V.I, where they, their families and friends live. What effect would this have on the robbers?? Would they not shift to areas where they are sure they will not be caught? i.e poorer areas?

Another example of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Besides, I personally think that putting CCTV in a country where 60% of the population is hungry will only result in big business : People ripping off the units, and selling them to buy food!
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by debosky(m): 9:21pm On Jan 31, 2007
Insincerity is a major problem. do you know how many people have reported armed robbers and had the police tell the robbers

'mr lagbaja reported you', and the fellow gets dealt with? If the police prosecuted and used all the info they've got so far we'd have fewer

problems. The truth is when law enforcement start doing their work at the bare minimum, not with the impunity we're hearing now, everyone

just does whatever they want without any fear.

secondly mop up all the weapons, make the borders less porous, these days you can get a gun for 1,000 naira and go and rob.
Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by naijacutee(f): 10:56pm On Jan 31, 2007
debosky:

Insincerity is a major problem. do you know how many people have reported armed robbers and had the police tell the robbers

'mr lagbaja reported you', and the fellow gets dealt with? If the police prosecuted and used all the info they've got so far we'd have fewer

problems. The truth is when law enforcement start doing their work at the bare minimum, not with the impunity we're hearing now, everyone

just does whatever they want without any fear.

secondly mop up all the weapons, make the borders less porous, these days you can get a gun for 1,000 naira and go and rob.
You have a point there, debosky.  We need some more justice in the system. . .  So people will stop thinking they can get away with things just with 'connection' and bribes.

However, like someone mentioned earlier, when you pay a policeman =N= 9,000 how can one expect him not to seek alternative sources of income. . . which in this case might be the robbers themselves?

Therefore, I guess we cannot leave the government out of this either.

Re: Armed Robbery : Which Is The Way Forward? by tck2000(m): 11:59am On May 31, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Obituary Poster Of The Air Provost Killed By HER BF / Shock As Police Recover 20 Skulls At Aba Dump Site / Viewers Discretion: Lifeless Bodies Of The Prison Break Victims In Abakaliki.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.