Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,518 members, 7,847,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 11:37 AM

Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study (590 Views)

How To Succeed In Bulk SMS Business In Nigeria. My Story A Case Study / How Can I Log Into A Site Like Nairaland As Admin / How I Made 25 Adsense Approvals In A Month | A Case Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study by StreetCred: 11:22am On Sep 11, 2016
Morning Webmasters,
It has always been my wish and dream to build a forum like nairaland for my final year project. I love the functionality and effectiveness since I joined 2011.

Fortunately, I just got it approved so I can do it as my project.

Please I need mentorship, advice or any form of help.

Am going to be using

Bootstrap
html, CSS, JavaScript ,jQuery
PHP/MySQL

cc/ seun
javanian
ITbomb
guru
dhtml18
boomshasha,
Re: Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study by RealAdewole(m): 12:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
Wish you Goodluck and A or A-

if u no want Goodluck u can return it for a Change
Re: Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study by StreetCred: 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2016
RealAdewole:
Wish you Goodluck and A or A-

if u no want Goodluck u can return it for a Change
smiles.. Thanks.. any advise, notable points to be taken??
Re: Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study by RealAdewole(m): 12:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
StreetCred:

smiles..
Thanks..
any advise, notable points to be taken??
study your supervisor mood before any session with him/her, if u noticed s/he is nt in a good mood n u want to see him/her pls let it be another day
know when best to visit or call him/her

n most importantly dont argue with your supervisor even if u are right
Re: Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study by toheebDOTcom(m): 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2016
Hey, it's a project, I don't think you will want to go too hard on yourself. This is not a time to learn but to act as you will definitely be facing a timeline... 

The question is how vast are you with any of this technologies? That's definitely going to affect your delivery time. 

Here are my advice
Use frameworks wisely. 
1. Twitter bootstrap for the Front-End -html, css. It will hasten your speed. 

How large do you want to make it? 
If it is something minimal that you can always extend and yet fully functional, don't use a framework for the back-end, that will be an overkill. This tutorial will speed you up... 

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-phpmysql-powered-forum-from-scratch--net-10188

However, if you want to take the challenge, step it up... then 
2. Laravel for back-end- php, MySQL 

This tutorial will guide you up as a beginner as well...

https://daylerees.com/codebright/

3. NEGLECT JQUERY/JAVASCRIPT or at least till you get the forum working. These are meant to enhance the website. Not compulsorily make it work. 

First thing first, know your supervisor, what he will like to expect. When I did my own project, my aim is to project the population of Lagos State University at a time when the population is dwindling down due to the fee hike to about 250k. On presenting my proposal to my supervisor, he expected something high from me, to project the population of Nigeria in years to come... 

That's when I knew that I have caused more trouble for myself. There are so many factors to consider, birth rate, death rate (with consideration of BH bombings as well) and immigrations as key factors. He requested me to get some data from The National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria of which I did... 

I would have caused more havoc to myself if I had wanted to provide something very concrete taking all possible factors cos I will end up using an higher order partial differential equations to generate an equation that does project it much more accurately. 

But it's a research that will take more time than your semester can give you. 

So I settled down for an higher order of ordinary differential equation taking the rate of population changes with respect to time. 

At the end of it, I was pretty damn very close to that of NBS projections and they must have used sophisticated tools. I even went an extra mile to conduct a statistical test to prove my good results. 

Anyways, at the end of it, I am happy with myself, got a lot of thumbs up from the panels as well as questions I wasnt able to answer. As far as I know, we were expecting to confirm my research work by correlating it with the census that was supposed to be carried out In 2016. (that is 10 years to the last one conducted). Census is not even on the agenda right now. And I wonder where my project is right now. In the dustbin? (I've seen some people's own there) or nicely kept somewhere waiting for that confirmation day. 

Here is my advice, I can see you have the passion like I did then, so do it do it for yourself, for the love of Learning, Studying, and Research! 

God help you with a lecturer like mine that will stretch your brain to make you do what you won't believe you could have pulled offgrin .I owe him.

Good luck man!
Re: Project Work: Nairaland As A Case Study by StreetCred: 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2016
toheebDOTcom:
Hey, it's a project, I don't think you will want to go too hard on yourself. This is not a time to learn but to act as you will definitely be facing a timeline... 

The question is how vast are you with any of this technologies? That's definitely going to affect your delivery time. 

Here are my advice
Use frameworks wisely. 
1. Twitter bootstrap for the Front-End -html, css. It will hasten your speed. 

How large do you want to make it? 
If it is something minimal that you can always extend and yet fully functional, don't use a framework for the back-end, that will be an overkill. This tutorial will speed you up... 

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-phpmysql-powered-forum-from-scratch--net-10188

However, if you want to take the challenge, step it up... then 
2. Laravel for back-end- php, MySQL 

This tutorial will guide you up as a beginner as well...

https://daylerees.com/codebright/

3. NEGLECT JQUERY/JAVASCRIPT or at least till you get the forum working. These are meant to enhance the website. Not compulsorily make it work. 

First thing first, know your supervisor, what he will like to expect. When I did my own project, my aim is to project the population of Lagos State University at a time when the population is dwindling down due to the fee hike to about 250k. On presenting my proposal to my supervisor, he expected something high from me, to project the population of Nigeria in years to come... 

That's when I knew that I have caused more trouble for myself. There are so many factors to consider, birth rate, death rate (with consideration of BH bombings as well) and immigrations as key factors. He requested me to get some data from The National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria of which I did... 

I would have caused more havoc to myself if I had wanted to provide something very concrete taking all possible factors cos I will end up using an higher order partial differential equations to generate an equation that does project it much more accurately. 

But it's a research that will take more time than your semester can give you. 

So I settled down for an higher order of ordinary differential equation taking the rate of population changes with respect to time. 

At the end of it, I was pretty damn very close to that of NBS projections and they must have used sophisticated tools. I even went an extra mile to conduct a statistical test to prove my good results. 

Anyways, at the end of it, I am happy with myself, got a lot of thumbs up from the panels as well as questions I wasnt able to answer. As far as I know, we were expecting to confirm my research work by correlating it with the census that was supposed to be carried out In 2016. (that is 10 years to the last one conducted). Census is not even on the agenda right now. And I wonder where my project is right now. In the dustbin? (I've seen some people's own there) or nicely kept somewhere waiting for that confirmation day. 

Here is my advice, I can see you have the passion like I did then, so do it do it for yourself, for the love of Learning, Studying, and Research! 

God help you with a lecturer like mine that will stretch your brain to make you do what you won't believe you could have pulled offgrin .I owe him.

Good luck man!

Thank you sir
I appreciate a lot
you have really given me a lot to consider and a very good headstart.

(1) (Reply)

$50 Bing Ad Coupon For 5k / In Need Of A Website Programmer . / Dreamhost Black Friday $50 Discount Coupon 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.