Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,692 members, 7,813,285 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite (5175 Views)

Mercy Akide-udoh Shows Off Swimwear Body / Mercy Akide Name Amongst FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Classic Players / Mercy Akide-udoh (former Super Falcon Player) Inducted Into USL Hall Of Fame-pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by gaby(m): 9:20pm On Dec 18, 2006
OMG what was our own Mercy Akide doing with her presentation at the Fifa Gala, what a disgrace she couldnt even read, Na wa ooooh, i was almost shedding tears for her she was even laughing at her stupidity,
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by loyika(m): 10:27am On Dec 19, 2006
No be only you tongue

I had to hide my head in shame; No seriously i actually had to hide behind a cabinet before she ruined my brain cells with her stuttering.

Please isn't the babe meant to be in America , Jesus even guys in the Village back here in Naija can read and write, what does she do at Uni in Yankee, Play ball and have sex

It seems to be a trend with our footballers, even the home based stars sometimes speak better english than the so called foreign based ones. Seep Blatter looked as if he was going to grab the mic away from her and spare us all.

The nominees kept looking at her like "Why the F#@k are you laughing !!"

I was laughing cheesy cheesy so hard at the looks on their faces that i started crying!!  cry cry grin

Mercy Please if you knew you couldn't read, why didn't you just speak "broken!!" or in a local Nigerian dialect , i am sure FIFA would have translated it for you, since the speech was already scripted and all you had to do was recite what was on paper. Even a "wafi" accent would have been ok. Please take your studies seriously, especially English 101

Stop disgracing your father land, as Sound Sultan would say "Area Oh!!" grin

cool GOONER 89
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 10:31am On Dec 19, 2006
so that girl is a nigerian grin grin
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 10:37am On Dec 19, 2006
@Gaby & Loyika

With due respect to Mercy.

You know where these players come from?

They know nothing.

THEY JUST DONT WANT TO UPGRADE THEMSELVE TO THE NEW LEVEL.

About 8 years ago, Mutiu Adepoju cannot even analyse a simple match despite playing top football in Spain for 8 years.
Why do Uche Okechukwu always run away from Press?
When Kanu was in Ajax, [ Let me just shut up here because i like this guy so much ]

Tai Solarin says "Knowledge is power". To hell with money with no education.

At the same time, its not just Education. Yekini is not educated but Baba can speak fluently in about 6 languages.

One of the reasond why Sam Okparaji,Adokie Amazimaka, Segun Odegbami, Victor Ikpeba andbig boss Keshi belong to another level.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 10:40am On Dec 19, 2006
mukina2:

so that girl is a nigerian grin grin

You are not serious at all.

I just dont want to hit your country here grin
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by loyika(m): 10:48am On Dec 19, 2006
Oga Kola cool

The Babe is at University in America, What do they teach her in "Igbo!!"

Face it, it was a huge embarrasment!!

Why don't these folks enrol for classes, thats why after their careers they end up doing Nothing!!

@ Muki cool

Lets not even go there grin

cool GOONER 89
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 10:52am On Dec 19, 2006
@Loyika

American University?

Please dont go there.

If i start that now, they will be calling me names.

I prefer to go to Abakaliki University than US University.

Mary Onyali was running alla round the globe but still graduated with a good grade from Texas University. tongue
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 10:56am On Dec 19, 2006
akola my country men and woman are much more better that her grin grin grin

loyika i didnt do anything o grin
i thot she was from  . .native mauritania grin
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 11:04am On Dec 19, 2006
I have nothing less than 10 salo as friends.

From the way they speak their Pidgin( sorry English) em em.

Like i told you, why did i refuse to go to a seminar twice there? tongue

And their ladies( Jujuuuuuuuuuu)

I got to stop here.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 11:13am On Dec 19, 2006
akola i dont know what lady or ladies who gave you juj but am sure they are not really salone girls grin grin tongue

if a nigerian start speaking here you'll know especially the hausas shocked shocked grin grin
"like the one that is running now" grin grin grin
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by gaby(m): 11:35am On Dec 19, 2006
Loyika im so glad you followed it and could confirm this story, bobs i was so annoyed sad and ashamed all at the same time at a point you could see Blatter almost trying to push her off and just grab the mic and continue with the presentation because she was just blabbing and making a fool out of herself, the contestants were just looking at her like whats she saying because even i couldnt understand her english was a blend of her native language and pidgin i suppose because that was sure not the script handed to her, My people i was sweating and screaming what a disgrace, Obasanjo would even do better than her,

These beautiful ladies some of them have been nominated before and the others this is their first time and today we have to know who will it be, hahahahahaha, i have played with them and now is the time to know who will it be, hahahahahaha, i was like shut up fool nobody is laughing if any they are laughing at your stupidity,

I wonder why Fifa no softly leave us out of this one sef everyone will be asking where is that babe from and they'd be like Nigeria and y'all know what next will follow,

Kapish!!!!!!!
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by bolaoni(m): 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2006
e wo

why didn't I watch the show sef. Totally forgot it will be on air and was with ,

Thanks God I didn't watch it sha. Shame for kill me angry
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Grizzly(m): 5:34pm On Dec 19, 2006
Either she took drugs before that presentation, or - i just don't know,
When she started, i took everything in good faith, but along the line!!  shocked shocked shocked
I had to leave. it was all just very bizarre the way she was reading nonesense and that uncanny laugh. .
Didnt they let her practice or what, ?
She actually said Martha, the woman who won the female category award, had played for 300 years!!! grin grin grin My Good God!  shocked lipsrsealed
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 6:47pm On Dec 19, 2006
@Akola see ur country men oo . .i didnt say nothing grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Grizz are you better? tongue grin grin grin
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by IroroRoyal(f): 6:55pm On Dec 19, 2006
Hmmmmmm! shocked shocked
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by gaby(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2006
Mercy Akide was sure high on drugs believe me with the way she was behaving on stage last nite,
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by gaby(m): 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2006
Mercy Akide was sure high on drugs believe me with the way she was behaving on stage last nite,
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by teeroy(m): 11:21am On Dec 20, 2006
I wonder whether the organisers did not give her the scripts in advance. It was terrible to see. I watched it with my mom and she was asking me if that was a camerounian. I know say grammar no be our language but we should be at least presentable in public. A little rehearsal would have helped.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 11:37am On Dec 20, 2006
its okay haaa she took a lil dose of something . .
we all make mistakes .its shocked shocked
but its in the past now tongue grin grin grin grin
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by PDF: 11:43am On Dec 20, 2006
I don't know what happened to her, it may have been caused by stage fright.

She said in an interview with Brila FM that she didn't know she was going to present the award until she got to Zurich. She was quite fluent in the interview, I must say.

Or could she have been over-excited?
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by loyika(m): 11:53am On Dec 20, 2006
Too bad most of the Worldwide audience that witnessed that debacle don't tune in to Brilla FM , she should hide her head in shame tongue.

Does one need to practice a simple speech already written out for you, she wasn't giving a "State of the Union" speech

I just believe it was stage fright, which explains why she kept laughing continously grin

Anyway Mercy, don't be expecting any invites from Blatter in the near future grin grin

cool GOONER 89
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 11:57am On Dec 20, 2006
@Loyika

I beg , can you narate the actual scene to me.
I didnt watch it.
Must she be given a script?
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by PDF: 12:07pm On Dec 20, 2006
Even Edgar Davies was given a script.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 12:17pm On Dec 20, 2006
akola why didnt you ask me cheesy
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by loyika(m): 12:29pm On Dec 20, 2006
Oga Kola cool

Narrating it would mean i have to remember every detail of that nightmare, and i don't! Cause i am in a good mood today and wouldn't want to spoil it.

However we look at it, Mercy messed up, maybe she panicked, maybe she was over excited, or just maybe she can't read i have no idea. But what i do know is that it was so embarassed (words fail me at this venture)

Oh well like i said, FIFA will strike her name off any presenters list grin

cool GOONER 89
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 12:52pm On Dec 20, 2006
@Loyika

Lest i forget, I need to ask you few things off-forum.

I have sent similar to few others that i have their contact.

Can you mail me please.

Is it an award night or what?

@Muki

I am expecting your mail on that subject. Many thanks.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 1:01pm On Dec 20, 2006
@ak msg sent
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Akolawole(m): 1:10pm On Dec 20, 2006
@Muki

Reply sent.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by twinstaiye(m): 1:45pm On Dec 20, 2006
I think she did her best, she did not however disgraced us as you people claimed, she finished the assignment she was given and it was only that she stammer on some words sometimes, notwithstanding, she did us proud. I wonder what you people will say if she could nt finish the assignment. There is also another presenter before her who equally stammer on her speech. Please give kudos to her for even finishing, and for even appearing at the occasion to represent Nigeria.
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by loyika(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2006
Well

If she did us proud, then what is a disgrace , do you call that stammering She was disappointing, thats all.

How could she not finish the assingment , were you expecting them to cut her off or for Blatter to grab the MIC from her .

Listen, Twinstaiye, we have gotten to a stage where we have to condemn rubbish, and Akide's performance was rubbish tongue. Do you think she was happy with her performance , do you think Blatter was happy with her performance , How many Nigerians that watched the awards would be happy to be associated with that time space which was allocated to her .

The performance was crap, everyone says so, if you feel it did you proud , then nothing more can be said.

cool GOONER 89
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by mukina2: 2:09pm On Dec 20, 2006
haba loyika the girl is ashamed . .
you are all ashamed .fine grin
but everyone makes a mistake
i pity the girl .if she watch the replay of that . .i'm sure she'll faint

thank God . . . . . , cheesy
Re: What A Shame From Our Own Mercy Akide At The Fifa Gala Awards Nite by Grizzly(m): 2:07pm On Dec 26, 2006
@Mukks tongue
even stage fright cant lure me into doing that!  tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Super Eagles Line -up That Will Take Us To South Africa. Time For Discussion / Rollover Of 1.50 Odds / Deposit Funds To 1960bet Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.