Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them (453 Views)

Follow These Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Heart / The Truth About Addiction / Top 10 Fertility Myths Debunked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them by Raziii(m): 3:29am On Sep 13, 2016
We all have fears for some certain foods, that we avoid them like plague. Some weird, some absurd and some funny like the one I had as a child. Then the rule is, you are not allowed to eat beans if you have just finished eating mango because it will result in your death! And there were times when I would take the risk hoping nothing happens and the truth is, nothing did happen. But for the rest of the day, I would be on the edge of my seat, a slight stomach upset and I'll be like gosh, who asked me to eat this mango ooh. That was a myth I still don't know its origin till this very day, but back then to us, it was real and scary.

Truth is, there a lot of other nutritional myths out there, some where once scientifically proven or where they? Why others are simply made up. Let me run you through 10 of the biggest nutritional myth and the truth behind them.

1. "Eating your food in small portions increases metabolism"

Digesting your meal does raise your metabolism a bit but when you compare that with the total energy used in Eating the meal it makes no difference. In fact some studies have shown that having your meal in smaller portions often makes it harder to feel full, there by leading to an increase intake of calories.

2. "Drinking iced water makes you fat"

If you are from Nigeria like I am, then you must have heard this one a thousand time, and two ways you could receive this information are, through the man who is desperately trying to sell his 'science defying' drugs, drugs that can cure AIDS. Or you can also hear this myth through your aunt who is spending the weekend in your home.

Drinking chilled water does not make you fat. Aside the other benefits of cold water, it can actually help you weigh loss because when you drink cold water,tour body has to bring the temperature of the water up to its own which is about 37 degrees Celsius. And for every litre, your body burns about 30 calories.

3. "Eggs are bad for your heart"

Egg contains a substantial amount of cholesterol and we have been told that too much cholesterol is bad for the heart. So a lot of people either throw the yuck away or stay away from eggs completely. You have been missing because you've been believing a myth that just won't go away.

A lot of studies have shown that most healthy people can eat an egg a day without problem because the body spy put the effect under control by producing less cholesterol itself. Egg is a fantastic source of protein, healthy fat and other important nutrients our body needs.

Hey! Hang in there, before you run off to the nearest supermarket to get a dozen eggs for tonight it is advisable to limit your intake of cholesterol generally. An egg a day is enough. Sounds better than none, isn't it?

4. "Carbohydrates make you fat"

How often have you heard this from your gym instructor? A hundred times or more? I bet you have lost count. The myth about Carbohydrates dates as far back but became biologically proven when Dr. Atkins published his manifesto, The theory of low carbs/ no carbs and similar books followed.

But nutritionist in recent times have put those theories to sword. The truth is, there is nothing inherently fattening about Carbohydrates just as Jean Harvey- Berino PhD puts it "it's eating too many calories that makes you fat period!"

When going for Carbohydrates, make sure you go for the 'good carbs' which includes [whole grains, beans, fruits and vegetables] and leave out the surgery and refined Carbohydrates which includes [white bread, pasta, doughnuts] as grey may raise your risk of developing heart related problems.

5. " Eating late at night will make you fat"

If you are watching your weight or once did, then you should be familiar with this one. A lot of people have gone to bed hungry hence making them 'over eat' the next morning.

Although it doesn't ideal but that does not mean you should deprive yourself of doing it if the need arises because there is no relationship between weight gain and late eating.

The human body needs 3500 calories for men and 2500 for women everyday and it's ability to gain weight is mainly about what you eat and how much, and not when you eat.

6. "As long you are eating healthy foods, calories don't matter"

How many of you have been left frustrated by this, you've got rid of all the 'fatty foods' just like your gym instructor asked you to, but you are still not seeing any improvement. Have you been believing this myth?

The truth is, the major benefits of replacing the 'fatty foods' with the healthy ones is in its health benefits and not really in calories. Whole wheat pasta has just as many calories as 'regular' pasta, same goes for white and brown rice. So if you indulge in this healthy foods without cutting down on your calories intake, you're likely to still gain weight.

7. "Eating extra protein builds muscles"

I've always wanted to be a sprinter, then I would go a whole week feeding mainly on abundance of protein hoping it would help build my muscles rapidly. I was wrong.

If you are doing that, you would only be Pilling up more fat which us the opposite of what you need because protein intake beyond your daily need will be stored as fat.

To build muscle, you need to eat healthy diet and that does not only include protein but Carbohydrates, fat and oil and the rest. Also incorporate strength training.

http://slimandbold..com.ng/2016/09/10-biggest-nutritional-myths-and-truth.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them by Kwamecron(m): 3:53am On Sep 13, 2016
Ok
Re: 10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them by Kowor(f): 3:54am On Sep 13, 2016
I followed and avoided. Especially 2,4&5
Re: 10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them by sommyblaze(m): 6:09am On Sep 13, 2016
alright
Re: 10 Biggest Nutrition Myths And The Truth Behind Them by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 13, 2016
Well written!!

(1) (Reply)

Zuckerberg And Chan Promise To Donate $3b To End Disease / Baby Girl Born Twice In Texas / Natural Unisex Pink Lips Cream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.