Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,208 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala (387 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By Standard Chartered As Director, To Earn £130k / After Rejecting Nigeria, Okonjo-iweala Bags BIG Appointment / Asian Bank, AIIB, Appoints Okonjo-Iweala To Advisory Panel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by agwom(m): 7:03am On Sep 14, 2016
A former minister of Finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala said she would not be available to serve the present administration if overtures were made to her by President Muhammadu Buhari, noting that she has contributed her best to the country.

Dr Iweala who spoke on Aljazeera TV programme, The Stream on Monday, said it was better to allow those managing Nigeria’s economy presently to do the best they could, noting that there could be solutions to the present economic decline in the country.

She said that having a firm control over the rate of inflation in addition to ensuring a stable exchange rate should be the priority of African governments. She expressed regrets that the economic gains recorded in Africa have started to erode in the last two to three years.

When asked what would be her top three priorities to resolving the country’s current economic crisis if she had remained the finance minister, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala said she would prefer the current managers of the economy talk about it.

“I have contributed the best I could to the country. It is still the most interesting country in the world. It is better to leave those who are managing now to say what they would do.

“All I can say is that there are solutions. Nigeria is a vibrant country. I love it so much. I know it is going to come out of this one way or another,” she said.

On the current unemployment rate and youth restiveness across the country, the former Finance minister advised the youths to create their own jobs and be employers of labour.

“I will advise young people not to wait for employment. They should create jobs to employ six people or more.

“During my time in government, we had a programme called You Win designed to support young entrepreneurs. The whole idea was to have a business plan competition.

“The idea was that they should create jobs. And each, created 9-10 jobs. The World Bank did an evaluation of it and found it good. I do believe that the government should come in. We started a peer to peer mentoring. Now, one of the things I want to say is that creating employment is not only about struggles, it is about managing success.”

On how the anti-corruption war was fought during her time in government, she simply replied: “It was a very tough fight.”

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/i-have-contributed-the-best-i-can-to-nigeria-okonjo-iweala/162307.html#UZ6oq8IfrIMLiTC8.99

Re: I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by MrOlihilistic: 7:06am On Sep 14, 2016
tongue
OK madam Iwella
Re: I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by princemillla(m): 7:10am On Sep 14, 2016
By watching the IB deplict our foreign reserved and empty our national treasure.... So sad

Wow no wonder the country can now be compare with new York and many states in America. Paper development madam
Re: I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by maryjan8(f): 7:14am On Sep 14, 2016
Good
Re: I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by paschal47(m): 7:23am On Sep 14, 2016
madam don't worry I know pride won't allow the dullard seek for your assistance
Re: I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 14, 2016
Please consider Nigerians and not the administration ohhhh cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry Nigerians now attend more funeral service than Weddings ohhhhh cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: I Have Contributed The Best I Can To Nigeria: Okonjo Iweala by sarrki(m): 8:42am On Sep 14, 2016
Yes ma'am

You have diminished our economy

You have created artificial billionaires & Millionaires

So I believe you have contributed negatively to Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Needs A Revolution / How Can Nigeria Current Problem Be Solved? / Finance Minster Kemi Adeosun: I Don't Know When Recession Will End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.