Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize (7760 Views)

Nelson Mandela Dead 2013” : Nobel Peace Prize 1993 Killed By Internet Death Hoax / Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize / Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Horus(m): 10:16am On Oct 09, 2009
[size=15pt]Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize [/size]

US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8298580.stm

Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Kobojunkie: 11:31am On Oct 09, 2009
Oh brother!!!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by FBS: 12:07pm On Oct 09, 2009
Congrats! grin
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by mrperfect(m): 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
Thank God for his Life.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
Is this a joke or what?
What exatly has he achieved to earn this prize?
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by mchenry(m): 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2009
The nobel peace prize has become a popularity contest.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by McDoe(m): 12:14pm On Oct 09, 2009
Another feather to the cap thus proving cynics and critics wrong
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by okeey(m): 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2009
is good
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by craziest: 12:20pm On Oct 09, 2009
Suprise actually !!! yet confirm this cos he was not even listed as the favourites. The list included some indiduals who personally think they have don more
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by AKO1(m): 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2009
I wanted Morgan Tsvangari to win
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2009
A_K_O:

I wanted Morgan Tsvangari to win

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2009
Congrats to President Obama you have done well to deserve this.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by sammytb(m): 12:25pm On Oct 09, 2009
Wow am currently watching it on cnn, ! He is d 3rd sitting US. President 2 win d peace prize. And its bearly 9 month in d white house, , how much more is our own presido Mr Yaradua goin 2do after 3years in office, !
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 12:26pm On Oct 09, 2009
Jimmy Carter I believe got one yea ?
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by McDoe(m): 12:27pm On Oct 09, 2009
mchenry:

He deserves it. The Norwegian Nobel Committee considered his efforts and involvement to strenghten international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. Remember, the initiator(s) of the prize stipulated that the peace price should go to " the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses'. This criteria has been surpassed by Obama via his avowed troops withdrawal; reaching out to the moslem world and telling the whole world that no single nation including the USA has monopoly of power and knowledge.
Congrats, Uncle Obama!

Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by kingchild(m): 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2009
obAMA 0BAMA OBAMA
WON LELELE WON O OBA
RIDE ON UNCLE.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by dave21: 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2009
well deserved
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Rosabelle(f): 12:40pm On Oct 09, 2009
The world should slow down. He's just one man. All these expectations on one persons shoulders?
I dont know what people do to earn the Nobel Peace Prize, but I think there were other known individuals who have done way more than him. Seems the "Obama bug" has gotten to Norway too. Not that Im complaining.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by kalmebad(f): 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2009
More greese to His elbow
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by kaypinchi(m): 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2009
Great News!
Well deserved prize to restore his mojo after the Olympics loss.

I love this Guy grin grin grin
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Kobojunkie: 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2009
mchenry:

You can say that again!!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by TEEZERO(m): 12:53pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosa: you are actually complaining.
You may take some time to read the citation on Obama by the Peace Prize committee.
He is definitely a man who wants everyone in the world to live respecting others' right to live. For that alone, he deserves the plume.
Even, an Hamas spokesman has just spoken on CNN that Obama deserves the award.
Rejoice with him, and wish him well.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by DeSplash: 1:02pm On Oct 09, 2009
Yea, he deserves it. Bush left U.S with more enemies than friends.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Sagamite(m): 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2009
Someone state one peace aim Obama has achieved.

Or is achievement not part of the criteria for a prize?

Even, let me go further, name one peace initiative Obama has developed that has reached an advanced stage.

This is shocking bad decision making.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Alxmyr(m): 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2009
A honour deserved,
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by muhsin(m): 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2009
I remain blase.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 1:25pm On Oct 09, 2009
To all those who want to hate on Obama: abeg where is your OWN NOBEL PRIZE? ABEG what have you done for your own community ?

The award is a recognition and compilelation of his work in Chicago and throughout his career. An award well deserved.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Rosabelle(f): 1:29pm On Oct 09, 2009
TEE ZERO:

Rosa: you are actually complaining.
You may take some time to read the citation on Obama by the Peace Prize committee.
He is definitely a man who wants everyone in the world to live respecting others' right to live. For that alone, he deserves the plume.
Even, an Hamas spokesman has just spoken on CNN that Obama deserves the award.
Rejoice with him, and wish him well.
I dont refute these things. Im just scared the world is looking for a kind of Messiah in that guy and he's just 1 man who can only achieve so much.
Obama is a wonderful character and has dreams and nobel visions the world hasnt heard a leader speak of in a while, and so there is this "bug" that bites everyone who looks at him or hears him speak.
But he hasnt "performed" yet. He's a wonderful talker and I think and believe he will achive a lot, but he hasnt "performed" yet. The world should allow the man breath. Give him space to work and stop heaping prizes on him he hasnt deserved.

There are many human-rights activists all over the world. There are people performing unbelieveable feats out there. Everyone wants to clap for Obama because he is the first black president.  Wanderful for him, but SO WHAT. After that, SO WHAT.
Theres much more to being a winner of this Peace Prize than being a half-cast who's father wasnt there when he was growing up. I have half-casts friends who had abscentee fathers too.
I like him as a person, but as a politician he is yet to achieve anything. Chicago is just another State in the US so I really cant be bothered about his achievements there.

The world should slow down on the guy. And thats why I said it seems the "Obama-bug" has gotten to Norway too.
I used to have a lot of respect for this Prize and the committee that does the selections, but I see right now any celebrity can win it.
I'd better go lobby!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by SkyBlue1: 1:29pm On Oct 09, 2009
LOOOL. THis is just too funny, the timing couldn't be more perfect in the most twisted of ways. Is Obama now going to send the recommended 40,000 soldiers to Afghanistan now that he has won this prize or is he going to feel obligated to thread the other path?
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 09, 2009
I dunno about this one man. . . . .

Not only is this award somewhat controversial but I do not understand why Obama has to go collect it.
He could have at least sent someone to pick it on his behalf.

His rating at the moment is pretty poor and i'm afraid this won't help at all.

E be like say the guy like 'owambe' sef
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by calyx: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2009
Does he deserve it? Well. . .i opened my mouth in awe when i heard it. Serious the committee should have opted to tarry awhile and see the direction of the peace declarations afterall hes still got 3 years at least to go.

But the will said said it can be given to the person that has done most for fraternity between nations. . .so congrats Mr Obama
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by xtremeidea(m): 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2009
e no make sense on what grounds? how has he promoted peace? this aint rite o!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Biafran Son/Daughter Won In The British Election & Become Parliamentary MPs! / Gbabo's Wife Being Molested / The Great Nation Of Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.