Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! (25205 Views)

Building Plan Of A 2 Bedroom Block Of 4 Flats - Need Suggestions / Decorative Stamped Concrete Floor / WELCOME TO OUR NEW CONSTRUCTION SITE IN P.H.(decorative stamped concrete) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by barakah(m): 6:38am On Sep 16, 2016
Hello House,
I have a building project on a full plot of land in a developing area in Lagos.
I intend to build a fence structure around it including a gate to keep predators out Like the one in the picture attached
For security reasons too, it was suggested that the fence should not go up high so that people can see what's happening from the outside.

Please i have the following questions:-
What height is best for this type of fence?
What metal material is best for the screen(burglary) part?
What is the standard dimensions for the screen part of the fence?
What alternatives are available for the burglary part of the fence?

Further ideas will be appreciated.
Looking forward to your kind suggestions and comments.
Thank you.

Cc:
mufutau55
EgunMogaji
HsLBroker
Abdulwastecx
segzy14
spyder880
lastpage

1 Share

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 16, 2016
barakah:
Hello House,
I intend to build a fence structure around it including a gate to keep predators out Like the one in the picture attached
For security reasons too, it was suggested that the fence should not go up high so that people can see what's happening from the outside.

Thank you.

Cc:
mufutau55
EgunMogaji
HsLBroker
Abdulwastecx
segzy14
spyder880
lastpage

1) I defer to the pro builders.

2) I don't want the neighbors to see what bestiality acts that my Dobermans are doing to the thiefs.

3) I won't put a gateman house next to the fence, it makes no security sense.

4) I don't want a decorative and attractive front scene. In fact, I want the front to look like an abandoned lot. This will fit my intended recluse living as I don't want to attract attention to myself.

The picture that you showed is exactly what I will try not to look like, but I dance to a different tune than most.

Good luck.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by barakah(m): 8:44pm On Sep 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

1) I defer to the pro builders.
2) I don't want the neighbors to see what bestiality acts that my Dobermans are doing to the thiefs.
3) I won't put a gateman house next to the fence, it makes no security sense.
4) I don't want a decorative and attractive front scene. In fact, I want the front to look like an abandoned lot. This will fit my intended recluse living as I don't want to attract attention to myself.
The picture that you showed is exactly what I will try not to look like, but I dance to a different tune than most.
Good luck.

I'll sleep over your idea, i may wake up and start dancing to thesame tune as you Sir.

4 Likes

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by timilehing(m): 6:45am On Sep 17, 2016
Nigerians & paranoid attitude sha. Robbers don't disturb house with fence abi undecided

3 Likes

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by techinfong: 6:45am On Sep 17, 2016
They aren't bad
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by gist4kidsblog: 6:45am On Sep 17, 2016
Ok

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by nony43(m): 6:46am On Sep 17, 2016
Abeg raise your fence high, it is when you show too much that they know so much about you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by project4OO: 6:47am On Sep 17, 2016
Beautiful smiley
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by africandollar: 6:47am On Sep 17, 2016
No idea mate, just wanna make a comment. By the way, I think bringing the fence lower and installing and electrocution system on top would be very effective for the purpose intended wink.

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Kizyte(m): 6:49am On Sep 17, 2016
I love them! Pictures later...
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by KINGwax007(m): 6:54am On Sep 17, 2016
barakah:
Hello House,
Thank you.

1. The design you posted is not REALLY FOR SECURITY, it is mainly for aesthetic satisfaction, bcoa if you have such a fence, u must be ready to have a well functioning gatehouse.

2. That is not a burglary proof in any way, it is just a design. The metal to be considered shld be strong enuff to support the restrictions of the rust effect over a long period of time, even with the painting

3. You must (if you're so worried abt ur security), have a working electrified barbed wire for uttermost security

+2347035593128

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by gerrardomendes(m): 6:56am On Sep 17, 2016
ok
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by troubleshooter: 7:06am On Sep 17, 2016
Wait
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 17, 2016
wink

Great! @ barakah

There is no standard measurement to the best of my knowledge as to what height or width the fencerails should be, but mostly what we have done so far are not above 1.0m height, as for the width I would advice after marking out the position for the gate the remaining space should be divided equally to arrive at a spacing not more than 1.8m or there about. So that they will all have same size, dont forget to reinforce your fence for strength, we have done some jobs that the fence rails are not equal and I that got me thinking if the Engr was thinking at all from the inception about how the finished product will look like.

As to what material you can use ? It all depends on how far you want to go financially. But you can chose from stainless steel, wrought iron, galvanized and mild steel.

You can make your gate and fencerails see through, and wont have problems as you won't be the first. Ask people with high fence and they will tell you they have had unwanted visitor at a point. The pattern of your fence dont protect you but God. Your best bet is an electric fence wire for high or low fence.

2 Likes

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by troubleshooter: 7:08am On Sep 17, 2016
barakah:
Hello House,

Thank you.

Cc:
mufutau55
EgunMogaji
HsLBroker
Abdulwastecx
segzy14
spyder880
lastpage

There's no harm in doing such fence if the neighbourhood is developed, safe and secure. Where there's no such harm, Pls put ur building on display by employing a see-through fencing with metal works with total height of 2.4 - 3m. The see-through section can be 1.2 - 1.5m high.
However, if the neighborhood is truly developing as u so said, Pls, safety 1st. Cover and eat your yam discreetly.
If u intend having ur gatehouse as shown, ensure there are less vulnerable points such as having a window on the fence wall. Odikwa risky gaan ni.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by morc(m): 7:09am On Sep 17, 2016
Brother congratulations on your project.
As a developing area, I advice you raise your fence high enough to prevent people from seeing inside cos people might be envying you and calling you a big man. As previously advised separate your gatehouse from your fence. Keep a low profile and get dogs. Cctv too if possible. Fence wiring is good for you.
Wish you the best

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Jethrolite(m): 7:16am On Sep 17, 2016
Nigerians and ugly architecture. Instead of focusing on creating good design, they will be wasting cement to compensate for lack of creativity. I hate that thing called parapet.

3 Likes

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by princeonx: 7:20am On Sep 17, 2016
Mine is the prison type, up to the decking of the house. I was seriously thinking of doing some work to it like reducing the height and installing some metal burglary but this Egunmogaji post make sense wella!!

3 Likes

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Flexherbal(m): 7:22am On Sep 17, 2016
I prefer low fence.
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Onyenna(m): 7:23am On Sep 17, 2016
.... Just observing..... I need all the ideas i can get...
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by sw: 7:27am On Sep 17, 2016
See sample
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by troubleshooter: 7:27am On Sep 17, 2016
Jethrolite:
Nigerians and ugly architecture. Instead of focusing on creating good design, they will be wasting cement to compensate for lack of creativity. I hate that thing called parapet.

The the functionalists have spoken! grin

2 Likes

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by tevanso(m): 7:49am On Sep 17, 2016
your mentality and live style determines the kind of fencing you need .if you have nothing to hide y building a fence like a prison, There is no thumb rule for the required height, just come up with what u like shikena ,afteral the fencing won't prevent the real armed robbers

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by adebaxton(m): 8:04am On Sep 17, 2016
Safety in a developing area is my priority, Make your fence high by 2.4m. The beauty of the structure would have been secreted. That gives a peace of mind. Install Electric Fence Wire, CCTV too.

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 17, 2016
princeonx:
Mine is the prison type, up to the decking of the house. I was seriously thinking of doing some work to it like reducing the height and installing some metal burglary but this Egunmogaji post make sense wella!!

As long as I have this view I'm okay.

I'm retiring to Nigeria to further my hobbies. If I was returning to be a socialite then it'll be different.

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by xreal: 8:24am On Sep 17, 2016
I know little about the measurements but a see-through fence is the best security.
Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 17, 2016
adebaxton:
Safety in a developing area is my priority, Make your fence high by 2.4m. The beauty of the structure would have been secreted. That gives a peace of mind. Install Electric Fence Wire, CCTV too.

OP, Adebaxton is an accomplished builder.

Consider his opinion.

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Butbest: 8:51am On Sep 17, 2016
For quality paving stone
Contact 08024718048

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'm retiring to Nigeria to further my hobbies. If I was returning to be a socialite then it'll be different.

Hahahah funny you.

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 17, 2016
xreal:
I know little about the measurements but a see-through fence is the best security.
what makes a see through fence the best security? anyone could easily scale the fence, anyone walking by can easily see whats going on in ur compound. such fence makes ur compound an easy target especially if you got flashy cars.

1 Like

Re: Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! by abouzaid: 9:49am On Sep 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

with such a beautiful view, consider adding some sort of penthouse in the future to take better use of the view, just a small structure to chill in while watching whatever is happening in the city down below, won't have to be expensive, your earlier post was a classic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Designed Pillars, Interlocking Tiles, Fancy Finishing / Will Dangote Oil Tankers Make Lekki Unattractive? / Perfect Interior And Exterior Wall Screeding Now Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.