Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click (8602 Views)

Maolid Nabiy: Haram Or Halal? / 10 Benefits Of Asking God’s Forgiveness / Forex Trade: Haram Or Halal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Abuzola(m): 8:35pm On Oct 09, 2009
I came across one hadith that made me contemplating if having a cat or asking for the price is unlawful, during my meditation.

I want scholars to help me solve the mystery behind the hadith, the hadith goes thus:

it was related that Abu Al zubair said,'i asked jabir about the price of a dog and a cat, he said,'The Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) prohibited that'

muslim, hadith 933

i know the arab for desiring cat and i have seen it myself. Abu hurairah is the title given to him for his love for his cat, i also have cat. Please help me with the hadith interpretation
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by abulbanaat(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2009
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Abuzola(m): 6:21pm On Oct 10, 2009
Can you pls explain it because i couldn't find the answer

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by abulbanaat(m): 9:37pm On Oct 10, 2009
do you mean the link would not open?
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Abuzola(m): 9:46pm On Oct 10, 2009
The information i need is elaboration on that hadith and cat
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by abulbanaat(m): 10:47pm On Oct 10, 2009

Abu Zubair said I asked Jaabir as regard the profit (made) from dog and cat, he then said: the Messenger of Allaah forbade it. Reported by Muslim 2933 and Nasai.

Imam Nawawi (the author of Riyaadu Saaliheen said in Shar’u Muslim):

“As for prohibition of the price (profit) of the cat’s sale, then that should be understood on the fact that it does not bring any benefit. Or that the prohibition as regard its sale is aimed to make it a detested act so that people will be able to give one another as a gift, loan and something to have joy with, as it is common with people but if the animal is such that can bring benefit, then selling it cannot be voided and any profit made therein is pure, this is our position and as that of all scholars except what has been reported from Ibn Mundhir, Abu Hurairah, Taawus, Mujaahid and Jaabir bn Zayd that selling it is not permissible. The evidence of the latter people is the hadith at hand. But the majority answered them by saying that what the hadith implies is what has been said earlier. And what has been said earlier is an answer that can be relied on.” End of quote.

So if the cat is such that will be used for beneficial purposes as the Imam has said, then the sale is permissible, and if otherwise, the sale is not permissible then the purport of the prohibition will apply.

What gives more weight to that is the fact that is the fact that the Prophet was asked as regard the cat whether it is impure, he said: ‘It is among the animals that move round you, (that is, your pet)’ [Shaykh Al-AlBaani graded it Saheeh in Ir’waa Ghaleel].

But there is no mistaking the fact about dog, keeping it is prohibited so also is transacting in it. Dogs can only be kept for hunting purposes.

So that Abu Hurairah (literally: father of a little female cat) bears that name is now understood. Though Abu Hurairah said it was Abu Hirr (the father of a male cat) that the Prophet named him. He preferred the latter but detested the former, but Allaah decreed that he became popular with the former.
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Abuzola(m): 11:05pm On Oct 10, 2009
Jazakhallahu khairan kabiran
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by abulbanaat(m): 3:44am On Oct 11, 2009
Amin wa iyyaka.
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Abuzola(m): 10:13am On Oct 11, 2009
Amin
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Frizy(m): 7:48pm On Oct 11, 2009
Oh, I love cats so much. Just have a male castrated one. With a beautiful color matching. wink
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 11, 2009
@ topic

Egyptians worshipped cats so it shouldnt be a problem
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Frizy(m): 7:03am On Oct 12, 2009
@tpia

that was in the days of iignorance, not now. many of them wont be naive enough to worship a man in place of Allah. tongue
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Abuzola(m): 10:23am On Oct 12, 2009
Haka ne
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2009
Frizy:

@tpia

that was in the days of iignorance, not now. many of them wont be naive enough to worship a man in place of Allah. tongue

run that by me again.

Is there a connection?
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by tpia5: 3:26am On Dec 09, 2013
What's the significance of cats in Islam?
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by chakula: 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
tpia@:
What's the significance of cats in Islam?

5oggle is your friend just make use of it, your mind will be clear with good information regard to your inquiry .

And beside, thread that's all most stayed for ages you are now resurrection it, you too much tilapia.
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by tpia5: 10:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
There is no need to be insultive, it doesnt show good upbringing and degrades the forum.

In addition, kindly refrain from referring to me by anything besides my actual moniker, thanks.

Like I pointed out, some of you carry seun's site too much on your heads, meanwhile time and tide wait for no man. If your presence here does not benefit you in any tangibly beneficial way then maybe you should reconsider being a member.
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by tpia5: 10:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
I am not making use of google in this instance because I am asking nairaland muslims, not google.
Re: Is Buying A Cat And Rearing It Haram Or Asking For The Price ? Please Click by chakula: 1:02am On Dec 10, 2013
Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) was tender and kind towards cats. He appreciated cats. Hazrat Muhammad (s.a.w)
's favourite cat was called Muezza. There is a well-known story regarding the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) and Muezza. When the call to prayers was heard,
Muezza was asleep on one of the sleeves
of the Prophet’s (s.a.w) robes. The
Prophet (s.a.w) wanted to wear the
robe to go to prayers. Rather than
disturb Muezza, Muhammad (s.a.w) cut off the sleeve to leave Muezza in peace.
Prophet (s.a.w) then stroked the cat
three times, which, it is said, granted
Muezza seven lives and the ability to
land on his feet at all times (as you
might know, cats have a self-righting mechanism,a righting reflex, which is a
complex series of movements when a
cat falls and which protects the cat from
breaking her back). Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) was so
attached to his cat that when he gave
sermons he let Muezza rest on his lap
and he also drank from water previously
drunk by his cat. He also did his ablutions
from the same water that was drunk by a cat. He seemed to treat his cat in the
same way as cat lovers do today but
even cat lovers might think twice about
drinking the same water that had been
drunk by a cat for fear of transmission of
disease from the cat’s saliva (but see below). Islam teaches Muslims to treat cats well
and that the cat is a creature to be
cherished and loved. Mistreating a cat is
regarded as a severe sin in Islam. Cats according to the Qur`an and Sunnah An example as to how Muslims are
punished for mistreating cats can be
found in the `ahadith (oral traditions
telling the story of the Prophet
Mohammed (s.a.w) and which have
been recorded in writing). When a woman kept a cat locked up and failed
to feed the cat until the cat died, the
woman was tortured and "put to hell.” It is believed that you will suffer no
harm if you drink from the cat’s water
provided no impurities are seen in the
cat’s mouth. In another story from the
`ahadith, it is stated that a when a cat
ate a pudding put down during prayers, the person who was in charge of the
pudding ate from the same place as the
cat and Prophet (s) said this was alright
as the cat is not unclean and is "one of
those who go around amongst us". Islam teaches Muslims that, in relation to a cat: 1.) The cat should not be sold for money or other traded goods. 2.) Cats saliva is harmless unless the cat has "visible impurities" in the mouth. 3.) Muslims are free to live with cats but they must treat cats well, providing the
cat with enough water and food and
giving "roaming time" (a degree of
freedom of movement) 'A good deed done to an animal is as meritorious as a good deed done to a human being, while an act of cruelty to an animal is as bad as an act of cruelty to a human being' Share

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Islam Says About Celebrating The Birth Of The Prophet? / The Golden 10 Days Of Dhul Hijjah. / The Virtues Of The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.