Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,910 members, 7,838,239 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Kanu, Others Recruited For England 2018 W/cup Bid - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu, Others Recruited For England 2018 W/cup Bid (699 Views)

Eniola Aluko To Play For England In 2015 World Cup (pictured) / Nigerian Fifa Executive Committee Member Offer To Sell 2018 World Cup Bid Votes / Amodu : Can He Lead Supereagles To 2010 W/cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kanu, Others Recruited For England 2018 W/cup Bid by AloyEmeka3: 11:25pm On Oct 09, 2009
Kanu, Toure, others recruited for England 2018 W/Cup bid

Friday, October 9, 2009
NIGERIAN international and Portsmouth striker, Nwankwo Kanu and Manchester City new recruits, Kolo Toure and Roque Santa Cruz are among the names enlisted to help boost England’s bid for the 2018 World Cup, FA chairman Lord Triesman has revealed.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/9/606.html

The trio join Chelsea’s Salomon Kalou, Sunderland’s Kenwyne Jones, former Argentina and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Ossie Ardiles, West Ham United manager Gianfranco Zola and ex-Leeds United defender, Lucas Radebe as foreign ambassadors for the bid, according to Sky Sports.

The news follows Wednesday’s criticism by FIFA vice-president, Jack Warner, who slammed England’s bid as “lightweight”. Warner also found fault at Wednesday’s ‘Leaders in Football’ summit at Stamford Bridge, where he was bewildered by the bags handed to delegates.

“I came here and was shocked that I got a bag for Australia at the entrance,” he said, according to The Sporting Life. “I wouldn’t have allowed it. Why isn’t there a bag for England? People are looking at these things and asking themselves questions.

“My colleagues are saying very quietly that the guys who are coming to them are lightweight. This is the type of thing that loses you a bid. “You have to look at what others are doing and also be creative yourself – these things are not happening.”

Andy Anson, chief executive of England’s bid, asserted that he was happy with the bid, as the campaign would now begin to pick up pace. He explained: “We put in two keynote speakers. We want to outline our vision for the World Cup and if we thought there was mileage giving out free carrier bags we would.”
Re: Kanu, Others Recruited For England 2018 W/cup Bid by AjaraEwuro: 11:33pm On Oct 09, 2009
so?
Re: Kanu, Others Recruited For England 2018 W/cup Bid by OvieE: 2:42am On Oct 10, 2009
Ye-------so?

(1) (Reply)

"the Death Of Naijafutbol" / Predict The Score Line For The Match Between Nigeria And Argentina / Glo Marathon 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.