Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,026 members, 7,845,325 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Re: Petition Against District 9's Appalling Caricature Of Nigerians - Take 2 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re: Petition Against District 9's Appalling Caricature Of Nigerians - Take 2 (608 Views)

Appeal Court Expunges Part Of APC’s Petition Against Wike / Supreme Court Orders Retrial Of Petition Against Dakwambo / #100wasteddays Trending As Nigerians Take To Twitter To Review President Buhari. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Re: Petition Against District 9's Appalling Caricature Of Nigerians - Take 2 by naijamini(m): 12:52am On Oct 10, 2009
Thread was: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-325776.0.html
Petition Against District 9's Appalling Caricature Of Nigerians 

Kay 17:

its unfortunate that blomkamp failed to see things thru your lens that nigeria is perfect country which permits freedom of speech and tolerates criticism, that there are no witchcraft practising cannibals, no thugs, no prostitutes.

@Kay 17
With this reply you need to look into the meaning of fallacy, strawman and pavlov's syndrome because you are guilty of all three. Many of us (Nigerians and Africans) are especially suffering from pavlov's syndrome. But if I have to beat you and others like you over the head with this point until you get it, I will. It is my believe that the movie District 9 was only a teaching moment. There is a deeper attitudinal problem afflicting many of us. Here are my main arguments again:

1. The error that Blomkamp committed is not that he depicted some scene as involving Nigerians, but presented ONLY REPEATED GORY scenes in which ALL that the Nigerians in his movie are doing is commit all these attrocities.

2. Only a person with blinders on would read my piece and remotely suggest I am trying to argue that none of these things happen in Nigeria. I guess you, Kay17, are going to tell me that all other countries Blomkamp could have chosen are free of these things. That is the reverse of your silly argument.

3. The deliberateness of Blomkamp's action is emphasized by the fact that he took his show as far as to represent former President Obasanjo the way he did in his movie, most importantly because the main point of his movie, as he would have us believe, is about "indirect racism". I don't care for much of what President Obasanjor did, especially domestically. No matter what, he doesn't deserve such FORMAL disrespect for any reason, and Nigeria and Nigerians do not deserve it either. Imagine yourself writing up a movie where you are trying to show that there are at least two sides to everything, but included repeated scenes of Bill Clinton as the head of a brothel, but you didn't stop there. You ONLY showed these scenes repeatedly throughout the movie and refer always to that group of prostitutes and their head only as THE AMERICANS. My point is not that you couldn't do it, but that it would invlove a rather DELIBRATE DECISION on your part to ridicule America and Clinton that way, and it would be untrue and demonstrate that you are seriously lacking in sense.

4. It just occured to me today that Blomkamp's error is even more ignorant, sinister or both. The reason is that when  Mugabe kicked white farmers out of Zimbabwe ONLY OBASANJO defused the situation and invited them to farm in NIGERIA. Talk about picking on the wrong person.

5. Perhaps the point you want to make is that those who should represent us are doing a bad job of it. However, this doesn't mean you should buy into a wholesale condemnation of your nation - unless you are guilty of these acts yourself or all the Nigerians you know are? I know the latter to be patently untrue and any suggestion to the contrary is unacceptable. Yorubas would say "your kid cannot be so bad that you feed him/her to a leopard", and if you do it says more about you than the kid and the leopard.

I hope you see my point. Thank you.

naijamini
Re: Re: Petition Against District 9's Appalling Caricature Of Nigerians - Take 2 by Nobody: 12:56am On Oct 10, 2009
The reason is that when Mugabe kicked white farmers out of Zimbabwe ONLY OBASANJO defused the situation and invited them to farm in NIGERIA

na today?

(1) (Reply)

Obama Accepts The Nobel Peace Prize Award / Fashola For President! / Ribadu Or Ibori.who Is The Saint?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.