Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,180 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson (3186 Views)

Kemi Adeosun Summarised Cv / Honorable Kemi Banjo (Alatika): 'Tasted, Trusted & Reliable' / Mammoth Crowd Waiting For Mr President In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by ichommy(m): 10:59am On Oct 10, 2009
Riding on the shoulders of business success into politics, Chief Mrs. Kemi Nelson, former Commissioner of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation of Lagos State, has been in the fore-front of what could be termed Advocacy for Women Participation in Politics, (AWPP).

This could be defended with the fact that she had been able to hold her own in politics and had aired her voice and had her way even at the time Nigeria politics had been apparently dominated by men.

During a recent encounter with Daily Sun, the MBA certified tycoon and politician surprisingly prophesized that Nigeria ‘s first female President would be nominated by men in Politics.

Speaking confidently, Nelson said: “First and foremost, there is nothing that says a woman cannot be a president in Nigeria because we have women who could even perform better than the men but the African culture has really restrained our women , we are just coming out gradually. Men have started accepting the fact that we must have to share this space , that they must have to allow us share this space with them. And that it is a gradual process , I am sure you would be surprised that by the time we would have a female president , it is the men that would nominate them, you would be surprised . It is happening everywhere now.”

Asked if she would like to mention some of the women who may be nominated for president. She waved a “No” reply and went down the memory lane about her seventeen year experience in politics:
“I joined politics in 1992 when Babangida encouraged a new breed of politicians. Then we had two political parties which were the NRC and SDP. I decided to pitch my tent with the NRC, the party under which I also became the flag bearer for the Lagos West Senatorial district in 1993, I lost the election but I was unpertubed . I still carried on , working for the party, I was appointed the chairman for the presidential electoral Committee for Osun State.

During the Ciroma- Shinkafi election I was the chairman of the electoral committee. When the party was scrapped and a care-taker committee was put in place.
I was appointed a member of the Uwais Ahmed party. When we had five principal parties under Abacha, I was a founding member of the ENCP under which I contested as the party candidate to the Federal House of Representative for Ikeja Local government.

I won the election but Abacha died and we were not sworn in. But again as a politician I was not perturbed because I had made up my mind that I was going to be a change Agent . So I joined the Alliance For Democracy. I worked with the party conscientiously. That was when I was a appointed the Commissioneer in the cabinet of Ashiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. After which we are all now together in Action Congress.”

On what attributes earned her the appointment, she replied:
“So many things come to play in appointing the Commissioner , your integrity, role, and contribution towards the success of the party at different levels and of course your educational qualification.”
Delving more into her experience as a female politician, Nelson revealed that :

“My experience has not been different from all other women, you know politics is dominated by men. And human beings resist change. Naturally the men would see you as wanting to compete with them , whereas that is not the case. We are supposed to be partners in progress. I think we have moved up from the time that women really have problem surviving in the political terrain.

Now we have been allowed to have our say and have our way a times. A lot of women have their voice now and some of also in our states and even in national level, people respect us and respect our views. Once they know that you know what you are doing and are serious about what you are saying.

They don’t see you as somebody that is just there to hurt their ego, because men do have ego. But they have to see you as a partner in progress. And sometimes they even forget that you are a female politician, because you are on the field together and attend meetings together even till very late times in the evening. During campaigns and all that. So for me, the ego thing is a problem that would keep to rear its head but the ability of the woman to continue holding her own in that huge ocean is what would help her.”

Male admiration and harassment of the women to Nelson is not limited to politics, it is her candid opinion that : “A man would always be a man, a man would always admire a woman in or out of politics. So the way you ward off such elsewhere is the same way you do it in politics. So I don’t see any difference, a man is a man in or out of politics and a woman is a woman in or out of politics.” But she cautioned maturely that : “The ability of a man and a woman to understand where they are coming from and what would be honourable is what is important.”

Although , Nelson concurred that the unconstitutional idea of the new wave of prominence of First Ladies tends to cross the bounds in discharging State duties, she however saw something positive in it and this she defended when she said:

“ They all have the projects that they are doing. You know their husbands are very busy. They don’t have time for them. So if you have something that would keep the women busy , which would not make them not disturb their husband and at the same time contribute to the progress of the nation, won’t it be better to encourage them to continue with the projects that they are doing and the funds they are raising than take those funds for shopping spree and all other irrelevant tendencies. So for me it is good, let them continue.

In their own way , they are contributing their quota to the development of the nation. The only area I would want a brake applied is that they should not interfere too much on State duties , they would interfere , because a woman would know how to relate to her man, a woman would know how to get whatever she wants from her husband. I know there have been cases of the problems between female Commissioners and some First ladies, petty jealousies and all that, but as long as they can keep within their limits, I don’t see any problem.”

Her Amazon features shone when she reacted to the face-off between the Governor of Lagos State and President Yar’Adua over the controversial LCDAs in the State. She said:
“I thought we had laid the issue of the LCDAs to rest but unfortunately it has come to the front burner again. For me, the LCDAs in all honesty, unless we want to deceive ourselves, have really imparted in the lives of Lagosians. It has taken Government closer to the people and I think Lagos State deserves even much more. So I would just appeal that the President himself should urge the Assembly to play their part in lifting these LCDAs so that we won’t go into crisis that we need not because honestly it is a crisis that we do not need. Especially at this point in time when the nation is drifting”

Appearing to be quite frank on the issue of re-branding, Nelson said: “Well, re-branding is good but if you asked me I would say it should start from our schools. Teach them young, that is what I believe. So by the time they would be full adults they would have imbibed the right culture, many of us have imbibed wrong culture and like the Yorubas would say: “A dry fish is difficult to bend”. Even though we would try and see how far our efforts would go but I think our target should be the schools , infact the primary schools.”

Asked what her political plans for the future are, Nelson sounded very humble when she replied that : “I have always rested my plans because I am a human being it is God that plans . So I have rested everything in the hands of the almighty. Governance is what we have now you can’t start talking about election until next year. We have put our people in government and we should give them our support . Politics for me now is still in the back burner. When the time is right God would direct.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/politics/2009/oct/07/politics-07-10-2009-001.htm

please pray for my VISION2010 THANKS
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by citizenY(m): 11:26am On Oct 10, 2009
what of
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by citizenY(m): 11:37am On Oct 10, 2009
WHAT OF MADAM OBAMA (STOCK EXCHANGE/TRANSCORP)

THEN HER BOYFRIEND WILL COME TO NIGERIA

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by ichommy(m): 11:53am On Oct 10, 2009
LOL grin
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by naso2(m): 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2009
when I remember patricia etteh water runaway me eye o
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Eeyore(m): 12:33pm On Oct 10, 2009
I thought Seun said the home page experiment was over. So what's this topic doing here on the homepage?

How many Nigerians know who the hell Kemi Nelson is?? angry angry
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by MrCrackles(m): 12:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
Topics that make the homepage nowadays are just a sack of rotten grapes!
Na wa ooo!
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by MUZBO(m): 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2009
An 'intersex' person will become president in Nigeria before a woman will. Who is she anyway?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by MUZBO(m): 1:10pm On Oct 10, 2009
An 'intersex' person will become president in Nigeria before a woman will. Who is she anyway?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by phuckNL: 1:13pm On Oct 10, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topics that make the homepage nowadays are just a sack of rotten grapes!
Na wa ooo!

If you guys stop posting on such topics, maybe they wouldn't appear on the front page! Hehe
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by 55gal(m): 1:28pm On Oct 10, 2009
A mere wish.
Sorry PDP won't allow a
female president.
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 10, 2009
Female president in nigeria with despirate pdp politicians around is a mirage
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by WarfyBoy(m): 4:58pm On Oct 10, 2009
YES OF CAUSE. A WOMAN WILL ONE DAY BEKOM THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA

IN YEAR 3210
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2009
at this stage, na white president dey una future.
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by ezeagu(m): 6:16pm On Oct 10, 2009
Well she better be Oprah so she has enough money to buy half of Nigeria and its military to support her.  grin

A Damsel (or mare grin) in a pool of sharks?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by whiteroses(f): 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2009
Warfy Boy:

YES OF CAUSE. A WOMAN WILL ONE DAY BEKOM THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA

IN YEAR 3210
you are not funny lol and for your informaki one of us women is gonna be the next president after yaradua okay?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by mamagee6(f): 7:46pm On Oct 10, 2009
We don't need a female president, our country is already in chaos.
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by bawomolo(m): 7:50pm On Oct 10, 2009
who is she?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 10, 2009
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by olubuffett: 10:36pm On Oct 10, 2009

thats one of d main reason we won't a female president, d women we go againt dem
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by olubuffett: 10:39pm On Oct 10, 2009

thats  one of d main reason we won't get a female president, d women will go againt dem
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Rooneyboy(m): 1:07am On Oct 11, 2009
Do people still sleep and have this kind of dream in our present day Nigeria ?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Rooneyboy(m): 1:12am On Oct 11, 2009
I think a comedian need to crack this joke in the next nite of a thousand laugh.It is very funny. grin
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by TheSly: 1:17am On Oct 11, 2009
A Puzzy for President? . . . . . .Not gonna happen
But y'all should remember that you are all being systematically ruled by a female. . . . .Turai Snailradua. wink
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Rooneyboy(m): 1:21am On Oct 11, 2009
whiteroses:

you are not funny lol and for your informaki one of us women is gonna be the next president after yaradua okay?
grin cheesy grin i never knew we had a female comedian in the house. I swear u r very funny.
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by PON: 1:46am On Oct 11, 2009
she would obviously have a big tummy b4 the end of her tenure by one of those rotten chuku chuku leaders in goverment.
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by donjon: 3:53am On Oct 11, 2009
Posted on: Today at 01:21:28 AM
Posted by: Rooneyboy

Insert Quote

Quote from: whiteroses on Yesterday at 07:27:54 PM

i never knew we had a female comedian in the house. I swear u r very funny.

Sme pple dey force dier self 2 laugh!
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by sley4life(m): 5:05am On Oct 11, 2009
maybe after the world come 2 an end
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Baptizer: 2:45pm On Oct 11, 2009
Every person is entitle to freedom of speech, coming from a female I'm not surprise. Let's watch and see what nigeria politics and the mussle behind it holds for them. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by bawomolo(m): 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2009
what's wrong with a female president?
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by Igbanibo: 4:59pm On Oct 11, 2009
If Okonjo Iweala ran for president, I would vote for her.
Re: I Love To See A Female President In Nigeria – Kemi Nelson by complove: 5:56pm On Oct 11, 2009
Iwaela can not win in nigeria. iweala fit kill person. or shoot opponent for head.how many area boys iweala get, if they burn iweala house and children. you think say go want bi president.even no woman can win in nigeria, even men cant win election expect if them rig, kill opponent. do you know woman fit thing kill person .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Robert Mugabe Refusing To Shake The Zulu King That Caused Xenophobia / SHOCKER :Aisha Buhari’s Inauguration Wristwatch Cost £34,500 (N10, 453,000) / Anti-corruption: G7 Provides Buhari With List Of Corrupt Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.