Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker (3587 Views)

A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / I Am Not An Atheist; I Am Just A Free Thinker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 3:51pm On Sep 18, 2016
larisoft:

I beg to disagree, in the hope that you might make your argument more aptly put. For I think that when 'arriving at a conclusion' becomes more important than arriving at a 'universally verifiable truth', an atheist becomes no different from a theist, who supplants absence of explanation with the most convenient fiction available to him.

Answers are simply not available now. It doesn't mean they wouldn't be available later. Every free thinker is supposed to leave a room in their minds for the possibility that there might be a God of sorts somewhere, since it has not been proven that there isnt one. Now, the existence or not of this God, the nature of this God, his reasons, and capabilities, are to be determined by further questioning and research. Not denial or hasty conclusions!
1. Every individual, irrespective of their thought form nd world-view, leaves a room in their minds for possibility of the contrary..this is by default..aw big dis room is determines the concreteness of the evidence needed to proselytize him/her. So don't attack atheists as such cause they refuse to accept what u bliv
2. Sufficient Answers are not available now and may never be available..but, before that answer bcums available(if it will), a perspective needs be held onto..for the sake of further research..
u cnt mk further studies on something if u don't av a perspective to it beforehand which wud either be reinforced or quashed upon the advancement of such research... So if atheists, by their perceptivity bliv as of then and now, amidst countless researches, that thrz no God, so be it..until whatever evidence dey need is supplied..
Now, their wanting of that sufficient evidence is the room dey av in their minds for anything contrary to their current conclusions..when d evidence comes(as it has always been coming)..it goes into that room in their minds for examination before its being dismissed or accepted therein..
3. If u say Atheists are not freethinkers, u v simply accused dem of zealotry.. It's religion dat promotes dat.. Not atheism...
Atheism gives u a mind of ur own(and arrive at conclusions based on observation)..religion doesn't necessarily gv u a mind of urs unless u take it by force of reasoning.
4. A universally verifiable truth is an illusion as far as religion is concerned..until every human see life from d same window..which is 100% impossible..well, unless God comes in person or spirit to end all doubt and get mankind convinced irrefutably..
This is what the atheists earnestly want..dey seek undeniable truth.
5. If we see it as inept to dismiss something for lack of evidence, is it not more inept to admit something wen thrz zero evidence?
It's even the most inept when one has no perspective whatsoever irrespective of its authenticity

1 Like

Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 3:56pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeSepiero:

May I add; restrictions are especially on the existence of god.
Atheism isn't necessarily seeking answers to proof or disprove Gods existence.
U confuse me the more.
For clarity sake, So what does Atheism necessarily do?
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 4:09pm On Sep 18, 2016
larisoft:

Lol...I would say free thought is a journey, of which atheism is just the first probable bus stop. However, any traveller who remains at this bus stop is a lazy one. For absence of evidence, if anything, calls for a more thorough search. Not a conclusion!
brother, u keep missing the point. Their refusal to accept dat thrz no God is not a total assertion dat Thrz none.
You say Atheists arrive at a rigid conclusion, yet u wud agree with me that further research mostly by Atheists are goin in this respect...
What is the need of further research, if u bliv dey concluded already?
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 4:21pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:
U confuse me the more.
For clarity sake, So what does Atheism necessarily do?
Are they necessarily supposed to do something? They arrived at a state of unbelief from their enquiry and that's it. Unless the atheist is agnostic.
Please don't be confused bro. What are you driving at?
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 4:24pm On Sep 18, 2016
Definition of Atheism:

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

Larisoft: Draw the attention of your discussants to this. I am mildly surprised that you regard them as logical or even remotely intelligent. There is not a single one that is - except perhaps - and I still say perhaps - Despierio.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeSepiero:

Are they necessarily supposed to do something? What would you have them do? They arrived at a state of unbelief from their enquiry and that's it.
Please don't be confused bro. What are you driving at?
their arrival at their state of unbelief is that something they do.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 4:38pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:
their arrival at their state of unbelief is that something they do.
Rephrase
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 4:41pm On Sep 18, 2016
cheesy
DeSepiero:

Rephrase
U asked if they dey necessarily need to do something
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 4:46pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeepSight:
Definition of Atheism:

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

Larisoft: Draw the attention of your discussants to this. I am mildly surprised that you regard them as logical or even remotely intelligent. There is not a single one that is - except perhaps - and I still say perhaps - Despierio.
bro...sentiment is bou to get a hold on u..
Plz let's strip dis interesting debate off of it
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:
:DU asked if they dey necessarily need to do something

Despierio...Oubenji is on point.

Mind you, there was a terrible contradiction in something else you said above.

You rephrase.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:
bro...sentiment is bou to get a hold on u..
Plz let's strip dis interesting debate off of it

Okay.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 4:57pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:
:DU asked if they dey necessarily need to do something
And what's your response?
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 4:59pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeepSight:

Despierio...Oubenji is on point.

Mind you, there was a terrible contradiction in something else you said above.

You rephrase.

Put it to me
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by 0ubenji(m): 5:24pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeSepiero:

And what's your response?
I stated wat it is, they do
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:

Arrh!! You're regressing o.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2016
hahn:

All I need to believe in god is a knock on my door from him/she/it.

It is supposed to know my address grin

Some one like you will clearly require the Ocean to give a personal handshake to the droplet of water on your tongue, in order that you may grant the Ocean the special privilege of your acknowledgement that it exists.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeSepiero:

Arrh!! You're regressing o.

No, he is not. I fear you are not reading properly.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeSepiero:

Atheism is also probably just the last bus stop.

You should rather argue that atheism restricts free thought which I believe to a large extent is correct.

DeSepiero:

May I add; restrictions are especially on the existence of god.
Atheism isn't necessarily seeking answers to proof or disprove Gods existence.

Despiero - The above are the contradictions you asked I put to you.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeepSight:

No, he is not. I fear you are not reading properly.

He has lost me.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by donnffd(m): 5:43pm On Sep 18, 2016
larisoft:

I think you first have to define what God is...

Atheists dont claim there are absolute no Gods, because God is a relative term, so when you start the conversation, you have to define God.

Some people take money as God, well obviously God exists in that scenario and i can believe in that.

Einstein said God is the summation of the laws of physics, i agree because there is evidence, so God exists.

Christians say God is a spaceless, timeless, immaterial intelligent being, No evidence for that God, so belief is withheld.

I really dont see how this process affects how i am a free thinker undecided
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeepSight(m): 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeSepiero:

Are they necessarily supposed to do something? They arrived at a state of unbelief from their enquiry and that's it.

That is doing something.

That is what Oubenji has been telling you.

Indeed, the quote shows a third contradiction from you.

I am worried about my earlier assessment of you.

Perhaps it was too hasty.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 5:54pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeepSight:

Despiero - The above are the contradictions you asked I put to you.

My point is 'free thinking lead many to atheism'.

Then having arrived at this state, the individual most likely won't bother about trying to seek logical answers and evidence to prove that God exists or not.
ie He doesn't exercise free thinking in trying to prove or disprove the existence of God.

But he exercises freethinking in justifying his unbelief.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by ifenes(m): 6:03pm On Sep 18, 2016
larisoft:
Atheism, as I perceive it, is the first bustop for youngsters in philosophy, whom basking in their new found freedom from restricted thought, fall prey to the logical abomination of reaching conclusions before conducting research.

The picture it paints is that of a man who says "God exists. How do I know? Faith". And after some time, he says "God doesnt exist. How do I know? Faith!"

In what world does the absence of evidence to prove a thing constitute evidence to prove its absence?

Why can't we be honest with ourselves and admit that our knowledge ends where it does and to know more, we have to resort to that old, slow, but reliable means of human advancement called research? And maintain a widely open mind while at it?

I dont see how a person can be an atheist and a free thinker...The thought process of an atheist is already bent on proving the non-existence of a thing, as opposed to drifting in consonance with the random waves of facts, evidence, and logic, towards an unknown destination.

Atheism is not free thinking. Its just negative faith.

You do realize that Atheism is anti-existence of a creator god. And free thinking is the ability to think without belief system blocking your level of thoughts.I would personally say free thoughts is formed based on personal opinion,logic and reasoning. What is not Free-thinking is thoughts formed based on religion,tradition and culture or political views.

You are right in a way that Atheism is not free thinking. Well, many atheist I have had met on nairaland are still subjected to traditional,authorities and political views,hence not really free thinkers. But an Atheist is more likely to have more free thoughts on general issues.

Regarding religion,free thinkers think there isn't enough evidence to support the existence of a god.Blind faith is a no no because it is subjected to respecting authorities like;parental views,community views on god.

Event scientifically,some people have no proof themselves but are subjected to the scientific books. I personally do not agree with 50% of what science books say. Why? Because I reason with every bit of information most times.

My views on Homosexuality is the same. Is it possible for someone to be gay? If you ask 10 Christians,they will most likely say No,Atheists may give a mixed view,some negative due to Traditional influence or family,while a true free thinker will say yes.

Another question is the rights of women. you will find lots of Atheist basing their decision of women being 2nd class to a man due to Cultural/traditional reasons. Basically means free thinkers ain't that much. But one thing is right,A true christian is no free thinker.

4 Likes

Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by DeSepiero(m): 6:29pm On Sep 18, 2016
0ubenji:
Are we clear?
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by hahn(m): 7:18pm On Sep 18, 2016
DeepSight:

Some one like you will clearly require the Ocean to give a personal handshake to the droplet of water on your tongue, in order that you may grant the Ocean the special privilege of your acknowledgement that it exists.

*yawns*
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by promise10: 11:21am On Sep 19, 2016
JackBizzle:

Why have faith in the first place?

Faith in an invisible almighty being that watches the world suffer?
What about conscience?

Do you have conscience? Is conscience visible? Why believe in the invisible conscience? Is that NOT FAITH? This is why atheism is rot with dishonesty!

Would you judge the reality of conscience on the basis of the rights and wrongs people do?

When you see people who are SO WICKED BEYOND your imagination. Would you conclude that there is nothing like conscience.

Dishonesty the foundation of atheism!
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by promise10: 11:33am On Sep 19, 2016
EyeHateGod:

grin Bro They don't Even understand how stupid they sound when they say God exist outside space... ABEG help me ask them Watin day outside space?
How would you understand this? When it is beyond your knowledge!

That's where logic leads, just wake up please!
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by ColdHardTruth: 11:46am On Sep 19, 2016
promise10:

what bullsheeet logic leads there?

1 look at the unknown

2 create a wild guess story about what happens in the unknown

3 claim anyone who doesn't believe it without evidence is not logical

EPITOME OF STUPIDITY
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by CoolUsername: 1:35pm On Sep 19, 2016
By your definition, a freethinker cannot truly ever have an opinion on anything. If lack of evidence always requires further research, then good luck finding Russell's Teapot or the Flying Spaghetti Monster since we have no way of dismissing their existence apart from 'absence of evidence'. The truth is that outlandish claims should be dismissed unless there is an outlandish amount of evidence supporting them.

By your definition, an agnostic cannot be a freethinker since they don't believe it is possible to know whether god exists or not. Neither can the agnostic atheist, since their default setting is non-belief.

Are you implying that a true freethinker is one with no previously held opinion and who accepts all opinions without any measure of doubt? We call those people children.
Re: You Cannot Be An Atheist And A Free Thinker by EyeHateGod: 1:55pm On Sep 19, 2016
promise10:

Promise10 What is Outside Space? Show us that u have Sense & knowledge! Am tired of u quoting me just for Quoting sake Without making any sense.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Bread Of Life / How To Become An Ifa Priest / 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.