Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) (35724 Views)

₦26 Trillion Net, Mark Zuckerberg And Wife Pictured On The Street Of California / Mark Zuckerberg Shares Photos Of Him Running Around The World Including Lagos. / Mark Zuckerberg Showcases Tayo's Spike Rush App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by midolian(m): 4:20am On Sep 21, 2016
A LITTLE over three weeks ago, very few people knew Blessing Ebowe. Although a smart software developer, her fame was limited to friends, loved ones and her colleagues at Andela. Andela itself is another story altogether. Andela is a startup coding school, which recruits intelligent, local talent through a rigorous testing and interview process and then pays each student each month, with benefits. 

•Zuckerberg with Ebowe (middle) and some other friends at Andela

Many of the recruits are young men and women in their mid-twenties about to enter the job market. With campuses in Nigeria and Kenya, Andela’s business model centres on training these students to be proficient in software and web development, before making their talent available to companies around the world in need of engineering talent.

Launched with six students September 2014, the venture founded by two Nigerians, two Americans, one Candian and one Camerounian has  quickly grown to become a tech entity in its own right; adding even more stripes as it received a $24 million Series B funding round from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative founded by Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan earlier this year. But it was Zuckerberg’s visit to Nigeria that made the company a household name and changed everything for Ebowe. 

The Facebook founder’s live chat with developers and entrepreneurs in Lagos has garnered over 3.5 million views from around the world, doing for the country’s image what years of international relations and billions of dollars could never do. His honest assessment of the Nigerian people could make anyone realise that the country isn’t just defined by fraudsters and terrorists. His words: The thing that is striking for me is the entrepreneurial energy. When you are trying to build something, what matters the most is just who wants it the most. You feel that here in Nigeria.

Entrepreneurial energy

As soon as you get off the plane and start talking to people, you feel the passion and the entrepreneurial energy. I can tell you two stories just from last night when I talked to probably not more than 100 people and I was really blown away.

Ebowe happened to be first Nigerian he mentioned meeting on his trip. He said: “I had the opportunity to meet Blessing Ebowe, she told me the story of how she applied to the Andela program and the first time she didn’t get in and that didn’t stop her, she showed up anyway and she showed up again. They figured that they had to give her a try.”

Now, Ebowe relives her meeting with the world’s seventh richest man in an encounter with Hi-Tech.

Enjoy it:

Who is Blessing Ebowe?

BLESSING Ebowe is a software developer at Andela who is interested in utilising the creative power of programming to optimise human efforts in daily life.

At Andela, Blessing has worked with Ruby on Rails to build web applications, APIs, and command-line gems. One of the web applications she has worked on helps event organisers to manage promotions, ticket sales, email notifications and website sub-domains for their events, more easily.

Performance assessments

She has also worked with the PEAN stack  to implement new features on a web application used within Andela to record, track, and analyse performance assessments of developers conducted by the developers themselves, their peers, and their trainers.

She is currently leading a team at Andela that is contributing to Free Code Camp, an open source project that helps users learn how to code, connect with other developers in their local community, and build technology solutions for non-profits.

She is currently also part of The Releaf Group team working as  Quality Assurance engineers, ensuring software products are standard.

Blessing graduated from the University of Benin with a degree in electrical engineering.

What was it like meeting Mark Zuckerberg in person?

It was awesome, not just because I got to see Mark Zuckerberg in person, but because through our conversation, I got to understand, to some extent, who he is, what he believes in, his passion and what drives him.

What did you both talk about?

We talked about the challenges of being a software developer here in Nigeria, and how I got into Andela; how much my journey at Andela has improved me not just as a developer but also as an individual.

From your discussions, how would you describe Zuckerberg’s perspective of the IT ecosystem in Nigeria and Africa as a whole?

I can boldly say he believes in us not because he assumes that we will rule the technology world but because he has seen the proof, especially at Andela where the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative invested in Series B round .

If you were to mention one thing you learned from the visit, what would it be?

From this visit, it really sank that brilliance is evenly distributed and opportunity is not, as our co-founder, Jeremy Johnson says.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/meet-nigerian-lady-zuckerberg-mentioned-live-chat-visit/

Lalasticlala

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by iornenge81(m): 4:25am On Sep 21, 2016
ok good

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by joseph1832(m): 4:50am On Sep 21, 2016
Is it just me or does Mark Zuckerberg always likes wearing just a particular shirt? grin

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by midolian(m): 5:06am On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1832:
Is it just me or does Mark Zuckerberg always likes wearing just a particular shirt? grin
That's one thing about great people. Remember merlin? lipsrsealed

Jokes apart now...Even though he didn't come with many wears cos he knew he won't be going back with tham, All the pictures you must have seen him with this top he must have taken in a day.

8 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Fidelismaria: 5:08am On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1832:
undecided
joseph1832:

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by joseph1832(m): 5:10am On Sep 21, 2016
midolian:

Jokes apart now...Even though he didn't come with many wears cos he knew he won't be going back with tham, All the pictures you must have seen him with this top he must have taken in a day.
Don't mind me, I was just goofing around. grin
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by midolian(m): 5:12am On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1832:
Don't mind me, I was just goofing around. grin
ok, just put on your helmet, for some Mark Zuckerberg's relatives are coming for you. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by joseph1832(m): 5:18am On Sep 21, 2016
midolian:
ok, just put on your helmet, for some Mark Zuckerberg's relatives are coming for you. grin grin
Let them come. I'm no stranger to ripping people apart with disses. grin

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by daclint(m): 5:26am On Sep 21, 2016
What about mark nsukabag ?

25 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by veekid(m): 6:14am On Sep 21, 2016
Seen; and how many millions for her
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Turks: 6:14am On Sep 21, 2016
Mentioned in passing

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by RichDad1(m): 6:15am On Sep 21, 2016
Seen. What next? undecided
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Bitterleafsoup: 6:16am On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1832:
Yes same shirt, pants, shoe. Its the only thing he wears. He said it saves time and he has has better things to do.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Kenneth205(m): 6:18am On Sep 21, 2016
tongue
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Ikenna17(m): 6:18am On Sep 21, 2016
Nigerians are neither corrupt not criminals, buhari should learn from this

7 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Smartixy(m): 6:18am On Sep 21, 2016
That's nice it's hard to see a Nigerian female developer

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Moostea: 6:18am On Sep 21, 2016
Good
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Bitterleafsoup: 6:19am On Sep 21, 2016
Ikenna17:
Nigerians are neither corrupt not criminals, buhari should learn from this
You can only give somebody as much credit as you give yourself.

7 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Nairadays: 6:21am On Sep 21, 2016
Nice. Am happy for her.
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by bobo65(m): 6:23am On Sep 21, 2016
Just be good at what u do
No matter how small it is
Just get better at it every day
Someday it will make u dine with Kings

I love techy ladies

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Arewa12: 6:24am On Sep 21, 2016
Issoke
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by FTBOY: 6:26am On Sep 21, 2016
dem dey chop mention?

shiooorr!
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by akanbiaa(m): 6:27am On Sep 21, 2016
I am Akanbi Abdullahi Adeshola you dont know me but you will soon( Greatness starts with believe in oneself www.facebook.com/akanbiabdullahi)
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Teeboy22(m): 6:28am On Sep 21, 2016
midolian:

1000likes classic & simply cool

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by martineinstein(m): 6:28am On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1832:
zukerberg has the same colour and type of shirt in large quantity

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by AOGAOG: 6:28am On Sep 21, 2016
HEAVEN FIRST
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by dreezybines: 6:29am On Sep 21, 2016
midolian:

LMAO...Baba na you ooo

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by clevadani: 6:29am On Sep 21, 2016
Ebowe??
That's a friend's sister.
Happy for her.
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by gidjah(m): 6:29am On Sep 21, 2016
Any testimony as concerned above??
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by Bitterleafsoup: 6:29am On Sep 21, 2016
AOGAOG:
HEAVEN FIRST
What this one saying?
Re: Meet The Nigerian Lady Zuckerberg Mentioned In Live Chat After Visit (PICTURED) by BE811APP: 6:33am On Sep 21, 2016
Interesting!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Weird World Of A Webmaster / How To Activate Airtel Night Plan, Get 250mb For N25 And 1.5gb For N150 / The Most Googled Products In Every Country Of The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.