Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,467 members, 7,954,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:22 AM

Is Arsene Wenger A Failure Or A Success? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Arsene Wenger A Failure Or A Success? (516 Views)

Sir Alex Ferguson Gives Arsene Wenger A Vase On His Last Game At Old Trafford / Manchester United Reacts To Arsene Wenger Leaving Arsenal / BREAKING: Arsene Wenger Resigns As Arsenal Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Arsene Wenger A Failure Or A Success? by budosky(m): 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2016
As an arsenal fan, I was going through my quora notifications when I saw this question which was well answered by a sport analyst.

IS ARSENAL FC MANAGER "ARSENE WENGER " A FAILURE OR SUCCESS ?

ANSWER:

If Wenger quits after this season, the records will show that he served as Arsenal manager for 20+ seasons. He won 3 premier league trophies and 5 FA Cups. He also facilitated the move from Highbury to Emirates without ever letting slip the UCL positions. That in my opinion will always be termed as ‘SUCCESS’

However, I feel the Wenger reign can be divided into 3 sections:

1996 - 2005: This term included 3 EPL trophies, 4 FA Cups including 2 doubles. The 3rd EPL was the invincible season which is an unbelievable feat. He did this by buying players that were either unknown for most parts or struggling at some clubs. This term is definitely a SUCCESS.

2005–2013: 2005 saw the starting of the lean years. Arsene let go of his superstars like Vieira, Pires, Henry etc and bought cheaper replacements or younger players. Examples were Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini, Adebayor, Diaby, Djourou etc. Although he did not win any trophies, considering the budget he was on, his finishing positions were still brilliant and he came close to winning the UCL, FA, League Cup and EPL on at least one occasion. Hence, I would term this one also as a SUCCESS.

2013–2017: The 2013 summer window was one of the most disappointing ones, but it culminated in Arsenal breaking their transfer record by adding Ozil. EPL looked within reach till March, but then the run collapsed. However, Arsenal managed to break the trophyless shackles by winning the FA Cup. The next season saw the arrivals of Sanchez, Chambers, Debuchy, Ospina and Welbeck followed by Gabriel. This season also ended with an FA Cup win. It was clear that the financial constraints were broken but nothing was done on multiple occasions to solve basic problems. Assuming that Arsenal dont win anything this season, it would mean that Arsenal have won 2 FA cups in 4 seasons after the financial shackles were lifted. While not exactly a failure, this term will be considered as NOT SUCCESSFUL.
Re: Is Arsene Wenger A Failure Or A Success? by engrMikemd(m): 8:33pm On Sep 21, 2016
ok
Re: Is Arsene Wenger A Failure Or A Success? by Harmthe(m): 10:35pm On Sep 21, 2016
am sure Arsen Wenger will be good to bring back Nigeria from recession angryam sure Arsen Wenger will be good to bring back Nigeria from recession

(1) (Reply)

Watch: Balotelli Scores Twice As Nice Thrash Monaco 4-0:now Top Of Ligue 1. / UEFA Champions League Fixtures For Tuesday & Wednesday / Match Preview : Arsenal Vs Middlesbrough

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.