Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,599 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' (6252 Views)

Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed / Bet You Don't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit / 15 Mind Blow Facts I Bet You Never Knew About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by pass111(m): 11:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
First, the name of this fruit is actually soursop and not shawashopu as my Ibo brothers pronounce it.

Soursop, also known as guyabano or graviola, is the fruit of Annona muricata , a broadleaf, flowering, evergreen tree native to Mexico , Cuba, Central America , the
Caribbean islands of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico , and northern South America , primarily
Colombia , Brazil , Peru, Ecuador , Venezuela . Soursop is also produced in all tropical parts of Africa , especially in Eastern Nigeria , Mambilla Plateau and The Democratic Republic of Congo, Southeast Asia and the Pacific . It is in the same genus, Annona , as cherimoya and is in the
Annonaceae family.

Aside from being delicious, soursop has a ton of health benefits. In fact, it is not only the fruit that is nutritious, but also the leaves and the seeds.

I guess it got it's name from the fact that you have to allow the fruit to sour(soften) before you can enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Teniolasmart: 11:17pm On Sep 22, 2016
i ave not even eating it before sef

3 Likes

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by pass111(m): 11:22pm On Sep 22, 2016
Teniolasmart:
you're missing a lot bruh

2 Likes

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by vicben27(m): 11:24pm On Sep 22, 2016
Very nice fruit i use d leafs for tea, it relaxes d body n helps one to sleep nicely, gud for depressed individual too. Wit Many oda health benefits

2 Likes

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Teniolasmart: 11:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
pass111:
i stay in lag and i dont think it common here

1 Like

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Fidelismaria: 11:53pm On Sep 22, 2016
it called sharp sharp were am from

1 Like

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by juicydiceyjoe(m): 1:17am On Sep 23, 2016
Weird fruit undecided
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by mejai(m): 4:32am On Sep 23, 2016
I have always known d name and not only d igbos pronounce it like dat. just wait let d rising Sun set and dey will demand for ya head. ntoor!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Thukzee01(m): 6:26am On Sep 23, 2016
mejai:
I have always known d name and not only d igbos pronounce it like dat. just wait let d rising Sun set and dey will demand for ya head. ntoor!
stop lying, u are just knowing about the name of the fruit now
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by mikool007(m): 6:37am On Sep 23, 2016
pass111:

ok wer did u get urs frm?
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by SeyiAyorinde(m): 6:39am On Sep 23, 2016
cool fruit.I love it
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Dexema(m): 6:41am On Sep 23, 2016
Knew the name right from time too, but it seems the way people pronounce it is a corrupted version of the real thing (sour sop - shawshopu - sharp sharp). Wonderful fruit especially when it gets very soft and sour.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by hardbody: 6:48am On Sep 23, 2016
pass111:
First, the name of this fruit is actually soursop and not shawashopu as my Ibo brothers pronounce it.

Soursop, also known as guyabano or graviola, is the fruit of Annona muricata , a broadleaf, flowering, evergreen tree native to Mexico , Cuba, Central America , the
Caribbean islands of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico , and northern South America , primarily
Colombia , Brazil , Peru, Ecuador , Venezuela . Soursop is also produced in all tropical parts of Africa , especially in Eastern Nigeria , Mambilla Plateau and The Democratic Republic of Congo, Southeast Asia and the Pacific . It is in the same genus, Annona , as cherimoya and is in the
Annonaceae family.

Aside from being delicious, soursop has a ton of health benefits. In fact, it is not only the fruit that is nutritious, but also the leaves and the seeds.

I guess it got it's name from the fact that you have to allow the fruit to sour(soften) before you can enjoy it.

I am igbo and never mispronounced it for once. As a matter of fact, we had it in our compound in the villa, although I never tasted it for once.

If you want to pass knowledge across, do so without denigrating any tribe or people.

Soursop is what it is. Spelt as pronounced.

10 Likes

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by DozieInc(m): 7:46am On Sep 23, 2016
Soursop.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by mejai(m): 7:54am On Sep 23, 2016
Thukzee01:
4 ya mind! enjoy ya sed.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by mejai(m): 7:54am On Sep 23, 2016
Thukzee01:
4 ya mind! enjoy ya sef.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by successnd(m): 8:05am On Sep 23, 2016
soursop, many other ethinicity dont even know de fruit and even if they do, only the local name they know. right from jss days we were thought of de correct spelling and pronunciation of the fruit name. anyi na ndi-ozo adigh ama aka? si ha juo kwe ese!
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by silentachieverr(m): 8:07am On Sep 23, 2016
Knew about the name back when i was an undergraduate. Was curious about the real name of the fruit so i googled it. Not a new thing. Nice info though.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by ihebrooke(m): 8:23am On Sep 23, 2016
pass111:

Annonaceae family.

You would have made sense and passed your info without the denigration.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by lanicky(f): 8:23am On Sep 23, 2016
Some people pronounce it as sharpsharp.. I thought it was the real name back then until a friend corrected me. smiley
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Thukzee01(m): 9:17am On Sep 23, 2016
mejai:

4 ya mind! enjoy ya sef.
i no even sabi d real name.
**modified.
Op oshey gaan
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 23, 2016
I knw dis shi from my primary sch.days
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by anthney87: 9:30am On Sep 23, 2016
used to call it sha-wa-chop in those days growing up till I found it to b graviola during one of the Trevor seminar years back. it is just so medicinal.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by allytinted: 9:42am On Sep 23, 2016
Which One Is Showposu Abi Wetin You Call Am, Na Sharp Sharp Me Know Am As. Very Sweet Fruit .
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by mikool007(m): 10:05am On Sep 23, 2016
Shoot Me! I'v never seen or heard of this fruit in my entire life
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by pass111(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2016
hardbody:

If you want to pass knowledge across, do so without denigrating any tribe or people.

Soursop is what it is. Spelt as pronounced.

I am igbo too, where am from it is pronounced shawashopu, I didn't know its real name till I came across a post on facebook.

Wikipedia confirmed it.
so take your fight somewhere else sir.

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Zedoo(m): 1:37pm On Sep 23, 2016
lanicky:
Some people pronounce it as sharpsharp.. I thought it was the real name back then until a friend corrected me. smiley

Dis fruit dun dey hungry me e dun tey o....

Shawashopu
Showashap
Summersop
Samasap
Suwasup
Saywasup

Na wa o.... Lwkmfh....
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by mysticgal(f): 2:04pm On Sep 23, 2016
I love the fruit like hell, anywhere I see it something just pushes me to buy. Always cheesy
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 23, 2016
pass111:

[size=14pt]i dont blame u...
U were given other names of Soursop[/size]

[size=15pt]u picked the name its known 4 in Igbo land and said its not correct[/size]

pass111:

[size=14pt]Now, from the same list where u saw wat igbos call it,
U select the names other region calls it and tag them[/size] [size=15pt]Also known as[/size]

y didnt u say those names were no correct?

If i say dis guy is TRIBALISTIC ull say i have issues..... mtcheeeew

2 Likes

Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by lanicky(f): 3:21pm On Sep 23, 2016
Zedoo:

Dis fruit dun dey hungry me e dun tey o....

Shawashopu
Showashap
Summersop
Samasap
Suwasup
Saywasup

Na wa o.... Lwkmfh....

Lol.
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by sinceraconcept(m): 4:08pm On Sep 23, 2016
Teniolasmart:
omg. It's one of the sweetest fruits i've eaten. Tastes like milk and it prevents cancer
Re: I Bet You Didn't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit 'shawshopu' by sinceraconcept(m): 4:10pm On Sep 23, 2016
pass111:

I am igbo too, where am from it is pronounced shawashopu, I didn't know its real name till I came across a post on facebook.

Wikipedia confirmed it.
so take your fight somewhere else sir.
In Yorubaland,we call It sour sap or Eko oyinbo

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 People Who Survived Their Execution, / List Of Shortest To Longest Living Animals In The World / Some Cool Facts You May Not Know and more[photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.