Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. (45143 Views)

Police And Miners Clash In Taraba; Many Killed / Police And Cult Gang Clash In Ejigbo, Many Feared Injured / Police And Armed Robbers Clash In Idimu, Lagos, 2 Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:14am On Sep 25, 2016
9icetoo:
SUPOL, come and see your people.
they chased down an innocent citizen with an unmarked vehicle (offence number 1). they demand a search of the vehicle and are duly obliged. when nothing incriminating was found, why didn't they just wave the travellers on? they instead went after their phones. was there anything in the car to suggest they are criminals? I don't think so. I don't even think anyone called them to report that the car they were travelling in is linked to any crime. however police will be police. for refusing to surrender his phone (which by the way is his private property and personal effect, all manner of physical abuse was meted out on him.
make una kwantinue. one day na one day.
lawyer plenty for my FAM. my wife na lawyer. I dey look una with one eye.
yeye people.

unfortunately the young man failed in the first place, by not getting any identification before engaging in discussion. That's the first thing I do when I get stopped, I ask to see the name tag, and number.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 3:49am On Sep 25, 2016
SafeDavid:
grin

Lets call a spade a spade.

Internet fraud and show business in Nigeria goes hand in hand.

From eMoney to Bnaira, Olu maintain even sang a popular hit song cerebrating Yahoo. cheesy

Its a fact that most internet fraudsters are also aspiring musicians. cool

Nonetheless, police brutality needs to be looked into.
The Nigeria police force operatives aren't well trained in aspects of law and legality.
For instance, checking someone's phone is an invasion of one's privacy which can be sanctioned under law.

Maybe a more stringent recruitment process might help in that aspect.

#MyOpinion

Violence is never the answer- Martin Luther King jnr

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by goldedprince: 3:59am On Sep 25, 2016
If you know your rights, u can make any police officer loose his job.
Especially when you know u aint a criminal .

3 Likes

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by gentleiphy: 4:17am On Sep 25, 2016
Ask4Info:
[b]I AM SORRY BUT I THINK MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS DESERVE SUCH TREATMENT.

WHEN YOU ALL SHOULD ALL COME TOGETHER AND UNITE AND FIGHT THE COMMON ENEMY YOU PEOPLE LOOK FOR THE SLIGHTEST OPPORTUNITY TO CURSE EACH OTHERS TRIBE AND RELIGION. AS IF YOUR ETHNIC BACKGROUND AND RELIGION IS THE REASON WHILE THE OTHER MAN ISN'T PROGRESSING.

TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR MATES IN EGYPT, USA, FRANCE, PAKISTAN AND EVERY OTHER SANE COUNTRY. AS SOON AS THERE IS A MALTREATMENT BY THE GOVERNMENT ON A CITIZEN, WITHIN 24 HOURS THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WILL TAKE TO THE STREETS FOR SOLIDARITY. IN NIGERIA THE CASE IS THE REVERSE.

AFTER THE MASSIVE CORRUPTION DISCOVERED IN THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY, WHO WILL BELIEVE THOSE ANIMALS WILL STILL BE IN THAT BUILDING. A PLACE WHERE THE YOUTHS SHOULD HAVE LONGED OCCUPIED AND CHASED THEM AWAY.

SOME POVERTY STRICKEN INDIVIDUALS ARE STILL SUPPORTING PATIENCE JONATHAN CLAIMING OWNERSHIP OF THE $20M DOLLARS.

INSTANGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND NAIRALAND WON'T HELP. YOU ALL SHOULD STOP BEING CHICKENS AND GO OUT THERE TO FIGHT FOR WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS.[/b]

Good point with lots of sense..only if the youths will hear...but will Linda ikeji blog and Instagram allow them?

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 4:59am On Sep 25, 2016
SafeDavid:
grin

From eMoney to Bnaira, Olu maintain even sang a popular hit song cerebrating Yahoo. cheesy

The Nigeria police force operatives aren't well trained in aspects of law and legality.
For instance, checking someone's phone is an invasion of one's privacy which can be sanctioned under law.

#MyOpinion

You crazy undecided

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 5:02am On Sep 25, 2016
dacovajnr:
Yes something Really have to be done grin

So what's funny?
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by MARKone(m): 5:23am On Sep 25, 2016
Ask4Info:

WHEN YOU ALL SHOULD ALL COME TOGETHER AND UNITE AND FIGHT THE COMMON ENEMY YOU PEOPLE LOOK FOR THE SLIGHTEST OPPORTUNITY TO CURSE EACH OTHERS TRIBE AND RELIGION. AS IF YOUR ETHNIC BACKGROUND AND RELIGION IS THE REASON WHILE THE OTHER MAN ISN'T PROGRESSING.

TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR MATES IN EGYPT, USA, FRANCE, PAKISTAN AND EVERY OTHER SANE COUNTRY. AS SOON AS THERE IS A MALTREATMENT BY THE GOVERNMENT ON A CITIZEN, WITHIN 24 HOURS THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WILL TAKE TO THE STREETS FOR SOLIDARITY. IN NIGERIA THE CASE IS THE REVERSE.

AFTER THE MASSIVE CORRUPTION DISCOVERED IN THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY, WHO WILL BELIEVE THOSE ANIMALS WILL STILL BE IN THAT BUILDING. A PLACE WHERE THE YOUTHS SHOULD HAVE LONGED OCCUPIED AND CHASED THEM AWAY.

SOME POVERTY STRICKEN INDIVIDUALS ARE STILL SUPPORTING PATIENCE JONATHAN CLAIMING OWNERSHIP OF THE $20M DOLLARS.

INSTANGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND NAIRALAND WON'T HELP. YOU ALL SHOULD STOP BEING CHICKENS AND GO OUT THERE TO FIGHT FOR WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS.[/b]

Nice one, we come online we rant, we abuse, threaten, that is even for those who are "privileged" to have the data to rant, afterwards, it ends there. Tomorrow more abominable act is done by these animals and our politicians, we come online again to rant. How many innocent souls have the NPF wasted, yet no single protest, nothing to show that Nigerians both young and old, are just tired with the system, the police brutality, the economy, bad infrastructures to our kleptomaniac politicians, nothing. Civil liberty organisations are dead in this country. It is very unfortunate. This kinds of abuse can't even be condoned in some African countries, we are really done for in this Hell hole.
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Tosman12(m): 5:23am On Sep 25, 2016
No wonder their kids always end up living a miserable life afterward..... The bad ones though.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by NGZSPARKS01(f): 5:27am On Sep 25, 2016
sholex020:
somthing have to be done. Please report to the appropriate authority. Sorry abt what happen to you

Abeg which appropriate authority are you talking about? The
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by GoodSide: 5:30am On Sep 25, 2016
nigerian police based in ibadon,lag,benin and warru
i.
talking from personal experience.
once dey see a fresh niggi.
driving a cool car.
b4 u know it.
dem go begin dey agitate.
park.park.

young man..gm.
me....good morning.
police......can we see the particulars of your car.drivers license..
me..no problem..here you go.
police......who own this car,what xo u do for a living
me......my mum.
offica... ...why are you look at me like dat.
me........how officer...
police.......u must be crazy...so now u want to start to question me ba.
search him....search the whole car.
me....wtf...
police...af you heard of internet scam .
can we have your phone.
me....no way,my privacy..
b4 u know it..we don enta station..
i no complain....dem dey bragg for me,say br the time we are true with you....you won't remember your name.
criminal.
me.....you are a criminal too.GOD punish you.
naso i vexx.call my lawyer...
omo wen those guys come they hear English,dey hear court matter.they see say my lawyer na boss
omo come see laws wey we no dey aware of.
kudos to all legit lawyers.
i hail una.
men within a min.ba beg dem come dey beg me..say make i no vex...say shey anything for dem boiz..
aft wasting the whole day at the station.
dose guys dull.
besides dem don stop al those search his phone stuff since na...how come e don come bac again.
abegi Make dem get lost.
useless bastards
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 5:54am On Sep 25, 2016
I dont understand this young entertainment or young yahoo boys.....why will he not surrender his phone for scrutiny if he is not hiding anything there....these are security agencies trying to maintain law and order in the society......u are totally wrong and suppose to be dealt with.....are u the only young/yahoo boy in entertainment industry...pls be guided
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nostradamu(m): 6:10am On Sep 25, 2016
jeff1993:
Useless set of people .... DTS how I was approached at Yaba...... d policeman asked for my I.d ....after I showed him ....he asked for my phone ..... I just smiled in my mind and brought out my rubber-bound Nokia torch light .... d guy just tire 4 me!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo. Oh my. I swear, na the way be dat. On a serious note, i don tok this thing before (for one post like dat) the way out is technology. Body cams. dash cams, pen recorders etc; hm, i no say nobi yankee we dey and to get this things may cost an arm and a limb, but mehn...i don tire sef.

Person go just set am wey bi say di tin go dey live-feed or back-up to the internet in case dem smash or collect am; the content dey online and --chei, see as i jus dey dream.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Explorers(m): 6:21am On Sep 25, 2016
Ask4Info:

One of the best comment ever on this forum.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by phranq(m): 6:26am On Sep 25, 2016
once a criminal wants to mk his/her criminal acts legit, d person joins d police (NPF). datz why armed robbers alwz shoot dem at sight!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by 333wisemen: 6:33am On Sep 25, 2016
afraidofCHANGE:
I dont understand this young entertainment or young yahoo boys.....why will he not surrender his phone for scrutiny if he is not hiding anything there....these are security agencies trying to maintain law and order in the society......u are totally wrong and suppose to be dealt with.....are u the only young/yahoo boy in entertainment industry...pls be guided

I do not know why some Nigerians think otherwise ? ''why will he not surrender his phone for scrutiny if he is not hiding anything there'' You must think before you talk and be wise enough to guide yourself. Why would you just stop me randomly and ask for my phone to do what ? Let's start acting today, Different people different ways I know a lot of people who don't even give their phones to friend due to their private information .

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Mpanyi: 6:37am On Sep 25, 2016
floragregs:
He should have given them the damn phone to avoid beating! We all know Naija police are not humans na. E better to just avoid them abeg.

Why should he? Don't you know one's phone has many private in like banks' transactions? How do people reason in this country?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by joe4real12: 6:38am On Sep 25, 2016
Senorprinz:
i'm quite sure you won't experience roadblocks of anykind on your way to hell.

Bro take am easy naw. U dey take this matter personal.
Na laugh we dey o!
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by histemple: 6:43am On Sep 25, 2016
floragregs:
i'm very sure they didn't have any warrant with them. The boy for just submit the phone sha

Exactly my point. An innocent and educated person who had no incriminating contents could have submitted the phone for search and thereafter, report the incident to the Police Complaints Response Unit via a simple phone call or even SMS.

At least the injuries could have been avoided.

Most of our policemen on the road are not only uncultured but also illiterate and ignorant of relevant human rights laws. And again, I wonder the reasoning of a man arguing with a gun wielding policemen on such a lonely road

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by 99foxxy(f): 6:47am On Sep 25, 2016
Una no go kill person here with comments.
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Greenbullet(m): 6:53am On Sep 25, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
Maido who is an artist took to his Instagram page to share his brutal experience with Nigerian policemen. He alleged, that he was attacked because he refused to surrender his phone. He wrote;

"Yesterday was the worst day of my life, infact I almost lost it. At about 7pm I was driving along lagos-Ibadan express way with a friend, when we noticed a car closing up on ours and someone waving to us, asking us to stop.

After I took sometime to observe I suspected it was the police and I pulled over. Actually they weren't even in a police vehicle so I couldn't have noticed early enough. They were armed, one of them furiously came to me shouting. He said they have been trying to stop me or chasing me for a while. I was suprised because I did not notice at all.

There were three of them, only one was on uniform. They immediately started cursing and using vulgar words on us, they called us criminals for no reason, after so much interrogation they decided to do a search on the vehicle, I consented to that, and when they could not find anything incriminating in the car they demanded to search our phones.

I refused them checking my phone because they had already seized my friend's phone for no reason, I simply tried to make them understand that my phone is my private property but instead of hearing me out, they resorted to physical assault. They hit me with all sort of objects including their guns, I had to do my best to leave the scene for my dear life.

I was terribly injured over a phone that wasn't worth it at all, I equally lost my wrist watch. The question is, what wrong have I done by being a regular Nigerian young boy into entertainment. This police brutality has finally got to me and the world must know, Police brutality has to stop, its me today and it might be you tomorrow #StopPoliceBrutality#IdemandJustice #NigeriaPoliceForce#policebrutality

http://autojosh.com/nigeria-police-phone-search-saga/

Video.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BKsL1w8jfsP/?taken-by=juicyboymaido

THE TRUTH IS POLICE brutality WILL NEVER STOP,THE ONLY WAY TO REDUCE IT,I REPEAT THE ONLY WAY TO REDUCE IT IS FOR GUNS TO BE LEGALIZED IN NIGERIA, IF THE POLICEMEN KNEW YOU HAD A GUN THEY WONT MESS WITH YOU BECAUSE IF YOU DROP ANY OF THEM,PEOPLE AROUND WILL SUPPORT YOUCAUSE EVERYONE HATES POLICE.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Burger01(m): 7:03am On Sep 25, 2016
angry
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by moao(m): 7:14am On Sep 25, 2016
Nigerian police force are just animal, I just don't like remembering that unforgettable day my friend was beaten to coma all because he didn't give out his phone. NPF are just a normal tout on the street that obtain those black animal cloth to terrorize we civilians, most especially the so called SARS, most of them are thiefs at night, killing innocent people like chicken, I just hope the IGP work on this animal called his boys. That embarrassment is too much for we civilian. Collecting phones n attacking innocent people is out of human behaviour

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by whizcartel(m): 7:15am On Sep 25, 2016
Ask4Info:

if you lead, I swear! I will follow.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 25, 2016
SafeDavid:
grin

#MyOpinion

Just read what you wrote over again, we are our own problems in this country. Since when was Nigerian policemen saddled with the responsibility of hunting down internet fraudsters?

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by hardbody: 7:43am On Sep 25, 2016
histemple:

The picture I am seeing here is that of a Yahoo boy. He intentionally resort to running away because of the contents of the phone.

Please don't get the directive from IGP wrong, it's not that police can't search your phone. The instruction is that a policeman will have to sue to an affidavit before searching.

shocked shocked shocked Sue to an affidavit?

What exactly are the words of the IGP so i can help you review the real meaning.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 25, 2016
afraidofCHANGE:

333wisemen:

I do not know why some Nigerians think otherwise ? ''why will he not surrender his phone for scrutiny if he is not hiding anything there'' You must think before you talk and be wise enough to guide yourself. Why would you just stop me randomly and ask for my phone to do what ? Let's start acting today, Different people different ways I know a lot of people who don't even give their phones to friend due to their private information .

When you see young men reason this way you fear for the future of this country. I can't believe an average Nigeria would support police brutality under any guise. Even a convicted criminal does not deserve that kind of beating. If what they did wasn't illegal, the right thing would have been to arrest him, take him back to the station and get a warrant for the phone. Why accept terrible abnormalities as a norm? How would things get better if we don't stand up against these things? That young man is a hero, people have to sacrifice for things to change.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by histemple: 8:02am On Sep 25, 2016
hardbody:

shocked shocked shocked Sue to an affidavit?

What exactly are the words of the IGP so i can help you review the real meaning.

The order by the IGP to get a sworn affidavit in addition to a search warrant, was a swift reaction to a supreme court judgement where it was unanimously agreed by a vote of 9-0 judges.

That order was first given by IGP Arase and recently reiterated by IGP Idris.

It was held that phones are not the same as wallets and other devices, but an intrusion into suspect's right to privacy.

Although police may generally need to search a suspect's phone if there is a "probable cause".

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 25, 2016
histemple:

The picture I am seeing here is that of a Yahoo boy. He intentionally resort to running away because of the contents of the phone.

Please don't get the directive from IGP wrong, it's not that police can't search your phone. The instruction is that a policeman will have to swear to an affidavit before searching.

God forbid bad thing! cry

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Doghari: 8:12am On Sep 25, 2016
Presidiot Doghari loves the police like that. He is a feudal that believe that nigerians whom he rules should be flogged, beaten and killed because they are slaves in his pro-Wahabi eyes.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by 989900: 8:22am On Sep 25, 2016
SafeDavid:
grin

[s]Lets call a spade a spade.

Internet fraud and showbiz in Nigeria goes hand in hand.

From eMoney to Bnaira, Olu maintain even sang a popular hit cerebrating Yahoo. cheesy

#MyOpinion

I know my comment wont go down well with a lot of people but heck popular opinion isn't always right.[/s] cool

What a shame any human either sane or insane will have this kind of reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by hardbody: 8:30am On Sep 25, 2016
histemple:

The order by the IGP to get a sworn affidavit in addition to a search warrant, was a swift reaction to a supreme court judgement where it was unanimously agreed by a vote of 9-0 judges.

That order was first given by IGP Arase and recently reiterated by IGP Idris.

It was held that phones are not the same as wallets and other devices, but an intrusion into suspect's right to privacy.

Although police may generally need to search a suspect's phone if there is a "probable cause".

What case was that? I may need to read the facts and the judgment of the court
Re: The Nigeria Police And The Phone Search Saga. by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 25, 2016
u ar wrong Bro. if u dnt knw wat d law says den kip quiet. dat talks more abt Nigerians knowing dia rights. from ur story u were stopped and u refused to stop given d officers room to suspect u, u stopped after a chase to still claim innocent wen u hav given room for suspicion hence dey invoked their constitutional power wich include power to stop and search anyone suspected. it was left for u to clear urself but I assure u if u had not behaved suspicious no officer will jst stop u and ask for ur fone. meanwhile u can report to the complaint response unit if ur story is true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lisa Venison: 'Apostle Love Judah Has Sex With Members' Wives, Threesomes' / Increasing Influx Of Prostitutes Worry Asaba Residents / Killer Of Rivers Chief Takes Police To Where He Buried Him (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.