Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,815 members, 7,956,081 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:57 AM

"No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari (939 Views)

"No Referendum, No 2019 Election In South-East" - Nnamdi Kanu / No Referendum, No 2019 Election – Nnamdi Kanu Warns / No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

"No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by LoveMachine(m): 11:12pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari today foreclosed any chance for a referendum as a path to bring healing and closure to the vexing issue of Biafra. He made the statement during a media event in New York City at the end of his visit to the United States as the leader of Nigeria's delegation to the 71th United Nations' General Assembly.

The president stated that the choice left for Biafran activists is to form a political party that would advance their interest within the Nigerian democratic space.

The president’s advice to Biafrans activists came a day after commercial activities in some key cities in the South East, and South-South of Nigeria were grounded following a stay at home order from the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB ). There were also protests in various cities around the world by Biafran activists demanding the release from prison of IPOB's leader, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.

In recent past, the president had been dismissive of Biafran agitators as kids who did not see the Biafra-Nigeria Civil War. A few weeks ago, while speaking to Youth Corp members who visited him at his country home in Daura, the president pressed on them to ask their friends to forget Biafra.

Mr. Buhari also used the opportunity offered by the media event to outline the accomplishments of his trip to the General Assembly. He stated that Nigeria was well represented at various meetings held as part of the General Assembly. President Buhari talked about Nigeria's signing of the Paris Climate Change Accord and progress made at the Chad Basin conference. He announced that the US and the UK pledged over $300 million dollars to support the efforts of his government.

Media personnel at the event were disappointed that the president was not going to take questions from the media despite the event being tagged a press conference. At the insistence of SaharaTV's Adeola Fayehun, the president reconsidered the position and took just three questions. He also granted a ten-minute interview to the Hausa Service of the Voice of America.

Accompanying the president to the event were the governors of Lagos and Zamfara states. Other government officials present were ministers of Foreign Affairs, Justice, Defence, Internal Affairs and other top government officials.

Buhari departed New York for Abuja after the press conference.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/09/24/no-referendum-biafra-president-buhari
Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by Elkay3: 11:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
This is a sensitive issue, lemme sits and read comments...
Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by meezynetwork(m): 11:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
Story

1 Like

Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by modath(f): 11:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
Oh..
Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by donvicky2007: 11:33pm On Sep 24, 2016
The will of the people is greater and stronger than the will of the government, when the people stand against the government, that government is bound to fail.

Mr President should try and manage this issue with care,because if United Kingdom abi na Great Britain can allow Scotland have a referendum then,the will of the people must surely surpass that of the government with time.

2 Likes

Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 24, 2016
In as much as i like my president, i don't think this statement is good at all. you cant force couples to stay in a relationship

well what consignment me?

Drabeey was Here

2 Likes

Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by Jesusloveyou: 11:56pm On Sep 24, 2016
indiscipline people of Biafra(ipob} should better wait til next 50yrs to learn una lesson, afterall destiny delay is not denial, we wil discipline ipods first for they to reason as human, not as an animal

1 Like

Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 3:37am On Sep 25, 2016
Drabeey:
In as much as i like my president, i don't think this statement is good at all. you cant force couples to stay in a relationship

well what consignment me?

Drabeey was Here

U really didn't understand Buhari.. And that's same with most Nigerians... He said form a political party to press for ur demand.. . Was that not what I having been saying since
Re: "No Referendum For Biafra. Form a political party"-president Buhari by Mynd44: 4:45am On Sep 25, 2016

(1)

FG Has No Choice But To Sell The Nations Assets: Peterside / Letter Of Advice To President Buhari- By 16-year-old SS2 Student / PDP Crisis In Odo State! By Deji Bolusemihi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.