Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,987 members, 7,821,437 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) (5588 Views)

Nigerians Who Absconded After Traveling To Russia For World Cup, Cry Out. Photos / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA / Nigerians Deported From UK, Arrive Lagos, To Complete Their Jail In Kirikiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) by Naija9ja: 3:56am On Sep 25, 2016
Hi All - Urgent information needed. I am a dual citizenship holder (Nigeria and UK). I applied to renew my Nigerian passport at the Nigeria High Commission in London and was told that there are no passport booklets available for now (thats another story) however I was was advised that since i already had a trip to Nigeria booked, I could apply for a free ETC (Emergency Travel Certificate) to travel to Nigeria and return on my British passport. Yesterday, I read a FB post where someone in a similar situation said that when he was coming back to UK he was forced to pay $164 before being allowed to board the plane. He said they would not stamp his British passport so he was forced to get a "visa". Has anyone had experience traveling to Nigeria on an ETC (because of Nigerian passport booklet shortage in London) and returned to the UK on their British passport? Has anyone even been in a similar situation or can validate if this is accurate, was the $164 "legit"? Any adviseor insight appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) by bigtt76(f): 4:04am On Sep 25, 2016
Yes because the Nigerian Immigration se4vice would need to record your exit out of the country same way they recorded your entry back.

They cannot record your exit out as a British citizen because you did not come in as a British citizen. Best bet would be for you to get a Visa on your British passport before traveling to avoid wahala.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) by chrisj2(m): 3:54pm On Sep 27, 2016
deleted
Re: Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) by MreSBee: 11:40am On Dec 07, 2016
Hello Naija9ja, sorry for bothering you, my wife is also on this same situation. So we plan to use emergency travel certificate to travel to Nigeria and while she's in Nigeria, she will apply for a fresh Nigerian passport as her current Nigerian passport has expired. Thanks for even bringing this topic up as I didn't know they might force someone to get a visa on return back to the UK on a British passport.

My question is, were you able to eventually apply for the ETC, if yes and if given, please can you explain how you went about it. We have tried so many online platforms including google search to find out but we haven't been able to come up with a link or how to apply for it... All we have been seeing is a list of the requirements. Please I will appreciate it if you can explain how you went about getting your ETC or if you know anyone who applied, we will appreciate if you can help ask how thy did it. Thanks and God bless

Naija9ja:
Hi All - Urgent information needed. I am a dual citizenship holder (Nigeria and UK). I applied to renew my Nigerian passport at the Nigeria High Commission in London and was told that there are no passport booklets available for now (thats another story) however I was was advised that since i already had a trip to Nigeria booked, I could apply for a free ETC (Emergency Travel Certificate) to travel to Nigeria and return on my British passport. Yesterday, I read a FB post where someone in a similar situation said that when he was coming back to UK he was forced to pay $164 before being allowed to board the plane. He said they would not stamp his British passport so he was forced to get a "visa". Has anyone had experience traveling to Nigeria on an ETC (because of Nigerian passport booklet shortage in London) and returned to the UK on their British passport? Has anyone even been in a similar situation or can validate if this is accurate, was the $164 "legit"? Any adviseor insight appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria From UK Using An ETC (emergency Travel Certificate) by Rishard(m): 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
MreSBee:
Hello Naija9ja, sorry for bothering you, my wife is also on this same situation. So we plan to use emergency travel certificate to travel to Nigeria and while she's in Nigeria, she will apply for a fresh Nigerian passport as her current Nigerian passport has expired. Thanks for even bringing this topic up as I didn't know they might force someone to get a visa on return back to the UK on a British passport.

My question is, were you able to eventually apply for the ETC, if yes and if given, please can you explain how you went about it. We have tried so many online platforms including google search to find out but we haven't been able to come up with a link or how to apply for it... All we have been seeing is a list of the requirements. Please I will appreciate it if you can explain how you went about getting your ETC or if you know anyone who applied, we will appreciate if you can help ask how thy did it. Thanks and God bless

My Aunty just collected her travel certificate; she was told to report to the Nigerian embassy in London a week before her travel date with copy of her booked eticket to Nigeria, photocopy of British passport, photocopy of expired Nigerian passport and proof of address and she was issued with the travel certificate free of charge. If In doubt go down to the embassy and speak to them yourself. It's wahala but it's the only way. God help us all.

Hope this helps

(1) (Reply)

What Is IELTS? Everything You Need To Know About The IELTS Exam. / With A Nigerian Passport, You Can Apply For A Turkish E-visa!! / What You Need To Start A Travel Agency In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.