Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,661 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

5 Don’ts Of An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Don’ts Of An Interview (674 Views)

42 Job Interview Dos & Don’ts / JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Cover Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Don’ts Of An Interview by BISolutionsng: 12:57pm On Sep 26, 2016
1. Do not talk only about yourself

Yes, it’s an interview, a.k.a., a Q&A session in which you are expected to answer questions. However, it’s red flag if you talk only about yourself.

At least a few times let other people’s names pop up. When asked about your career aspirations, you’d ideally want to throw out the name of some successful person you admire. Or, if you are asked about your previous experience and how it led to where you are now, hopefully mention someone positively —be it an influential colleague, boss, or client—in the answer.

2. Do not take credit for everything

Yes, an interview is a place to sell your accomplishments and pitch your potentials, be careful so that you don’t sound like someone who takes credit of any on-the-job success as a one-man show.

3. Do not avoid discussing your shortcomings

Be confident to discuss your shortcomings and areas of improvement with your prospective boss. Being able to recognize your weaknesses and working on ways to improve them will go a lot further on the job than trying to sweep them under the rug.

4. Do not give unprofessional responses to interview questions
Be very professional throughout the interview process. Do not swear when answering a basic question and follow it up with “Gosh, I don’t know why I just said that!”

5. Do not try too hard to be a perfect fit for the role.
Show how your qualifications align with the job description, but do not try too hard to be a perfect fit for the role. It would be surprising and a little fishy to find out that you have the exact number of years of experience, in the exact field, with the preferred degrees, and perfect resume and cover letter.

HR managers often want someone who could “hit the ground running,” so it’s surprising (even to them) when they’re turned off by someone who could set the course on fire. As they look out for someone who they think would grow within the role rather than someone who might feel immediately constrained by it.

http://biempowerment.com/2016/09/26/5-donts-interview-3/

Re: 5 Don’ts Of An Interview by bignero: 3:38pm On Sep 26, 2016
fafafafowl

na so so write up to promote blogs

ur points are invalid please, if am not there to talk about me, the why did you invite me? to talk about you?

story...take credit for everything all interveiers want to know is how you can increase the profit margin of their business, dont let them know your human convince them you have supernatural powers to increase their profit they love that...

u guys should stop all this unnecessary write up....job seekers its according to ur faith

2 Likes

Re: 5 Don’ts Of An Interview by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 26, 2016
bignero:
fafafafowl

na so so write up to promote blogs

ur points are invalid please, if am not there to talk about me, the why did you invite me? to talk about you?

story...take credit for everything all interveiers want to know is how you can increase the profit margin of their business, dont let them know your human convince them you have supernatural powers to increase their profit they love that...

u guys should stop all this unnecessary write up....job seekers its according to ur faith
Actually, he made valid points especially career aspiration aspect. I once attended an interview with a multinational coy though haven't heard from them. The question "where do you see yourself in five years came up" the answer I gave left the HR lady and the technical interviewer bewildered.
This is how I answered ; prior to the interview, I did my research about the company and their staff. So when the question pop, I simply answered that I want to be like Mr A who happens to be my technical interviewer.
Mehn, that gave both of them renewed strength to follow up on that single questions with numerous questions. All I answered successfully.
When they exhaust their questions, the lady threw back at me that same question in an attempt to see if I'll change my answer. I simply stood my ground.
If you know nothing about the company or the staff, it adviceable you answer the question in a way not to implicate yourself

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Peace Corps Nigeria Job Real Or Fake? / Vacancy For Web Developer, Creative Personnel And Mobile App Developer Trainer / Logistic Officer And A Driver Needed At Mikacomic Nigeria Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.