Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 (1163 Views)

I Will Not Step Down Nor Die - 93-year-old Zimbabwean President, Mugabe Boast / BREAKING NEWS: President Mugabe Dies At 93-daily Buzz SA / Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by CSTR2: 8:01am On Sep 28, 2016
Shimon Peres, one of the last surviving pillars of Israel’s founding generation, who did more than anyone to build up his country’s formidable military might, then worked as hard to establish a lasting peace with Israel’s Arab neighbors, died on Wednesday in Jerusalem. He was 93.

His death was reported by The Jerusalem Post and confirmed by an official who did not want to speak publicly until the family made an announcement.

Mr. Peres died just over two weeks after suffering a stroke. Doctors kept him largely unconscious and on a breathing tube since then in hopes that it would give his brain a chance to heal. But he deteriorated as the nation he once led watched his last battle play out publicly and leaders from around the world sent wishes for his recovery.

As prime minister (twice); as minister of defense, foreign affairs, finance and transportation; and, until 2014, as president, Mr. Peres never left the public stage during Israel’s seven decades.
He led the creation of Israel’s defense industry, negotiated key arms deals with France and Germany and was the prime mover behind the development of Israel’s nuclear weapons. But he was consistent in his search for an accommodation with the Arab world, a search that in recent years left him orphaned as Israeli society lost interest, especially after the upheavals of the 2011 Arab Spring led to tumult on its borders.

Chosen by Parliament in 2007 to serve a seven-year term as president, Mr. Peres had complicated relations with the hawkish government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, elected in 2009. While largely a ceremonial post, the presidency afforded Mr. Peres a perch with access and public attention, and he tried to exert his influence.

For someone who was dogged for decades by a reputation for vanity and back-room dealing, Mr. Peres ended his years in public office as a remarkably beloved figure, promoting the country’s high-tech prowess and cultural reach, a founding pioneer who set an example for forward thinking.

Never at a loss for a bon mot in his Polish-accented Hebrew, English and French, Mr. Peres said of his transformation: “For 60 years, I was the most controversial figure in the country, and suddenly I’m the most popular man in the land. Truth be told, I don’t know when I was happier, then or now.”

Historic Handshake

In his efforts to help Israel find acceptance in a hostile region, Mr. Peres’s biggest breakthrough came in 1993 when he worked out a plan with the Palestine Liberation Organization for self-government in Gaza and in part of the West Bank, both of which were occupied by Israel.

After months of secret negotiation with representatives of the P.L.O., conducted with the help of Norwegian diplomats and intellectuals, Mr. Peres persuaded his old political rival Yitzhak Rabin, then the prime minister, to accept the plan, which became known as the Oslo Accords.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/shimon-peres-dies-at-93-built-up-israel%e2%80%99s-defense-and-sought-peace/ar-BBwIykT?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp
Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by CSTR2: 8:04am On Sep 28, 2016
Shimon perez
A great man indeed and one of the world's greatest leader ever.

Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 28, 2016
Good and commendable. Biaffra will model herself after isreal with strong, deterrent national defense and intelligence...every Biaffran is automatically an intelligence officer wherever they are around the world since we are scattered like the jews.

Waiting for envious tribe to come and envy my post as always.
Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by APCsupporter: 1:23pm On Sep 28, 2016
Freedom2016:
Good and commendable. Biaffra will model herself after isreal with strong, deterrent national defense and intelligence...every Biaffran is automatically an intelligence officer wherever they are around the world since we are scattered like the jews.

Waiting for envious tribe to come and envy my post as always.

You people are still not done with your ahllucinations

@topic rest in pieces and chaos

2 Likes

Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by Gboyee4fun(m): 5:42am On Oct 01, 2016
great man!!! resurrect back to life in peace when Christ show up.
Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by omololu2020(m): 11:12am On Oct 01, 2016
Gboyee4fun:
great man!!! resurrect back to life in peace when Christ show up.
the jews dont believe in jesus
Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by Gboyee4fun(m): 11:40am On Oct 01, 2016
omololu2020:
the jews dont believe in jesus
not all jews
Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by omololu2020(m): 11:24pm On Oct 03, 2016
Gboyee4fun:

not all jews
have you been to isreal before?
Am telling you the real fact....majority of them don't believe Jesus is the son of God not to now tell them he rose from the grave..
And they are fvcking racist too.
Re: Shimon Peres-the Man Who Built Up Israel's Formidable Military Dies At 93 by Gboyee4fun(m): 12:58am On Oct 04, 2016
omololu2020:
have you been to isreal before?
Am telling you the real fact....majority of them don't believe Jesus is the son of God not to now tell them he rose from the grave..
And they are fvcking racist too.

is majority , All?....I know, that's why I said not all

(1) (Reply)

Israel Helps Hundreds Of Thousands Of Syrians With 360 Tons Of Food(photos) / 3 Reason Why Israel Can’t Be Defeated In A War (photo) / The U.S. Government Had Nelson Mandela On Terrorist Lists Until 2008. Here's Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.