Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,048 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices (1409 Views)

Read The Rules And Practices Of Extreme Programming Online For Free / Best Practices In Managing Your School Management Software / 45 Useful Javascript Tips, Tricks & Best Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2006
I'm sure if you do programming at all, then you'd have heard it.

Is it true or not? Someone just spoke in favour of BASIC. What do y'all think?
Re: BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices by parosky(m): 2:44pm On Dec 29, 2006
That is true with it's traditional branching style, error handling, using a variable without declaring it, poorly implemented OOP techniques just to mention a few. But Have you checked the latest versions of Visual Basic, most of these have been eliminated. This shows BASIC is maturing.
Re: BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:10pm On Dec 29, 2006
not only bad practices but laziness.
Re: BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices by IG: 8:18pm On Feb 11, 2007
not only bad practices but laziness.
I think a good programming language should allow you to do much with little(Allow you to be a lil bit lazy).

I don't see any reason why I will spend 5 months doing something with C++ while Basic can do it in one month. Forget about what poeple say and go for what you believe.

Recently I discovered that I can do a lot Visual Basic.NET that I can't do with Java.
It will also be interesting to know that VB.NET supports more object oriented features than Java (properties,delegate, attributes e.t.c)

There is also this variant of basic called freebasic that can do almost everything C++ can do (freebasic.net)

Don't just go for the hype, look deeper and go for what will solve your problem.
Re: BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices by kenshin(m): 12:54am On Feb 12, 2007
I think beginners to programming should learn Pascal first, it helps to inculcate good programming practices,( type declaration, procedural programming, modular programming) cool
Re: BASIC Fosters Bad Programming Practices by Ghenghis(m): 4:39pm On Feb 14, 2008
It will also be interesting to know that VB.NET supports more object oriented features than Java (properties,delegate, attributes e.t.c)

Your statement is misleading, you mean some features are directly implemented in the language

besides delegates are not really object oriented!!!

Java now supports attributes

no delegates yet, but anonymous inner classes provide callbacks

properties are in java (using Javabeans coding convention)

I've developed non-trivial applications with Basic,C#, and java
I think the structure of languages that use C style syntax is more appealing hence while VB has the power of the .NET CLS at its disposal i find programming java or even javascript more appealing than VB

(1) (Reply)

100+ Java, JS & JSP Apps With Their Source Code That You Can Make Money With / How To Insert Items Into Different Table / Get Started With Laravel 5 – Tutsplus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.