Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,928 members, 7,956,482 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:42 PM

Who Else Eats Ofada Rice? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Who Else Eats Ofada Rice? (1091 Views)

Lady Eats Rat Soup Delicacy (Photos) / Man Eats A Plate Of Eba And Cat Head, Shows It Off (Photos) / Chinese Guy Eats Hungrily On Abuja Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Else Eats Ofada Rice? by JuanDeDios: 9:19pm On Sep 29, 2016
The ofada rice craze finally caught up with me. You see, when I was a student at a rice-producing town, there were two categories of rice on sale in town – local rice and foreign rice. LR was N40 per de rica while FR was N50. Or so. The problem with buying LR was that it usually had stones. (A lot of the "foreign" rice was actually local rice de-stone and cleaned up.) Since I do not very much like hitting stones in my rice, I stuck with FR. But for some years now, the buzz around town in Lagos has been “ofada rice”. Whenever I go to the supermarket, I usually ignored the packs because they looked too small for the price to me. And that was how the goodness of ofada rice kept passing me by. Until this week when I got chatting with this pretty lady and she informs me she has ofada rice for sale. Since it’s usually difficult for well-raised gentlemen like me to refuse a pretty lady in high heels anything without a good reason, I promise to “try it”. And so she brings a truckload of tiny packs (she wrote 500g on them, but they’re not more than a cup or so inside) of N500 to my place. I’m a tidy man. Because my ancestors were watching out for me, I managed to successfully resist her urge to buy a truckload and I only purchased a pack, assuring her I would buy more after “trying it” since I’d not used it before.
You can then imagine my surprise when I opened the pack the following day and ended up spending 10 minutes picking dirt out of it. And on settling down to my beauty dinner an hour later, I hit a stone.

Now, who else has eaten ofada rice? Is this the situation with the stuff that has been making waves all over town? Rice that someone hadn’t bothered to clean or remove stones from?
Re: Who Else Eats Ofada Rice? by beetle24(f): 11:45pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ofada rice tastes yummy bro...try parboil it first, then rinse thoroughly d stones would ve settled off during this process.... good luck and make sure u eat it with ayamase(ofadasauce)
Re: Who Else Eats Ofada Rice? by JuanDeDios: 9:24am On Sep 30, 2016
beetle24:
Ofada rice tastes yummy bro...try parboil it first, then rinse thoroughly d stones would ve settled off during this process.... good luck and make sure u eat it with ayamase(ofadasauce)
OIC. Well, it sure tastes nice. But from what you're saying, stones are a feature of ofada rice and one has to "parboil" and hope they "settle" to the bottom and he manages to find them. Then why do they write "stone and dirt free" on the pack if they're not 419ers? Not for me, then. Goodbye, ofada rice. It was good doing business with you. I'd eat it if someone prepares it and gets the stones out but me I don't have the time and energy to chase stones.
Re: Who Else Eats Ofada Rice? by byvan03: 7:41pm On Sep 30, 2016
Lol, funny thread.

(1) (Reply)

The Best Nigerian Afang Soup Recipe / HIWAP | Make 30k+ Writing Health Articles (scam Or Not) / Wedding Cakes In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.