Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? (1143 Views)

Why Don't Husband's And Father In-laws Fight? / Why Don't My Parents Sleep In The Same Room? / Between The Preacher And The Passengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by ItuExchange(m): 10:52pm On Sep 29, 2016
79 sensible answers already for the question. Let me throw some light from my point of view.

In order to dive from an airliner you would need to be,

in a stable altitude,

at low air speed,

and below about 12 000 ft (though skydiving is performed in 15000–18000 ft max).

One more thing is there won’t be enough time for us to prepare. For example, an analysis made from Air France 447 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Paris) which crashed in 2009 took only 3 mins 22 secs from its peak altitude of the aircraft until impact with ocean. The flight is stalling and loses its control.

You’re panicking and trying to get your chute which itself loses a big amount of time and you need to jump from an opening, no other choice than a door. Someone should open the pressurized door and you cannot depressurize an aircraft over 12k feet since the passengers may pass out.

There is no way 90% of passengers gonna get their parachutes and be prepared in this short time.

There are several other reasons for not using parachutes in commercial jets,

The door of a passenger plane cannot be opened in mid-flight. Even military parachutists wait till the plane gets stable to exit.

Parachutes which can be used by an average person is big enough to slow down a whole airliner. This will be heavy enough, reducing payload as well as increasing the number of flights to transport the same amount of passengers.

An opening in an aircraft destroys the whole fuselage.

Each parachute may weigh 8–10 kgs and too expensive.

It is extremely difficult to exit an unstable aircraft cruising at 400–600 mph. Most of the novice skydivers jump from an aircraft moving at 80–100 mph
A jet which is cruising at 35,000 feet (almost three times higher than a typical jump) every passenger would need equipment like an oxygen tank, mask and regulator, flight suit, helmet and altimeter just to manage the thin air. Or the passengers could just pass out from hypoxia (deficiency in the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues) and wake up later.

Each and every passenger requires training to understand parachute usage. Not everyone is good at listening to flight attendant’s emergency situation instructions or flight safety instructions which we see daily in many flights.

You might be in a panic state and might need to deploy the chute manually (which is practically impossible without prior experience) and what about the impact/injuries during landing? It may be to an open ocean, jungle or desert.

Tickets will become expensive and we know majority of the passengers choose only cheaper aircraft sometimes.

Pilots are always our companions for our safe flight. They will do every possible thing to act during emergency situations.

NB: Yes, there is a plan of deploying a huge chute for an aircraft instead of individual passengers. Not sure how successful this project is gonna be.

The stats produced here are about the commercial airliner and not Cessna/CASA/Douglas/Dornier aircrafts used for skydiving.

People who consider jumping with parachute to the ocean will save your life, please consider how you’ll stay in the ocean swimming for too long unless you find a ship or boat. As explained in comments section, you’ll freeze (hypothermia)/drown to death.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlines-have-parachutes-for-passengers

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 29, 2016
Well I think it's still worth it. They're still all gonna die if the pilot can't regain control of the aircraft.
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by VictorRomanov: 11:55pm On Sep 29, 2016
U need a parachute when u intend to jump off a plane. Who boards a commercial plane with the intension of jumping off?
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2016
VictorRomanov:
Who boards a commercial plane with the intension of jumping off?

Someone who wants to continue living after the plane might have crashed?
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by missjo(f): 3:00pm On Sep 30, 2016
VictorRomanov:
U need a parachute when u intend to jump off a plane. Who boards a commercial plane with the intension of jumping off?
U need a seatbelt when u intend to get an accident. Who enters a car with the intention of getting in an accident?
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by missjo(f): 3:04pm On Sep 30, 2016
There are actually ways to survive a plane crash,its part of the training given to elite military personnel. Emphasis on ELITE, as it is special forces training

ItuExchange
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by babyfaceafrica: 5:38pm On Sep 30, 2016
still want the parachute though.Its better seeing it than it not been available
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by VictorRomanov: 9:11pm On Sep 30, 2016
missjo:

U need a seatbelt when u intend to get an accident. Who enters a car with the intention of getting in an accident?

a seat belt and a parachute are built for practically different purposes. A seat belt is preventive, a parachute is reactive. so your analogy doesn't follow.

when a plane is to crash, u won't have time to jump off. The safest bet is to bring it to land ASAP. To use a parachute, u need steady altitude and a considerable amount of time, which a crash doesn't afford you. so a seat belt and a parachute can't compare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by ednut1(m): 5:18am On Oct 01, 2016
the first time i enta plane i was dissapointed dem no dey put parachute, only life jacket cheesy
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by missjo(f): 5:36pm On Oct 02, 2016
VictorRomanov:

a seat belt and a parachute are built for practically different purposes. A seat belt is preventive, a parachute is reactive. so your analogy doesn't follow.

when a plane is to crash, u won't have time to jump off. The safest bet is to bring it to land ASAP. To use a parachute, u need steady altitude and a considerable amount of time, which a crash doesn't afford you. so a seat belt and a parachute can't compare.

Lol,okay boss. whatever ya say
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 03, 2016
missjo:

Lol,okay boss. whatever ya say
You hav approximately 9 seconds to get the mess out of a plane if a crash is evident.

How you want wear a parachute and open the doors is something i would want to hear.

You also need to understand that you are guaranteed 99.9 to die from asphyxiation or end up inside the planes engine if you jump out.

Where are you jumping to sef? in a thick forest or open sea. Imagine hundreds of people jumping at different points and how rescue work would be extremely hard dince they are scattered around
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by loveslife(f): 9:16am On Oct 03, 2016
ItuExchange:
79 sensible answers already for the question. Let me throw some light from my point of view.

In order to dive from an airliner you would need to be,

in a stable altitude,

at low air speed,

and below about 12 000 ft (though skydiving is performed in 15000–18000 ft max).I

One more thing is there won’t be enough time for us to prepare. For example, an analysis made from Air France 447 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Paris) which crashed in 2009 took only 3 mins 22 secs from its peak altitude of the aircraft until impact with ocean. The flight is stalling and loses its control.

You’re panicking and trying to get your chute which itself loses a big amount of time and you need to jump from an opening, no other choice than a door. Someone should open the pressurized door and you cannot depressurize an aircraft over 12k feet since the passengers may pass out.

There is no way 90% of passengers gonna get their parachutes and be prepared in this short time.

There are several other reasons for not using parachutes in commercial jets,

The door of a passenger plane cannot be opened in mid-flight. Even military parachutists wait till the plane gets stable to exit.

Parachutes which can be used by an average person is big enough to slow down a whole airliner. This will be heavy enough, reducing payload as well as increasing the number of flights to transport the same amount of passengers.

An opening in an aircraft destroys the whole fuselage.

Each parachute may weigh 8–10 kgs and too expensive.

It is extremely difficult to exit an unstable aircraft cruising at 400–600 mph. Most of the novice skydivers jump from an aircraft moving at 80–100 mph
A jet which is cruising at 35,000 feet (almost three times higher than a typical jump) every passenger would need equipment like an oxygen tank, mask and regulator, flight suit, helmet and altimeter just to manage the thin air. Or the passengers could just pass out from hypoxia (deficiency in the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues) and wake up later.

Each and every passenger requires training to understand parachute usage. Not everyone is good at listening to flight attendant’s emergency situation instructions or flight safety instructions which we see daily in many flights.

You might be in a panic state and might need to deploy the chute manually (which is practically impossible without prior experience) and what about the impact/injuries during landing? It may be to an open ocean, jungle or desert.

Tickets will become expensive and we know majority of the passengers choose only cheaper aircraft sometimes.

Pilots are always our companions for our safe flight. They will do every possible thing to act during emergency situations.

NB: Yes, there is a plan of deploying a huge chute for an aircraft instead of individual passengers. Not sure how successful this project is gonna be.

The stats produced here are about the commercial airliner and not Cessna/CASA/Douglas/Dornier aircrafts used for skydiving.

People who consider jumping with parachute to the ocean will save your life, please consider how you’ll stay in the ocean swimming for too long unless you find a ship or boat. As explained in comments section, you’ll freeze (hypothermia)/drown to death.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlines-have-parachutes-for-passengers

Neteller here: www..com.ng

To be honest op, I have given this a deep thought bf. Afterall, people who offer water transport services provide life jackets. Hopefully some knows why undecided

modified... oh well! didn't even read the post. Insightful I'd say.
Re: Why Don't Airlines Have Parachutes For Passengers? by missjo(f): 12:50pm On Oct 03, 2016
x240:

You hav approximately 9 seconds to get the mess out of a plane if a crash is evident.

How you want wear a parachute and open the doors is something i would want to hear.

You also need to understand that you are guaranteed 99.9 to die from asphyxiation or end up inside the planes engine if you jump out.

Where are you jumping to sef? in a thick forest or open sea. Imagine hundreds of people jumping at different points and how rescue work would be extremely hard dince they are scattered around

I don't understand the angle you're coming from because we were not having an argument.
That aside,do you know there are specific places to sit on an airplane that increases the chances of survival after a crash?

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Lady Caught Sleeping With Another Man’s Husband, See What Happened / See What A Facebook User Saw In Her House This Morning (pics) / Celebrating Divorce. When I Don’t Is Sweeter Than I Do.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.