Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,920 members, 7,814,099 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think (30586 Views)

10 Ways To Have A More Successful Career / 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life / 9 Uncommon Signs You Will Be More Successful Than Most People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by ItuExchange(m): 12:18am On Oct 01, 2016
7 Unexpected Signs You're a Lot More Successful Than You Think

Once in a while, you need to stop and smell your roses: Not only is it good for you, it will motivate you to plant even more.

If you compare yourself to certain people it's easy to feel you're unsuccessful. If you're an entrepreneur and you compare yourself to Richard Branson, you lose. If you're a musician and you compare yourself to Taylor Swift (especially if the point of comparison is earnings), you lose. If your goal is to change the world and you compare yourself to Steve...you lose.

That's the problem with comparisons. No matter how successful you feel, there will always be someone who is more successful. There will always someone better, or smarter, or wealthier, or seemingly more happy.

So let's stop comparing and just focus on you. Here are a few signs that you're more successful than you might think--and, in all likelihood, happier too:

1. You have enough money that you can make positive choices.

Many people live paycheck to paycheck. Worse, many have to decide between necessities. (My wife just mentioned the other day how once upon a time she had to decide between filling a prescription for an antibiotic or putting gas in her car.)

If you make enough money, and don't spend so much money, that you can make positive choices about what to do with some of it--whether it's investing, or taking a vacation, or taking classes...anything you want to do instead of have to do--then you're successful, both because you've escaped the paycheck-to-paycheck grind and because you can leverage that extra money to become even more successful.

2. You have close friends.

Close friendship are increasingly rare; one study found that the number of friends respondents felt they could discuss important matters with has dropped from an average of 2.94 to 2.08 in the last 20 years. (So much for the power of social media.)

If you have more than two or three close friends, be glad, not only for the social connection but also because the positive effect of relationships on your life span is double what you get from exercising and just as powerful as quitting smoking.

And where professional relationships are concerned...

3. You choose the people around you.

Some people have employees who drive them nuts. Some people have customers who are obnoxious. Some people have casual acquaintances who are selfish, all-about-me jerks.

Guess what: They chose those people. Those people are in their professional or personal lives because they let them remain.

Successful people attract successful people. Hardworking people attract hardworking people. Kind people associate with kind people. Great employees want to work for great bosses.

If the people around you are people you want to be around you...you're successful. (And if they're not, it's time to start making some changes.)

4. You see failure as training.

Failure sucks, but it's also the best way to learn and grow. There will always be trials, challenges, and obstacles--but perseverance always wins in the end.

Every successful person has failed, numerous times. (Most of them have failed a lot more often than you. That's why they're so successful now.)

If you embrace every failure--if you own it, learn from it, and take full responsibility for making sure that next time things will turn out differently--then you're already successful.

And in time, you'll be even more successful, because you'll never stop trying to be better than you are today.

5. You don't ask for anything.

We've all experienced this moment: We're having a great conversation, we're finding things in common...and then, boom: The other person plays the "I need something" card.

And everything about the interaction changes.

What once appeared friendly has turned needy, almost grasping...and, if you're like me, you feel guilty if you decide you don't want to help.

People who feel successful aren't needy. They accept help if offered, but they don't feel the need to ask. In fact, they focus on what they can do for other people.

6. You let others grab the spotlight.

OK, maybe you did do all the work. Maybe you did move mountains. Maybe you did kick ass and take names.

If you aren't looking for praise or accolades, that means you're successful. That means you feel proud on the inside, where it counts. You don't need the glory; you know what you've achieved.

If you enjoy the validation of others but don't need the validation of others, you're successful.

And you know it...even if you don't show it.

7. You have a purpose.

Successful people have a purpose. As a result, they're excited, dedicated, passionate, and fearless.

And they share their passions with others.

If you're found a purpose--if you've found something that inspires you, fuels you, makes you excited to get up, get out, and achieve--then you're successful, regardless of how much money you make or what other people think.

Why? Because you're living life your way--and that's the best sign of success there is.

Source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/6eMH9w/:I_UHUVJQ:V0eNqei$/www.inc.com/jeff-haden/7-unexpected-signs-youre-a-lot-more-successful-than-you-think.html

Neteller here: www..com.ng

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by DozieInc(m): 12:30am On Oct 01, 2016
Lovely piece. At times we tend to forget that the things we have now were dreams of yesterday.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Mologi(m): 12:43am On Oct 01, 2016
I sincerely concur with op's writings....

And we need to know that common law doesn't always apply to all cases that may even look same....

Man just need to know thyself...

And when u stop surprising urself(wit inferiority complex) then u start understanding your life......

#justmologi

8 Likes

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by nairalife2013(m): 1:31am On Oct 01, 2016
Great!
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by kreemzo1(m): 7:38pm On Oct 01, 2016
Very Good write Up...On Point!
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by gist4kidsblog: 6:44am On Oct 04, 2016
Confirm
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by eleojo23: 6:44am On Oct 04, 2016
Nice writeup.
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 04, 2016
nm
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 04, 2016
I kinda love this cool
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by dicksonadams(m): 6:47am On Oct 04, 2016
This made me feel like omo boti
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Felaak47(m): 6:47am On Oct 04, 2016
Okay
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Timoviral(m): 6:49am On Oct 04, 2016
Well written
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by deebrain(m): 6:52am On Oct 04, 2016
BEAUTIFUL.
the more reasons to give thanks.
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by deebrain(m): 6:52am On Oct 04, 2016
cheesy
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by ANIEXTY(m): 6:52am On Oct 04, 2016
I'll save this page

1 Like

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by theGistsonline: 6:58am On Oct 04, 2016
When you have number 1 what else can you possibly need again

2 Likes

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 04, 2016
The 7points above is soo me, thats my natural temperament. Right from my primary school days all through the university till now. However I don't like to count my chicks, to me success is measured by what's in front of you, not what's potentially achievable
I'm a Mel-Phleg.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by frankloloko: 7:04am On Oct 04, 2016
Good but don't ever google about hiv sympton . It might change your vision

2 Likes

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by lajoshua: 7:09am On Oct 04, 2016
op I love this.. nice one.. check my signature guys ✌✌✌✌
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Rekyz(m): 7:12am On Oct 04, 2016
I just realise how successful I am. Nice write-up.
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by sipsip(m): 7:13am On Oct 04, 2016
Lovely write up.
Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by PierreDeFermat(m): 7:14am On Oct 04, 2016
You're a liar sir. Diddy can also read an article like this but compare himself with Taylor Swift and hell yeah,he earns more than Taylor Swift and he's richer than Taylor Swift. Old idioms,believes and proverbs don't work again in 2016,they just demotivate people

1 Like

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by HoldenCaulfield(m): 7:15am On Oct 04, 2016
So you mean i am not successful

1 Like

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 04, 2016
kiss

5 Likes

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by EmmaOgbu(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2016
I guess am getting close to achieving the above mentioned. If not because of CHANGE, I will have reached my target by now. But I will still reach dia, with or without CHANGE

1 Like

Re: 7 Unexpected Signs You're More Successful Than You Think by Tedoscar: 7:27am On Oct 04, 2016
Food for thought

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is Your Salary? How Many Months Salary Would Make Up Ur House Rent? / BEDC Staff Electrocuted In Edo (Photos) / Fg Increases Salary Of Workers Next Year.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.