Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success (21219 Views)

How To Calculate CGPA And Meet Up With A Target Grade Level Of Graduation / Nnadi Nnedimkpa Susan Graduates With 4.93 CGPA From Covenant University / The Euphoria Of CGPA And The Illusion Of Sucess Among University Students.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by AmbodOfLASU: 12:18pm On Oct 03, 2016
chukuli:
u wan go do masters for iyanoba high school(lasu).wen u go finish

Quite delusional!

LASU's calendar is one of the fastest presently. We are ahead of even Unilag, U.I and OAU. Yes, I know LASU had challenges in the past, but LASU is one of the best Universities presently. Mind you, Solmon Arase(former IGP), Idiat Adebule(Deputy Governor), Farida Waziri(Former EFCC Chairman) just to mention but a few all had their Masters from LASU. Not to talk of the thousands of great people that had their degrees from the prestigious Lagos State University. I'm a living witness of the quality education LASU offers. LASU graduates are doing well all over the world - one of our graduates recently graduated from Oxford University as the overall best student in Finance Law(out of many students from over 32countries). You can check my profile to see the report.

Meanwhile, have u heard of Professor Lanre Fagbohun, the new VC of LASU and how he is blazing the train of development in LASU?

Cc Aanuoluwapo3054

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by AmbodOfLASU: 12:26pm On Oct 03, 2016
AnonyNymous:
AmbodeofLASU . . . great writeup. The only thing I have a problem with is you downplaying the 'first class' grade and stereotyping it to something only 'crammers' achieve. Its very possible to be innovative, but at the same time 'give unto Caesar'. Well, that's why I like my university, innovation and research is celebrated.

Which University is that sir?
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Talkwell: 12:29pm On Oct 03, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

nice write up,i sent a whatsapp msg cos i saw a tweet

Hello,Ynaija is looking for a columnist,an undergraduate,

Check out @Chude's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Chude/status/782893214055469056?s=09
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by AmbodOfLASU: 12:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
ephi123:
I've seen so many 'scholars' who starts a sentence with "Am", who doesn't even know when to use "Have and I've".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are going to point out others' errors, then your use of English is expected to be impeccable. This error above is just one of several I spotted in your write-up. Other than that, it is a long but interesting read.

I also pointed out some errors after going through it again. It's difficult to type long write ups on small phones. You will always make some little errors. Although, it's impossible to modify what has already made the front page.

Thank you very much cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by AmbodOfLASU: 12:32pm On Oct 03, 2016
gustalnov:
Is it just me or what? I read the article two times over. The English is very poor, sentence construction suffers and the author does not adequately express his thoughts. He goes on long digressions that not only divert from the topic, but also suggest he may mean something else while saying another thing. Evidently, this is a stuttering attempt at writing. However, it's a good start. But it needs a lot of work.

On the major discussion in the article regarding grades, he says the truth. The Nigerian education system is defective and not suited to students of a different mind. Unfortunately, that's what we have to deal with for now.

No man is an Island sir. I also just spotted an error from your little comment.

Thanks for the comment anyway winkwink

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by ephi123(f): 12:34pm On Oct 03, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

I also pointed out some errors after going through it again. It's difficult to type long write ups on small phones. You will always make some little errors. Although, it's impossible to modify what has already made the front page.

No worries. I know it is not easy typing on a phone not to mention the length of the article. We all learn everyday in any case.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by AmbodOfLASU: 12:35pm On Oct 03, 2016
ephi123:

No worries. I know it is not easy typing on a phone not to mention the length of the article. We all learn everyday in any case.

Thanks smiley smiley
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by piousMind(m): 12:58pm On Oct 03, 2016
Threads about this Issue of CGPA is becoming superfluous. But we can't get enough of it, can we?

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by whitebeard(m): 1:21pm On Oct 03, 2016
talk about amazing..this article is..before I entered sch and while in sch I have always thought about this...I don't cram I study I do research...

One of my most annoying day in sch was when I asked my lecturer a simple question he gave me an answer...I just took it in partially cause I was not comfortable with the answer..I decided to do a research.. Before the research I had a very likely answer...during research I found out that my answer was correct... I never wanted to attend that class again..I felt like dude I am wasting my time...

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by imoh070: 1:24pm On Oct 03, 2016
You have a great article bro and a different view of how we should diversify talent...thumbs up bro

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by j64real(m): 1:40pm On Oct 03, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Good luck. Be yourself and keep studying the way its worked for you. The way that got you into the university. Don't "try" anything new/funny yet, because its your first year. If it backfires you'll spend the rest of your university years struggling to get back on top. Good luck again

Thanks Man, I appreciate your advise
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

Its a private university, Afe Babalola University. . . just last semester there was a special research class on robotics free for everyone to join. . . two semesters ago our students invented something that won a prize at an international summit in Canada . . . even personally creative ideas are welcomed. I remember getting a bonus last semester in Engineering math because I used a completely different approach to a problem in a test. My prof sent for me. . . I have a friend too that isn't that great at memorizing, but is an excellent engineer. . . he applies concepts and builds prototypes and sometimes, based on his use of the concept in relation to what was taught, lecturers use his designs to substitute for some parts where he didn't do too well in the written test. As I said, its a private university though. I wish Federal schools could be like that too, but the problem is that there's no motivation and incentive. . . a lecturer that's owed like 3 months salary can't be excited to work with students, all he'll be thinking about is how to feed himself and his family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by attention007(m): 2:25pm On Oct 03, 2016
Nice piece! Glad i went through the entire writeup.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Emmydek(m): 2:48pm On Oct 03, 2016
Kdamilola:

Your perspective, I think! Many people think anyone who criticizes the system are either with a low CGPA and thus finding an excuse or deemed unserious!! From your comment, I can say that you were a first class graduate or ended with a strong 2:1, but just because you are successful because you were able to cope with the system doesn't infer that the system is fine.

We have different levels of assimilation, and thus shouldn't rebuke or castigate those who can't assimilate at this rate!

Shalom
without much words I just want you to know that consistency is key in anything in life whether you assimilate quickly or slowly.... With the system many Nigerians are there in abroad beating others who grew up with a better system....

Criticism of a system doesn't mean the critics are/were poor students. I always want the lying dog to be let alone.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Kdamilola(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2016
Emmydek:
without much words I just want you to know that consistency is key in anything in life whether you assimilate quickly or slowly....

And don't you now think something should be done to aid those who assimilate slowly in order to be consistent like their fast learning counterparts?
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Emmydek(m): 3:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
Kdamilola:

And don't you now think something should be done to aid those who assimilate slowly in order to be consistent like their fast learning counterparts?
I can see fault in your write up. Are all fast learners consistent? It's not how far but how well. There are many slow learners out there who the fast learners can't contend with.. why? consistency!!!
I know people who assimilate quickly and also forget quickly..

The point I think we should be raising is that whatever system one follows he should develop himself to be pragmatic and not esoteric to be able to face challenges in his line. We should stop mouthing criticism
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Kdamilola(m): 3:17pm On Oct 03, 2016
Emmydek:

I can see fault in your write up. Are all fast learners consistent? It's not how far but how well. There are many slow learners out there who the fast learners can't contend with.. why? consistency!!!
I know people who assimilate quickly and also forget quickly..

The point I think we should be raising is that whatever system one follows he should develop himself to be pragmatic and not esoteric to be able to face challenges in his line. We should stop mouthing criticism

To someone who doesn't support your view, there would of course be a fault!

I never disputed the fact that some slow learners are much better than their fast learning peers. But do we have a system that gives them the required period they need before they can understand what is being taught?

You have the gene to become good, but you grew up in a bad environment, don't you think you'd be phenotypically bad?!

And for the issue of criticism, a society needs it to grow! A child can not improve if he always receives pats on the back regardless of what he does. We should laud the good deeds and constructively criticize the bad ones.

#shalom
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Emmydek(m): 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2016
Kdamilola:

To someone who doesn't support your view, there would of course be a fault!

I never disputed the fact that some slow learners are much better than their fast learning peers. But do we have a system that gives them the required period they need before they can understand what is being taught?

You have the gene to become good, but you grew up in a bad environment, don't you think you'd be phenotypically bad?!

And for the issue of criticism, a society needs it to grow! A child can not improve if he always receives pats on the back regardless of what he does. We should laud the good deeds and constructively criticize the bad ones.

#shalom

Okay.It's really nice sharing opinions with you.. Your points are very nice..
I remain conservative.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by AmbodOfLASU: 4:48pm On Oct 03, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Its a private university, Afe Babalola University. . . just last semester there was a special research class on robotics free for everyone to join. . . two semesters ago our students invented something that won a prize at an international summit in Canada . . . even personally creative ideas are welcomed. I remember getting a bonus last semester in Engineering math because I used a completely different approach to a problem in a test. My prof sent for me. . . I have a friend too that isn't that great at memorizing, but is an excellent engineer. . . he applies concepts and builds prototypes and sometimes, based on his use of the concept in relation to what was taught, lecturers use his designs to substitute for some parts where he didn't do too well in the written test. As I said, its a private university though. I wish Federal schools could be like that too, but the problem is that there's no motivation and incentive. . . a lecturer that's owed like 3 months salary can't be excited to work with students, all he'll be thinking about is how to feed himself and his family.

Oh... I have a couple of friends there. Although, we don't really talk these days. ABUAD is a great University. I should visit soon. Kindly message me on Whatsapp(use my number on the article). Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Kdamilola(m): 5:17pm On Oct 03, 2016
Emmydek:

Okay.It's really nice sharing opinions with you.. Your points are very nice..
I remain conservative.

I admire your points as well, they are salient! It's nice having people who believe in something and get it implemented, and nicer when they seem not too rigid, giving room to other people to state their opinions.

I salute you sir.

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Alyoungie(m): 7:12pm On Oct 03, 2016
Kirinwa:

I know your type. You are merely looking for your stomach welfare. Hoping that you'll be noticed and offered one appointment or another in government house. You are not different from our politicians that have abandoned their numerous promises after being elected.

You have not even started and you are already calling Lalasticlala. Anyway I am not against your ambition cos hunger is in the land. What I don't support is your approach.

Besides what have you contributed in this recession period and what solution have you brought to Nigerian's national development?
I can see the Op hit a nerve here, you surely sound like one of the CGPA chasers. This points as raised by the Op are quite fascinating as well as true. He has made his point, disagree objectively if you must. Stop going about asking people for their CGPA.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by tosyne2much(m): 10:55pm On Oct 03, 2016
blackteddy:
first class does not guarantee wealth. Dangote get first class? but that is not an excuse not to study hard in sch.
hahaha cheesy
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by tosyne2much(m): 11:17pm On Oct 03, 2016
AnonyNymous:

I never knew we are neighbours... Im from the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti. cool

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by tosyne2much(m): 11:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
AmbodOfLASU, you just earned my respect with this wonderful article.. Thumbs up sir
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by MrMacinterchi1: 11:39pm On Oct 03, 2016
Toks2008:
Sometimes coming out with a first class or 2.1 might make a graduate more redundant than a 2.2 or even a 3rd class graduate because while the first class and 2.1 graduate is hell bent on getting a job with the believe that his grades should fetch him one, the 2.2 and 3rd class graduate has resorted to making something worthwhile out
their life which usually pays off.

Most companies first class and 2.1 graduates are scrambling to work in are actually owned by drop outs and people with lesser grades.

My BRo. There is no straight way to success in life; one has to find and adapt to one that suit them.

May God help us.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by segunotiti(m): 11:17am On Oct 04, 2016
I survived through school by combining both cramming and individuality (understanding). I needed the CGPA and also needed to do the right thing. finished with a 4.
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Boldstar(m): 11:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
Goddys:
You have a good mastery of English language and I learn from your write up.

However, I need to inform you that English language is imposed on British colonies by their slave masters to keep them under subjugation and mental slavery, and also to cause them see British lifestyles and system of education as superior to their native cultures.

In my days at university, I learnt that western education system impose on us is to tame our minds from thinking afar. We are restricted to think within the confine of our area of study when commonsense demands we have grasp of all aspect of life to be termed 'educated'.
In ancient times, the great philosophers like Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Thales, etc were taught in all areas of life ranging from politics, science, history,law,religion to name it..
In order to grasp the in depth fundamentals of any field of study, you need to know the basics which will get you grounded to research and seek knowledge independently.
The elite of the earth who control world economy, politics, finance etc are taught using this all encompassing mode of education which give them the esoteric aura that ordinary person would never acquire.
You are qualified to call yourself educated only when you have grasp of every thinkable aspect of life and universe. Most of our professors are only educated in their field and versed with grandiloquence which gives them aura of erudition whereas they are half-baked.
I am still learning because I know that until I grasp all the fundamentals of life and its relativity to our daily struggles, I am not educated. I think this should be the mindset of all undergraduates and not the mad desire to come on top of their classes.
I HATE WESTERN MODE OF EDUCATION.

Do you know 'Boko Haram' means I HATE WESTERN MODE OF EDUCATION?
Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by QuantAnalyst: 4:51am On Oct 05, 2016
AnonyNymous:

anonynymous, I sent you a PM. Kindly check and respond. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Tobitrueman(m): 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2016
Badge1:

if u lik drop out or no read...... adapt to d Nigerian university system n hit dat high CGPA. it doesn't stop u from getting other basic skills u need to succeed in life

Hahaha, true talk

In a nutshell the OP is trying to posit that 'when you are in Rome, do as the Romans do' but if they are eating poo(feaces), do so/not with sense.

1 Like

Re: The Euphoria of CGPA and the Illusion of Success by Tobitrueman(m): 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2016
Bluetooth2:

Nigerians are quick to compare themselves with the likes of Steve and Zuckerburg. Those guys didnt think outside the box, they think like there's no box.

Epic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNIBEN Vc’s ALLEGED POISONING: ‘lecturers Punished For ‘crimes Against Humanity / ABUAD Best Med Doctor, Esther Azom Gets N5.7m Car / Government Owned Schools In Lagos With Boarding Facilities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.