Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,367 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round (11593 Views)

Southern Ijaw Election Rerun....#bayelsaDecides Updates. / Is There Any Other Way Of Getting To Rivers State From Imo State? / JUNGLE JUSTICE! Civilian JTF Beheads 41 Boko Haram Members, Army Looks Other Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by gadogado(m): 4:08am On Oct 16, 2009
I have noticed that you ocassionally see northern men specifically of hausa/fulani extraction marrying yoruba or igbo women or any other tribe from the south for that matter. for example, Atiku Abubakar's first wife is yoruba and his 4th wife is igbo. However, you never hear whether elite big man or common man from the south marrying a hausa/fulani girl. Why is this? I'm sure it's political or maybe has something to do with inferiority/superiority politics and identity in nigeria. whats your take coz its not like hausa or fulani girls are not pretty but they are never interested in marrying men from the south.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:11am On Oct 16, 2009
says who?

I have semi-Hausa relatives on both sides. Not that we're close though.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by AloyEmeka6: 4:14am On Oct 16, 2009
tpia.:

says who?

I have semi-Hausa relatives on both sides. Not that we're close though.

How is that possible when your mother is Yoruba and she does not know who your father is?. Last time, it was your paternal Delta relatives and now its hausa relatives from your fathers side.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:18am On Oct 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How is that possible when your mother is Yoruba and she does not know who your father is?. Last time, it was your paternal  Delta relatives and now its hausa relatives from your fathers side.

shut up you idiot and stop derailing the thread.

Its my grandmother who is Yoruba. My dad is hausa and my mum half Yoruba half hausa.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:21am On Oct 16, 2009
anyway

coz its not like hausa or fulani girls are not pretty but they are never interested in marrying men from the south.

you lie.

men from the south who want to marry hausa girls dont usually have a problem doing so, to the best of my knowledge. Getting the marriage to last is the real issue.

besides, there's that freeborn matter and some other thing. If you dont aspire to marry above your station there wont likely be a problem.

if you date the first one and get refused, just keep trying until one door opens somewhere nah. Dont know how my relatives did theirs anyway.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Fhemmmy: 4:26am On Oct 16, 2009
have u tried to marry one and yu were stopped?
Where did u get your argument from?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by AloyEmeka6: 4:29am On Oct 16, 2009
tpia.:

shut up you idiot and stop derailing the thread.

Its my grandmother who is Yoruba. My dad is hausa and my mum half Yoruba half hausa.

That means you are hausa[if you actually know your dad] and not Yoruba. Yoruba wannabe grin grin grin grin. Where did Delta fall into your complex equation?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:33am On Oct 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

That means you are hausa[if you actually know your dad] and not Yoruba. Yoruba wannabe grin grin grin grin. Where did Delta fall into your complex equation?

why dont you tell me.

or better still, go and ask the person who told you.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by bawomolo(m): 4:35am On Oct 16, 2009
yall are weird
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by AloyEmeka6: 4:35am On Oct 16, 2009
tpia.:

why dont you tell me.

or better still, go and ask the person who told you.

I thought it was an igbo man who knocked up your mother. I didn't know it was an hausa maiguard. Why the hatred for igbos na?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I thought it was a Yoruba man who knocked up my mother. I didn't know it was an hausa maiguard. Why the hatred for Yorubas na?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:37am On Oct 16, 2009
@ TOPIC
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by TheSly: 4:39am On Oct 16, 2009
Tpia. . . . . .Not again! cheesy
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 4:42am On Oct 16, 2009
The Sly:

Tpia. . . . . .Not again! cheesy

um, do you mind?

little space plz?

why not stay in romance and sexuality section where I no dey. Dont cause trouble for me here oh- I'm a peace loving person and I dont want your wives coming after me for something I didnt do.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by AloyEmeka6: 4:44am On Oct 16, 2009
tpia.:

um, do you mind?

little space plz?

why not stay in romance and sexuality section where I no dey.

Did Sly do you hit and run again?. I thought it was Bawomolo who tapped your booty on his car hood while promising you marriage?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by OgidiBoy(m): 4:47am On Oct 16, 2009
Tribal thread + Aloy~Emeka = Mrs Tpia
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by udezue(m): 4:47am On Oct 16, 2009
Hausa man marrying an Igbo woman? *disgusted* wants to vommit. Abomination. The Igbo woman gotta be a LovePeddler no Igbo man wants to marry. What happened to Efik, Idoma, Ijo, Isoko, etc?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by AloyEmeka6: 4:49am On Oct 16, 2009
udezue:

Hausa man marrying an Igbo woman? *disgusted* wants to vommit. Abomination. The Igbo woman gotta be a LovePeddler no Igbo man wants to marry. What happened to Efik, Idoma, Ijo, Isoko, etc?

You are a big fat liar. I know a lot of hausa men married to igbo women and vice versa.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by OgidiBoy(m): 4:50am On Oct 16, 2009
udezue:

Why do you say that? I grew up in the north and know a lot of nice Igbo girls that are married to Hausa men. shocked
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by dayokanu(m): 5:11am On Oct 16, 2009
@Poster,

Are you sure Titi was Atikus first wife or was she just the official wife?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by aieromon(m): 6:03am On Oct 16, 2009
You need to convert to Islam to marry 'em Hausa girls.At least i know of one Delta guy who did so.
Did i forget to mention that he ran away with his kids after 8 years tongue
Please,don't ask me why.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Identity crisis na. cool
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 16, 2009
^^ get thee behind me satan
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by gadogado(m): 7:24pm On Oct 16, 2009
you guys are not answering the question, you give instances of hausa MEN marrying southern WOMEN but not Southern MEN marrying hausa WOMEN. I have never seen it and im sure its extremely difficult for southern men to marry hausa women. give me an example of any nigerian celebrity i:e politician who is a southerner and has married a hausa lady. it just doesnt happen and if it does, its 1 in 1,000,000 but the reverse (hausa man-southern woman) in 1 in every 1,000. Why is this??
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by gadogado(m): 7:26pm On Oct 16, 2009
dayokanu:

@Poster,

Are you sure Titi was Atikus first wife or was she just the official wife?

yup, though it doesnt matter coz thats not the issue, the issue is that he's a northerner and shes from the south but you never hear of southern man marrying a northern girl. WHY?
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by gadogado(m): 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

You are a big fat liar. I know a lot of hausa men married to igbo women and vice versa.

yeah hausa men marry southern women but not vice versa, give me an example of a well known southern woman who married a hausa or fulani girl, there are many well known nothern men who married southern women!!why is it not the other way round? undecided
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by gadogado(m): 7:31pm On Oct 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

have u tried to marry one and yu were stopped?
Where did u get your argument from?

im a northerner dude, but im saying from my observation, ive never seen northern women marrying southern men, why??you never see it (hausa or fulani especially) maybe nupe girls will marry southerners but certainly not hausa or fulani women.its like they're saying, over my dead body will marry a southern man undecided
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 16, 2009
gadogado:

you guys are not answering the question, you give instances of hausa MEN marrying southern WOMEN but not Southern MEN marrying hausa WOMEN. I have never seen it and im sure its extremely difficult for southern men to marry hausa women. give me an example of any nigerian celebrity i:e politician who is a southerner and has married a hausa lady. it just doesnt happen and if it does, its 1 in 1,000,000 but the reverse (hausa man-southern woman) in 1 in every 1,000. Why is this??

*Reasons why you may not have noticed many southern men/northern women marriages are:

1. Southerners may not be interested in such marriages.

2. You will have to convert to Islam before her family will fully accept you as a son in-law.

3. Cultural and religious differences.

4. Distance.

5. Most southern men, Igbos especially dont like marrying outside their locality, coupled with the memories of the Biafran war.

*Reasons northern men marry southern women:

1. A supposedly big reward awaits muslims who converts an "Infidel" to Islam.

2. Love.

3. Location and convenience.

4. Complexion.

5. Stability in marriage.

6. Literate southern women.

7. The secret desire to explore the open mindedness of southern women.

8. Good sex (unconfirmed). grin
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by deor03(m): 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2009
nuzo:

8. Good sex (unconfirmed). grin

Try an Hausa girl, and your hypothesis might be proven wrong grin grin
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 16, 2009
gadogado:

im a northerner dude, but im saying from my observation, ive never seen northern women marrying southern men, why??you never see it (hausa or fulani especially) maybe nupe girls will marry southerners but certainly not hausa or fulani women.its like they're saying, over my dead body will marry a southern man undecided

well if you guys were marrying one-to-one may be your women would have been enough.

Its cos you marry 4 women to one man and thats the general rule, thats why you have ur men looking for southern women.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by ProAnti: 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2009
During my service, I met this pretty Hausa girl and we struck an uncommon friendship. She was so nice and open and had lots of very friendly siblings. I met the mum, who was equally nice, and also the dad. The family was an educated bunch.
We fell in love, but as an apostle of d fight against pre-marital sex, we didnt hv sex. I finished my service and got an O&G job. We eventually discussed marriage but the response wasnt so nice. She was ready to do anything for me but told me her Family would never support her marrying a Christain especially a southern one. I did all I could to convince her parents all to no avail.

Right now I'm all alone still praying for the parents to change their mind. Please somebody, join me in prayers.
Re: How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 16, 2009
well, the ones I know (my relatives) have hausa mothers. Like I said, I dont know how the marriages happened. I guess my peeps got charisma or something cheesy j/k

Also, there are Hausa Christians as well though the "disinclination" to marry southerners might be irrespective of religion- I'm not sure.

notwithstanding, there are quite a lot of northern women/southern men marriages- they dont get a lot of publicity most likely for safety reasons.

I think generally, in the north, southerners arent seen as trustworthy partners maybe. Simply guessing. Religion aside.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos / Uzodimma: Despite Attacks In Imo, The People Are Happier Under My Administration / This Picture Shows Where Unknown Gunmen Are Coming From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.