Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

My Cancer Survivor Story - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Cancer Survivor Story (423 Views)

Meet Jasmine, The Cancer Survivor (Photos) / Breast Cancer Survivor Bares It All On Red Carpet: Media React (photo) / 23-Year-Old Lady And Cancer Survivor With A Bionic Leg. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Cancer Survivor Story by Sabergol99(m): 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2016
Hope I don't bore you too much. So I was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) September 2008 when I was just 14 years old. I'll admit as at then i had heard of cancer and knew it was bad, but I really wasn't prepared for all that was gonna follow.
I went through 2 hellish intensive chemotherapy courses ( which is probably worse than the cancer itself) that lasted for 49 days. I was indeed a shadow of myself and losing about 35kg, my ability to walk and coordinate (albeit temporary) and not to mention I was stone bald from chemo!!
Thinking I was in for some respite, I was told after some tests that the blast or cancer cells were still too many in my blood and I had to undergo another round of intensive chemo. I ran! I literally ran! My parents were so scared of losing me that they opted to take their chances with cancer and I supported them 100 percent. We decided to discharge me against the advice of the medical personnel at UBTH. I was later told that the doctors had predicted that I'd be dead within 6 months of non-treatment.
Cancer has not been easy. It's a most formidable foe turned friend (I'll explain later) that won't rest till you're a cadaver.
Since then I've had to deal with all sorts of life threatening ailments including Pneumonia, tuberculosis and crazy mental battles to stay alive. I also don't get too close to people cause I feel my time is limited, no need to get attached. But getting broken is not an option.
I really do believe am a much better person today because of my experiences. A better Son, brother, friend, philanthropist (in my own little way) and humanist. Cancer has been that faithful friend, that little reminder that I've got to make use of every second of every minute of every day.
Why am I telling you all this?
Cause you may be going through hell right now. Just keep on keeping on. We're all a lot stronger than we think.
HOPE THIS INSPIRES SOMEONE
P.S. Now a graduate, NYSC calling...

(1) (Reply)

We Need Over 600 Radiotherapy Machines - Experts Tells FG / Scientists Discover Some Evidences Of Life After Death / Pure And Natural Honey At Wholesale Price In Abuja And Environs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.