Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,115 members, 7,845,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? (825 Views)

My Tenant Brought Me A Life Cow / Nairalanders Help; My Tenant Is Frustrating Me / Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? by greggng: 1:52am On Oct 04, 2016
Please move this to the front page. 5years ago I rented my bran new house to a tenant who has been staying there till date. 7days ago I contacted him to remind him that his rent will be due by December and that I will appreciate his prompt renewal so that I can add money to rent another accommodation. My rent has expired this august and I have duly informed my land lady to give me till December to park out. She has been a pain on my neck.

My tenant responded by telling me that the borehole has been pumping out sand and he suspects it has failed.According to him, he invited two borehole technician who told him it has failed and there is the need to dig another. He told me they charged him 230k. Right now am confused cos his annual rent is 300k and that can only help me get a one room apartment in the area I currently live. I am now in a big mess cos if he had to deduct 230k from 300k, then I wont be able to rent a place..My intention is to ask him to pay me my rent and at the same time foot the borehole bill, but I will make necessary deductions in his next rent. My worry is that he has been complaining lately of being broke.What do I do if he refuses to accept my suggestion? Should I send him a notice to quit? I cannot afford to be homeless cos i want to make my tenant comfortable. Please advice me before I make a mistake.May I remind us that I am the only landlord that still charges 300k for my 3bedroom apartment within that locality. Must of them charge 500-600k.
Re: Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? by amunkita(m): 2:46am On Oct 04, 2016
So, if ur tenant does not pay you, you can't pay ur own rent

What of a situation he falls sick nd uses the rent for medicals, u won't pay ur landlord's rent..

If he is complaining of being broke while his rent expires in december nd u re planning on quitting him, then ur landlord needs to bundle you to dungeon locks the door nd throws the key into river Jordan since ur own rent expired in August..

What is really wrong with men this days, thinking sheepishly...

Oga sort ur rent, if u ve to borrow, get it done or possibly move back to ur home nd occupy it...
Re: Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? by Dinocarex(m): 11:55am On Oct 04, 2016
Hello Op,
The issue is kinda dicey but I will give you my professional advice as an Estate Manager (B.Tech). I believe you are dealing directly with the tenant without a professional manager. Things like this would have been avoided if the tenant is dealing with a third party and not you directly.
Now to ask some few questions:
1. Did he tell you about the faulty borehole before he went to repair it by himself?
2. If he did... What was your response before he went to repair it?
3. Is there any contractual agreement prior to how repairs are to be done on the said property?

Pls do answer me and I will tell u the next line of action!!
Re: Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? by greggng: 12:35am On Oct 12, 2016
Dinocarex:
Hello Op,
The issue is kinda dicey but I will give you my professional advice as an Estate Manager (B.Tech). I believe you are dealing directly with the tenant without a professional manager. Things like this would have been avoided if the tenant is dealing with a third party and not you directly.
Now to ask some few questions:
1. Did he tell you about the faulty borehole before he went to repair it by himself?
2. If he did... What was your response before he went to repair it?
3. Is there any contractual agreement prior to how repairs are to be done on the said property?

Pls do answer me and I will tell u the next line of action!!

Thanks for the question. he only reported to me that the borehole is pumping out sand. He has not done any repair yet. He only called some plumber to remove the pumping machine to avoid it been damaged. I have seen called two borehole experts and they advised i dig another one
I went further to invite the person that dug the borehole and he told me he wanna try something. He called it flushing and if that didn't work then we will be considering another. My only worry is that i needed his rent at this critical time to enable me rent another place. I dont mind deducting whatever spent on digging another one from his next rent. Sure as per contractual agreement it clearly stated that a major repair on the house will be done by the landlord. I dont know if that covers borehole . Like i said i cannot sleep outside to please my TENANT. If the flushing fails, then he has option to park out or look for other source of getting water or he can do it and get a refund in form of deduction of said amount from rent. Any arrangement that makes me sleep outside will me quit notice , I dont care when it will end. but it must surely end
Re: Please Advice Should I Quit My Tenant? by Dinocarex(m): 7:46pm On Oct 12, 2016
greggng:

Thanks for the question. he only reported to me that the borehole is pumping out sand. He has not done any repair yet. He only called some plumber to remove the pumping machine to avoid it been damaged. I have seen called two borehole experts and they advised i dig another one
I went further to invite the person that dug the borehole and he told me he wanna try something. He called it flushing and if that didn't work then we will be considering another. My only worry is that i needed his rent at this critical time to enable me rent another place. I dont mind deducting whatever spent on digging another one from his next rent. Sure as per contractual agreement it clearly stated that a major repair on the house will be done by the landlord. I dont know if that covers borehole . Like i said i cannot sleep outside to please my TENANT. If the flushing fails, then he has option to park out or look for other source of getting water or he can do it and get a refund in form of deduction of said amount from rent. Any arrangement that makes me sleep outside will me quit notice , I dont care when it will end. but it must surely end

Well read sir... I now understand clearly what you are saying. Well, according to Nigeria laws, before you evict a tenant, you must give 6 months prior notice.

Well, the only thing you can do now is
*whispers*
If you don't have money for digging new borehole, just clearly state it to the tenant that you are financial incapacitated presently.

Hence, if he can't stay where there is no running water, he will look else where....

It gets dicey here; if he request for 6 months, tell him you didnt issue him quit notice and that he choose to vacant the appartment willingly.

If he demand more time, tell him, yearly tenancy is meant to be paid at the start of the new tenancy year in full and not in bit.

If you need more info: Kindly reach out to me rolandsuccess1@gmail.com.

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Gets UK Order For Scent Leaf Export / Mind Blowing Facts / MMM Nigeria : Letter From Sergey Mavrodi To The Nigerian Authorities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.