Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Those Three Little Words - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Those Three Little Words (1161 Views)

Little Words And Happiness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 5:53pm On Oct 04, 2016
This would be my first attempt in writing a story. Constructive criticism and advise are strongly welcomed.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any actual
resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales is entirely
coincidental.

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 6:46pm On Oct 04, 2016
CHAPTER ONE

The first time i saw her was on sunday. She sat in the front row in church. "She's so beautiful" Ebuka asserted staring at her with his big brown eyes and nodding his head in affirmation. Her Dad had just been transferred to our branch; He was our new district Pastor. She sat there, carefully ransacking the cathedral as though she were an inspector. Her eyes were so blue one would wonder if they glowed at night. She wore a red lipstick which complemented the red chiffon blouse she had on. I couldn't see her skirt and shoes from where i was seated but i was convinced they would fit like every other thing did. "Yeah she's beautiful" I replied Ebuka smiling sheepishly.

I looked away from her, focusing my gaze on her siblings seated next to her. Ken was yawning when my eyes met him. He wore a black jacket on his magenta coloured shirt which was tucked into his trousers--He looked dapper. He was tall, i
could tell from his long legs and limbs though he was seating down. He looked in my direction and our eyes met. He moved his lower lip down and his chin went up letting out a smile. I smiled back in his direction and muttered "Hello" since i knew he wouldn't hear me even if i spoke out loud because the choir were having their ministration and the beats were loud. He winked at me and smiled again, this time, revealing his dentition, then he looked away.

"What did you say?" Ebuka inquired looking straight into my eyes.

"I didn't say anything"

"Well, i just heard you mumbling"

"Bro, i wasn't talking to you" i said, trying to end his questioning.

"Who were you talking to then? There's no one here but me"

"Nobody!" i replied franctically

"Don't tell me you've started losing it because you saw a beautiful lady" Ebuka said, laughing hysterically.

Majority of the congregation turned towards our direction. The loud laughter of Ebuka had gotten their attention. I looked at her, trying to find out if she also gaped at us. Her gaze was still focused on the choir who wore their signature Pink shirts and black pants as they sang Halleluyah. I was relieved. Ebuka had a way of always drawing unneccesary attention to himself. The other time, he was called out by the Pastor for sleeping while the message was on. I wonder why i still stick to him when he's always noticed for the wrong reasons.

Finally, the service was coming to a close. I couldn't wait to talk to her. The closing prayer was taking too long. I headed towards the exit of the cathedral immediately i saw her leave. She was heading towards the parsonage. I followed after her wondering why she didn't wait for the service to end.

"Hi" i said smiling

"Good afternoon"

"Good afernoon, i'm George. George Kalu"

"Okay. I'm Providence."

"Wow, you've got such a nice name. I haven't seen you before. Are you new here?" i said, pretending not to know she was the new Pastor's daughter.

"Yeah. I'm Pastor Mark's daughter"

"Oh! I never knew. Okay, I was wondering why you left before the close of church"

"Oh! That. I have to use the toilet."

"Okay. You should go now. To avoid... "

She laughed and left me standing there.
I turned around and walked briskly towards the cathedral. The service was over. I joined my family and we all went home.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Three Little Words by yorhmienerd(m): 8:22pm On Oct 04, 2016
Let me hang around. Nice start, kwantinue

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by daremiarchs(m): 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2016
second seat taken....
Re: Those Three Little Words by Rasmodox101(m): 10:33pm On Oct 04, 2016
Bring it on mehn. . . . .
Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 12:06pm On Oct 05, 2016
CHAPTER TWO

"George! George!!" Mama bawled at me "Day neva break for your eye? You no dey go school?" She picked the bowl of water i had used in dipping my feets while i read my books last night. She sprinkled water on my face as though she was watering a plant. "Get up!" she said. The cool morning breeze that was coming through the window made me want to sleep more. I took my head off my pillow, looked at the clock, then at mama. The clock was striking 8. I rested my head on the pillow again and tried to continue sleeping. Mama became furious. She stormed out of my room. I yawned, then i stretched my legs and hands. Mama came inside my room again, this time, with Papa. Papa had a cain in his right hand. A big chewing stick hung from his mouth as if it was about to fall. He tied an old faded wrapper around his waist. He was bare chested. I got up from my bed immediately i saw Papa.

"Papa Good morning sir" i said scratching my head

"Why are you still in bed by this time? Did you not hear your mother call you?" He lashed out at me.

"I didn't hear her sir. I just woke up now"

"Shut up!" Mama cut in "No be you get up look me finish lie down again?"

"Now, go and prepare for school!" Papa shouted at me while he explored my room. "See how dirty your room is" he said shaking his head.

"Papa, today is the first day at school. We wouldn't be taught anything. We'd just go for clean up" i said grudgingly.

"Will you leave this place before i lose my temper?!" This time, Papa's eyes were bloodshot.

I hastily headed towards the kitchen to get my tooth brush. Papa was a strict disciplinarian. He had a "hot temper" as Mama would always say. The other time, he knocked out Chidera's teeth for refusing to do the dishes. Mama had a way of getting him to make us do things she couldn't make us do.

I walked towards the gutter with a cup of water in my hand and my toothbrush in my mouth. In no time, i was done washing my mouth. "You've gone to brush nonsense abi" Chidera said to me laughing. "Hush! You don't have respect ba?" i replied him with a stern look on my face.

I rushed to the bathroom. The door squeaked loudly as i opened it. I went in. I sang boring songs -as Chidera calls them- as i scrubbed my body with the native sponge Mama said was the best for us.

The time was 8:23. I tucked in my white long-sleeved shirt into my wine coloured trousers. I couldn't find my socks so i wore my shoes without any socks. Chidera was already ready. He was waiting for me outside. I grabbed my bag and swung in to my shoulders.

The day is bright
it's bright and fair
Oh happy day
The day of Joy.
The day is bright
it's bright and fair
Oh happy day of Joy

We could hear the students singing as they marched in. We were late again. Chidera started running towards the school gate. I was now in SS3. I wasn't going to run anymore. I walked stylishly like those models i watched on tv did on the run way. "George!" i turned around. It was Niyi. He was my classmate. He was also a regular late comer just like me. I stood there waiting for him.

"Hey what's up" i said as he got close to me.

"Bro, i'm okay. How was your holiday"

"Boring. How was yours?"

"Mine was quite okay" He said as we got closer to the school gate.

"The both of you have started this new session with you regular late coming" Teacher Musa said harshly as we entered the school building. "Kneel down" He yelled. Teacher musa was the most unfriendly of all the teachers we had at Noble college. "Stretch out your hand!" He said. He flogged Niyi six times.

Just when he was about flogging me the seventh time, i saw Providence and her Dad walk through the gate. Her eyes locked with mine. She looked surprise as she walked away with her Dad. "Sir, you flogged Niyi just six times. Why do you want to cane me again?" I inquired. "You're not putting on socks" He said flogging me on my legs. "Now go to your classroom!"

I walked to the second floor of the three-storey building wondering what Providence was doing in my school.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 12:48pm On Oct 05, 2016
Bibijay123

Veekid

Jay542

Girl360

Peachyp

Mhiz

Anugod

Johnwizey

yorhmienerd

Please rate and advise cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Those Three Little Words by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 05, 2016
looks interesting. Hope the updates would be regular smiley
Re: Those Three Little Words by veekid(m): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2016
IntrovertedHuman:
Bibijay123

Veekid

Jay542

Girl360

Peachyp

Mhiz

Anugod

Johnwizey

yorhmienerd

You tried bro; e no easy to write; more juice to wherever you're getting the inspiration from
Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 1:42pm On Oct 05, 2016
mhiz:
looks interesting. Hope the updates would be regular smiley

i'd try.. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 1:44pm On Oct 05, 2016
veekid:

You tried bro; e no easy to write; more juice to wherever you're getting the inspiration from

Thanks bro.
Re: Those Three Little Words by PeachyP(f): 1:46pm On Oct 05, 2016
Seems nice, following smiley

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by bibijay123(f): 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2016
IntrovertedHuman:
Bibijay123

Veekid

Jay542

Girl360

Peachyp

Mhiz

Anugod

Johnwizey

yorhmienerd

Awww you took me back to secondary sch days grin I so love this story. Thanks for the mention, following now.

2 Likes

Re: Those Three Little Words by Anugod(f): 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2016
Wow, following steadfastly. I can soo relate grin grin

Please don't starve us with updates o

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by yorhmienerd(m): 3:37pm On Oct 05, 2016
Cool

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by Jay542(m): 3:52pm On Oct 05, 2016
I can so relate to this.grin Nice One bro. Make the Updates very regular biko. Na to dey frequent here be thatsmiley

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by XtremelyCoded(m): 7:05pm On Oct 05, 2016
Nice... I'm following

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by Girl360(f): 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2016
Definitely following
Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 12:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
CHAPTER THREE

Gbagaun! Gbagaun!! Gbagaun!!! The bell for long break went off. We had just finished our Further mathematics class. Teacher Dele taught us integration.

"George, you understand am ba?" Paul asked.

"You dey whine me? I don't understand anything."

"Me too i don't even understand. We just resumed today and this man brought this kind of thing." He said looking disturbed. "Who do you think understands it?"

"Paul, if you of all people do not understand, nobody can" i joked

"Abeg, leave that thing" Paul said walking away from my locker amidst laughter

Paul was the Senior prefect. He had always been the best student in our class from junior school. I had known Paul for six years now. He was the crush of almost all the girls in Noble college. Paul was an all rounder; He looked good, was of good character, He was very intelligent and had a charming body. He was the perfect student as Mr Wole-The principal-would always say.

I pushed my locker forward, got up from my sit and walked towards the exit of my classroom. "Kalu are you going to the canteen?" Ebuka asked. He wasn't done copying what was written on the Chalk board. "Yeah" i replied. "Please wait for me" He said. I rested against one of the lockers in the second row waiting for him. I shoved my hands into my pockets and stared at the chalk board trying to understand what was written on it. "I'm done. Let's go" Ebuka said as he got up from his sit.

Aunty esther give me One gala with one pure water!
Mama vero put rice 50, macaroni 20, one meat!
Aunty esther give me two sweets please!!
Aunty mary i want kpof-kpof 50 naira and Akara 30!!!

The noise in the canteen was too much. The canteen was situated in a row of outbuildings beside the school building. Inside, Verocina's mom sold food, Aunty esther sold small chops with sweets and Aunty mary sold fries. The canteen was always crowded when it was long break.

I looked around as i entered the canteen. I hadn't been there for the past two months. The walls had been repainted. They were no longer white; they were now wine coloured- matching our school uniforms. Aunty esther had moved from staying at the edge of the room to the middle. Mama vero and Aunty mary still maintained their position. I was surprised when i saw Ken sitting on one of the long benchs in the canteen eating out of a plate.

"Ebuka, see that boy" i said swinging my right hand around ebuka's neck and pointing to Ken's direction with my left.

"Which boy?" He inquired

"The boy on mofty"

"Who is he?"

"Didn't you see him in church yesterday? He's the new Pastor's son"

"Ah! What's he doing here?"

"I don't know. I saw his sister this morning too"
Ebuka inclined his head.

"You mean that fine girl came to this school?"

"Yes" I said sounding anything but surprised.

We both walked to where Ken was seated. He was so into his food he didn't notice us standing in front of him. "Hey. Good morning" i coughed and cleared my throat. Ken look up. "Good morning" he said. "Oh! It's you from yesterday." He adjusted his sitting position looking excited. "Please sit down". I sat down smiling.

Ebuka stood there staring at him.
"What about me?" Ebuka whispered

"Is he with you?" Ken inquired looking my way

"Yeah. Didn't you see him in church? He was sitted next to me"

"No i didn't" His voice cracked "Please join him and sit"

Ebuka sat down as he unbuttoned some buttons on his shirt. "What's your name?" Ebuka asked staring at Ken

"I'm Ken. What about you both?" Ken replied stealing a glance at me

"I'm Ebuka and this is George."

"Okay, i just registered into SS3 today. What class are you guys in?"

"We're also in Ss3. Sciences. You must be a commercial or Arts student" Ebuka said looking stunned

"Yeah. I'm a commercial student" Ken replied smiling.

"What about Providence?" i interrupted

"You know Providence?" Ken asked looking startled. He looked like one of those guys who didn't like seeing males around their sisters.

"Yeah. I spoke to her yesterday"

"Oh! She's also in SS3 but she's an art student"

"How? Who's older between you guys?"

"That" He laughed " We're twins" The bell for break over rang.

"Okay" i said. "The bell just went off. We'd see you around. Let's get something and head back to class." I and Ebuka stood up and headed towards Aunty esther's kiosk.

Ebuka chided me for not telling him i spoke to Providence as we walked back to our classroom.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by Anugod(f): 1:41pm On Oct 06, 2016
Wow, lovely kiss
Please morrrrrreeeeee op grin cheesy

Still I read cool

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by Despirado121(m): 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2016
Looks promising, make i follow sharply bt oga, abeg make sure u complete d tori o coz i don read so many uncompleted tori on NL which is very unpleasant,.
Another importnt tin b say make una no dey starve us of update o....
Quietly waitin 4 d nxt update

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by IntrovertedHuman(m): 7:02pm On Oct 06, 2016
Despirado121:
Looks promising, make i follow sharply bt oga, abeg make sure u complete d tori o coz i don read so many uncompleted tori on NL which is very unpleasant,.
Another importnt tin b say make una no dey starve us of update o....
Quietly waitin 4 d nxt update

Lol. I'd try. Just pray the muse doesn't leave me.

1 Like

Re: Those Three Little Words by Domance: 10:48am On Oct 07, 2016
Following, good beginning.
Re: Those Three Little Words by PeachyP(f): 3:06am On Oct 08, 2016
I'm feeling nostalgic cheesy
Well done Op smiley
Re: Those Three Little Words by Pseudonymous: 8:59am On Oct 17, 2016
Op where are you now? You've gotten my interest.
Come and continue. smiley

(1) (Reply)

My Cute Bro Who Always Wanted To Be A Modelling Artist (photos) / Daughter Of A Beggar [ Completed ] / Heavenly Journeys In The Heavenly Realms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.