Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Advice Needed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed (1349 Views)

Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change / Honda Pilot Advice Needed / I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 1:26am On Oct 06, 2016
Am about buying my ist car from a friend,the car which happens to be a 1999 Toyota Camry Xls was used by his wife and now he intend to sell it,cheap to me because of these current recession and he needs money for his needs,
I came to seek advice from car gurus in the house if I should go ahead with the purchase of the car,because the car drives well,and no sound and the Ac works well.
now the car will be needing some body works as there are some dents here and there and the leather will need refolding.
my fear is on the dashboard there is a check engine light which I know doesn't affect the car because thats same light has also been in our family Camry for years now and still the car is good and drives smothly...
Buh I noticed an o/d off light too,and don't know what that one means because it's not in our Camry,so I want expert in the house to help me check if it's a problem before I go ahead with the purchase....
note these will be my first car....
and like I said it drives smothly on the highway.

Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 1:28am On Oct 06, 2016
The o/d off light is the one showing under that gear line up selection
that's the dash wen engine is running...
Re: Advice Needed by Nobody: 1:41am On Oct 06, 2016
On the documentation aspects after having concluded on purchasing it, ensure you collect all original documents including allocation of registration no, prove of ownership certificate, current vehicle license and reciept of purchase. With all this you will be able to process your change of ownership and re registration of already registered vehicle which comes with your new no plate and all documents in your name.

For further details u can contact me through my contact on my signature.
Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 1:50am On Oct 06, 2016
achalugonata:
On the documentation aspects after having concluded on purchasing it, ensure you collect all original documents including allocation of registration no, prove of ownership certificate, current vehicle license and reciept of purchase. With all this you will be able to process your change of ownership and re registration of already registered vehicle which comes with your new no plate and all documents in your name.

For further details u can contact me through my contact on my signature.
wow nice and how much can that take,want to have a slight knowledge of it
Re: Advice Needed by sultaan(m): 3:45am On Oct 06, 2016
Did anyone notice the thermometer reading?

Maybe I am just paranoid and the check engine light means nothing ba

well done

OD light is that button with O/D written on it on the transmission shifter press it and the od light will go out , default setting on your transmission is od on, that way it will shift from gear 1 to 5, but with od off it will only shift from gear 1-3 so if you are driving 120kmph your car will stay in gear 3 that could explain why your friend want to sell.

If you don't mention this to your friend he will remain your friend after the deal grin press the button on your camry too and that light will come on

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 9:17am On Oct 06, 2016
sultaan:
Did anyone notice the thermometer reading?

Maybe I am just paranoid and the check engine light means nothing ba

well done

OD light is that button with O/D written on it on the transmission shifter press it and the od light will go out , default setting on your transmission is od on, that way it will shift from gear 1 to 5, but with od off it will only shift from gear 1-3 so if you are driving 120kmph your car will stay in gear 3 that could explain why your friend want to sell.

If you don't mention this to your friend he will remain your friend after the deal grin press the button on your camry too and that light will come on
thanks buh ur words aren't straight though
"if u don't mention this to ur friend,he will remain ur friend"...
concerning the themometer I will check back and confirm if the car has overheating issue
Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 9:27am On Oct 06, 2016
Lexusgs:

Is the engine overheating, or the fuel gauge has been swapped with the engine temperature gauge?
thanks for ur observations I will check about the overheating issue u mentioned and get back to the thread...
Re: Advice Needed by Lexusgs430: 9:35am On Oct 06, 2016
xplicite:

thanks for ur observations I will check about the overheating issue u mentioned and get back to the thread...

Ok. We are waiting............

Re: Advice Needed by honmusa(m): 10:50am On Oct 06, 2016
xplicite:
Am about buying my ist car from a friend,the car which happens to be a 1999 Toyota Camry Xls was used by his wife and now he intend to sell it,cheap to me because of these current recession and he needs money for his needs,
I came to seek advice from car gurus in the house if I should go ahead with the purchase of the car,because the car drives well,and no sound and the Ac works well.
now the car will be needing some body works as there are some dents here and there and the leather will need refolding.
my fear is on the dashboard there is a check engine light which I know doesn't affect the car because thats same light has also been in our family Camry for years now and still the car is good and drives smothly...
Buh I noticed an o/d off light too,and don't know what that one means because it's not in our Camry,so I want expert in the house to help me check if it's a problem before I go ahead with the purchase....
If you are serious about buying the car and you don't want issue ,it not about showing sharing pix of the engine and instrument cluster for forum member to decide if the ride is good or not unless then be winch!!!.Get a professional to check the car physically and this goes beyond scanning ,check the engine for compression ,engine noise ,check the transmission and and the electrical system for issues before committing your money
Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2016
honmusa:

If you are serious about buying the car and you don't want issue ,it not about showing sharing pix of the engine and instrument cluster for forum member to decide if the ride is good or not unless then be winch!!!.Get a professional to check the car physically and this goes beyond scanning ,check the engine for compression ,engine noise ,check the transmission and and the electrical system for issues before committing your money

thankyou sir
Re: Advice Needed by nurey(m): 9:02pm On Oct 06, 2016
You don't want to buy a car that overheats, fan run direct to be used in Lagos, you can still use it in other states Sha.

The day the fan fuse will stop working and you didn't notice the temp Guage immediately and if you lucky to blow radiator pipe, that is still good but if your gasket gives way in no man's land, you will hate anything car that day. Been there done that
Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 8:50am On Oct 10, 2016
The bosses in the house I greet u all

I was with te car yesterday as I took it for a ride and like I said the engine is ok soundwise.
secondly I noticed that the car don't overheat all through wen I used it,but if what I noticed from the instrument cluster The Temperature cluster rises immediately u on the ignition....so I don't know what causes that problem but despite that the car isn't overheating...

lastly I noticed something when I was driving yesterday the fuel was on at half thank,after all the waka wey man do,when it went down from half tank,the car started moving slowly even wen u fire it's not moving fast,I called the owner and he said that's hw it does wants the fuel start getting low,but I should keep using it so I was very surprised

please house I brought these issue here for u people to help me out in making these choice,and the possible solution to these car problem because actually the owner wants to sell it cheap he has a little issue now,that's why he is selling and the price is
too good....for a 1998 camry
Re: Advice Needed by honmusa(m): 9:56am On Oct 10, 2016
xplicite:

I was with te car yesterday as I took it for a ride and like I said the engine is ok soundwise.
secondly I noticed that the car don't overheat all through wen I used it,but if what I noticed from the instrument cluster The Temperature cluster rises immediately u on the ignition....so I don't know what causes that problem but despite that the car isn't overheating...

lastly I noticed something when I was driving yesterday the fuel was on at half thank,after all the waka wey man do,when it went down from half tank,the car started moving slowly even wen u fire it's not moving fast,I called the owner and he said that's hw it does wants the fuel start getting low,but I should keep using it so I was very surprised

please house I brought these issue here for u people to help me out in making these choice,and the possible solution to these car problem because actually the owner wants to sell it cheap he has a little issue now,that's why he is selling and the price is
Budget 100k for repair(cos there is still issues u are nt awared yet) and subtract from the price the seller is offering it and if u still have a good deal ,u can still go ahead to buy it .
Alternatively if you are in Lagos,call autologic @08061166316 for full comprehensive inspection of the car.
After the inspection ,we give you a full report about the the issues to be resolved and the true worth of the car.
Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 10:01am On Oct 10, 2016
honmusa:

Budget 100k for repair(cos there is still issues u are nt awared yet) and subtract from the price the seller is offering it and if u still have a good deal ,u can still go ahead to buy it .
Alternatively if you are in Lagos,call autologic @08061166316 for full comprehensive inspection of the car.
After the inspection ,we give you a full report about the the issues to be resolved and the true worth of the car.
that's the problem am not in Lagos were we have competent mech
buh am in ph
Re: Advice Needed by divinelove(m): 10:53am On Oct 10, 2016
xplicite:

First of all you shld tell us hw much he is selling d car BC cheap is a relative word. D cost of d car is a major deciding factor BC everything in a car (esp a Toyota whose parts are cheap n readily available) can be fixed but only costs money undecided

O/D off light is not an issue, CEL is a minor issue to decline purchasing a car, I ve driven with CEL for over 4 yrs it doesn't affect anything as far as my car is concerned undecided

Toyota Camry 1998 is one of d best recommended car for a first timer along side d corollas, make sure it's nt more than 2.0l I4.

Finally there might be alot you won't notice no matter hw hard u look d4 pay a good mechanic to inspect d car for u b4 u pay.

Goodluck
Re: Advice Needed by xplicite(m): 11:44am On Oct 10, 2016
divinelove:

First of all you shld tell us hw much he is selling d car BC cheap is a relative word. D cost of d car is a major deciding factor BC everything in a car (esp a Toyota whose parts are cheap n readily available) can be fixed but only costs money undecided

O/D off light is not an issue, CEL is a minor issue to decline purchasing a car, I ve driven with CEL for over 4 yrs it doesn't affect anything as far as my car is concerned undecided

Toyota Camry 1998 is one of d best recommended car for a first timer along side d corollas, make sure it's nt more than 2.0l I4.

Finally there might be alot you won't notice no matter hw hard u look d4 pay a good mechanic to inspect d car for u b4 u pay.

Goodluck
ok cheap I know he is a family friend and is telling me to give him 300k
Re: Advice Needed by nurey(m): 11:27pm On Oct 10, 2016
xplicite:

the bolded is a bad gasket. but to really confirm,
1. at cold start remove the radiator cap start engine, if bubble is notice, the gasket is bad
2. remove radiator cap at cold engine, dont start engine, take a spanner and rotating the fan belt pulley, if bubble is noticed gasket is bad
3. check the exhaust, if engine is smoking, gasket is bad
4. check engine oil dipstick, if its milky gasket is bad

now at cold start, if the two fans are rolling, it was done to suppress the overheating issues. test car in traffic, that is where the overheating issues tends to start showing their symptoms. if all this symptoms were not noticed, then instrument cluster is bad.

also remember to tell the seller to also transfer mechanic ownership to you, because am certain that car is a lab rat to a certified Phd kazeem.
Re: Advice Needed by diportivo: 7:04am On Oct 11, 2016
divinelove:

Pls Sir

For a first timer like me,how do I make sure a 1998 Camry is not more than 2.0L I4?

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed by divinelove(m): 7:15am On Oct 11, 2016
diportivo:

Pls Sir

For a first timer like me,how do I make sure a 1998 Camry is not more than 2.0L I4?

Look at d badge at d back if it is badged 2.2l v6 (or d engine might carry v6 inscription) it will gulp more fuel
Re: Advice Needed by diportivo: 7:27am On Oct 11, 2016
divinelove:

Look at d badge at d back if it is badged 2.2l v6 (or d engine might carry v6 inscription) it will gulp more fuel

Nurey

Come and learn with me pls

You wey no sabi anything.....see beta teacher for here grin
Re: Advice Needed by divinelove(m): 7:45am On Oct 11, 2016
diportivo:

Nurey

Come and learn with me pls

You wey no sabi anything.....see beta teacher for here grin

U carry me dey play ba

grin jst a little mix up op make sure it's not above 2.2l I4 ie leave d 3.0l v6

Re: Advice Needed by diportivo: 7:55am On Oct 11, 2016
divinelove:

U carry me dey play ba

grin jst a little mix up op make sure it's not above 2.2l I4 ie leave d 3.0l v6

What is wrong with the 3.0L V6
Re: Advice Needed by divinelove(m): 8:11am On Oct 11, 2016
diportivo:

What is wrong with the 3.0L V6

2.2l I4 has better fuel economy dts all which is impt nw dt fuel is @ 145
Re: Advice Needed by nurey(m): 8:58am On Oct 11, 2016
divinelove:

2.2l I4 has better fuel economy dts all which is impt nw dt fuel is @ 145

1. The easiest way to identify the cylinder of a car is to count the exhaust manifold leaving the engine. A car that has used 5 years in Nigeria would probably have lost its engine cover where the engine type and litre would be inscribed except if it's engraved on the engine.

2. Don't use inscription on the boot to know what type, that can easily be manipulated besides I doubt if you will still find it there on the boot it would have been lost due to Nigerian factor.

3. All engines have their pros and cons. An i4 Camry has better fuel economy than a V6 but don't generalize it. A v6 sedan may have a better fuel economy than an i4 cuv, a V6 diesel/hybrid can have a better fuel economy than an I4 petrol.

4. When buying a car, you don't just consider fuel economy alone, there are other factors, why buy a fuel economy car that can't do well in an area you are living because of the bad roads. Or why buy 4 cylinder engine when you mostly drive through highways.

(1) (Reply)

See This Crazy Car Fight: Benz ML Vs Benz G63 AMG (video) / LEXUS ES 300 2002 / Race Track Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.