Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East (3360 Views)

Is Tinubu The Richest Politician In Africa? / Who Is The Most Powerful Female Politician In Nigeria? / You Are Respected Worldwide, Ban Ki-moon To Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
Why is it that there is no single individual in south east who is widely respected across the state divide in south east unlike in the south west were Tinubu is a strongman and northern Nigeria were Buhari is a strong man irrespective of your state..more esp I used to think Buhari was from Kano because of the massive support and 'Said' baba chanter which in started from there...
But in south east it seems no politician is respected beyond his state.
I would have thought about ogbonnaya onu but don't really think he's popular outside Ebonyi state.
Why is this so?? And then is it an advantage or a disadvantage to the political advancement of a region??
CD lalasticlala mynd44

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by rowanMama(f): 12:43pm On Oct 08, 2016

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 12:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
rowanMama:
Because ndigbo believe everyone is a king/strongman of his own home.

Ever heard 'igbo enwero eze'?

I may be wrong tho bt that's my opiniõn.
Then is it a kind of advantage or a disadvantage to ndiigbo considering the kind of country we are in

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by mazifrankmore: 12:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
We have men like peter Obi,ekwueme etc whom we respect but can never worship like how yerubas worship looter like tinubu who misled them into voting and incompetent dullard into power.

Igbo man believe in himself first before any leader and daz why we excel.
#wearerepublicans

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by biaframustcome: 12:51pm On Oct 08, 2016
grin
Good question, abeg modify the title of the thread, there is a typo there.
Now back to your question. Every Igboman is capable of leadership. We are republican by nature.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by idensko(m): 12:53pm On Oct 08, 2016
Dre re many
We just don't worship them like you folks

Rather we have respects 4 technocrats

Like Soludo, NOI, PETER OBI, TONY ELUMELU, LATE AKUNYILI, nad many more
Infact there is hardly a VILLAGE in the east without Technocrats who are directly or indirectly impacting on the lives of dre pple

then the freedom fighters
UWAZURUIKE, NNAMDI NKANU and many more Fighters to come.

Let me Educate you about an average IGBO MAN ideology,

"As long as u re not his direct benefactor, be you billionaiere, he gives no poo about you"

D only reason you think Tinubu is powerful is because d SW worship him,
M sure u can spot d difference now that it's National politics...

Comprehehnde?

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by CHIJIOKE1314: 12:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
Foolishness made you see Tinubu in a light he himself couldn't even comprehend..

Ndigbo won't allow you deceive them for a long time..
It might click for you in the first year but, all the record you presented would be on your desk for defence in the second year..

I wonder what Tinubu did that we still have people dying of poverty in the SW likewise in every part of this damn contraption called Nigeria..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 12:58pm On Oct 08, 2016
[quote author=biaframustcome post=50023567] grin
Now back to your question. Every Igboman is capable of leadership. We are republican by nature
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 12:59pm On Oct 08, 2016
biaframustcome:
grin
Now back to your question. Every Igboman is capable of leadership. We are republican by nature.
Can you please help me point out the error??

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by sekundosekundo: 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2016
Igbos are wise men from East.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 1:02pm On Oct 08, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
Foolishness made you see Tinubu in a light he himself couldn't even comprehend..

Ndigbo won't allow you deceive them for a long time..
It might click for you in the first year but, all the record you presented would be on your desk for defence in the second year..

I wonder what Tinubu did that we still have people dying of poverty in the SW likewise in every part of this damn contraption called Nigeria..
Dude seems you don't get the essence of this thread...mind u this thread is not for real life frustrated follks who get orgasm from spewing hate online..

What I meant was whether is of more an adavantag or disadvantage to a region

6 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Ojiofor: 1:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
Ndigbo will support a true leader when the time comes but not the likes of Okorocha and other thieving political charlatans in helm of affairs in SE today.
Btw if thieffinubu was from SE he may not even be an ordinary governor talkless of being an Igbo leader as for BUBU, hahahahahahahahahaha nothing for him.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 1:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
idensko:
Dre re many

Infact there is hardly a VILLAGE in the east without Technocrats who are directly or indirectly impacting on the lives of dre pple

Then how does it benefit the political advancement of the igbo within the confince of present Nigerian politics when there is no one such individual who could pull a crowd across state divide

"As long as u re not his direct benefactor, be you billionaiere, he gives no poo about you"

Comprehehnde?
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 1:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
idensko:
Dre re many

Then how does it benefit the political advancement of the igbo within the confince of present Nigerian politics when there is no one such individual who could pull a crowd across state divide

Comprehehnde?

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by EnuguDadImoMom: 1:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
The answer is simple- Republic. It has been like that since precolonial era. We respect and don't worship individuals.

9 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by biaframustcome: 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Can you please help me point out the error??

OK free correction. The topic should read

"Why Is There No Respected Regional Politician In South East"

Basic principle of most language is "don't waste words"

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Amberon: 1:52pm On Oct 08, 2016
Stop patronizing yourself. For Ndigbo to be president, they would need a highly revered candidate that is popular not just among igbos but also among every tribe in Nigeria. I have seen none presently and even Okorocha that was a bit popular is hated by most ndigbo. For ndigbo to rule, this has to change.

Also, I haven't seen any Igbo politician who is gearing himself up for 2019,elections. People accuse Ben Bruce of being a talkative but he's playing his cards right. By being controversial and speaking up on most issues, he is making himself more popular and more people would consider voting for him if he decides for presidency.

I personally would love an Igbo president even tho I'm not Igbo.
mazifrankmore:
We have men like peter Obi,ekwueme etc whom we respect but can never worship like how yerubas worship looter like tinubu who misled them into voting and incompetent dullard into power.

Igbo man believe in himself first before any leader and daz why we excel.
#wearerepublicans

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:02pm On Oct 08, 2016
rowanMama:

'Igbo enwe eze' died long ago

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:07pm On Oct 08, 2016
The answer is local politics.
How local is politics in the core eastern states.
You just have some money bags/criminals reeling out cash to touts and compromised elders .
How many wards have party youth leaders anymore.
Politics in the south east is for who can buy more.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by holocron: 2:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

'Igbo enwe eze' died long ago

Its still very much alive, fortunately or not.

The igbos are a people who in prehistory, experienced the tyranny and injustice of kingship, and have rejected it in favour of republicanism in the best traditions of ancient greek democracy. Hence the saying you quote. To go back to kingship again would be tantamount to a regression.

10 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Abagworo(m): 2:31pm On Oct 08, 2016
rowanMama:

You're right. In Igboland everyone has an opinion and people listen to whosoever has the best at the moment. Respect comes more from achievement than from birth. IMHO it is a very good thing.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Abagworo(m): 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
Proudlyngwa:
The answer is local politics.
How local is politics in the core eastern states.
You just have some money bags/criminals reeling out cash to touts and compromised elders .
How many wards have party youth leaders anymore.
Politics in the south east is for who can buy more.

More like a Nigerian problem than Igbo problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
holocron:

Its still very much alive, fortunately or not.

The igbos are a people who in prehistory, experienced the tyranny and injustice of kingship, and have rejected it in favour of republicanism in the best traditions of ancient greek democracy. Hence the saying you quote. To go back to kingship again would be tantamount to a regression.
Igbo enwe Eze
Are we talking of the institution or the ideology, then we can know how to relate.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 08, 2016
We don't believe in our useless leaders.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Proudlyngwa(m): 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
Abagworo:

More like a Nigerian problem than Igbo problem.
More like a Nigerian problem, but severe in the core Igbo states
Igbo's these days are more centralised in localities , those at home are usually looked down on. Party participation only comes up during elections, when state most have mobilised.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Nossa(m): 3:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
murphyibiam15:
Why is it that there is no single individual in south east who is widely respected across the state divide in south east unlike in the south west were Tinubu is a strongman and northern Nigeria were Buhari is a strong man irrespective of your state..more esp I used to think Buhari was from Kano because of the massive support and 'Said' baba chanter which in started from there...
But in south east it seems no politician is respected beyond his state.
I would have thought about ogbonnaya onu but don't really think he's popular outside Ebonyi state.
Why is this so?? And then is it an advantage or a disadvantage to the political advancement of a region??
CD lalasriclala mynd44

My brother, "igbo enweghi eze".
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by HopeAtHand: 3:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
IMO, in the SE (and SS states) the idea of statehood has eaten deep to the extent that an Imo politician is considered as being only relevant in his state of origin. He isnt expected or allowed to spread his tentacles outside his hime state else he wil be met with suspicion and resentment.

I take it as either an issue of baseless pride or the inability to see beyond ones nostril. In either case, it is myopic as the Yorubas and Hausa/fulani regard themselves as one constituent unit regardless of state of Origin.

cc: Igboid aka pazienza.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Igboid: 3:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
Well, it's a complex issue. No one single answer to it. But we can all agree that it's deeply rooted on the clannish nature of an Igbo man.

His first allegiance is to his immediate family, his extended family, village, town,clan, state, and then ethnic group.
He doesn't believe anyone else can take care of his family, village, town, state, ethnic group, more than himself, his family members, his town members, his state members, his clan members, his ethnic group members, as the case may be.

It breeds a sense of suspicion in him. Only a transparent, selfless,non parochial minded individual can assuage his suspicion, to enable him place the welfare of his family, village, town, clan, ethnic group, on the hands of person's not members of those units.

Since the end of the civil war, Ndiigbo had struggled to produce a selfless, non parochial leader. Hence the reason it has become impossible to produce a pan Igbo leader.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
The people of south south/southeast are Democratic in nature. The Yorubas and the Hausas are autocratic in nature. POL 101
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Igboid: 4:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
Take Okpara for example, he was a respected Igbo leader across all boards.

He was selfless. For all he spent in government, Okpara lived a decent man, he was never a rich man, go to his place in Afugiri Ohuhu Umuahia, he left no loot for his children, he depended only on his salary, his driving force was only how to place the Eastern region on high pedestal, can we say the same Of any of our current politicians? They are all selfish, only looking out for the interest of themselves and their immediate family.

Azikiwe another respected Igbo leader. He built the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, modern day Igbo politician would rather build such in his immediate town or Local government. Ike Nwachukwu took ABSU to Uturu, Chimaroke took ESUT to his Agbani hometown, and was instrumental in the building of Nigerian law school in Agbani. Ngige was plotting on how to bring a campus of ANSU to his hometown Alor before he was removed. Sam Egwu built the New EBSU permanent site close to his Ezza ngbo home town.

A prominent SE senator diverted the money meant for Enugu-PH express road to constituency project fund and used it to build inner lesser used roads in his Aninri/ Awgu area. The rest of us that are not from his area should go and die.

This is the big issue. Every one only care about his area. No one looks after "our area", yet they expect to be "our leader" and not the leader of their respective mushroom units. If I leave my state and support you, knowing that you would divert any project meant for us to your own people, I can never take you as my leader, you can only become a leader of your own people.

So, this is the issue. Until a leader who would put the welfare of the next Igbo man at same level as his , the welfare of the next village same as his, who will put the welfare of the next Igbo speaking town, clan, state, region, at same level as his, there will never be an Igbo leader.
They will all remain leaders of their respective families, villages, towns, states, etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 4:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
biaframustcome:

OK free correction. The topic should read

"Why Is There No Respected Regional Politician In South East"

Basic principle of most language is "don't waste words"

Okay thanks
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 4:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
Abagworo:

You're right. In Igboland everyone has an opinion and people listen to whosoever has the best at the moment. Respect comes more from achievement than from birth. IMHO it is a very good thing.
How is it a good thing when no singular politician is popular outside his local government.. So how will people rally such unpopular men to win any presidential election

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Food Should I Eat To Increase My Sperm - Advice Needed / Buhari Caused The Recession, Not Low Oil Price.- Dr. Okonjo-iweala / FINALLY BENUE DECIDES. Akume In His Zone Has Been Defeated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.