Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,041 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

12 Vital Tips For CG Artists - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists (1456 Views)

Female Artists Staring At A Nude Man Standing In Front Of Them (Photos) / Whatsapp Group Chat For (digital, Comic And Creative Artists) / Any CG Artist Around Benin City, Delta, Anambra And Enugu State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by Donald3d(m): 1:19pm On Oct 08, 2016

Image Credit : Anisiuba Uche

Here is are some quick tips especially for beginners in CG and professional alike .Enjoy ,learn and apply.

BACK UP !!! BACK UP !!!

Backing up your designs and your files is something that can not be over emphasized.What do i mean? there was a time i lost files that included designs that dated back to 4 years before that time (4 years of hard work gone!!).I am still trying to recover from the shock.So please always backup your work ,always back up your designs and files ,it is very important.
In case you are wondering where and how you can back up, do one or all of the following(doing all is more advisable if you can) :
Back up on as many systems or computers as possible ,your friends laptop,your family members laptop as many safe computers as possible ,note the word safe.
Store your data in external data storage devices such as flash drives ,external hard-disks etc.
All the above can fail you ,computers can crash ,external hard disks can develop fault ,but your best bet should always be ONLINE STORAGE,yeah !!! this has been very useful to me so many times and the advantage of online storage is that you can access your files anywhere ,even if you don't have access to your computer.Some online storage services you can make use of are Goggle drive,Dropbox,etc

ALWAYS PLAN

Being a CG artists requires that you plan before executing a project ,whether it is just something you want to showcase or you are just practicing .You have to ask yourself questions like ,what do i want to design ?,what would it look like ? ,what colors would my design have ?, what tool/software am i going to make use of,what are the steps i will take.Asking yourself all this questions will help you save a lot of time when you actually start the design or animation on your computer,it is also advisable to answer all those questions(graphically) on paper, i mean make a rough sketch(on paper) of the what your final design would look like.Planning before designing helps save a lot of time ,so make sure you plan before you start that design.

DON'T STEAL

Stealing or showing off other peoples work as your own can be one of the most horrible things you can do as a designer. Put yourself in the person's shoes, how would you feel if your work is claimed by someone else after spending days working on the designs.Apart from moral reasons for not stealing other peoples designs it could also ruin your reputation as a designer ,your clients will loose trust in your design skills when they find out you have been showing off other people's work as your own ,it places a big tag on you -INCOMPETENT.

HAVE AN ONLINE PORTFOLIO

Having an online portfolio is one of the most important things a CG artist has to do regardless of your field in CG whether it is animation,graphic design, or modeling ,it does not matter you need an online portfolio-why ?.The world has evolved to a point where almost nothing can be done without the internet ,having an online portfolio is the best way for prospective clients to know your capabilities and your "strong points",it makes them have a feel of what you are good at before contacting you .So create an online portfolio now contact me here if you need help with a website.

ALWAYS USE THE RIGHT TOOLS

Using the right tools in CG is very important, and most CG artists always overlook this fact ,using the right/best tools will always save time and give you better results .Lets take this scenario for example,I want to design a brochure or book,and i have the following software on my laptop ,Adobe Photoshop,Indesign,Fireworks ,the fact is that all this software listed can actually be used to design a brochure ,but Indesign should be the chosen one because that was what it was built for and it has some tools that Photoshop and Fireworks does not have which will help you save time and give you better results.So always make your research and use the right/best tools for that CG project you are working on.

KEEP UP WITH THE PACE OF CLIENTS

Clients are like your life line as CG artists,even though you love what you do i am sure you will also want to make cash out of it ,so keeping your clients happy should be your priority.One thing that makes client unhappy the most is not delivering on time,or at the specified time .So always keep to the time stipulated by clients even if it means getting an extra helping hand or getting tools to quicken your work-flow.

DIVERSIFY

CG(Computer Graphics) is very broad with so many branches-animation,compositing,matte painting,graphic design and so on.So the fact that you are good in a particular aspect of CG does not mean you should not know some little things about other aspects .It helps you interact with CG artists from other fields without problems, take for example, you are part of a team working on an animated movie and you are an animator you will have to interact with so many other people such as modelers,texture artists ,riggers etc. So for ease of operation, it will be an added advantage if you know some little things or terminologies in the other CG fields.

YOU DON'T KNOW IT ALL !!!

The fact that you have so many years of experience using a software ,or you have so much experience in a particular field does not mean you should stop learning ,always get news on new industry standards ,tips and tricks,you never know there might be an easy way of performing certain tasks that takes you hours to finish when it can be done in minutes using another method.So don't stop learning.

KEEP PRACTICING

You just have to keep practicing no matter how good you are or claim to be.You have to keep improving on your skills ,as you do this you would notice that you will do and achieve more in less time.

LEARN AS MANY SOFTWARE AS POSSIBLE

Yeah i said it !!!! .Learn as many software as possible ,10 ,20 just keep going ,i tried it and it has being a life saver .It helps you save time, do some task faster,and get better results generally.And it also helps you solve a lot of integration problems easily.

(Do this wisely , its also good to concentrate your efforts depending on what you are working on).

BE RESILIENT

One of the mistakes i made when i just started out as a CG artist was that at times i gave up too easily ,learning CG or mastering CG (if you are not a learner) can be very frustrating at times, you will not always get the desired result on the first try,trust me i have been there ,no matter how perfect you claim to be at CG you just have to keep persisting .And if you are learner don't give up too easily, CG is fun !!!.You just have to keep moving forward ,don't give up,and if you have plans on learning CG ,START NOW and KMF(Keep Moving Forward).

ALWAYS USE THE RIGHT COMPUTER

This is very important ,choosing the right computer for CG can not be left out of this list it is very paramount ,i wrote an article on things you should consider before buying a computer for CG check it out here .

I hope i nailed it.Is there anything you thought i should have added ? get the comments rolling in.Don't forget to share

http://donald.com.ng/blog/technology/computer-graphics/12-vital-tips-cg-artist-animators/

Oga erad how far na ,Make our guys learn abeg
Prof800 you dey there ?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by 4kings: 7:37am On Oct 12, 2016
Thanks for the tips
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by Donald3d(m): 7:39am On Oct 12, 2016
4kings:
Thanks for the tips
you welcome bro
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by 4kings: 8:16am On Oct 12, 2016
Donald3d:
you welcome bro
Any advise on getting textures (for free wink )
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by Donald3d(m): 9:05am On Oct 12, 2016
4kings:

Any advise on getting textures (for free wink )
http://texturer.com/
Don't worry i am writing an article on that. wink
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by 4kings: 9:15am On Oct 12, 2016
Donald3d:

http://texturer.com/
Don't worry i am writing an article on that. wink
Thanks, i will be waiting for the article.
If possible could you include how to make them personally using corel-draw or other software alternatives. I only know how to make graffiti cry
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by Iyke123: 2:46pm On Oct 12, 2016
Donald3d:

Image Credit : Anisiuba Uche

Oga erad how far na ,Make our guys learn abeg
Prof800 you dey there ?

Nice article Donald, I must ask, are you a CG artist
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by Donald3d(m): 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
Iyke123:

Nice article Donald, I must ask, are you a CG artist
Yes i am

1 Like

Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by prof800(m): 10:45pm On Oct 12, 2016
Very insightful post.
Re: 12 Vital Tips For CG Artists by Donald3d(m): 11:52pm On Oct 12, 2016
prof800:
Very insightful post.
thanks

(1) (Reply)

My Ballpoint Pen Sketch Of President Muhammdu Buhari....... / Meet Nosa Pencil Art. Nigerian 17yr Old Hyper Realist / My Ballpoint Pen Sketch Of Linda Ikeji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.