Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. (923 Views)

I Am Nigerian By Nkiru Asika - A Beautiful Poem / Nigerian And Cameroonian Soldiers Conduct Joint Raid Against Boko Haram. Photos / Nigerian And Indian Firm Agree On Ajaokuta Steel Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Talk2Bella(f): 12:10am On Oct 09, 2016
Feminism in Nigeria is completely overrated and underrated, it is a conception that has been clearly misunderstood by people who do not know its true meaning, they believe feminism in Nigeria has to do with disobeying men or being stubborn towards one’s spouse you hear conversations like this,

Man1: she will remain single forever

Man2: her mates are getting married and she’s claiming to be a feminist

Man1: feminism cannot thrive in Nigeria, this is Africa and the men come first

Man2: will feminism keep her warm at night?

This is my first blog post on feminism so I will give a detailed description of feminism according to Wikipedia, and then I will state my own interpretation of feminism so you and I can comprehend what feminism is about.

According to Wikipedia, Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women that are equal to those of men. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment.

Why have women been looked down upon for so many years, you pay men higher, you regard men higher, you give men more rights than women and you expect silence forever, is it any surprise that most men claim to be feminist these days? The feminist movement is a growing one, and it keeps getting larger by the day.

My perception of feminism is about equal rights, equal rights to same pay, equal rights to same job opportunities, equal rights to same health facilities, equal rights regarding our cultures and traditions.

This is a continued movement, and this is my feminist first post, expect more from me, expect more from women, expect more from the world.

http://nigerianfeminism..com.ng/2016/10/i-am-nigerian-and-feminist.html

2 Likes

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by afanide: 12:14am On Oct 09, 2016
Oh sorry
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by tollyboy5(m): 12:35am On Oct 09, 2016
Lol u must be very funny we'll take women serious when they take themselves serious. An average nigerian lady is praying 4 a rich husband why cant they get rich themselves? If u ask a nigeria female sciense student "who is marie curie" they'll say i dont know but ask who is kis daniel they tell u he's their crush. Mtchew! They dont know who is world rhchest lady infact they dont care they keep praying to be wife of a govnor instead of trying to be govnor

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Talk2Bella(f): 1:01am On Oct 09, 2016
tollyboy5:
Lol u must be very funny we'll take women serious when they take themselves serious. An average nigerian lady is praying 4 a rich husband why cant they get rich themselves? If u ask a nigeria female sciense student "who is marie curie" they'll say i dont know but ask who is kis daniel they tell u he's their crush. Mtchew! They dont know who is world rhchest lady infact they dont care they keep praying to be wife of a govnor instead of trying to be govnor

:Some Nigerian Female Student" not all

1 Like

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by tollyboy5(m): 1:36am On Oct 09, 2016
Talk2Bella:

:Some Nigerian Female Student" not all
yes u are right not all but majority. U just do ur own observations, talk about reasonable topics like political issues etc. They would be looking like mooron they only know watsup on amebo gist. Some will even tell u "who forex epp, who politics epp"

1 Like

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Talk2Bella(f): 1:50am On Oct 09, 2016
tollyboy5:
yes u are right not all but majority. U just do ur own observations, talk about reasonable topics like political issues etc. They would be looking like mooron they only know watsup on amebo gist. Some will even tell u "who forex epp, who politics epp"

Meet the right ones grin you will realise Some men are learners when it comes to matters of politics

3 Likes

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by YouthAdvocator: 2:36am On Oct 09, 2016
It will be pretty hard for feminism to thrive in Nigeria.

Feminism will never thrive if:

-Majority of Nigerian girls prefer having guys foot the bills on a date.

- If Nigerian girls continue to aspire to be first ladies, instead of aspiring to become a Governor, Senator or President.

- Majority of Nigerian girls still affirm the Bible as the word to live by.

There are too numerous reasons why feminism won't work in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by tollyboy5(m): 3:44am On Oct 09, 2016
YouthAdvocator:
It will be pretty hard for feminism to thrive in Nigeria.

Feminism will never thrive if:

-Majority of Nigerian girls prefer having guys foot the bills on a date.

- If Nigerian girls continue to aspire to be first ladies, instead of aspiring to become a Governor, Senator or President.

- Majority of Nigerian girls still affirm the Bible as the word to live by.

There are too numerous reasons why feminism won't work in Nigeria.
u have talk it finish religion also has blindfolded many of them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Nobody: 3:50am On Oct 09, 2016
so you are a feminazi?
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
The most common argument against feminism on NL is "so are u gonna foot the bill on dates?!" "Can we go Dutch?" "Will we split the cost half and half?"

Comes off as a bit pathetic. Women don't dictate the terms to u, you're (I presume) the one asking to date them, no one is stopping u from telling them to pay for everything.
That is the least of the reasons feminism needs to exist, because Nigerian guys don't wanna pay for some chingum girl to gorge at KFC.

1 Like

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:19pm On Oct 09, 2016
MrsPhyno:
The most common argument against feminism on NL is "so are u gonna foot the bill on dates?!" "Can we go Dutch?" "Will we split the cost half and half?"

Comes off as a bit pathetic. Women don't dictate the terms to u, you're (I presume) the one asking to date them, no one is stopping u from telling them to pay for everything.
That is the least of the reasons feminism needs to exist, because Nigerian guys don't wanna pay for some chingum girl to gorge at KFC.

grin grin

Like I said on Twitter yesterday , Modern Feminism is progressing into misandry .

2 Likes

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

grin grin

Like I said on Twitter yesterday , Modern Feminism is progressing into misandry .
Don't soften the blow by adding "modern"

Don't worry, men have always thought so, since the word feminism was invented. Go study it tongue
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by ndcide(m): 3:28pm On Oct 09, 2016
Both the @op, and those wasting their time supporting her weak attempt to justify modern day foolishness are living in denial.

You want equality yet want concessions because of your gender.

1 Like

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by bennyann: 3:46pm On Oct 09, 2016
I'm in support of this but I'll totally support it if ladies starts paying 'groom price' just as men pay 'bride price'. Men also need equal rights in areas ladies are advantaged you know, since we're all fighting for equal rights.

1 Like

Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Justiceleague1: 4:03pm On Oct 09, 2016
Tis' be estharfabian.. grin
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Talk2Bella(f): 4:40pm On Oct 09, 2016
MrsPhyno:

It's only ignorant people who see feminism as only going Dutch if only they knew what feminism is about
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Talk2Bella(f): 4:42pm On Oct 09, 2016
ndcide:
Both the @op, and those wasting their time supporting her weak attempt to justify modern day foolishness are living in denial.

You want equality yet want concessions because of your gender.

But my "weak attempt" brought you here
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 09, 2016
wrong! undecided
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by babyfaceafrica: 5:29pm On Oct 09, 2016
lol
Re: I Am Nigerian And A Feminist. by gafadove(m): 6:43pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ok

(1) (Reply)

I Was Arrested For Granting Bail To Dasuki, Kanu, Says Justice Ademola / Controversial Justice Okon Abang Sacks Two PDP Federal Lawmakers / World Mobile Group Opposes Plans To Impose 9% Tax On Nigerian Phone Consumers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.