Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,548 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation (19674 Views)

James Ibori Weeps At Alamieyeseigha’s Graveside In Bayelsa...Photos / Delta Paid Ibori N250m In UK Prison / FG Begins Process To Extradite James Ibori After Gaining Freedom From UK Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by HungerBAD: 1:36am On Oct 09, 2016
Former governor of Delta State, James Onanefe Ibori, is due to become a free man in December, after spending half of his jail term in United Kingdom prisons, according to a report from London.

Ibori was jailed for money laundering offences by Southwark Crown court in 2012.

But it is unclear yet whether he will return to Nigeria immediately as legal proceedings concerning the confiscation of his assets worth tens of millions of dollars are yet to be resolved.

The delay in resolving the issue stems from allegations of police corruption in the Ibori matter and the likelihood of the former governor taking his case to the Court of Appeal.

His lawyer told the court on Friday that the former governor would appeal against his conviction on the grounds that British police and lawyers involved in his case were themselves corrupt.

Ibori, who governed Delta State from 1999 to 2007, is serving a 13-year sentence after pleading guilty in 2012 to 10 counts of fraud and money-laundering.

While in office, Ibori acquired luxury properties in Britain, the United States, South Africa and Nigeria. He is the most senior Nigerian politician to have been held to account for the corruption that has blighted Africa’s most populous nation.

His jailing in Britain, where he had laundered millions of pounds and sent his children to an expensive private school, was hailed as a high point in the international fight against graft and an important signal to other corrupt politicians.

But his lawyer Ivan Krolick told Southwark Crown Court on Friday that Ibori was “95 percent certain” to challenge his conviction in the Court of Appeal based on documents that have only recently been disclosed to the defence by the prosecution.

At the same hearing, Stephen Kamlish, a lawyer for Ibori associate and convicted money launderer Bhadresh Gohil, said the documents showed there had been widespread police corruption followed by a cover-up that was still going on now.

The main allegation is that a police officer involved in the Ibori probe took payments for information in 2007 from a firm of private detectives working on Ibori’s behalf. At the time, Ibori had not been arrested and was still in Nigeria, but knew that British police were investigating his finances.

Kamlish said prosecution lawyers had known there was evidence of police corruption but had failed to disclose it to defence lawyers. Krolick told Reuters on the sidelines of Friday’s court hearing that Ibori did not know about the payments at the time.

The police have said that the allegation was thoroughly investigated and that no one was arrested or charged, and no misconduct identified. The officer against whom the allegations have been made is still in active service.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), after a lengthy internal investigation, said in September it was confident that the convictions of Ibori and Gohil remained valid.

The CPS has said it found “material to support the assertion that a police officer received payment in return for information.” It did not use the word “evidence”, suggesting it did not consider the material in question amounted to proof.

But the CPS conceded in September that the material should have been disclosed to the defence, and handed over thousands of documents to defence lawyers. Those were the documents that Kamlish and Krolick were referring to in court on Friday.

Gohil has already filed an appeal against his conviction. Krolick said Ibori was likely to do so once his legal team had finished going through all the newly disclosed documents.

As is normal under British procedures, Ibori is due to be released in December after serving half his sentence, taking into account pre-trial detention.

Gohil, a British former lawyer, has already been released after serving half of a 10-year term for his role in laundering Ibori’s millions.

http://thenationonlineng.net/ibori-regain-freedom-december/

2 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by NgeneUkwenu(f): 1:47am On Oct 09, 2016
I expect IPOb Yoots to roll out the drums and celebrate one of their own on his arrival from Jail!

Ndi ara!

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by HungerBAD: 1:48am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
I expect IPOb Yoots to roll out the drums and celebrate one of their own on his arrival from Jail!

Ndi ara!

lol

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by SamuelAnyawu(m): 1:50am On Oct 09, 2016
The jagaban of Delta State cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by modath(f): 3:13am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!

Miss!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Nobody: 3:29am On Oct 09, 2016
If he dare enter the shores of Nigeria, i trust buhari to send DSS to pick him up. He is too corrupt to be free.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Nobody: 4:58am On Oct 09, 2016
Ibori oooo, Ibori aaaa, Ibori again for governor. That was the song that rent the air in the build up to the 2003 governorship election in the state. Obviously, he sought a second term in office to complete his looting.

Well...without being a clairvoyant, I am sure plans are already afoot to welcome him in a grand way. Ibori, though incarcerated in a far away country, still controls the PDP's political machinery in Delta state. Patrick Okowa is his political godson and this was amply demonstrated some months back when he put a paid advert in some national dallies to congratulate Ibori on his birthday.

12 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Funlordjnr: 5:23am On Oct 09, 2016
cool
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!

You are fond of making this mistake all the time! They are not to be called IPOB YOUTHS but rather IPOB BASTARDS!

Comprende?

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Cutehector(m): 5:32am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!
ipob youths? Really?

1 Like

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Cutehector(m): 5:34am On Oct 09, 2016
I'm not surprised when the rich go scot free if the commit crimes against humanity...

Well, an everlasting punishment awaits them.

1 Like

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by martineinstein(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2016
deltans and the love for ibori are like.....

3 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Bugatie(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!

Stop this your foolish dance of shame oga

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Princelegacylemoha(m): 9:24am On Oct 09, 2016
Finally
The Man Don Smell Prison Tire
Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Godwin978(m): 9:25am On Oct 09, 2016
13 years in jail is not easy

1 Like

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by ArabMopol(m): 9:26am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!
AFONJA cyber warrior, probably charting at the comfort of his brown roof face me I face you apartment, Hungrily waiting for mama bimbo to bring a bowl of ewudu and amala so he can sequence ulcer

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 09, 2016
He doesnt deserve to be released..thief..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Lescalier: 9:31am On Oct 09, 2016
I bet they are arresting all these judges because Ibori is due to return.

They do not want any other Awokulehim to set him free of 170 count charge when they start with him in Nigeria.

If I am Ibori, I go just beg them for Britain make them no release me.

5 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Bizibi(m): 9:31am On Oct 09, 2016
He is already in Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 09, 2016
The weirdest part is that so many Ex Governors looted more than Ibori. Especially governors from previous administration. Nigeria politics is as deep as the Pacific Ocean and filled with timeless secrets.

13 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by fratermathy(m): 9:34am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!
Urhobo youths are not iPodians. iPodians can't come and welcome Ibori.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 09, 2016
So fast? Crook!
Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Officialkenshin(m): 9:40am On Oct 09, 2016
Baba number one! cheesy the god father himself.

4 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by Skipuru(m): 9:42am On Oct 09, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi ara!
gods bless u not God.
Happy sunday.
Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by ojimbo(m): 9:44am On Oct 09, 2016
Android phones can be so annoying. How do I explain it? I just received a notification that my Bible App needs update. Please what does the Bible need update for? Has Adam eaten another apple

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by alexlee50: 9:49am On Oct 09, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
If he dare enter the shores of Nigeria, i trust buhari to send DSS to pick him up. He is too corrupt to be free.
wetin concern u with ibori? E thief your money? Are from delta state? Did your saint declare his assets publicly? Where your saint see money dey pay him kids school fees over the years?

7 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by funshore(m): 9:55am On Oct 09, 2016
ArabMopol:
AFONJA cyber warrior, probably charting at the comfort of his brown roof face me I face you apartment, Hungrily waiting for mama bimbo to bring a bowl of ewudu and amala so he can sequence ulcer
ArabMopol:
ArabMopol:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by xnsandrxns: 10:05am On Oct 09, 2016
Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by kabrud: 10:12am On Oct 09, 2016
As usual, the flat heads will say he was witch hunted.

2 Likes

Re: James Ibori Leaves UK Prison In December - The Nation by eph12(m): 10:16am On Oct 09, 2016
Is this how it's done? One is allowed to go after serving half of his jail term?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"North Will Not, Will Never Allow Presidency To Move To South In 2019" - NYLF / Restructuring: Kano, Katsina Kick Against Devolution Of Power / US Embargo Forced Jonathan To Buy Arms With Raw Cash –fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.