Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,865 members, 7,828,088 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs (29824 Views)

‘Nigerians Spent N6.7 Trillion On Imported Consumables In 2015’ / Customs Removes Ban On Importation Of Rice / Dangote Rice Hits Nigerian Market As Price Of Rice Is Set To Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Sweetcollins: 6:55am On Oct 09, 2016
Which one to believe now

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Sweetcollins: 6:55am On Oct 09, 2016
Which one to believe now?
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Femich18(m): 6:57am On Oct 09, 2016
nawa ...I don't even know what to say..Propaganda everywhere all the time

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Izonpikin: 7:08am On Oct 09, 2016
Freiden:
Yes! Let the ban be until we learn to feed on our own rice
is the presidency feeding on our own rice

See it is people like you that fail to understand that leadership is by example..reason why nigeria is a hell hole..

Is the FG feeding on our own rice??..

3 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by vectoh(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2016
celestialAgent:
who eats rice anyway?

Just give me boiled slightly ripe plantain with snake source and I'm cool - Ask laslaticlala grin
Source or sauce?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by ArabMopol(m): 7:11am On Oct 09, 2016
the confuse confusionist

2 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Allwility: 7:13am On Oct 09, 2016
Buhari, Lie Mohammed, Ali and their bunch of merry men. gringrin

3 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Rekyz(m): 7:14am On Oct 09, 2016
Freiden:
Omo! You dumb pass Buhari. You wan start to learn to feed on your own rice abi? Oya, kwontinu

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 09, 2016
With high exchange rate n their ridiculous levy.... No hope for cheap rice yet n the country can't produce to capacity.

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by saintkel(m): 7:20am On Oct 09, 2016
Freiden:
How much is our own rice, how available is it, how. Far with its quality?

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by petrelli07: 7:21am On Oct 09, 2016
Funny how many people ignored that part where the press release said the interview was granted in 2015...

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by anonimi: 7:24am On Oct 09, 2016
Officialkenshin:
Ta sharrap dere, I remember when you were campaigning for bubu now you are complaining.

Maybe he wants a refund of his vote. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3234361_fbimg1450823846843_jpegccc7ea9d509141b638a64535ab185d08

3 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by anonimi: 7:26am On Oct 09, 2016
saintkel:
How much is our own rice, how available is it, how. Far with its quality?

NECESSITY is still the mother of invention, innit

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68

2 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Dove4Peace: 7:27am On Oct 09, 2016
[size=18pt]See the Stu-pi-dity of Africa. You prefer to import exported thrash from Asia than food from Neighboring countries. AFRICA REMAIN A ZOO ! undecided undecided[/size]

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Mufasa27(m): 7:32am On Oct 09, 2016
Una dey craze

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Aroh48(m): 7:32am On Oct 09, 2016
I prefered rat meat to rice.Atleast I don't buy rat meat with my money.I get it whenever I want,so ban anything you like.
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by anonimi: 7:39am On Oct 09, 2016
Izonpikin:
is the presidency feeding on our own rice

See it is people like you that fail to understand that leadership is by example..reason why nigeria is a hell hole..

Is the FG feeding on our own rice??..

Good question.
Probably not, more so with the padded budget for Aso Rock feeding.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2358520_111385321026854017343351561803944924259098n_jpegcc9c141e2dfbc6f9b46eeede8dadd1ff

Firefire:

‘A budget that moves domestic spending in Aso Villa from N580m to N1.7bn cannot be a budget of change’

Abuja – Sen. Eyinnaya Abaribe (PDP Abia South) on Wednesday in Abuja, berated the 2016 budget and called on President Muhammaduu Buhari to withdraw it and go back to the drawing board.

Abaribe while making contributions during the consideration of the budget, said the proposal was faulty on many grounds and could not be implemented at it was.

He said that predication of oil benchmark at 38 dollars per barrel when the crude oil price had fallen below 30 dollars per barrel made the budget unrealistic.

Abaribe faulted the government for increasing spending by 30 per cent based on borrowing.

“Mr President, my colleagues, this budget is indeed unique. After the budget presentation, the finance minister has never come to explain the details of the budget as it is normally done.

“It is a budget of change I agree, but it is a change in the wrong direction. I say it is a change in the wrong direction because it says that it is based on zero budgeting requiring all expenses to be fully justified.

“Mr President, a budget that increases spending up to 30 per cent based solely on borrowing, in what way are we justified? That is the question we want to ask the people who brought this budget.

“We know what is going on in the global economy: this budget is predicated on an oil benchmark of 38 dollars per barrel and I can now say that with oil being 28 dollars today, this budget is dead on arrival.

“The job of the opposition is to help the government to get its priorities right, so I want to please urge this government to withdraw this budget and go back to the drawing board,” he said.

The senator also faulted the adjustments made in the budget as well as allocation for spending in the Aso Rock Villa, saying that it was too exorbitant.

He said that the adjustments rather than reduce spending in areas where they were not necessary only spread it into different offices.

“Mr President, a budget that moves domestic spending within Aso Villa from N580 million to N1.7 billion cannot be a budget of change.

“We were told that in the revised budget there was an adjustment due to error, we agree but what has happened is that up to N7 billion were moved from buying vehicles and spread to offices.

“It also increased the spending that is due to renovations within the Villa.

“They are going to renovate the Villa with N3.9 billion: what else do you want to renovate there that Nigerians will see in the Year 2016?” he asked.

However, in his contribution, Sen. Ahmed Lawan (APC Yobe North) blamed the previous administration for the lack of funds due to the embezzlement witnessed in previous governments.

He said that this was the 17th budget he would be debating as a legislator and noted that not more than 40 per cent implementation was achieved in the last 16 years.

“The proposal before us is the first budget where the executive has deemed it necessary to give ordinary Nigerians genuine hope.

“N500 billion allocated for school feeding and social SAFTEY NET is commendable.

“It is time to say oil should not continue to play dominant role as we have suffered economically and politically: it is time to diversify this economy.

“The direction of the executive is the way to go. `That is, we should make every effort to have the real sector-agric mining and manufacturing.

“The budget deserves the support of everyone, including my colleagues on the other side. When we were in the opposition we supported the PDP, they should support us,” he said.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3317046_budgettt_jpegd73bb73944448e30966f27bc22a4c756

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/602809/

3 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by HomeOfMe(f): 7:48am On Oct 09, 2016
dumebiifeanyi:
Below is a press release from the Nigerian customs service stating that the ban on imported rice is still very much in effect, contrary to reports that surfaced yesterday that the ban had been removed.

RICE IMPORTS REMAIN BANNED THROUGH THE LAND BORDERS

Our attention has been drawn to publications on various online platforms indicating that the Nigeria Customs Service has reversed the ban on Rice importation through the land borders. These reports were attributed to a press interview purportedly granted by the Service Public Relations Officer, Deputy-Comptroller Wale Adeniyi.

2. It has become necessary to re-state the true position in view of the confusion which these online publications may create in the industry. It is even more expedient to provide this clarification given that the fact that the Service has taken a firm position earlier in the week through a joint press conference with Stakeholders.

3. First, we like to reiterate the position that importation of Rice remains banned through our Land Borders, and we have the commitment of Partner Government Agencies and Stakeholders to enforce this restriction. While this restriction is in force, Rice imports through the Ports are still allowed subject to payment of extant charges.

4. It is equally important to restate the confidence of the Nigeria Customs Service in the ability of Nigerian Rice Producers to fill the existing sufficiency gaps in the supply of the product. The Service has noted with satisfaction the ongoing Rice Revolution undertaken by many State Governments, and Strategic Interventions by Federal Government Agencies. The Service is convinced that the bumper harvests expected from these efforts will address the supply gap in 2017. It is our belief that continuous waste of scarce forex on a commodity that can be produced locally makes no economic sense, most especially at a period of recession. The Service will therefore advocate a total Ban on Rice Importation into Nigeria with effect from 2017.

5. It is worrisome that the publications that resurfaced this weekend were being attributed to a Press interview granted in October 2015. We strongly suspect that some powerful forces behind Rice Smuggling are at work, recycling an old report under a different circumstance to create confusion. We urge Nigerians to watch out for similar antics as the firm stand on Rice smuggling will pitch their selfish interest against our national interest.

Signed
Wale Adeniyi
Public Relations Officer
For: Comptroller-General of Customs
http://politicsngr.com/ban-imported-rice-still-effect-nigerian-customs/

cc : lalasticlala
it's still the same banned imported rice that you custom officers,your family and friends would still use to celebrate the Christmas/holiday season;who cares,good riddance to bad rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Officialkenshin(m): 7:48am On Oct 09, 2016

4 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Cutehector(m): 7:49am On Oct 09, 2016
Rice imports is still valid...

The conditions was that extant charges must still be paid
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by natical(m): 7:53am On Oct 09, 2016
Nigerian custom and groundless stories are like twins.

2 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by yaki84: 7:55am On Oct 09, 2016
but wetin happen to beans na? no press release abt it, abi dem stop cultivation of beans? beans wan come cost pass rice...

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Barigaboy(m): 7:56am On Oct 09, 2016
dumebiifeanyi:
Below is a press release from the Nigerian customs service stating that the ban on imported rice is still very much in effect, contrary to reports that surfaced yesterday that the ban had been removed.

RICE IMPORTS REMAIN BANNED THROUGH THE LAND BORDERS

Our attention has been drawn to publications on various online platforms indicating that the Nigeria Customs Service has reversed the ban on Rice importation through the land borders. These reports were attributed to a press interview purportedly granted by the Service Public Relations Officer, Deputy-Comptroller Wale Adeniyi.

2. It has become necessary to re-state the true position in view of the confusion which these online publications may create in the industry. It is even more expedient to provide this clarification given that the fact that the Service has taken a firm position earlier in the week through a joint press conference with Stakeholders.

3. First, we like to reiterate the position that importation of Rice remains banned through our Land Borders, and we have the commitment of Partner Government Agencies and Stakeholders to enforce this restriction. While this restriction is in force, Rice imports through the Ports are still allowed subject to payment of extant charges.

4. It is equally important to restate the confidence of the Nigeria Customs Service in the ability of Nigerian Rice Producers to fill the existing sufficiency gaps in the supply of the product. The Service has noted with satisfaction the ongoing Rice Revolution undertaken by many State Governments, and Strategic Interventions by Federal Government Agencies. The Service is convinced that the bumper harvests expected from these efforts will address the supply gap in 2017. It is our belief that continuous waste of scarce forex on a commodity that can be produced locally makes no economic sense, most especially at a period of recession. The Service will therefore advocate a total Ban on Rice Importation into Nigeria with effect from 2017.

5. It is worrisome that the publications that resurfaced this weekend were being attributed to a Press interview granted in October 2015. We strongly suspect that some powerful forces behind Rice Smuggling are at work, recycling an old report under a different circumstance to create confusion. We urge Nigerians to watch out for similar antics as the firm stand on Rice smuggling will pitch their selfish interest against our national interest.

Signed
Wale Adeniyi
Public Relations Officer
For: Comptroller-General of Customs
http://politicsngr.com/ban-imported-rice-still-effect-nigerian-customs/

cc : lalasticlala
I no go deny my likeness for buhari but dis his idea of banning importation of rice doesn't make sense. Since rice has been banned. How many bag of rice have we been able to produce? If we have been producing rice, for what price? is d price cheaper n affordable or making d economy worse. We need to dey apply sense. We have shifted from Agricultural sector n face d consumption of oil supplied to us by Ghana now.

2 Likes

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Okeikpu(m): 8:04am On Oct 09, 2016
that'' change for you tongue

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by saintkash(m): 8:13am On Oct 09, 2016
Tolubory:

First, we like to reiterate the position that importation of Rice remains banned through our Land Borders, and we have the commitment of Partner Government Agencies and Stakeholders to enforce this restriction. While this restriction is in force, Rice imports through the Ports are still allowed subject to payment of extant charges

So
Ki ni difference ?

guess u need some clarification bro.... over 95% of foreign rice u see in Nigeria are being smuggled into the country through land boarders hence the smugglers don't pay their tax and charges to the government that's why only sea and airport boarders are only allowed for rice import but this same smugglers refuse to do the right thing till date that's y we r facing this hardship.

NB..
u must not agree with me on this but it's a genuine truth cos av been through it via niger-katsina boarders before.

1 Like

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by celestialAgent(m): 8:27am On Oct 09, 2016
vectoh:
Source or sauce?
Blame it on the hustle for front page..

Thanks anyway..
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by greatermax77(m): 8:37am On Oct 09, 2016
Confused Leaders, leading a confused nation.
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 09, 2016
greatgod2012:
Set of clueless and directionless people!

I have seen your objections to this government but given the levelheadedness you bring to discussion in the family section i would advise you reread the opening post well.

The cancer of the social media is the cause of all these confusion. Some writes a release and without confirmation someone goes on and publish it. The said release by the Custom service was based on press release in 2015. This is 2016 and i would bot blame the Customs but useless blogger who only want traffic to make ends meet.

Nigerians would lie and do anything to make money. You should be aware of that by now and shun your blind criticism. stay blessed.
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Ugogenius(m): 8:46am On Oct 09, 2016
NIGERIA! Chibo anuozo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by Emeskhalifa(m): 8:49am On Oct 09, 2016
Customs boss yesterday said "they will lift the ban on the importation of Rice into the country"
My questions now are:-
1. What made the FG to place an embargo on Rice importation?
2. A lot of people, cooperate/business enterprises have invested so much on Nigerian Rice already. in fact they made promises that their rice will start selling by December at a very affordable price... so wouldn't that be waste of money and a big loss to them if FG orders the importation of rice again?
3. What then happened to #patronizenaijaproducts #madeinnigeria the same FG campaigned some months ago?
so many more on my mind.
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by JuanDeDios: 8:49am On Oct 09, 2016
celestialAgent:
who eats rice anyway?

Just give me boiled slightly ripe plantain with snake sauce and I'm cool - Ask laslaticlala grin
Lol. Give me the recipe and mode of preparation of snake sauce please.
Re: The Ban On Imported Rice Is Still In Effect - Nigerian Customs by OKorowanta: 8:50am On Oct 09, 2016
Jerry Rawlings should come and help us kill our politicians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Share Your Cash Scarcity Experience / Paystack Investors Enjoy 1440% Return On Investment / The Cost Of Establishing A Primary And Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.