Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,671 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment (37659 Views)

Typhoid Fever : Free Natural Therapy To Use. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Healinicblog: 8:00am On Oct 09, 2016
Hey Everyone,Lets talk about Typhoid Fever

What is typhoid fever?
Typhoid fever is an acute illness associated with fever caused by the Salmonella typhi bacteria. It can also be caused by Salmonella paratyphi, a related bacterium that usually causes a less severe illness. The bacteria are deposited in water or food by a human carrier and are then spread to other people in the area. Typhoid fever affects more than 21 million people annually, with about 200,000 people dying from the disease. In Nigeria precisely, most people mistook thyphoid as malaria and thereby not getting the required and specific treatment to eliminate in totally.

How Do People Get Typhoid Fever?

Typhoid fever is contracted by drinking or eating the bacteria in contaminated food or water. People with acute illness can contaminate the surrounding water supply through stool, which contains a high concentration of the bacteria. Contamination of the water supply can, in turn, taint the food supply. The bacteria can survive for weeks in water or dried sewage.
About 3%-5% of people become carriers of the bacteria after the acute illness. Others suffer a very mild illness that goes unrecognized. These people may become long-term carriers of the bacteria -- even though they have no symptoms -- and be the source of new outbreaks of typhoid fever for many years.

How Is Typhoid Fever Detected?
After the ingestion of contaminated food or water, the bacteria gets into the small intestine and enter the bloodstream temporarily. The bacteria are carried by white blood cells in the liver, spleen, and bone marrow, where they multiply and reenter the bloodstream. People develop symptoms, including fever, at this point. Bacteria invade the gallbladder, biliary system, and the lymphatic tissue of the bowel. Here, they multiply in high numbers. The bacteria pass into the intestinal tract and can be identified in stool samples. If a test result isn't clear, blood samples will be taken to make a diagnosis..
What Are the Symptoms of Typhoid Fever?
The breeding period is usually 1-2 weeks, and the duration of the illness is about 3-4 weeks. Symptoms include:

Poor appetite
Headaches
Generalized aches and pains
Fever as high as 104 degrees Farenheit
Lethargy
Diarrhea
and abdominal pain and discomfort are common. The fever becomes constant. Improvement occurs in the third and fourth week in those without complications.

How Is Typhoid Fever Treated?

Typhoid fever is treated with antibiotics which kill the Salmonella bacteria. Prior to the use of antibiotics, Several antibiotics are effective for the treatment of typhoid fever. Chloramphenicol was the original drug of choice for many years. Because of rare serious side effects, chloramphenicol has been replaced by other effective antibiotics.

Commonly prescribed antibiotics

Ciprofloxacin (Cipro). In the United States, doctors often prescribe this for nonpregnant adults.
Ceftriaxone (Rocephin). This injectable antibiotic is an alternative for people who may not be candidates for ciprofloxacin, such as children,

In Nigeria, Drugs like Amoxil Beecham is one of the major drugs used for this defect. Drugs also includes
Amoxicillin (Trimox, Amoxil, Biomox)
Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim DS, Septra)
Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
Azithromycin (Zithromax)
Ceftriaxone (Rocephin)
Ofloxacin (Floxin)
Levofloxacin (Levaquin)

Source : http://healinic..com.ng/2016/10/typhoid-symptoms-and-treatment.html

23 Likes 8 Shares

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Healinicblog: 11:10am On Oct 09, 2016
Please for more health tips always visit YOUR NUMBER 1 HEALTH BLOG IN NIGERIA : http://healinic..com.ng/
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Olukokosir(m): 5:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
Tankx for d tip

I prefer Agbo to all dz drugs... I fit drink 5litres of Agbo jst to cure malaria buh a single pill lasan, I no fit use am

1 Like

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by johnygilz(m): 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice write up OP very Educative

3 Likes

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by ednut1(m): 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2016
thanks .for those of us eating from pots like d one below na God dey save us from this kind bacteria

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by daclint(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice one op
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Seunpaul01(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Coming back

1 Like

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by kayfeez(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Gracias....
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by jericco1(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Sickness sef
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by kelvyn7: 5:03pm On Oct 09, 2016
shocked
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Ezedon(m): 5:03pm On Oct 09, 2016
Buhari is also one of the symptons

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by blithe2nice(m): 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice info..Say no to self medication. Undergo test first ooooooooo...anyways sickness is not our portion by God's grace.

3 Likes

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by chelseaboi(m): 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
Pls op...I will really like u to write and educate our PEO on HEPATITIS....its deadly and has killed PEO yet SME don't know abt it....pls make it simple and straightforward....especially the transmitting aspect....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by AngelAhnie(f): 5:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
Na native medicine I want
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by undisputed25(m): 5:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
Typhoid or hiv which one bad pass?
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2016
Thank you op. You are not among those that get high on weeds on Sunday morning and type poo
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Olukokosir(m): 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2016
ednut1:
thanks .for those of us eating from pots like d one below na God dey save us from this kind bacteria

U sef knw... Beta stop eating from mama-Put

2 Likes

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by bolaji3071(m): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2016

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by webmaster0(m): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice article! But if symptoms persist, go see a doc
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by OlajumokeBread(f): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2016
I haven't been to a hospital and i don't know how hospitals look like

Am i the only one ??

1 Like

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by supranor(f): 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
Good to share... God bless...
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by kingphilip(m): 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
Many of us have misinterpreted typhoid for malaria before even I

If you know you have or known someone who has click like let's see how many of us those days were misinformed

1 Like

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by oxalistic: 5:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
tanks.But I wanna kwn. if sore mouth n itching of d body 're also symptoms of typhoid fever?
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by tuoyoojo(m): 5:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
the endemic nature of typhoid or enteric fever may be attributed to poor hygiene and how unsanitary our general eating habits are

if a survey is done in Nigeria close to 70 percent of the population might likely be affected

the complications if left untreated could be life threatening. intestinal perforation, hemorrhage in rare typhoid psychosis, disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, myocarditis just to mention but a few

prevention remains the best and cheapest alternative

3 Likes

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by Fantastic2m(m): 5:12pm On Oct 09, 2016
Great topic

1 Like

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by idris4r83(m): 5:14pm On Oct 09, 2016
One funny thing with symptoms is that they are not specific. Many other ailments can still cause 80% of the symptoms you mentioned. The best method os just blood test and not over reliance on just symptoms

1 Like

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by idris4r83(m): 5:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
I hope these drugs of choices you mentioned doesn't lead to self medication cos Nigerians can be funny. Once you noticed any of the listed symptoms please don't hesitate to see your doctor for a proper check-up before any treatment commences. Self medication can be detrimental and can worsen your health conditions. There are certain questions a doctor will ask you before prescribing any medication. Some patients are not suited for some medications while others are best suited for that same medication. Dosage is also another important factor to see a doctor before any treatment commences.
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by adadioranmah(f): 5:16pm On Oct 09, 2016
Thanks for the info
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by ChukwuIbrahim: 5:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
oxalistic:
tanks.But I wanna kwn. if sore mouth n itching of d body 're also symptoms of typhoid fever?
symptoms 4 HIV noni grin
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by olaoge(m): 5:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
Get unripe pineapple which is yet to attain full maturity, get 3-4 balls of lime, and this Green Tea leaves..

wash everything carefully, cut the pineapple and lime into a mortal without peeling them, add the green tea leaves and pound together

sieve the solution gotten and drink 15ml morning, afternoon and night for 5days.

That is all....

2 Likes

Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by kenedy175(m): 5:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice one O.P. let me just add some more stuffs...
Some people are chronic Careers of Typhoid without manifestation of any symptoms (asymptomatic). They are also very capable of spreading the illness.

One should maintain a good hygiene and know where he or she eat from because it's passed through feaco-oral route.

Symptoms are usually nonspecific. There could be Jaundice, brief constipation followed by diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever, Pychosis and some other G.I symptoms.

When this is suspected, get a test done to confirm Salmonella Typhi then drugs are taken.
Re: TYPHOID FEVER : Symptoms And Treatment by osemoses1234(m): 5:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
Wot of agro how I fit take treat am

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benue State University Teaching Hospital In Pictures. / Coronavirus: Sophie Gregoire Trudeau Tests Positive / Black Soot: Port Harcourt Dangerous Air Pollution - Eyewitness Account (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.