Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,610 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

“beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie (1063 Views)

Marriage Isn’t The Ultimate- Annie Idibia / Wizkid’s 2nd Baby Mama Shades 3rd Baby Mama, Insists She Isn’t A One-Night Stand / You Will Celebrate Me One Day, Ceec Replies Man Who Said She Isn’t A Role Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by Oluwayeezy: 4:35pm On Oct 09, 2016
In a new interview with Dutch publication de Volkskrant, Award-winning Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has commented for the first time on Beyoncé’s feminism. Beyoncé used fragments of Chimamanda’s TED Talk “We should all be feminists ” in her song “***Flawless “. However, Chimamanda says ‘her type of feminism is not mine, as it is the kind that gives quite a lot of space to the necessity of men’. de Volkskrant says in the months following the release of the song the big question was: what did Adichie, whose novel Americanah markedly climbed on the bestseller lists, actually think of this collaboration? This remained unclear, as in later interviews with the writer Beyoncé was hardly mentioned, and if she was, it only solicited a benign smile or ‘no comment’. Now she has spoken… Read Excerpts below. On Beyonce being Lovely ‘In the first place: of course Beyoncé asked permission to use my texts, and I did give her permission. I think she’s lovely and I am convinced that she has nothing but the best intentions. In addition, Beyoncé is a celebrity of the first order and with this song she has reached many people who would otherwise probably never have heard the word feminism, let alone gone out and buy my essay.’ On media attention after the song’s release ‘But I was shocked about how many requests for an interview I received when that song was released. Literally every major newspaper in the world wanted to speak with me about Beyoncé. I felt such a resentment (laughs loudly). I thought: are books really that unimportant to you? Another thing I hated was that I read everywhere: now people finally know her, thanks to Beyoncé, or: she must be very grateful. I found that disappointing. I thought: I am a writer and I have been for some time and I refuse to perform in this charade that is now apparently expected of me: “Thanks to Beyoncé, my life will never be the same again.” That’s why it didn’t speak about it much.’ On Beyonce’s style of feminism & her view on Feminism We women should spend about 20 per cent of our time on men but otherwise we should also be talking about our own stuff Beyoncé was applauded for her ‘coming out’ as a feminist, but she also received a lot of criticism, such as that she was only embracing feminism for commercial reasons and that her sexy outfits and shallow lyrics were incompatible with feminist ideas. Adichie has this to say: ‘Her style is not my style, but I do find it interesting that she takes a stand in political and social issues, since a few years. She portrays a woman who is in charge of her own destiny, who does her own thing, and she has girl power. I am very taken with that.’ ‘Still, her type of feminism is not mine, as it is the kind that, at the same time, gives quite a lot of space to the necessity of men. I think men are lovely, but I don’t think that women should relate everything they do to men: did he hurt me, do I forgive him, did he put a ring on my finger? We women are so conditioned to relate everything to men. Put a group of women together and the conversation will eventually be about men. Put a group of men together and they will not talk about women at all, they will just talk about their own stuff. We women should spend about 20 per cent of our time on men, because it’s fun, but otherwise we should also be talking about our own stuff.’

Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by themonk(m): 4:41pm On Oct 09, 2016
angry
Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by Tallesty1(m): 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2016
That moment when two women fighting for the same cause are against each other.
Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by Iboko12: 6:44pm On Oct 09, 2016
I am with Adichie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by opeaceo: 7:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
Warrahell??

Doesn't this act of Chim defy all tenets of feminism?? Why give her the permission to use your text when you do not agree with her style??

‘Still, her type of feminism is not mine, as it is the kind that, at the same time, gives quite a lot of space to the necessity of men'. "necessity of men"

How do you quantify the amount of time you spend on men?

This piece is just...
Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by daveP(m): 11:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
This confusion is legendary!!!

If she didn't talk of the permission issue, I'm sure nobody would have heard about it.
Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by SAMBARRY: 3:49am On Oct 10, 2016
cheesy

Always angry cheesy

Anyway chimanda was right.

Beyonce seemed her consent to use her work but chimanda didn't know beyonce will debase it for commercial gratification and fame wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by Ghost01(m): 11:36am On Oct 11, 2016
opeaceo:
Warrahell??

Doesn't this act of Chim defy all tenets of feminism?? Why give her the permission to use your text when you do not agree with her style??

‘Still, her type of feminism is not mine, as it is the kind that, at the same time, gives quite a lot of space to the necessity of men'. "necessity of men"

How do you quantify the amount of time you spend on men?

This piece is just...
Lol...
Re: “beyoncé’s Feminism Isn’t My Feminism”-chimamanda Adichie by macof(m): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2016
Oluwayeezy:
In a new interview with Dutch publication de Volkskrant,
Award-winning Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi
Adichie has commented for the first time on Beyoncé’s
feminism. Beyoncé used fragments of Chimamanda’s TED
Talk “We should all be feminists ” in her song “***Flawless “.
However, Chimamanda says ‘her type of feminism is not
mine, as it is the kind that gives quite a lot of space to the
necessity of men’.
de Volkskrant says in the months following the release of
the song the big question was: what did Adichie, whose
novel Americanah markedly climbed on the bestseller lists,
actually think of this collaboration? This remained unclear,
as in later interviews with the writer Beyoncé was hardly
mentioned, and if she was, it only solicited a benign smile
or ‘no comment’.
Now she has spoken…
Read Excerpts below.
On Beyonce being Lovely
‘In the first place: of course Beyoncé asked permission to
use my texts, and I did give her permission. I think she’s
lovely and I am convinced that she has nothing but the
best intentions. In addition, Beyoncé is a celebrity of the
first order and with this song she has reached many
people who would otherwise probably never have heard
the word feminism, let alone gone out and buy my essay.’
On media attention after the song’s release
‘But I was shocked about how many requests for an
interview I received when that song was released. Literally
every major newspaper in the world wanted to speak with
me about Beyoncé. I felt such a resentment (laughs
loudly). I thought: are books really that unimportant to
you? Another thing I hated was that I read everywhere:
now people finally know her, thanks to Beyoncé, or: she
must be very grateful. I found that disappointing. I thought:
I am a writer and I have been for some time and I refuse
to perform in this charade that is now apparently expected
of me: “Thanks to Beyoncé, my life will never be the same
again.” That’s why it didn’t speak about it much.’
On Beyonce’s style of feminism & her view on Feminism
We women should spend about 20 per cent of our time on
men but otherwise we should also be talking about our
own stuff
Beyoncé was applauded for her ‘coming out’ as a
feminist, but she also received a lot of criticism, such as
that she was only embracing feminism for commercial
reasons and that her sexy outfits and shallow lyrics were
incompatible with feminist ideas. Adichie has this to say:
‘Her style is not my style, but I do find it interesting that
she takes a stand in political and social issues, since a
few years. She portrays a woman who is in charge of her
own destiny, who does her own thing, and she has girl
power. I am very taken with that.’
‘Still, her type of feminism is not mine, as it is the kind
that, at the same time, gives quite a lot of space to the
necessity of men. I think men are lovely, but I don’t think
that women should relate everything they do to men: did
he hurt me, do I forgive him, did he put a ring on my
finger? We women are so conditioned to relate everything
to men. Put a group of women together and the
conversation will eventually be about men. Put a group of
men together and they will not talk about women at all,
they will just talk about their own stuff. We women should
spend about 20 per cent of our time on men, because it’s
fun, but otherwise we should also be talking about our
own stuff.’

hateful biatch! Not one speech she makes that I don't see some silly talk

she complains women somehow relate what they do to men, so? The essence of our humanity is socialization, and that can only be at its best when both sexes relate to each other. as a man, I know when men sit and talk together, when men go out and in everything we do, we find ways to relate to women. .. one would think a good writer like that should be intelligent enough to realize certain fundamental human characters

women are of great necessity to men as men are to women. .. it's not a one way thing

even that speech Beyoncé added to her song is just full of shiit. She claims men are not pressured to aspire to marry. ..seriously

(1) (Reply)

21 Worst Plastic Surgery [photos]________ Worldesttainment Gossip / 5 Bizarre Things Females Do After S-x To Avoid Getting Pregnant / Friends Throw Surprise Birthday Party For 2face's Wife Annie Idibia(pics,vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.