Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest (16656 Views)

EFCC Traces Slush Funds To More Supreme Court Justices / NJC Meets As DSS Set To Arrest More Supreme Court Justices, 7 Still Detained / Names Of Supreme Court Justices Arrested By Dss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by kings09(m): 9:52am On Oct 10, 2016
Ppl like Abba Kyari r nt included right?
blackpanda:

More like the birth of democracy and transparency. People should be afraid to touch bribe. That is how we will grow in this nation
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by Justindeco: 9:59am On Oct 10, 2016
they intimidated national assamble SW media hail them, they move to judiciary SW media refuse to condemed them, they now said that media wil be next before they will nail tinubu and SW. Pls condemed evil whenever you see it because nobody knows tommorow
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by divinelove(m): 10:01am On Oct 10, 2016
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by buzquet(m): 10:05am On Oct 10, 2016
EternalTruths:
The death of democracy in Nigeria
the beginning of transparency and true democracy

Sai Baba
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by PassingShot(m): 10:11am On Oct 10, 2016
otukpo:
When their court orders are being disobeyed, they kept quiet. Now e don dey happen for their eyes.
Because those court orders were paid for.

You can't expect bought orders to be respected. The earlier the Judiciary weeds itself of corrupt judges the better for that arm of govt.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by Trunquejnr(m): 10:16am On Oct 10, 2016
ademega:
No wrong way in dealing with people that doesn't know it's wrong to go against the ethics of their profession
You coined this phrase just to confuse yourself that your dulla*do of a president is not raping our hard fought democracy. Quit living in delusion bro
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ALISMILE(m): 10:20am On Oct 10, 2016
ivandragon:
are we to assume that the DSS has taken over the mandate of fighting corruption from the EFCC & ICPC?

if so, then I hope the cases of the present rouges in government will be given the same gestapo like treatment.
it doesn't mata who investigate corruption, what matter is that corruption is being investigated. Only thieves re this scared of SSS.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ademega(m): 10:49am On Oct 10, 2016
Trunquejnr:

You coined this phrase just to confuse yourself that your dulla*do of a president is not raping our hard fought democracy. Quit living in delusion bro
Those people that subverted the course of justice were actually beautifying democracy abi? When they were doing that nobody talk but now that things are turning around u are shouting military, dictatorship etc. Continue at least at best while Mr president clear the system of corrupt elements
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 10, 2016
blackpanda:

More like the birth of democracy and transparency. People should be afraid to touch bribe. That is how we will grow in this nation

You my friend will end up in the belly of the Tiger. So sorry about this generation. They should be treated as suspects not criminals until they are tried. Even animals are better.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 11:07am On Oct 10, 2016
ivandragon:
are we to assume that the DSS has taken over the mandate of fighting corruption from the EFCC & ICPC?

if so, then I hope the cases of the present rouges in government will be given the same gestapo like treatment.

Try reading the constitution before commenting on posts like this bro
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ehissi(m): 12:59pm On Oct 10, 2016
"The actions of the suspected judges border on national security. We are talking about huge corrupt practices and national security that are beyond the mandate of the EFCC and the ICPC.

“If we talk about democracy — from the conduct of election to election rigging; issues of foreign investments; economy and other issues that have to do with our national security, they all end up in courts. So anybody or institution that tries to undermine that institution is toying with the national security of our dear nation.’’

I no talk am??

Nairalanders I no talk am??

I say very soon, them go use their powers dey claim National security.

Corruption cases, election rigging etc don turn to National security, simply because know the only leeway/legal right or option they have to arrest the judges, without an arrest warrant is based on National security. Them don call am National security.

Bet it, Na EFCC go prosecute these cases in court, just like they did to Dasuki and Saraki initially.

DSS go form investigation, abusing their statutory powers and call any case they get involved in a matter of National security. Arrest people for no just cause, then when they hand over the folks to EFCC or ICPC for prosecution.

So that if a judge sitting over the case, issues an order, it will be binding on only the prosecuting counsel and not the investigators. (In the case of Dasuki, EFCC is the prosecutors while DSS are the investigators).

As Court don give order to EFCC, concerning Dasuki, FG go use DSS violate am for background. EFCC go do like say, them no know wetin judge dey talk for court.

Unfortunately, you chose to do this to Supreme court Justices and Principal officers of the Judiciary as well and just like the internet, the Judiciary never forgets..............grin
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ivandragon: 1:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
Oluwamuyeewa:

Try reading the constitution before commenting on posts like this bro
& what does the constitution say about discipline of judges?
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ivandragon: 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2016
uduokirika1:
The guyman conered you with a PDF. Doc he knew you won't read to wettle down. Your earlier position!

Read the document he uploaded and yu will see it in black and white
SSS nly have mandate on issues bothering internal and external national security threat, the only area they can come in financial cases are cases of money laundering to aid terrorism or other vices tantermont to security threat of the country

I already have the document.

I choose not to respond because my grouse is not about the arrest, but about been consistent.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ivandragon: 1:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
gabbytabby:
If they went after every bribe taking corrupt person more than 90 percent of all government departments will be emptied. Its about priorities and areas of major impact.

Some might not like it but it is what it is.

then why does it seem like its only judges who have at one time or another, given judgements not favourable to the FG that have been picked up?

the SSS has to tell us exactly who GAVE the bribe & for which judgements.

that way, we can then know the true situation
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ivandragon: 1:44pm On Oct 10, 2016
ALISMILE:
it doesn't mata who investigate corruption, what matter is that corruption is being investigated. Only thieves re this scared of SSS.

this matter is simple...

the DSS should tell Nigerians the person(s) who gave the bribe & for which judgements.

the DSS cannot just throw blanket accusations.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by uduokirika1(m): 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
ivandragon:

I already have the document.

I choose not to respond because my grouse is not about the arrest, but about been consistent.
ok
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by agabusta: 5:33pm On Oct 10, 2016
freeze001:
I am so dead certain that all of this is tied towards the retirement and appointment of a new CJN. I just can't shake that feeling.

The incoming Chief Judge is already known. Abeg, carry your conspiracy theory to another corner.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by basadenet: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2016
What is the work of Efcc Icpc and Police fraud unit? So DSS has suddenly woke up overnight to take over their duties. And if this trend is allowed to continue unabated, it would Boomerang sooner than we envisage.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by jpphilips(m): 8:26pm On Oct 13, 2016
ademega:
No wrong way in dealing with people that doesn't know it's wrong to go against the ethics of their profession

You have nothing to fear about me, but you must fear the consequences of your actions........Gen Mohammed Buhari RTD.
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by jpphilips(m): 8:36pm On Oct 13, 2016
ehissi:
"The actions of the suspected judges border on national security. We are talking about huge corrupt practices and national security that are beyond the mandate of the EFCC and the ICPC.

“If we talk about democracy — from the conduct of election to election rigging; issues of foreign investments; economy and other issues that have to do with our national security, they all end up in courts. So anybody or institution that tries to undermine that institution is toying with the national security of our dear nation.’’

I no talk am??

Nairalanders I no talk am??

I say very soon, them go use their powers dey claim National security.

Corruption cases, election rigging etc don turn to National security, simply because know the only leeway/legal right or option they have to arrest the judges, without an arrest warrant is based on National security. Them don call am National security.

Bet it, Na EFCC go prosecute these cases in court, just like they did to Dasuki and Saraki initially.

DSS go form investigation, abusing their statutory powers and call any case they get involved in a matter of National security. Arrest people for no just cause, then when they hand over the folks to EFCC or ICPC for prosecution.

So that if a judge sitting over the case, issues an order, it will be binding on only the prosecuting counsel and not the investigators. (In the case of Dasuki, EFCC is the prosecutors while DSS are the investigators).

As Court don give order to EFCC, concerning Dasuki, FG go use DSS violate am for background. EFCC go do like say, them no know wetin judge dey talk for court.

Unfortunately, you chose to do this to Supreme court Justices and Principal officers of the Judiciary as well and just like the internet, the Judiciary never forgets..............grin

some of you need serious IQ test before making comments, your interpretation of the paragraph you quoted, shows that there is a fundamental flaw in your ability to process simple information.

A terrorist suspect is a threat to National security, the fate of the same terrorist suspect is decided by the courts headed by judges.
If a corrupt judge is induced to deliver a bias judgement, the judge automatically becomes a threat to national security by complicity.

2 Likes

Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ehissi(m): 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2016
jpphilips:

some of you need serious IQ test before making comments, your interpretation of the paragraph you quoted, shows that there is a fundamental flaw in your ability to process simple information.

A terrorist suspect is a threat to National security, the fate of the same terrorist suspect is decided by the courts headed by judges.
If a corrupt judge is induced to deliver a bias judgement, the judge automatically becomes a threat to national security by complicity.

Well!!

When you start issuing IQ tests let me know. I'll be happy to surprise you any given day.

For the record, aside from Reverend Kings case and another one, as far as the first 2 sets of arrests of judges were concerned. All the cases bribes were involved, where election related cases and not National security cases.

DSS uses its sweeping powers under the Security act - which clearly states the duties of the DSS - to arrest people all in the name of National security.

The problem with that act, is that unless the case(s) are directly linked to National security - and not indirectly like your assumed case scenerio depicts - it has to be assented by Mr President himself before it goes through or is approved.

Sting operations like the one allegedly used by the DSS, costs money. Its not free, and that is also an important reason why DSS can't go running around arresting/investigating people over issues that are not a direct threat to National security.

But DSS made a fool of itself when it alleged that the entire sting operation was as a result of a petition sent by one fellow who leads a collation of civil society groups and not Mr President. This I guess was in response to comments that the President is operational responsible for DSS and sent them to arrest the judges, as a way to spite/attack the Judiciary for not allowing him to do as he pleases in court with his poorly handled anti-corruption cases.

The petition alleged corruption and not National security, plus the last time I checked the leader of the CSNAC wasn't the president of Nigeria. He doesn't have the power to make them investigate Basket mouth, let alone sitting Supreme court or High court judges.

The right thing DSS should have done, is to refer the case to EFCC. The problem is that EFCC cannot arrest people without an arrest warrant - in the manner that the DSS did - and that's why Buhari used DSS just like he did for Dasuki. DSS did the gorund investigation using search warrants and their sweeping power - in the name of Nationao security - while EFCC prosecutes.

The problem is that it involves judges and NJC must be involved. Fundamentally, it involes the ethics of Judges with special regard to cases they handled. If a man breaks public propert and he is a judge, do what is required by law.

Its no biggie, but as far as Nigerian law is concerned Ooh; only NJC can deal or recommend disciplinary action to judges with respect to ethics in handling court cases.

Let no man deceive you Oooh, in the absence of proper reference/recommendations of the NJC on their arrests/arraignment, no Judge in the whole country is qualified to sit over the cases as presented by DSS.

DSS can't even arraign/prosecute them. That why the entire press jingle they are doing over this case is just stupid, pointless - aside from shoring up political capital that is expendable in the next elections by Buhari - it can't secure a conviction.

And what good my over-smart, over-intelligent friend, is a sting operation that doesn't lead to a conviction??

Its as useful as the first tissue paper used to wipe the first crap that came outta my asss the first time I took a crap as a baby.

grin
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by jpphilips(m): 11:50am On Oct 17, 2016
ehissi:

Well!!

When you start issuing IQ tests let me know. I'll be happy to surprise you any given day.

For the record, aside from Reverend Kings case and another one, as far as the first 2 sets of arrests of judges were concerned. All the cases bribes were involved, where election related cases and not National security cases.

DSS uses its sweeping powers under the Security act - which clearly states the duties of the DSS - to arrest people all in the name of National security.

The problem with that act, is that unless the case(s) are directly linked to National security - and not indirectly like your assumed case scenerio depicts - it has to be assented by Mr President himself before it goes through or is approved.

Sting operations like the one allegedly used by the DSS, costs money. Its not free, and that is also an important reason why DSS can't go running around arresting/investigating people over issues that are not a direct threat to National security.

But DSS made a fool of itself when it alleged that the entire sting operation was as a result of a petition sent by one fellow who leads a collation of civil society groups and not Mr President. This I guess was in response to comments that the President is operational responsible for DSS and sent them to arrest the judges, as a way to spite/attack the Judiciary for not allowing him to do as he pleases in court with his poorly handled anti-corruption cases.

The petition alleged corruption and not National security, plus the last time I checked the leader of the CSNAC wasn't the president of Nigeria. He doesn't have the power to make them investigate Basket mouth, let alone sitting Supreme court or High court judges.

The right thing DSS should have done, is to refer the case to EFCC. The problem is that EFCC cannot arrest people without an arrest warrant - in the manner that the DSS did - and that's why Buhari used DSS just like he did for Dasuki. DSS did the gorund investigation using search warrants and their sweeping power - in the name of Nationao security - while EFCC prosecutes.

The problem is that it involves judges and NJC must be involved. Fundamentally, it involes the ethics of Judges with special regard to cases they handled. If a man breaks public propert and he is a judge, do what is required by law.

Its no biggie, but as far as Nigerian law is concerned Ooh; only NJC can deal or recommend disciplinary action to judges with respect to ethics in handling court cases.

Let no man deceive you Oooh, in the absence of proper reference/recommendations of the NJC on their arrests/arraignment, no Judge in the whole country is qualified to sit over the cases as presented by DSS.

DSS can't even arraign/prosecute them. That why the entire press jingle they are doing over this case is just stupid, pointless - aside from shoring up political capital that is expendable in the next elections by Buhari - it can't secure a conviction.

And what good my over-smart, over-intelligent friend, is a sting operation that doesn't lead to a conviction??

Its as useful as the first tissue paper used to wipe the first crap that came outta my asss the first time I took a crap as a baby.

grin

Did I hear you say election cases have NO national security tangent?

Again I recommend another IQ test, elections are of serious national security importance. I hate it when extremely ignorant people make statements in public.

This is the definition of National security

"noun
The safety of a country as managed through the exercise of economic and political power, intelligence agenciesand diplomacy."

Is DSS an intelligence agency? YES, hence it is her prerogative to use sting ops to gather intelligence /evidence against the accused.

Political power is sought through the ballot aka elections in a democracy how can an educated individual not know this?

Abiola's election destabilised our internal security, 2011 presidential elections destabilised our internal security to the extent that the Secretary of state of the United States was in Nigeria twice to witness the peace pact signed by the election actors in 2015 to forestall a recurrence of 2011 incident.

Use your freaking brain or donate it to charity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by ehissi(m): 11:27pm On Oct 17, 2016
jpphilips:

Did I hear you say election cases have NO national security tangent?

Again I recommend another IQ test, elections are of serious national security importance. I hate it when extremely ignorant people make statements in public.

This is the definition of National security

"noun
The safety of a country as managed through the exercise of economic and political power, intelligence agenciesand diplomacy."

Is DSS an intelligence agency? YES, hence it is her prerogative to use sting ops to gather intelligence /evidence against the accused.

Political power is sought through the ballot aka elections in a democracy how can an educated individual not know this?

Abiola's election destabilised our internal security, 2011 presidential elections destabilised our internal security to the extent that the Secretary of state of the United States was in Nigeria twice to witness the peace pact signed by the election actors in 2015 to forestall a recurrence of 2011 incident.

Use your freaking brain or donate it to charity.

This is a classic case of "Anything you say, can and will be used against you........" grin

It is obvious that you belong to a school of thought that lacks the intellectual capacity to make an intelligent argument without throwing around insults.

I find it fascinating though, that most times it's usually a result of a deeper problem. Which is the inability to view issues from a broader/different perspective.

Nice try with the definition though..................here is another one.

NOUN
[mass noun] The safety of a nation against threats
such as terrorism, war, or espionage................

For your information, Abiola's election didn't destablize the country. It was tagged as a free and fair one. Neither did the cancellation of the election destablize the country.

It was the actions of aggrieved members of the electorate of remarkable influence - after the cancellation - that created the kind of atmosphere that seemed to be a National security crisis.............

The peace pact of 2015 was provoked by 2 things. An comment allegedly credited to the US that by 2015, Nigeria as we know it will breakup and a comment credited to Buhari that if what happened in 2011 repeated itself in 2015, the baboons and the dogs will be soaked in blood (a metaphor for War).

Learn one thing, there exist on the internet, a billion and one definitions for every item on the internet. All with different perspectives.

For example, when CLEEN defined National security, it's perspective was based on access to information. When National Institute for advanced legal studies, NIALS, defined National security, it gave 2 backgrounds/basis.

A legal one (which currently reflects what exists in the National Security Act - that clearly defines what is expected of the DSS as opposed to what you assume or would have me believe).

And a non-legal one, which even includes food security as well as social security.

If you have ever undertaken a study on National security - which I doubt greatly - it would be clear to you that it's too broad to define. Hence, a nation like ours can makes assumptions on what we think National security is.

WE SIMPLY STATE WHAT WE EXPECT OF OUR AGENCIES AND DOCUMENT IT INTO LAWS. AND NOWHERE IN OUR LAWS DOES DSS NOR THE PRESIDENCY HAVE THE RIGHT TO ARREST JUDGES IN THE MANNER WITH WHICH IT WAS DONE.

Period.............it simply a matter of law and not wild guesses or assumptions.

Try getting a PhD or devote your time to research matters of significance within a research community.

It will help you understand perspectives and vantage points
Re: NJC Meets As More Supreme Court Justices Face Imminent Arrest by jpphilips(m): 9:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
ehissi:

This is a classic case of "Anything you say, can and will be used against you........" grin

It is obvious that you belong to a school of thought that lacks the intellectual capacity to make an intelligent argument without throwing around insults.

I find it fascinating though, that most times it's usually a result of a deeper problem. Which is the inability to view issues from a broader/different perspective.

Nice try with the definition though..................here is another one.

NOUN
[mass noun] The safety of a nation against threats
such as terrorism, war, or espionage................

For your information, Abiola's election didn't destablize the country. It was tagged as a free and fair one. Neither did the cancellation of the election destablize the country.

It was the actions of aggrieved members of the electorate of remarkable influence - after the cancellation - that created the kind of atmosphere that seemed to be a National security crisis.............

The peace pact of 2015 was provoked by 2 things. An comment allegedly credited to the US that by 2015, Nigeria as we know it will breakup and a comment credited to Buhari that if what happened in 2011 repeated itself in 2015, the baboons and the dogs will be soaked in blood (a metaphor for War).

Learn one thing, there exist on the internet, a billion and one definitions for every item on the internet. All with different perspectives.

For example, when CLEEN defined National security, it's perspective was based on access to information. When National Institute for advanced legal studies, NIALS, defined National security, it gave 2 backgrounds/basis.

A legal one (which currently reflects what exists in the National Security Act - that clearly defines what is expected of the DSS as opposed to what you assume or would have me believe).

And a non-legal one, which even includes food security as well as social security.

If you have ever undertaken a study on National security - which I doubt greatly - it would be clear to you that it's too broad to define. Hence, a nation like ours can makes assumptions on what we think National security is.

WE SIMPLY STATE WHAT WE EXPECT OF OUR AGENCIES AND DOCUMENT IT INTO LAWS. AND NOWHERE IN OUR LAWS DOES DSS NOR THE PRESIDENCY HAVE THE RIGHT TO ARREST JUDGES IN THE MANNER WITH WHICH IT WAS DONE.

Period.............it simply a matter of law and not wild guesses or assumptions.

Try getting a PhD or devote your time to research matters of significance within a research community.

It will help you understand perspectives and vantage points

I can see you don't even know how to look up definitions.
You must be a child to have said that june 12 crisis did not destabilise the country.
I will revisit your case when you grow up.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘I Leave Edo Assembly Crisis To Benin Ancestors’ – Oba Ewuare / Robert Clarke: Death Sentence Won’t Stop Corruption, It’s In Blood Of Nigerians / Osinbajo: 300,000 Nigerians Have Already Benefited From FG’s Survival Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.