Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption (420 Views)

Ugandan Young Man Jailed After Professing Love For Female Lawmaker. Photos / Ugandan Lawmaker Put Up For Sale On OLX After Urinating On Govt Property (photos / China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2016
Chinese officials announced [press release] Sunday that 70-year-old former legislator Bai Enpei has been sentenced to death for his part in taking bribes. The announcement comes as the government has continued its anti-graft campaign speared by President Xi Jingping to root out any and all corrupt practices in the region. The court found that the former legislator had not only participated in bribes but had also obtained excessive assets allegedly as a result. Bai received [AP report] a suspended death sentence, which will convert to life in prison with good behavior, a ban from holding political offices as well as a forfeiture of all his assets.

The ongoing graft campaign has become a contentious civil rights issue as many criticize the campaign for targeting political activist. A southern China court in September sentenced [JURIST report] three prominent labor organizers to suspended prison terms, almost nine months after they were arrested during a crackdown on civic organizations working outside of the Communist Party. Noted human rights lawyer Xia Lin was sentenced [JURIST report] to 12 years in prison by a Chinese court also in September. Xia, who famously represented many Chinese dissidents including artist Ai Weiwei, was arrested and accused of fraudulently obtaining more than a million dollars to take care of gambling debts. - By Miracle Jones
http://www.jurist.org/paperchase/2016/10/china-court-sentences-former-lawmaker-to-death-for-corruption.php

*modified*
I think we need a law like this in Nigeria.
Re: China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption by yeyeboi(m): 1:06pm On Oct 10, 2016
Ok
Re: China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption by EdCure: 1:09pm On Oct 10, 2016
While Nigerians celebrate and defend theirs.

5 Likes

Re: China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption by donphilopus: 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
EdCure:
While Nigerians across the Niger celebrate and defend theirs.

@bold, added!

They even support the ones outside their region. They term it witch-hunt!

1 Like

Re: China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption by kingui(m): 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
if Nigeria can just cut not borrow a leaf I think that would be good.
Re: China Court Sentences Former Lawmaker To Death For Corruption by ObaKlaz: 1:32pm On Oct 10, 2016
What's the problem with these joyless Mods? You drop a comment that's not even remotely offensive, next they yank it off like that! Seriously, you Mods must have some complex issues! You may ban me all you want, it won't move a nerve on me; I've been a guest on Nairaland since 2009 and only created an account recently. I have a life and a lot going for me outside here: you should ban me from that too! Joyless beings!

(1) (Reply)

America Legalized Homosexuality/sodomy To Shield Pedophiles Among Its Elites. / #uselections: Black Church Burnt Down, Arsonists Spray "Vote Trump" On Wall / Donald Trump Appoints Nigerian, Bayo Ogunlesi Into His Economic Advisory Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.