Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing (25411 Views)

Save 20% To 50% On Housing With Manual Interlocking Hydraform Red Bricks Machine / Ambode To Introduce Compulsory Insurance Policy For All Buildings In Lagos / Prices Of Apartments Of The Lagos State Housing Mortgage Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by mrschianna: 9:09am On Oct 11, 2016
Good
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by wiloy2k8(m): 9:19am On Oct 11, 2016
People would cry. People don't really understand this things
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by smashad(m): 9:24am On Oct 11, 2016
debbie:
As good and nice as it sounds...i doubt if it will be implemented or sustained.
We keep on dishing out laws and orders that are not enforced.
Unless you are talking about the government housing project,but not those landlords that have made themselves lords over their tenants.

Demanding money left and right,making unnecessary and wicked increment with nothing to show for it.
A house that its value is not changed,the rent keeps going up.....if you ask them ,they will tell you it is their sweat.

Till date landlords collect 2years rent...some are even agitating for 3 years- afterall if you cant pay you pack out of his house.

Before the government goes ahead,i need to ask why there is no law working effectively....these days there's so much lawlessness in Lagos.

anyway most of you making these laws are landlords,living comfortably in your houses......so you have nothing to worry about. undecided undecided undecided

remind me again..why r de called landlords
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by stephnie44(f): 9:37am On Oct 11, 2016
ourema:
This is only possible for government owned properties. I think the government should ensure that privately owned homes should abide to the policy.
How I wish homes in Port Harcourt will adopt this law
if ur dad have like 5 buildings and tenants r payin per month...ow u go feel?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by moufan: 9:37am On Oct 11, 2016
ambode is always coming out with noble innovations.nice one mr governor
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by Excuzeme: 9:48am On Oct 11, 2016
IgboGoat:
In a bid to cushion the effects of economic recession in the country, the Lagos State Government has perfected plans to introduce monthly payment plan on its Home Ownership Mortgage Schemes popularly called Lagos HOMS across the State.

The State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, who stated this after embarking on an extensive inspection tour of projects across the State, said his administration has decided to scale up the rent-to-own policy by introducing monthly payment plan whereby people can pay monthly instead of being compelled to make a down payment of 30 percent of the total cost or pay for one year.

He said: “We believe strongly that people should be able to pay one month rent and live in our housing schemes. We don’t think in a recession, we should be having a situation where we allow people to come and buy when they don’t have money or to come and pay one year rent. We think the way to move forward is to allow these our younger ones to just pay one month deposit and pay one month rent and move into the houses and then more or less play up our rent-to-own scheme,” Governor Ambode said.

While speaking on the pocket-friendly initiatives of his administration on housing, Governor Ambode said the State Government has taken time to review its mortgage schemes vis-à-vis its financial flow, adding that many ongoing housing schemes have reached advanced stages of completion and that they would be rolled out in a matter of months.

The Governor, who inspected the Illubirin Housing Scheme in Lagos Island, said government, in partnership with private sector, is making arrangement to transform the scheme into a live, work and play environment.

“In addition to that, the other housing projects that we are doing are on course and I want to assure Lagosians that in the next few months, we will be seeing a whole lot of housing units being rolled out,” the Governor said.

On his part, the State’s Commissioner for Housing, Mr. Gbolahan Lawal, debunked insinuation that the Illubirin Housing Scheme had been abandoned, saying that government was rather working to improve on the project which is sitting on 28 hectares.

He recalled how the project started under the administration of former Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu with sand filling, while his predecessor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola carried on with the project.

He said: “Now, under the administration of Governor Ambode, we want to scale it up and the idea is to make this place a live, play and work environment and so we are projecting 500 units instead of the 1,260 that the scheme was formerly designed for. We believe government funds should be deployed to some other sites that we are working on and to also come up with new designs and new buildings and so instead of government to recapitalize this project, we are working with the private sector and the investor that has come up is investing about $500 million.”

According to Lawal, about five hectares of the Illubirin scheme would be dedicated to leisure, while there would also be commercial activities, as well as flyover which would be constructed.
He said the State Government is already working with the Federal Ministry of Works and the Ministry of Waterfront in that regard, adding that the flyover would be on another phase.

He also said that all the phases of the scheme are expected to span between five to seven years, but that there would be a lot of improvement on the project before May 2019.
Governor Ambode also inspected the ongoing construction of a lay-by and slip road into Isheri Olowora at Berger bus-stop.

http://thenationonlineng.net/recession-lagos-introduce-monthly-payment-housing/

So, it is taking you Clowns over 17years (since Tinubu in 1999) to build 1260 units of housing?
Are the people supposed to be living outside for 17years, if they were waiting on those houses?

Now, you want to scale in DOWN.... to 500, from 1260 units?

This Ambode sef, Omo-Baba is not surprising. undecided undecided
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by 2n2k(m): 9:51am On Oct 11, 2016
volo112:
it is not meant for all houses. lagos HOMS IS a project by the lagos state project (Home Ownership Mortgage Schemes).

The State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, who stated this after embarking on an extensive inspection tour of projects across the State, said his administration has decided to scale up the rent-to-own policy by introducing monthly payment plan whereby people can pay monthly instead of being compelled to make a down payment of 30 percent of the total cost or pay for one year

He said: “We believe strongly that people should be able to pay one month rent and live in our housing schemes. We don’t think in a recession, we should be having a situation where we allow people to come and buy when they don’t have money or to come and pay one year rent. We think the way to move forward is to allow these our younger ones to just pay one month deposit and pay one month rent and move into the houses and then more or less play up our rent-to-own scheme,” Governor Ambode said.

this is a good initiative by the govt for its housing schemes. this is not meant for the houses built by residents. it is meant for the ones built by Govt. under the lagos homs project

Many people don't take time to understand the nitty-gritty of a concept. I doubt if The Nation reporter himself understood what he reported on hence the misleading headline. Why not "Lagos to introduce monthly repayment by its housing scheme beneficiaries" instead of making it sounds like rents are now payable monthly by tenants in lagos state

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by midehi2(f): 9:53am On Oct 11, 2016
who has the time to be paying monthly, stress and disturbances from the landlords, 3-6 months is better, atleast you rest assured no one will come knocking at your door frequently, moreover a room which suppose be 2,000 might be 5,000
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by uzolexis(f): 10:14am On Oct 11, 2016
leeqx5:
I wouldn't support this

every country I have been to/lived within and outside Africa, rent is paid monthly. Nigeria is the only exception I have seen.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by uzolexis(f): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2016
stephnie44:
if ur dad have like 5 buildings and tenants r payin per month...ow u go feel?

Rent should be paid monthly, that's how it is done in saner climes. Nigeria is the exception not the norm.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by HoneyBee23(f): 10:29am On Oct 11, 2016
Keneking:
One hopes that the minimum rent is not N200,000 per month, then no hope for the common man.

Useless government. cry cry

Chai,you sound bitter,Lagos state government is trying tho cry
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 11, 2016
Very possible. In fact if lagos state can keep this up and develop an efficient system, private developers may follow suit. Me I prefer yearly payment tho. I dont want to be freaking out every month abeg
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by ezemme(m): 11:03am On Oct 11, 2016
Nice one the governor... I wouldn't like to doubt the implementation and completion of project, but I will doubt the affordability to the average lagosians
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by cbjonstage(m): 11:12am On Oct 11, 2016
HOW DID THIS YEARLY PAYMENT SET OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE...?

i remembered when i was a little child, my dad always pay his rentage on monthly basis. the period i started paying house rent, it was a hard experience even when we were three (3) allotted to pay 300k for a bedroom and sitting room
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by metallisc(m): 11:46am On Oct 11, 2016
debbie:
As good and nice as it sounds...i doubt if it will be implemented or sustained.
We keep on dishing out laws and orders that are not enforced.
Unless you are talking about the government housing project,but not those landlords that have made themselves lords over their tenants.

Demanding money left and right,making unnecessary and wicked increment with nothing to show for it.
A house that its value is not changed,the rent keeps going up.....if you ask them ,they will tell you it is their sweat.

Till date landlords collect 2years rent...some are even agitating for 3 years- afterall if you cant pay you pack out of his house.

Before the government goes ahead,i need to ask why there is no law working effectively....these days there's so much lawlessness in Lagos.

anyway most of you making these laws are landlords,living comfortably in your houses......so you have nothing to worry about. undecided undecided undecided

babe no worry, we too go soon become landlord! cool cheesy
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by ozoemenaca: 12:42pm On Oct 11, 2016
This is a Governor who has the interest of the electorate at heart. God Bless Governor Ambode for this wise decision
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2016
I have been thinking, will i ever anytime in my life expect something from govt? will i ever think govt will do it? even if i see her doing it, i see it as if she is doing voluntary job like foundations do the time for that kind had gone long time ago. if they like they sell the whole country 500billion naira, if they like they pakage lagos in a container rap it and send it to a new president in another country as present. What i have not stop doing is being a good citezen to the nation, if i stop that then my own terrorism will have billions followers, however i have never seen anything that worth my terrorism
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by Mrtesso: 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2016
ourema:
This is only possible for government owned properties. I think the government should ensure that privately owned homes should abide to the policy.

I share ur sentiments. Unfortunately, the government presiding over Port Harcourt is busy crafting inefficacious schemes and promulgating extraneous laws to extort money from residents. Some miscreants with ID cards came with a notice insinuating that property owners who have long built and lived in their houses will start paying certain levies to the government for ownership of property...when its obvious that the state is now redundant and unproductive. angry

If by chance u question the retards as to the reason why the taxes re required, their simple response is that "Lagos state thrives on taxes." Rivers State needs deliverance from mediocrity.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by stephnkem22: 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2016
APC save us from this ressession ooo

Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by eshic(f): 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2016
fellow nairalanders,make una no rush comment until he implement am.till then, I comment my reserve
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by kingkenOkus16(m): 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2016
1. What then happens if the tenant can't afford the next months rent ?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by 1kinggy(m): 6:32pm On Oct 11, 2016
ourema:

PH LANDLORDS have inherited greed of Ikwerre land owners, they'd fight such laws with their last drop of blood.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by AfroBlue(m): 6:55pm On Oct 11, 2016
his predecessor formulated the blueprint.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by Josmila(m): 1:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
Keneking:
One hopes that the minimum rent is not N200,000 per month, then no hope for the common man.

Useless government. cry cry

Sometimes one is tempted to think some of you reason with your nails.. always sounding bitter to say the least
Re: Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing by Fisfrank(m): 7:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
That's how is done in Benin Republic they pay monthly be it Government and non government it's the law over there

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" / Buy Original Floor And Wall Tiles(spanish Tiles) / Awka, Eagles Hill And Ngozika Extension-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.