Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,964 members, 7,952,890 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:52 AM

Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production (643 Views)

Cashless Policy Is Extortion By CBN, Say Ilorin Traders, Residents / CBN Cashless Policy Is Going Live On April 1st 2017 / Nationwide Implementation Of The Cashless Policy. Is This Fair On Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by ariesbull: 1:44am On Oct 11, 2016
Somewhere in the Eastern Nigeria , it is said that if you haven’t been hungry for a certain time ,you won’t be smart and develop ways to feed yourself . But how true is this statement for the generality of Nigerians ,time will tell . Rice, a staple in Nigeria and the coveted food for any celebration in Nigeria. About months ago ,the price if this mom staple has increased to over 100℅ , a 50kg was selling about N9,000 but as of last month (September) it jumped to N22,000. When the Nigerian customs announced the lifting of ban on this commodity , Nigerians heaved a sigh of relieve. How this trade policy will affect the economy vis a vis the much touted agro revolution and diversified economy has been an issue of debate.

Economic watchers have said that the lifting of the ban on rice has rubbished the government moves on agricultural revolution. States like Anambra , Ebonyi, Ogun and other states have invested heavily in rice production. This ranges from fertilisers, research on disease resistance species and rice mills. These investment runs in million and with this lifting of ban in rice importation , these investment are almost dead with little return on the investments(ROI). This is because the local rice producers can’t and don’t have the capacity to compete with foreign rice producers that have developed comparative advantage on rice production and at the same time not their various countries subsidies which the local producers don’t enjoy.

It had been reported that Nigeria rice importation runs in billions of dollars annually. Within the time if review 2013 – 2015) Nigeria imported rice worth over 10 billions Naira and 300 metric tonnes. This is the money that the country is losing in capital flight . Rice production has the capacity to generate billions and when you consider the value chain such as milling, packaging ,marketing and exportation of local rice to other countries, you will understand the impact of this policy and how it has affected this industry adversely. In a nutshell. We are losing jobs to the rice production nations like Thailand, Vietnam, USA and other. We keep them in business of rice production while we run ourselves out of business...https://etimesafrica./2016/10/10/lifting-the-ban-on-rice-killing-local-mills-in-one-swoop/
Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by Sibrah: 2:23am On Oct 11, 2016
I support the removal of the ban. Let the expensive foreign alternative and its local rival seat on the shelves of stores and slug it out. The local rice is guaranteed to come out on top. With dollar rate going up it will be hard for foreign rice to remain as attractive as it used to be.
This is one advantage of a devalued Naira free from the indirect forex subsidy.
Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by ariesbull: 2:34am On Oct 11, 2016
Sibrah:
I support the removal of the ban. Let the expensive foreign alternative and its local rival seat on the shelves of stores and slug it out. The local rice is guaranteed to come out on top. With dollar rate going up it will be hard for foreign rice to remain as attractive as it used to be.
This is one advantage of a devalued Naira free from the indirect forex subsidy.

Nice one

1 Like

Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by Sibrah: 2:44am On Oct 11, 2016
ariesbull:

Nice one
After the local option has beaten its foreign counterpart in the local market it will go on to foreign market and attempt to beat the foreign rice and possibly earn the much needed dollar with which to buy/import toothpick and Brazilian hair.

1 Like

Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by Opharhe: 4:27am On Oct 11, 2016
Sibrah:
After the local option has beaten its foreign counterpart in the local market it will go on to foreign market and attempt to beat the foreign rice and possibly earn the much needed dollar with which to buy/import toothpick and Brazilian hair.
Import Toothpick and Brazilian hair? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by villareal15(m): 4:34am On Oct 11, 2016
Naija man, too bad.
Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by davids202(m): 11:46am On Oct 11, 2016
Let there be a fair level playing ground for all. I mean why will locally produced rice from the east sell in the east for 18k is it because the foreign rice spiked to all time high at 22k I think our greed in this country should be looked into, u mentioned about subsidy I agree with u that developed countries place that on some of there agric products but at same time it's been transported and duty paid on them how come they now rub shoulder with the locally produced rice abi dem still pay duty inside naija. You made a point in all but I think the lifting of ban is a good thing like I said let there be a level playing ground, lets go to the market if I see the foreign rice and the price is high and I see the local rice the price is considerably good the I will make a choice based on my pocket.
Re: Rice Ban: Why This Government Policy Is Killing Rice Domestic Production by ariesbull: 9:19am On Oct 12, 2016
There should not be a level playing ground. The local industry like Ofada rice, Abikiliki Rice and Lokoja Rice mills must be protected.

Thats is protectionism and that what government do
davids202:
Let there be a fair level playing ground for all. I mean why will locally produced rice from the east sell in the east for 18k is it because the foreign rice spiked to all time high at 22k I think our greed in this country should be looked into, u mentioned about subsidy I agree with u that developed countries place that on some of there agric products but at same time it's been transported and duty paid on them how come they now rub shoulder with the locally produced rice abi dem still pay duty inside naija. You made a point in all but I think the lifting of ban is a good thing like I said let there be a level playing ground, lets go to the market if I see the foreign rice and the price is high and I see the local rice the price is considerably good the I will make a choice based on my pocket.

(1) (Reply)

NIL / How Can I Source For 15million To Start Business? / Are You Based In Ph And Need Yams?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.