Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,661 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report (20829 Views)

Seven Banks Fail Cbn’s Stress Test / In The Wake Of A Wave Of Fintechs, Banks Are Getting Personal / TSA Breach: FG Withdraws Suit Against Seven Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by dre11(m): 8:21am On Oct 11, 2016
Oyetunji Abioye with agency report

A stress test conducted by a Dubai-based international investment bank, Arqaam Capital, has indicated that seven Nigerian banks are undercapitalised to the tune of N1tn ($3.2bn).

It also reported that two other banks were close to being insolvent.

The investment bank said the Nigeria’s banking industry “is experiencing a full-blown financial crisis” as failed fiscal and monetary policies had led to a credit crunch.

The stress test identified the undercapitalised banks as First Bank of Nigeria, Unity Bank Plc, Diamond Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc, FCMB Group Plc, Sterling Bank Plc and Fidelity Bank Plc.

In an emailed note on Monday, analysts at the investment bank and brokerage, Jaap Meijer and Tarek Sleiman, said capital adequacy ratios in Nigerian banks were set to worsen because of the depreciation of the naira and huge non-performing loans, Bloomberg reported.

“Our acid test reveals seven undercapitalised banks” with a deficit of as much as N1tn ($3.2bn) in the financial system,” Meijer and Sleiman said.

“Unity Bank and Skye Bank are close to being insolvent, while lenders, FBN Holdings Plc and Sterling Bank Plc, will need a dilutive capital hike,” they added.

The affected banks reacted to the report on Monday, saying there was no iota of truth in the report.

The spokesman for First Bank, Mr. Babatunde Lasaki, said, “First Bank is not undercapitalised. We are still within the industry regulatory threshold. This is their opinion. Our position has been published in our half-year report; it is not the one from an investment bank or a speculative report. Our Q3 report will soon be published.”

Also reacting, a spokesman for Diamond Bank, Ikechukwu Mike Omeife, said, “Our bank is strong. Our capital-adequacy ratio and non-performing loans are within the statutory requirements.”

A top source at the Unity Bank said the bank was still meeting its obligations.

The source, who did not want to be quoted, said, “Our financial position has been enhanced. We have just moved our head office to Lagos in order to be closer to the market and retail market. All these strategic investment decisions have shored up market confidence in the bank.”

Similarly, a top official of Skye Bank, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the bank was not close to being insolvent.

The source said the Central Bank of Nigeria had issued a statement, stating that the bank was not distressed.

To create a capital buffer, Sterling Bank is planning to issue a N27bn bond and “if the interest rate looks better, we will do it this year,” the Sterling Bank Chief Financial Officer, Abubakar Suleiman, told Bloomberg.

The spokesman for FCMB, Mr. Diran Olojo, could not comment immediately.

Fidelity Bank did not give any response on the development.

http://punchng.com/seven-banks-undercapitalised-says-report/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by GogetterMD(m): 8:25am On Oct 11, 2016
3 of my banks are on the list. I think it's time to build a vault at home undecided

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by menix(m): 8:47am On Oct 11, 2016
Chisos!!!

Even First Bank.

It's high time they stop calling UNITY Supermarket a BANK...

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by ijustdey: 9:06am On Oct 11, 2016
if 7 out of almost 25 banks in the nation did fail this test......

then I ask where is capitalisation that prof soludo did during his time and our financial institutions is really in a messy state for First bank to be mentioned in the list.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by kingphilip(m): 9:08am On Oct 11, 2016
Hmmmmm this news isn't palatable to the ears at all

I'll suggest to the bank even if they feel the findings are untrue, they should critically analyze their state because there might be something the investment bank saw that made them to be listed

It's time to get things right

2 Likes

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by qualityovenbake(m): 9:30am On Oct 11, 2016
Hmm First Bank and Diamond Bank

1 Like

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by pmc01(m): 11:39am On Oct 11, 2016
Hello,
I need a proper guide on how to wipe off Skye Bank from the market. I would like to take the bank down totally before the year runs out, as I have pledged to do.

My account has been frozen since Friday, for an issue that is no fault of mine, but the Bank's negligence.

I have taken the gentleman route since Friday going back and forth to get my account unfrozen, but my efforts have been frustrated so far and I have been rebuffed by their Staff, like I don't matter.

I have suffered considerable loss and damages since that Friday, as the money was meant for crucial purposes.

I have spoken with their Help Centre severally, but no solution seems to be in sight.

I need urgent help. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by kings09(m): 11:40am On Oct 11, 2016
Nawa oo. And our CBN has hidden dis info frm Nigerians. Everytin abt dis our govt is synonymous wit failure, why why why? And buhari is travelling for no reason or to visit a local hospital in Germany.

Make I go remove my money
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Okijajuju1(m): 11:40am On Oct 11, 2016
Time to go remove all my money from these Banks..

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 11, 2016
do we need to start withdrawing our money, I can see diamond bank there
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by grownaira: 11:42am On Oct 11, 2016
Hmmm.

Meanwhile, for your livestock feed production, pls contact us for your good quality soyabean cake and groundnut cake. Direct from factory. Good price.
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by UnknownT: 11:44am On Oct 11, 2016
GogetterMD:
3 of my banks are on the list. I think it's time to build a vault at home undecided
make DSS no pay you visit for night oh cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by maxwell767(m): 11:46am On Oct 11, 2016
grin

Nigeria is developing Backwards

grin

Maybe I should open a new acct with the IslamicBank.

I think that bank is escaping this recession grin

3 Likes

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by RichDad1(m): 11:46am On Oct 11, 2016
pmc01:
Hello,
I need a proper guide on how to wipe off Skye Bank from the market. I would like to take the bank down totally before the year runs out, as I have pledged to do.

My account has been frozen since Friday, for an issue that is no fault of mine, but the Bank's negligence.

I have taken the gentleman route since Friday going back and forth to get my account unfrozen, but my efforts have been frustrated so far and I have been rebuffed by their Staff, like I don't matter.

I have suffered considerable loss and damages since that Friday, as the money was meant for crucial purposes.

I have spoken with their Help Centre severally, but no solution seems to be in sight.

So if the Bank is down, you'll be able to get your money ? undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by ednut1(m): 11:47am On Oct 11, 2016
Zero pity because they abandoned real banking focusing on government free cheap money they use to buy tbill nd bonds, FX round tripping and oil sector . Now fowl yansh don open. The truth is with the kind of rot in every sector in nigeria, have lost hope for the country. Canada ewa fun mi ni visa grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by DrPrickson: 11:47am On Oct 11, 2016
Naija is finished.
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Sibrah: 11:49am On Oct 11, 2016
This a duplicate thread. Mynd44
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by TPAND(f): 11:49am On Oct 11, 2016
First Bank shocked shocked shocked shocked

How manage...
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Tyche(m): 11:49am On Oct 11, 2016
I know something is wrong with firstbank. Their questionable deductions/charges are getting out of hand.

1 Like

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by engrrichie92(m): 11:49am On Oct 11, 2016
the day access bank and GTBank enters such lists
then amma just build a giant kolo and be my own bank...#my two favorite banks
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by adwem2003(m): 11:53am On Oct 11, 2016
Wetin concern Dubai-based international investment bank with Nigerian bank?

2 Likes

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by ozoemenaca: 12:02pm On Oct 11, 2016
What do you expect in an economy that is harsh as ours where incompetent government is issuing unnecessary policies

1 Like

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Onegai(f): 12:02pm On Oct 11, 2016
This may cause a run on the banks
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Frank3n2(m): 12:10pm On Oct 11, 2016
Wow!! shocked
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by joanana(f): 12:13pm On Oct 11, 2016
GogetterMD:

Hahahaha haha grin angry grin grin

1 Like

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by sauceEEP(m): 12:14pm On Oct 11, 2016
This report is capable of stirring up panic withdrawals...
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by bettercreature(m): 12:17pm On Oct 11, 2016
Use sky bank at your own risk,that bank is the most incompetent bank in africa

1 Like

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by yomi007k(m): 12:17pm On Oct 11, 2016
Tnk God union n access nor dey.....

1 Like

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 11, 2016
engrrichie92:
the day access bank and GTBank enters such lists
then amma just build a giant kolo and be my own bank...#my two favorite banks
Now that some of are banks are going down there and even before this was exposed many of them have already said they are retrenching their many staffers in LQ. Here are what will happen 1) Some of the staffers will be looking for a way to steal customers' money at the end of the year many customers will lose their money to to the staffers 2)The high rank officials will take big loan in the name of some customers but not having intension of remitting it 3)Lacadasical atitute agaist the banks property among the staffers will increase 4)lack of trust among the staffers 5) many customers will not trust their banks so they will be withdrawing bulks out of banking sector
Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by bigtt76(f): 12:28pm On Oct 11, 2016
Ask one of the judges for assistance ....they seem to have better clues doing this grin

GogetterMD:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seven Banks Are Undercapitalised - Arqaam Capital Report by Chukazu: 12:29pm On Oct 11, 2016
pmc01:
Hello,

from the report, they are already down, so hold your "piss"

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN To Launch N5000 Notes With Yar'adua's Head In September / Gt Bank Coins / Naira Drops To 313.5 As Dollar Shortage Persists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.