Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,045 members, 7,828,677 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal (22425 Views)

George Castro-Yankey Caught In Sex Scandal - VIDEO / Catholic Archbishop Meets Muslim Clerics At Jos Central Mosque (photo) / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Of COZA In Sex Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 03, 2009
^^ I wonder.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by letbe: 8:07pm On Nov 07, 2009
Please I'm begging everyone to respect the feelings and religious belongings of the other. We don't know the truth in this matter. And this is not a Muslim or a christian problem. There many Christians as well as Muslims that are good fearing. The net is not a place to rejoice over the problem of others. Who is just ?
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2009
letbe:

Please I'm begging everyone to respect the feelings and religious belongings of the other. We don't know the truth in this matter. And this is not a Muslim or a christian problem. There many Christians as well as Muslims that are good fearing. The net is not a place to rejoice over the problem of others. Who is just ?

No man is just. But it becomes a topic for discussion when he who poses to be an angel resumes his human nature. undecided
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 10, 2009
abeg the case should be thrown out of court.

sex scandal in nigeria?

oxymoron.

what about all the married men sleeping with everything in skirt.

single men nko? fanatical woman wrappers.

who are the hypocrites casting stones here?
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by olabowale(m): 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2009
Should a woman not defend womanhood? A person who says he is not going to have sex, declaring it as an oath (lol, the liar did not mean it. just like his trinity is not real), should have lowered his gaze around women! Whats an oath when you can even live it? Whats a God that does not have the power to be different from common man? Whats a God begging another God? I can go on for days on this alone.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 19, 2009
tpia.:

abeg the case should be thrown out of court.

sex scandal in nigeria?

oxymoron.

what about all the married men sleeping with everything in skirt.

single men nko? fanatical woman wrappers.

who are the hypocrites casting stones here?

Yeah it true but no one fored anyone to take a oath he cannot kee. well who is just?who has not sinned? No one lipsrsealed
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by IchieStan: 10:22pm On Nov 19, 2009
olabowale:

Should a woman not defend womanhood? A person who says he is not going to have sex, declaring it as an oath (lol, the liar did not mean it. just like his trinity is not real), should have lowered his gaze around women! Whats an oath when you can even live it? Whats a God that does not have the power to be different from common man? Whats a God begging another God? I can go on for days on this alone.

My brother, you seem to be so much beclouded by your so much hatred for Christianity that your right reasoning has taken a French leave. Man by nature is weak and those who make effort to uphold some virtue should be encouraged even when they make some mistakes and not turn them into objects of caricature. I think simple charity demands you sympathise with those in difficult moments. You seem to have been praying for the downfall of your neighbour. Remember, Love your neighbour as yourself.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by xxcarolxx(f): 3:14am On Nov 21, 2009
I would believe the posters story. Here in ireland the catholic church has been rocked to the core over child abuse cases dating back to the early 60's. The people who were abused took action against the catholic church. The way the church dealt with it was to move the priest to a different parish where he was free again to start abusing again. But finally the people who were abused are finally been listened to. I have watched a true movie called the boys of saint vincents it was horrific to watch.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by otokx(m): 11:39pm On Nov 21, 2009
These days one has to read and then advice himself. We can see that the woman herself is a product of a broken home. Can we possibly say that people who grow in an environment bereft of one parent are prone to such activities. Generally the religious leaders have an undue influence on their followers and goes to show the real sophistication of our society.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by blackshack: 9:20am On Nov 24, 2009
Come to think of it guys? Somebody said prosecution by the law. come on. Why? 2 persons went into a relationship together mutualy beneficting (lets say it really happened, not a frabecated lie) then what would the law be prosecuting any of them for even though 1 party is a clergy(An Arch Bishop sworn to celibacy). It is not a law to be celibate just as u dont break the law when u break it. Priests are men and we must always be tempted. I dont blame the Arch bishop. i blame the lady. Why? Simple! She tempted him otherwise he wouldn't just walk up to her and ask her to and now sometin is not favouring her anymore, she decides to open her mouth for 1 sole purpose. Embarass him and disgrace the other party. Sometin we should ask ourselves is why now? why not in the last 15 years wen it started. She definitely was not raped so why scream help after all the Enjoyment.
My comment are assuming the allegations are true.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nezan(m): 10:33am On Nov 24, 2009
What is more damning? adultery or paedophilia?
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by joysucess: 12:47pm On Dec 20, 2009
Such is not suprising.weather,true or false the truth is the way catholic priests exploit ladies,girls is alarming.let s stop covering dis priests.God will not allow us go thru d odds of dis life,even wen ure an xtian u wont hesitate to beg from a muslim,cos all dats on ur mind will just be for ur probs to be solved.my dear people im catholic only God knows hw genuie dis story is, but catholic priests today ve children,priests exploit girls who go to them for help.i say it here public a priest once wanted me to go to bed with him cos i needed school fees i refused and he never gave d money.today i bless God for my life cos anytime he see me nw he s ashamed.dis not blackmail.the catholic bishops of nigeria shld find a way to stop dis mess.some girls see it as prestidge dating priests,i knw of a priest in Ibadan Archdiocese who after 2months ordination a lady showed up with a baby boy who is d priest replical,no need for DNA to be told d priest is d father but all d church could do was to cover dis up,compensiate the girl s family and withdrew d priest faculty and posted him to a tripical village were he s attitude is even worse.just of recent he was reported by his parish priest about the way a lady has permanently been staying in d parish house wt him,d lady was invited and d outcome of dis whole mess is not pleasing.why cant dis priest be denied and finally wthdraw priesthood from him?no one is a saint but,u go willingly without being forced and take d oath of celibacy with a right state of mind and barely afterwards girls and rev sisters become, ahhhhhhhhh rev fathers ur own too much.i nw wat am saying.who re u deceiving?sure not the people of GOD, AND DO U KNW WAT?GOD CAN NEVER BE DECEIVED!!!!!!A priest who just finish having sex with a lady cuns to the altar to say MASS d lady still waiting for him to cum back ummmm ummm ummmm GOD NO BE LIKE MAN!
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by joysucess: 12:57pm On Dec 20, 2009

MY BRODA NO ONE IS REJOICING OVER DIS, INFACT ITS SHAMEFUL TO WE CATHOLICS AND PAINFUL.WE HEAR ONLY A FEW OF THOUSANDS OF DIS TYPE OF ATTITUDE.RELIGIOUS TOO SHLD RESPECT DEMSELVES.IM NOT SAYING THE STORY IS REAL OR FAKE BUT,WAT OF D ONES VE SEEN AND EXPERIENCED, PRIESTS SHOULD CAUTION DESLVES IM NOT CONDEMING I NO DIS
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by PaulBerry: 5:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
My Fellow Nairalanders,

I am always taken aback when i hear Christians and Muslims quarrel over issues that we are not suppose to, i was expecting that some of you will do some research before laying some accusation on the christian doctrine. Just as you Muslims condemn any wrong doing by your brothers so also we the Christians do when such things are been done. The church will not tolerate and will never tolerate any immorality neither from its ministers nor laity.

While i want to thank you all for contributing thus far, it shows you have the love of your people, i also want to beg that we should learn to concentrate more on our similarities rather than our differences.

Now let me come in this way, the moment you sign a contract with God to serve him you have also sign another contract not to serve the evil of this world and they will continue to hunt you until either you give up or die been a saint. Most great men in the bible fell into such temptation and some swam in it.

A little jist on Bishop Burke as far as i know, the majority tribe in Warri, Delta state has been in logger head with the church on the issue of a foreign bishop to the extent that bishop Burke sister when he was about to be made the bishop of warri diocese was murdered by her own cook as a sign to warn him (Bishop Burke) not to come to warri diocese as a bishop, but he was able to scale through it. Since then my fellow Nlanders, it has not been easy for this guy. I am not saying he molested the lady or not but what i want you to do is to look into this and see how the story is been fabricated, i know in every rumor there is an element of truth. If that lady is your wife would you have allowed her to do such a thing?

From her narration it was just to obvious my people are at work again, but to their greatest disappointment the church has refused to give them their tribal bishop and to add to it this new bishop has refused to stay in the church.

Let me stop here as i get your reactions.
Finally, Please both Muslims and Christians we must not insult each others. God bless you all.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Abuzola1(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2010
Christians are pedophiles
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2010
Paul Berry:

My Fellow Nairalanders,

I am always taken aback when i hear Christians and Muslims quarrel over issues that we are not suppose to, i was expecting that some of you will do some research before laying some accusation on the christian doctrine. Just as you Muslims condemn any wrong doing by your brothers so also we the Christians do when such things are been done. The church will not tolerate and will never tolerate any immorality neither from its ministers nor laity.

While i want to thank you all for contributing thus far, it shows you have the love of your people, i also want to beg that we should learn to concentrate more on our similarities rather than our differences.

Now let me come in this way, the moment you sign a contract with God to serve him you have also sign another contract not to serve the evil of this world and they will continue to hunt you until either you give up or die been a saint. Most great men in the bible fell into such temptation and some swam in it.

A little jist on Bishop Burke as far as i know, the majority tribe in Warri, Delta state has been in logger head with the church on the issue of a foreign bishop to the extent that bishop Burke sister when he was about to be made the bishop of warri diocese was murdered by her own cook as a sign to warn him (Bishop Burke) not to come to warri diocese as a bishop, but he was able to scale through it. Since then my fellow Nlanders, it has not been easy for this guy. I am not saying he molested the lady or not but what i want you to do is to look into this and see how the story is been fabricated, i know in every rumor there is an element of truth. If that lady is your wife would you have allowed her to do such a thing?

From her narration it was just to obvious my people are at work again, but to their greatest disappointment the church has refused to give them their tribal bishop and to add to it this new bishop has refused to stay in the church.

Let me stop here as i get your reactions.
Finally, Please both Muslims and Christians we must not insult each others. God bless you all.

hmmmmmm

i did suspect as much.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Kabikala(m): 2:46pm On Jun 02, 2010
This is an update on this sexual abuse saga:

http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-religion/2524930/posts

Irish-born archbishop resigns (Benin City, Nigeria)
Irish Times ^ | 5/31/2010 | EOIN BURKE-KENNEDY

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:47:30 AM by markomalley

Pope Benedict has accepted the resignation of the Irish-born archbishop of Benin city in Nigeria following allegations of sexual abuse against him.

Archbishop Richard Burke, a member of the St Patrick’s Missionary Society based in Co Wicklow, said the reason for his resignation was his failure to observe his vow of celibacy.

In a statement issued today through the Irish Catholic journal, Dr Burke said he was deeply ashamed of his behaviour.

“I have caused great pain, hurt and bewilderment to those around me,” he said.

The archbishop stepped down from his position as the city’s archbishop last year after an allegation of abuse from a 40-year-old woman was made against him.

Dolores Atwood alleged she was abused by the archbishop when she was 14 years old, and a patient in a hospital at Warri, Nigeria, in April 1983.

Dr Burke has admitted having a sexual relationship with Mrs Atwood but is adamant that she was over 18 at the time.

“On January 6th, 2009, I was officially informed by the Society Leader of St Patrick's Missionary Society that an allegation had been made to him by Mrs Dolores Atwood that I had sexually abused her when she was a child,” Archbishop Burke said in his statement.

“I responded immediately that I have never, ever, in my life – in any way – sexually abused a child. This is still my position. It is the truth,”

Dr Burke insisted he and Mrs Atwood insisted had “caring relationship” that began when he was 40 and she was 21.

“In the last 20 years, Mrs Atwood and I met on seven occasions. On three of those occasions our relationship was again expressed sexually. This was entirely inappropriate behaviour and it is something for which I am truly sorry,” he said.

However, in an interviewlast October, Mrs Atwood claimed she was sexually abused by the archbishop when she was a child. She also alleged he continued to have a sexual relationship with her as recently as 2003.

Ms Atwood, who now lives in Nova Scotia, Canada, said she believed she was “manipulated and controlled’’ as a teenager. She said she eventually confessed the relationship to her husband because she was wracked with guilt. She wrote to the Vatican and the society reporting the allegations.

Dr Burke (60), from Clonmel, Co Tipperary, was ordained a priest for St Patrick’s Missionary Society, in 1975. He was ordained a bishop in 1997, and installed as Archbishop of Benin, Nigeria, in 2008.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Undispu3rd(m): 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2010
Any same person who doubt the sexual activities of catholic priests and the so-called pastors and pastor (Mrs/miss) is a real hater of the TRUTH.

I have witness countless of priests and other (fake) men of God whose activities on bed is much more ferocious than the X-rated movies from the west.

Granted they are all humans, they should come out to wreck evil in the name of their father the Devil. Enough of lies, deceit, stealing and killing.

Their preaching = lies, appearance=deceit, congregation's money= looted, impregnated lover= baby aborted(killing) 

MAKE UNA SHINE UNA EYES ABEG MY PEOPULU
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by topkin(m): 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2010
shocked Let's call a spade a spade, what is wrong is wrong, no sugar-coating it! It's embarrassing to him, his family, all who look up to him and all Catholics, which i am proudly one! But does it mean all Catholic Priests are like that? Certainly not! That will be a Fallacy of Hasty Generalization. Do we really judge him? Let's leave that for God!

I condemn vehemently what he has done cos these are men of God that we are supposed to look up to. . . . such stories really break my heart! sad God help us all! embarassed
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Lady2(f): 9:32pm On Jun 05, 2010
If the public face of Christianity, a notable reverend cant keep his fly closed, while pretending to be celebated, what do we expect from others, except free will intimacy of anything goes, as long as you believe in the "ghostly" crucifixion, etc?

If the public face of Islam are terrorists shouldn't we conclude that muslims are terrorists and that Islam is definitely not a religion from God?
Be careful not to sound like a fool, your logic can be used against you.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Lady2(f): 9:36pm On Jun 05, 2010
top_kin:

shocked Let's call a spade a spade, what is wrong is wrong, no sugar-coating it! It's embarrassing to him, his family, all who look up to him and all Catholics, which i am proudly one! But does it mean all Catholic Priests are like that? Certainly not! That will be a Fallacy of Hasty Generalization. Do we really judge him? Let's leave that for God!

I condemn vehemently what he has done cos these are men of God that we are supposed to look up to. . . . such stories really break my heart! sad God help us all! embarassed

My thoughts exactly. I'd have more respect for anti-catholics if they used more logic, but then again they won't be anti-catholic if they used logic.

Anyway, all this problem comes form people who are not supposed to be Priests becoming Priests. We have a really high unemployment rate in Nigeria and therefore people are looking for ways to make a buck. So these men are entering the Priesthood looking for a meal. It would be better if they could be honest with themselves and leave the Priesthood, which they can do. But they want the benefit of the Church, so really the Church has become the victim, and they are causing a great wound to the bride of Christ.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by ngcath(f): 11:07pm On Jun 05, 2010
~Lady~:
But they want the benefit of the Church, so really the Church has become the victim, and they are causing a great wound to the bride of Christ.

Spot on.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by seyibrown(f): 11:12am On Aug 04, 2010
Anyone in a position of authority or guardianship who takes advantage of a child/vulnerable person in their care should not be excused at all. She was 14 when it started; what did she know? It's a shame she did not make sure her sister was kept miles away from him knowing what he did with her when she was younger.

We need to talk about sexual abuse and expose the perpetrators so that others don't fall victim!
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by ChristaD(f): 9:34am On Oct 28, 2011
Whether it is true or not, both of them committed a crime. How can she be so vulgar with this kind of topic. It's like telling the whole world that she cheated on her husband by continuously communicating with her past-lover with amorous conversations. It isn't actually the first time that priests and other Catholic servants we're involved in crimes. In Spain, up to 300,000 infant Spanish babies were stolen from their parents and distributed to households for the past five decades. I read this here: Catholic Church stole Spanish babies, resold them. The Catholic Church apparently took as many as 300,000 infants from their parents, according to a new BBC 2 Television documentary. The documentary, named “Spain's Taken Babies,” recounts tales of parents who were told that their kids were deceased.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Bunnatex(m): 11:12am On Oct 28, 2011
He was just a victim of circumstance. If just succumbed to the woes of the devil. But it doesn't make others bad.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by Nobody: 11:41am On May 01, 2012
i agree with the first speaker. after getting married both of you still exchanged phone calls and by what u are saying u enjoyed the phone calls, maybe his' talks is always arousing you.
you became annoyed not because he was doing it with other girls but because that girl now became your sister. emm! did i sense jealousy here?
there is no need to attend a counselling class for molestatation but rather a counselling class for loving your marriage is what i recommend for your.
As for Rev Fr Burke, if what the lady is saying is the truth and if you know you are committing sin in ur mission i will suggest you leave the priesthood and get married if you can't withstand the pressure anymore.\
IT IS NOT A FORCE TO BE A PRIEST.
you can get married and still serve in the church. Paul said "if you know you CAN'T bear being single, get MARRIED'". STOP DISGRACING THE NAME OF THE CHURCH, We shouldn't let ourselves to be the devil that wants to prevail against the church.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Of Benin City In Serious Sex Scandal by gbutustic(m): 5:34pm On May 02, 2012
The issue of Catholic Priest and sexual immorality is an old story, they should be allowed to marry to avoid a general disgrace in future.
I vividly remember when i was a cyclist,i had this contract of caring the catholic (not one)priests girl friends from and to their houses any time they need their sexual services. I will buy the bear, the suya and carry their babes for them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Father's Sister Is A WITCH / Gloria Bamiloye Celebrates Her 55th Birthday (Photos) / My Message Is Not For Everybody - Enoch Adeboye Responds To Critics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.