Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? (7025 Views)

For How Long Shall We Be Deceived By Religion / What Shall We Be Doing In Heaven? Singing Singing Singing Uhm! / Shall We Continue In Sin That Grace May Abound? - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:09pm On Oct 11, 2016
According to Wikipedia , Pantheism is the belief that all of reality is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god .

Pantheists believe in a self existent cosmos . According to Pantheism , the universe exists for itself, without cause or purpose. Nothing existed before it that could have been its cause. Nothing exists outside it that could be the source of its purpose.

But why do Pantheists hold such beliefs ? Why do they deify the universe or the universal laws ?

Let's hear it from popular pantheists .

PastorAIO , stephenmorris , Sarassin , Immorttal etc

What led you to Pantheism ?

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
According to Wikipedia , Pantheism is the belief that all of reality is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god .

Pantheists believe in a self existent cosmos . According to Pantheism , the universe exists for itself, without cause or purpose. Nothing existed before it that could have been its cause. Nothing exists outside it that could be the source of its purpose.

But why do Pantheists hold such beliefs ? Why do they deify the universe or the universal laws ?

PastorAIO , stephenmorris , Sarassin , Immortal etc

do you want to troll me here with memes my brother(@kingebukasblog)
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2016
stephenmorris:
do you want to troll me here with memes my brother(@kingebukasblog)

I'm not here to troll , I guess PastorAIO thought same . I just want to have a very serious discussion . People can learn from you , you know . Think about the range of topics we can discuss that supposedly validates pantheism .

This is juicy bro . I'm excited and want to learn .

So what led you to pantheism ?
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 9:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
The only difference between Pantheist and Atheist is that Pantheist deify reality.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:08pm On Oct 11, 2016
4kings:
The only difference between Pantheist and Atheist is that Pantheist deify reality.

There are so many African Traditional Religions that are pantheistic nature or is mixed with polytheism . In Confucianism , the concept of Tiān expresses a form of pantheism.

I want to know if the totality of the universe is conscious- aware of the activities and processes - I mean it is deified isn't it ? What do you think?
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 10:57pm On Oct 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

There are so many African Traditional Religions that are pantheistic nature or is mixed with polytheism . In Confucianism , the concept of Tiān expresses a form of pantheism.

I want to know if the totality of the universe is conscious- aware of the activities and processes - I mean it is deified isn't it ? What do you think?
Yes, from a pantheistic view, the universe is conscious.
Since they believe all of reality is identical, then there(all parts of reality) must have certain constant characteristics.
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 12, 2016
So those two up there are pantheists
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 12:32am On Oct 12, 2016
Muafrika2:
Why u dey vex
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:39am On Oct 12, 2016
4kings:

Yes, from a pantheistic view, the universe is conscious.
Since they believe all of reality is identical, then there(all parts of reality) must have certain constant characteristics.

Interesting . So if the pantheist thinks the universe is conscious , then I don't think they agree that the constituents of the universe are products of chaotic processes .
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 12, 2016
4kings:

Why u dey vex
Not vexed
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:41am On Oct 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

While we wait for the pantheists , we decided to vivify the thread with interesting questions and answers
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 12:43am On Oct 12, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Interesting . So if the pantheist thinks the universe is conscious , then I don't think they agree that the constituents of the universe are products of chaotic processes .
Yes, to them the universe is eternal, just like the atheists.
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:48am On Oct 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

Not vexed

What's your view on pantheism ?
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 12:54am On Oct 12, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

What's your view on pantheism ?
I just learnt about it from the Op.

It sounds like a part truth. Everything has a spiritual aspect to it, I agree. But the other truth is that all of it is subject to a Spiritual authority/being. That's God.
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:57am On Oct 12, 2016
4kings:

Yes, to them the universe is eternal, just like the atheists.

But the atheists think that the constituents of the universe are products of chaotic natural processes . I don't think the pantheist shares that belief
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 1:09am On Oct 12, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

But the atheists think that the constituents of the universe are products of chaotic natural processes . I don't think the pantheist shares that belief
I get u, but i don't think they accept that belief, considering the universe to them is an inseparable part of a God.
So those processes are revered by them.
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:19am On Oct 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

I just learnt about it from the Op.

It sounds like a part truth. Everything has a spiritual aspect to it, I agree. But the other truth is that all of it is subject to a Spiritual authority/being. That's God.

Check this out and tell me what you think please https://www.nairaland.com/2973792/atheism-dead-logic-god-everything
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:25am On Oct 12, 2016
4kings:

I get u, but i don't think they accept that belief, considering the universe to them is an inseparable part of a God.
So those processes are revered by them.

And if you take a look at the second paragraph in the OP , that conclusion is conjectural . I mean considering that man knows little of the universe , so its more like a proposition that'd get invalidated by scientific findings . Already it has , science says the universe has a beginning and a cause while they believe that the universe is self existent .

I really want to know a pantheist's view on reincarnation , mysticism , astral travel etc . Where the heck are they ?!
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 1:31am On Oct 12, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

And if you take a look at the second paragraph in the OP , that conclusion is conjectural . I mean considering that man knows little of the universe , so its more like a proposition that'd get invalidated by scientific findings . Already it has , science says the universe has a beginning and a cause while they belief is self evident .

I really want to know a pantheist's view on reincarnation , mysticism , astral travel etc . Where the heck are they ?!
Ya, i'm waiting to see their contributions also.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 3:15pm On Oct 13, 2016
Any Pantheist in da house. ...
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:17pm On Oct 14, 2016
4kings:
Any Pantheist in da house. ...

That stephenmorris guy has been claiming pantheist upandan , now come make we talk , im don disappear undecided

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 6:22pm On Oct 14, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

That stephenmorris guy has been claiming pantheist upandan , now come make we talk , im don disappear undecided
stephenmorris where art thou?
Is your ideology based on FAITH or REASON?

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by CoolUsername: 6:51pm On Oct 14, 2016
Surprisingly good thread.

6 Likes

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 6:52pm On Oct 14, 2016
CoolUsername:
cheesy lol, any contribution?
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 14, 2016
4kings:

stephenmorris where art thou?
Is your ideology based on FAITH or REASON?
I dey busy, my ogas na , I need tp settle first lol
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by CoolUsername: 6:58pm On Oct 14, 2016
4kings:

cheesy lol, any contribution?

I came to learn. I don't really know the nitty-gritty of pantheism.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by 4kings: 7:01pm On Oct 14, 2016
stephenmorris:
I dey busy, my ogas na , I need tp settle first lol
Noted.
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:52pm On Oct 14, 2016
CoolUsername:

Thank you smiley

@ Your pic

grin

Calm down you haven't seen anything yet wink
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 12:26am On Oct 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

PastorAIO , stephenmorris , Sarassin , Immortal etc

Yes, let’s talk about Pantheism. You ask why Pantheists hold on to their beliefs and as you succinctly put it, deify the universe, equally I would ask why you hold on to the tenets of what I consider to be a monotheistic cult, clearly it is a matter of choice. My starting point is the maxim that "All religions are false"

In the “Kalama Sutta” Gautama Buddha cautions against going by "what has been acquired by repeated hearing", against "relying on tradition, or upon rumour" (itikira) and equally "what is in scripture"……and then goes on to say 'when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them.'

For me Pantheism is a catch-all term for a very wide range of theological and philosophical disciplines, from as disparate a field as Heraclitus of Ephesus to Marcus Aurelius, Nietzsche to Spinoza, Bruno, Wordsworth, you will find elements of Pantheism in North American Shamanic Practices as well as in South American folk religions, as well as in African traditional Polytheistic beliefs, therefore I think you will be hard pressed to label someone directly as a “Pantheist” without such a person falling into one box or the other initially and then .....a Pantheist latterly.

In my view Pantheism is ultimately little more than a form of expression of the Vedanta, and as one who practices Tantra and being very familiar with the Vedas, I find that Tantra is the ultimate Pantheism, why, because Tantra does not philosophize, nor does it preach to you about How you engage the Divine consciousness…..it shows you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:35am On Oct 15, 2016
Sarassin:

Yes, let’s talk about Pantheism. You ask why Pantheists hold on to their beliefs and as you succinctly put it, deify the universe, equally I would ask why you hold on to the tenets of what I consider to be a monotheistic cult, clearly it is a matter of choice. My starting point is the maxim that "All religions are false"

In the “Kalama Sutta” Gautama Buddha cautions against going by "what has been acquired by repeated hearing", against "relying on tradition, or upon rumour" (itikira) and equally "what is in scripture"……and then goes on to say 'when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them.'

For me Pantheism is a catch-all term for a very wide range of theological and philosophical disciplines, from as disparate a field as Heraclitus of Ephesus to Marcus Aurelius, Nietzsche to Spinoza, Bruno, Wordsworth, you will find elements of Pantheism in North American Shamanic Practices as well as in South American folk religions, as well as in African traditional Polytheistic beliefs, therefore I think you will be hard pressed to label someone directly as a “Pantheist” without such a person falling into one box or the other initially and then .....a Pantheist latterly.

In my view Pantheism is ultimately little more than a form of expression of the Vedanta, and as one who practices Tantra and being very familiar with the Vedas, I find that Tantra is the ultimate Pantheism, why, because Tantra does not philosophize, nor does it preach to you about How you engage the Divine consciousness…..it shows you.

Well put .

But you didn't address this :

How true is this statement ? What makes it true ?
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:37am On Oct 15, 2016
@ 4kings , CoolUsername

A pantheist , Sarassin , is here . You can ask him questions
Re: Let's Talk Pantheism , Shall We ? by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Well put .

But you didn't address this :

How true is this statement ? What makes it true ?

The questions you ask are not a universal Pantheistic creed, they are an aggregate of individual philosophical disciplines/worldviews within the all encompassing umbrella of Pantheism presented as a unitary position of all Pantheists. In effect, different Pantheists could, and do have divergent views on the issues you raised.

That said, my own view is to re-state what I have written on other threads, I don’t see an overarching imperative for a creator God of the universe, if there was a creator God, then he certainly abandoned the universe, the world and nature to random process. I would add that I believe in the Divine Logos, “the reason to be” and it need not have created the universe, it could in fact be a creation of the universe itself inherent in the first cause. Since I do not want to get into an atheistic argument over the origins of the universe, I would say simply that we do not know enough at this stage.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do People Change Church? / Top 10 Richest Pastors In Nigeria: Background, Net Worth, And Cars / Lagos Orders Churches To Remove Loud Speakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.