Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,137 members, 7,860,086 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:25 AM

Why Are You Still Going To School? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are You Still Going To School? (768 Views)

Federal Government Announces Universities Resumption Talks Are Still Going On / The 5 Muslim Students Suspended For Wearing Hijab To School In Lagos (Photo) / Anambra Secondary Students Wear Native Cloths To School On Wednesdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You Still Going To School? by semochendo1(m): 10:47am On Oct 14, 2016
WHY ARE YOU STILL GOING TO SCHOOL?

The time I spent at the mechanic workshop last week provoked the necessity for this post. I was there for a small panel beating work that shouldn't have taken more than few hours but ended up spending 2 days, why because of the influx of people seeking his attention for their cars, so he had to take excuse to attend to them because he has no apprentice.

I was then forced to interview the rewire, AC guy and virtually all of them are all alone, no apprentice, no one is learning, they've all gone to school because education is now our ultimate priority. That's why we all graduate without jobs while those we see as uneducated are living a life solving problems for others, hence their financial buoyancy. What problem has your certificate solved? It has rather contributed to the unemployment problem.

It's high time we all woke up to reality, the time when education was valued has gone, that was industrial age, we are now in information age, where certificate is not what you need to succeed but how much you engage your mind to create solution to problems or meet/create needs. There are lots of problems that we all need to solve for ourselves to get money. It's a must in this generation for everyone to acquire a particular skill. Now ask your self, "what skill do I have and what problem can I solve for others?"if you can't find any, that simply explain the reason why you are poor. Poverty is not lack of money, it's a lack of idea.

Get me right, I'm not saying going to school is bad, but I strongly emphasize the need to ask yourself why? A friend told me about two weeks ago that education I overrated in Nigeria, he has two MSc and currently doing his PhD. You need to understand what's meant by a SCHOOL. A school is a place you learn, now ask what are you learning and how can it affect the lives of people around you.

Another important point that's killing many of us is "what will people say?", what's your problem with people's opinion about your dream? How many of your problems can they solve for you? As the MD of Go-global cleaners, one the fastest growing cleaning company in Nigeria today, when I get to our car wash station, I join the staff to clean, to a point that one day, an unsuspecting customer gave me his change in appreciation of my sense of thoroughness. And this is a car wash close to our office, where I should be feeling too big for that, but I do so not just to motivate the staff, but to prove to them I can do better. How could I have achieved these simple objectives if I had consider people's opinion?

We all need to wake up to reality. If you read this post once it will not help you, read it again and answer the questions posited. This post may change your life.

Summary
1. Why are you going to school?
2. What skill do you have? If you have one , you need to apply KAIZEN PRINCIPLE, the principle of continuous improvement, if you don't, go and learn anyone that can solve problems around you or meet the needs of the people
3. Discipline your people's approval mentality, their condemnation of your dream will only keep you unproductively stagnant, not them. So follow your heart.

I wish everyone the best.
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by ammyluv2002(f): 10:54am On Oct 14, 2016
This is quite revealing & well written! I totally agree with you.

Thanks for sharing
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by lastmessenger: 11:20am On Oct 14, 2016
I only started thinking like this around year 2015 but still here stuck to a 8 to 5 work.God help us
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by semochendo1(m): 11:32am On Oct 14, 2016
ammyluv2002:
This is quite revealing & well written! I totally agree with you.

Thanks for sharing

You are welcome Sir.
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by ammyluv2002(f): 11:35am On Oct 14, 2016
semochendo1:

You are welcome Sir.
ma
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by semochendo1(m): 11:38am On Oct 14, 2016
lastmessenger:
I only started thinking like this around year 2015 but still here stuck to a 8 to 5 work.God help us

I was once in your shoe, all you need is a pen on paper first, ask yourself questions like
1. What do I have to offer in terms or products and services?
2. What are the things you need to start it? Skills and materials wise, make a list of them, prioritize it and start getting them
3. How will you sell your products/services differently from what has been in existence?

If you can answer this, you can resign once you get all u need. in fact, you can run the business model to confirm its workability before resigning.

All the best bro
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by lastmessenger: 12:06pm On Oct 14, 2016
semochendo1:

I was once in your shoe, all you need is a pen on paper first, ask yourself questions like
1. What do I have to offer in terms or products and services?
2. What are the things you need to start it? Skills and materials wise, make a list of them, prioritize it and start getting them
3. How will you sell your products/services differently from what has been in existence?

If you can answer this, you can resign once you get all u need. in fact, you can run the business model to confirm its workability before resigning.

All the best bro
i keep thinking of going into car repair but how can a thirty year old guy start learning how to repair a car ?
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by babyfaceafrica: 1:47pm On Oct 14, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by semochendo1(m): 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2016
lastmessenger:
i keep thinking of going into car repair but how can a thirty year old guy start learning how to repair a car ?

Age shouldn't be a barrier when talking about dreams, as far as I'm concerned, you are still concerned about what people will say, and that's what the post encourages you to stop. Do you know about Col. Sanders?The owner of KFC, he started the business at the age of 65,and see KFC today, it's everywhere.

At 30, you are still very young to pursue a clearer vision.
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by lastmessenger: 2:18pm On Oct 14, 2016
semochendo1:

Age shouldn't be a barrier when talking about dreams, as far as I'm concerned, you are still concerned about what people will say, and that's what the post encourages you to stop. Do you know about Col. Sanders?The owner of KFC, he started the business at the age of 65,and see KFC today, it's everywhere.

At 30, you are still very young to pursue a clearer vision.
thanks alot. I will think and pray over my life
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by semochendo1(m): 6:50pm On Oct 14, 2016
lastmessenger:
thanks alot. I will think and pray over my life

please do.
Re: Why Are You Still Going To School? by Doyin400l(m): 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2016
@op, not all mechanic has patronage like that ooo.. come to my area and see mechanic and other handiwork guys abandoning their shops for okada riding business due to no patronage or power to work. Trust me these handiwork also has its own bad side; pls don't use what you saw to conclude that its all that rossy...Destiny are different. Who knows maybe its that mechanic calling to do that work.
Just identify your strength and build on it in anything you are doing.

Thanks though for the exposition!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ksu Releases Post Utme Screening Results For 2016/2017 Session / Edo State Polytechnic Usen Second Batch Screening 2016/2016 / UNIBEN 2016/2017 Admission List (check Here) & Date For Clearance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.