Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,549 members, 7,958,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:48 PM

Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over (15358 Views)

How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / How To Maintain Discipline At Work Place / I'm Being Accused Of Theft At My Work Place. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by prodam(m): 8:31pm On Oct 14, 2016
Brainstorming on why some companies in Nigeria are ahead of the others will usually lead to a laborious research and even sometimes involve questionnaires and taking samples. It even gets more complex when you are studying firms globally. Don’t worry that has been done for you and the following have been identified as things to be replaced as well as current trends that drive productivity in modern workplace.

Old things have passed away they say, and surely new things are meant to replace them.

Old way: Employees are the biggest risk.
New Way: Employees are the biggest asset.

Nowadays, most companies still see employees as their biggest risk thereby handling their welfare with levity. The whole idea of a new revolution in the workplace is about getting things right on employer-employee relationship. Check out companies who are currently leading the market and you would discover that.

Old Way: Top down Communication
New Way: Open Communication

Top down communication which simply means information is passed from the top of the organogram down till it reaches bottom. This information is most times different at different stages of the hierarchy, that is, you only get the amount and kind of formation you can handle within your position in the firm. A lot of companies practice this model and keep employees away from the main business and daily operations of the firm. Companies who lead various industries especially IT practice open ended discussions, talks, and interactive communication. In such organisations, any employee has direct access to the CEO or head of division. This kind of all inclusive communication is what is referred to as Open Communication.

Old Way: Skill over Behaviour
New Way: Behavior over skill

You be like are you kidding me? No, I am not barney. This is so factual. The best way to hire and keep right people is to give primacy to behavior over skill. Things have changed and technology has made it seemingly easy to learn any thing whatsoever at the shortest time possible. The idea here is to look out for people with soft skills, such as emotional intelligence, presentation and personal branding, appearance and gesture as well as endurance. Attributes like this keeps an employee and makes him or her gives the best. Skills can be taught easily, by leveraging on, in house competence but it is extremely difficult to get employees to be patient, self-motivated or even communicate clearly.

Old Way: Manage Time
New Way: Empower Results

No doubt, one key thing for any serious person is to be able to manage time effectively. However, after little or more time spent, what are important most times in the long run are results. What has been done? What is left? What is the quality of the job?. The quality assurance or software testers or even customer are really not interested in the process involved or amount of effort but rather in the results obtained. Companies we look up to know this and have devised ways of reducing jobs of a single time and make people focus on what they really are good out. They also give reasonably enough time for tasks.

Old Way: Rigid Working Schedule
New Way: Flexible Working Schedule

It is so unproductive when you force employees to work during a specified time to deliver a task, but most firms are oblivious to this. Top companies allow employees to work within hours they are comfortable with as long as results are produced. Work is meant to be fun and not some punishment or constrain. Having employees work actively in the early hours of the day and take a nap or play some game then go back to work after lunch.

Old Way: At your desk
New Way: Mobile

In most advanced countries, this is very common due to good network latency and enough bandwidth. It fast tracks productivity and makes work easier and fun for employees or even independent consultants. Most companies, however, are still stuck with having employees resume and close on their desks.

Old Way: Work for the Weekend
New Way: Do something you love

Well, if you love your job, this might not be correct for you. People who are working on what they love are the most productive in any organization. However, only a few companies allow employees to do what they love during weekends and off days. Most firms will load you with work that will require you to work during your free periods. This may come in form of mandating you to resume during weekend or connecting to a client via remote services. This will no doubt adversely affect employees’ performance during actual business hours due to inadequate relaxation of mental tissues and rest.
Is that all? Yes that is all. Are you a start-up or thinking of creating the next big thing, you should have a rethink on your organizational structure. Inspire yourself

Thank you.

Source: http://naijayouthonpoint..com.ng/2016/10/modern-work-place-vs-old-work-place-why.html

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by datola: 9:21pm On Oct 14, 2016
You're sure this is applicable to Nigeria, given so many Nigerian factors?

I doubt any of the successful banks, etc of Nigerian decent practises any of those on your list.

Mac Gregory of MIT in the sixties had Nigerian factors in mind when he propounded theory X (as against Y) that employees need to be forced, disciplined, supervised, monitored, threatened, etc before they can perform. You would not understand if you are on the E side of the quadrant.

It is not unusual with multinational companies with excellent modern work culture that can afford fool prove systems to make those things possible.

Good post!

13 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by prodam(m): 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
datola:
You're sure this is applicable to Nigeria, given so many Nigerian factors?
I doubt any the successful banks, etc of Nigerian decent practises any of those on your list.
Mac Gregory of MIT in the sixties had Nigerian factors in mind when he propounded theory X (as against Y) that employees need to be forced, disciplined, supervised, monitored, threatened, etc before they can perform. You would not understand when you are on the E side of the quadrant.
It is not unusual with multinational companies with excellent modern work culture that can afford fool prove systems to make those things possible.
Good post!

Cogent points datola.

The Nigerian banking industry is devoid of ethics in all ramifications - recruiting, workplace, etc.

I agree, this will surely work in a modern setting. Mac Gregory's theory have been defied as Google, Facebook, and Apple have rooms for flexible working structure and an employee-first ideology. Many start ups here are also practicing this and I have strong belief that in no time, the Nigerian work place culture will be improved.

Many thanks for sharing your thought.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by nony43(m): 6:56am On Oct 15, 2016
M
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by alegbeleye(m): 6:56am On Oct 15, 2016
*sits back* *sips lipton* gentlemen let the grammar begin.

3 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by casttlebarbz(m): 6:56am On Oct 15, 2016
Okay
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by iceberryose(m): 6:56am On Oct 15, 2016
Hbd to me

4 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by casttlebarbz(m): 6:57am On Oct 15, 2016
nony43:
M
M for Mozilla
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by soundmind4ree: 6:58am On Oct 15, 2016
...LIFE IS DYNAMIC, except for some folks...
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by JEWELCOSMETICS: 7:00am On Oct 15, 2016
This is true.... Some of the Nigerian firms have started adopting these styles already. In s more civilised world that is how it works.

1 Like

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by ifeanyi83(m): 7:00am On Oct 15, 2016
I quite agree with some of the points raised. Good post!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Trojan2010: 7:01am On Oct 15, 2016
When we were growing up they use to tell us that education is the keyto success, now we have that key only to find out that
the government has stolen the Door

6 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by austinbrown: 7:05am On Oct 15, 2016
Dint understand anything here jor
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by soundmind4ree: 7:06am On Oct 15, 2016
iceberryose:
Hbd to me

BLISSFUL BD 2U
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by searay(m): 7:09am On Oct 15, 2016
Good Gooder Goodest post.

Lovely post
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by alien1: 7:21am On Oct 15, 2016
@ all, am seeking an internship position here in Port Harcourt. Please PM me if you have any links or vacancy.
Thanks
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by VcStunner(m): 7:23am On Oct 15, 2016
Good one

Non of the new ways happens around me anyway
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by abumeinben(m): 7:26am On Oct 15, 2016
Good.

However, I wanna believe the reverse is the case here:

The old tend to love "he has respect" or "he's from a well behaved family".

These days, you don't want to lose a skilled resource that makes the process meaningful, which produces the best output, even though he doesn't "greet" anyone in the office.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by flinsburg: 7:30am On Oct 15, 2016
Good morning guys,
Nice write up.

I'm in need of a working team to push ideas I've been working on privately for a while, the ideas are business inclined and I believe if we put the necessary efforts required collectively, we can make huge progress that would also translate to great income.

I have few product ideas in the field of food marketing ( check out patayaki on all social media fronts to understand) which has been bringing me income, but my new ideas are massive and would require a team.

I also have a sports analysis and prediction platform called "onebetclub" I believe sports content development is something that would become a big hit soon , also looking to work on this with a team.

Then I have a lifestyle and also a deal platform I'm working on.

You may think I'm trying to be a jack of all trades, but I've through the years tried my hands on this various ideas and have gotten great responses.

I need a team ,no necessary a large team but effective young minds who are willing to sacrifice time for a greater good.

My challenges are these ,
I don't have enough capital to employ,
Don't really have enough for an office space, so most times my house is my office, but I can work on that.
Won't pay you but we would share what we make, but be guaranteed that you can eat whatever I have and have the fun blast if you're around me.

The advantages:
These projects would makes us very rich in few months.

It would be a fulfilling journey.

We would share income in a favourable way

There's room for effort based income

If you survive a year with me, we would officially become life partners.

You can be part of something that would make you great and really rich over time.

Presently I stay at Egbeda akowonjo axis , so if you stay close , it would be perfect.

I'm looking for the following

Web designer experience cum social marketing , traffic management and ideas on WordPress

A lady with skills for food and marketing

A fun guy , that is endowed with a lot of sports knowledge,

Any gender that enjoys writing or talking about fashion and other peoples lifestyles.

People with good knowledge on multi level marketing and how to convert clients.

Marketing team, which we would all be involved in.

Any other person can apply, I believe we can have fun while doing this.

If you're interested and want me to explain further, please call 08059149648.

It would be my pleasure to entertain you and meet up.

My name is Uche.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by mattobas(m): 7:33am On Oct 15, 2016
When firms are newly begun, they can't afford to practice most of these as at then it will hinder productivity. Even a lot of the Indigenous Nigerian firms and Companies excluding Dangote and Glo are not big players in Africa talk-less globally.
It will be hard telling Glo or Airtel Workers to adopt same ethics as MTN who are already controlling the market; you can't adopt ABSA bank's work ethics for UBA because ABSA is bigger than UBA and already on the Swift network as a result; even most of these companies you listed like Apple, Facebook were not always like how you stated them, with their huge successes they could afford to adopt those ethics.
What I'm saying is "When Nigerian firms achieve their desired level of success they'll change"; don't expect any of these soon except at Juggernaut firms in the Nigerian Economy.

5 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by dfrost: 7:39am On Oct 15, 2016
Nice writeup, prodam.

In addition to these points, it's also cost effective. If a company wants 10 customer service personnel, it can save space by letting the cs team work from home. It's all about telephone calls and emails.

Ciao.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by EdoBoy90(m): 7:56am On Oct 15, 2016
Organization
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:03am On Oct 15, 2016
flinsburg:
Good morning guys,
Nice write up.

I'm in need of a working team to push ideas I've been working on privately for a while, the ideas are business inclined and I believe if we put the necessary efforts required collectively, we can make huge progress that would also translate to great income.

I have few product ideas in the field of food marketing ( check out patayaki on all social media fronts to understand) which has been bringing me income, but my new ideas are massive and would require a team.

I also have a sports analysis and prediction platform called "onebetclub" I believe sports content development is something that would become a big hit soon , also looking to work on this with a team.

Then I have a lifestyle and also a deal platform I'm working on.

You may think I'm trying to be a jack of all trades, but I've through the years tried my hands on this various ideas and have gotten great responses.

I need a team ,no necessary a large team but effective young minds who are willing to sacrifice time for a greater good.

My challenges are these ,
I don't have enough capital to employ,
Don't really have enough for an office space, so most times my house is my office, but I can work on that.
Won't pay you but we would share what we make, but be guaranteed that you can eat whatever I have and have the fun blast if you're around me.

The advantages:
These projects would makes us very rich in few months.

It would be a fulfilling journey.

We would share income in a favourable way

There's room for effort based income

If you survive a year with me, we would officially become life partners.

You can be part of something that would make you great and really rich over time.

Presently I stay at Egbeda akowonjo axis , so if you stay close , it would be perfect.

I'm looking for the following

Web designer experience cum social marketing , traffic management and ideas on WordPress

A lady with skills for food and marketing

A fun guy , that is endowed with a lot of sports knowledge,

Any gender that enjoys writing or talking about fashion and other peoples lifestyles.

People with good knowledge on multi level marketing and how to convert clients.

Marketing team, which we would all be involved in.

Any other person can apply, I believe we can have fun while doing this.

If you're interested and want me to explain further, please call 08059149648.

It would be my pleasure to entertain you and meet up.

My name is Uche.

Interesting
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by itsmine: 8:27am On Oct 15, 2016
Intelligent &Interesting.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by ironheart(m): 9:13am On Oct 15, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Electronzeez(m): 9:19am On Oct 15, 2016
mattobas:
When firms are newly begun, they can't afford to practice most of these as at then it will hinder productivity. Even a lot of the Indigenous Nigerian firms and Companies excluding Dangote and Glo are not big players in Africa talk-less globally.
It will be hard telling Glo or Airtel Workers to adopt same ethics as MTN who are already controlling the market; you can't adopt ABSA bank's work ethics for UBA because ABSA is bigger than UBA and already on the Swift network as a result; even most of these companies you listed like Apple, Facebook were not always like how you stated them, with their huge successes they could afford to adopt those ethics.
What I'm saying is "When Nigerian firms achieve their desired level of success they'll change"; don't expect any of these soon except at Juggernaut firms in the Nigerian Economy.

One would recognise comment from those in the front sit row .most of the poster point are valid , I can relate with two. The points are best practices anywhere but like you said indeginous firm would not adopt all of it at a go.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by freddaboh(m): 9:20am On Oct 15, 2016
prodam:
Brainstorming on why some companies in Nigeria are ahead of the others will usually lead to a laborious research and even sometimes involve questionnaires and taking samples. It even gets more complex when you are studying firms globally. Don’t worry that has been done for you and the following have been identified as things to be replaced as well as current trends that drive productivity in modern workplace.

Old things have passed away they say, and surely new things are meant to replace them.

Old way: Employees are the biggest risk.
New Way: Employees are the biggest asset.

Nowadays, most companies still see employees as their biggest risk thereby handling their welfare with levity. The whole idea of a new revolution in the workplace is about getting things right on employer-employee relationship. Check out companies who are currently leading the market and you would discover that.

Old Way: Top down Communication
New Way: Open Communication

Top down communication which simply means information is passed from the top of the organogram down till it reaches bottom. This information is most times different at different stages of the hierarchy, that is, you only get the amount and kind of formation you can handle within your position in the firm. A lot of companies practice this model and keep employees away from the main business and daily operations of the firm. Companies who lead various industries especially IT practice open ended discussions, talks, and interactive communication. In such organisations, any employee has direct access to the CEO or head of division. This kind of all inclusive communication is what is referred to as Open Communication.

You be like are you kidding me? No, I am not barney. This is so factual. The best way to hire and keep right people is to give primacy to behavior over skill. Things have changed and technology has made it seemingly easy to learn any thing whatsoever at the shortest time possible. The idea here is to look out for people with soft skills, such as emotional intelligence, presentation and personal branding, appearance and gesture as well as endurance. Attributes like this keeps an employee and makes him or her gives the best. Skills can be taught easily, by leveraging on, in house competence but it is extremely difficult to get employees to be patient, self-motivated or even communicate clearly.

Old Way: Manage Time
New Way: Empower Results

No doubt, one key thing for any serious person is to be able to manage time effectively. However, after little or more time spent, what are important most times in the long run are results. What has been done? What is left? What is the quality of the job?. The quality assurance or software testers or even customer are really not interested in the process involved or amount of effort but rather in the results obtained. Companies we look up to know this and have devised ways of reducing jobs of a single time and make people focus on what they really are good out. They also give reasonably enough time for tasks.

Old Way: Rigid Working Schedule
New Way: Flexible Working Schedule

It is so unproductive when you force employees to work during a specified time to deliver a task, but most firms are oblivious to this. Top companies allow employees to work within hours they are comfortable with as long as results are produced. Work is meant to be fun and not some punishment or constrain. Having employees work actively in the early hours of the day and take a nap or play some game then go back to work after lunch.

Old Way: At your desk
New Way: Mobile

In most advanced countries, this is very common due to good network latency and enough bandwidth. It fast tracks productivity and makes work easier and fun for employees or even independent consultants. Most companies, however, are still stuck with having employees resume and close on their desks.

Old Way: Work for the Weekend
New Way: Do something you love

Well, if you love your job, this might not be correct for you. People who are working on what they love are the most productive in any organization. However, only a few companies allow employees to do what they love during weekends and off days. Most firms will load you with work that will require you to work during your free periods. This may come in form of mandating you to resume during weekend or connecting to a client via remote services. This will no doubt adversely affect employees’ performance during actual business hours due to inadequate relaxation of mental tissues and rest.
Is that all? Yes that is all. Are you a start-up or thinking of creating the next big thing, you should have a rethink on your organizational structure. Inspire yourself

Thank you.

Source: http://naijayouthonpoint..com.ng/2016/10/modern-work-place-vs-old-work-place-why.html

solutions to my assignment-unicosia

1 Like

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Electronzeez(m): 9:25am On Oct 15, 2016
abumeinben:
Good.

However, I wanna believe the reverse is the case here:

The old tend to love "he has respect" or "he's from a well behaved family".

These days, you don't want to lose a skilled resource that makes the process meaningful, which produces the best output, even though he doesn't "greet" anyone in the office.

Your point is not applicable to everywhere here . Are you saying a Cs personal with bad behaviour is better that the one with a good behaviour because of his/her skill ??.

Would you put someone who does not greet his colleagues to talk to your customer because he has got skill Would you ?
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by 222Martins(m): 10:22am On Oct 15, 2016
I run several companies and I can tell you that most of the stuff you wrote are not practicable on the ground here in Nigeria. Flexible work time indeed when i run on diesel, deal with server downtime and other constraints we face in Nigeria. Please let's be realistic, most of the points you listed above cannot work for all business models and when you factor in the Nigerian environment and employees attitude towards work, it will only lead to an increase in operating cost, time wasting and low productivity.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by JSoE(f): 10:28am On Oct 15, 2016
Very insightful and informative.
Thank you,OP.
I was recently making a research on this topic. You just saved me the stress.
These are the kinda information we're supposed to share with one another not senseless yeyebrity talks and snakes.

1 Like

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by abumeinben(m): 11:47am On Oct 15, 2016
Electronzeez:

Your point is not applicable to everywhere here . Are you saying a Cs personal with bad behaviour is better that the one with a good behaviour because of his/her skill ??.

Would you put someone who does not greet his colleagues to talk to your customer because he has got skill Would you ?

When it comes to generalization, nothing in life is applicable, bro.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by nateevs(m): 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

NL's Career Thread Directory / Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. / What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.