Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog (4427 Views)

Dos And Don’ts Of Email Marketing / Dos And Don’ts Of Using A Public Wi-fi / Steps Involved In Writing A Good Blog Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by easyblazeblog(m): 3:04pm On Oct 15, 2016
http://www.easyblazeblog.com/2016/10/the-12-dos-and-donts-of-writing-blog.html

Thinking about writing a blog? Been writing a blog for some time now and have yet to establish any growth (and by “growth” I mean “increased pageviews”)? Over the past 10 years I’ve refined my blogging skills—that’s right, I started my first blog back in 2001 and it is so embarrassing by today’s standards that I’m almost unwilling to link to it … almost. Blogs for writers are everywhere, and there’s often good advice on them about writing a blog. There’s also plenty of not-so-good advice. It can be frustrating.
Now I currently run several successful blogs, including The Life of Dad and this online editor blog. It’s been a challenge juggling them but, by sticking to these 12 specific dos and don’ts of writing a blog that I’ve developed over my years of experience, I’ve been able to establish growth (increased pageviews). I hope they can help you learn how to write a good blog too.
When Writing a Blog Do …

Find your focus.
To do this, you must first ask yourself this question: Who are your target readers? Once that’s settled, you can home in on a niche category (like this one focuses on writing) and be the expert on it.
Be relatable, be yourself.
What sets bloggers apart from newspaper article feeds is voice. Let your readers get to know you. [Like this quote? Click here to Tweet and share it!] Your content is what draws them in while your personality, or your voice in writing, is what will keep them there.
Use links within your posts.
Whether you are linking to other blogs or websites that contain great information or linking to past posts on your own site, do it whenever you can. This will help not only increase your clicks but also help with your blog’s search engine rankings.
blog_your_way_to_success
Order this kit of writing resources at a highly discounted price today!
Include images.
While readers come to your blog for information and personality, they also need to be stimulated visually. Not all posts will lend themselves to an image, but when they do, take advantage of it. Here’s some advice on finding free online images that you can use.
Respond to blog comments.
This is an opportunity to connect directly with the people who are reading your work. Not all comments need a response, but be sure to respond to ones that do. And sometimes it’s worth just popping on and posting “Thanks for reading my blog.”
Post to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Anywhere Else You Can.
Don’t be afraid to use social media to tout your posts. Anything that makes it easier for potential readers to find your blog is a must (and friends and family definitely qualify as potential readers).
[Want to land an agent? Here are 4 things to consider when researching literary agents.]
When Writing a Blog Don’t …

Set Unrealistic Goals.
You know your schedule and abilities better than anyone else, so don’t attempt to post every day if you can’t. Start out by posting weekly and get in a groove. As you streamline your process, increase your posting if you can.
Limit your word count.
If you have something to say, say it. Readers (and search engines) prefer to get meatier pieces (500 words or more) to make clicking through worth their time. This doesn’t mean you can’t feature shorter pieces or that you should ramble on just to meet a word count, but don’t be afraid to break down antiquated perceptions that blogs need to be short. When the time is right, go long.
Make grammar mistakes.
And, if you do, correct them immediately. Folks on the Web tend to be more lenient about typos, so don’t stress about it if you do make a mistake. But correct it as soon as you can. Remember, if you ever want readers to take you seriously, you have to take yourself (and your blog) seriously. Give it the professional quality it deserves.
Be negative.
It’s generally unwise to air personal grievances publicly (unless, of course, that’s the theme of your blog). You’ll go a lot further by being positive, inspirational and supportive to the community that you’re writing to.
Write long paragraphs.
Long blocks of text are hard for readers to digest, especially when reading on computers and tablets. Break up your content into shorter paragraphs, bullet points and lists whenever possible. Also, if you can, work in some subheads.
Avoid trying new things.
It’s important to let your blog evolve over time, and the only way this can happen is if you take risks every once in awhile. Whether it’s adding infographs or personal stories or guest bloggers, never be afraid to try something new. If you feel it can add something special to your blog, try it.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by easyblazeblog(m): 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2016
if you can follow these guidelines i can guarantee you a timeless success
folow me on facebook for more guidelines
[url]facebook.com/easyblazeblog[/url]
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by KvnqPrezo(m): 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2016
Thanks I really count words when typing..
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 17, 2016
2TC
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by ak47yong(m): 6:40am On Oct 17, 2016
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Niyinficient(m): 6:41am On Oct 17, 2016
Noted.
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by bsideboii(m): 6:44am On Oct 17, 2016
Hw about content scraping from sites dat give free contents...what do u have to say about this.Thanks
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Benjom(m): 6:46am On Oct 17, 2016
Good...
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by worlexy(m): 6:48am On Oct 17, 2016
OK. Thanks for the info
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by lajoshua: 6:52am On Oct 17, 2016
well said
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Qabt(m): 6:54am On Oct 17, 2016
When I need info about blogging, I will go and consult linda ikeji grin
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 17, 2016
Don't be a copy and paste blogger like the OP.

1 Like

Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by twosquare(m): 7:05am On Oct 17, 2016
Op, abeg, edit and clean up your post well.
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by uchebest2006(m): 7:26am On Oct 17, 2016
You mean u started ya blog since 2001 ??
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Revamped(m): 7:32am On Oct 17, 2016
easyblazeblog:
if you can follow these guidelines i can guarantee you a timeless success
folow me on facebook for more guidelines
[url]facebook.com/easyblazeblog[/url]

Nice post u got, I have also written on this topic some months back, or precisely last year... But try to bold those your points and leave white space that would ease reading....
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Revamped(m): 7:33am On Oct 17, 2016
uchebest2006:
You mean u started ya blog since 2001 ??
No, I think he started blogging since 2001, not particularly this blog.... (hopefully I'm correct)
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Revamped(m): 7:35am On Oct 17, 2016
twosquare:
Op, abeg, edit and clean up your post well.
Yea, seriously he needs to format the post! It looks too clumsy, even on his site...

1 Like

Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by nmreports: 8:05am On Oct 17, 2016
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by henrimoto(m): 8:09am On Oct 17, 2016
Revamped:

Nice post u got, I have also written on this topic some months back, or precisely last year... But try to bold those your points and leave white space that would ease reading....
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by vicola0281: 8:42am On Oct 17, 2016
u started ur blog since 2001 nd u Neva blow reach Linda... mehn ur village pple ar reali at work
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Banjo24: 8:49am On Oct 17, 2016
Bloggers... If u are in need of already developed bbm channels of 30k to 60k subscribers holla me... 07036692021.
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by greatAbdurl(m): 9:03am On Oct 17, 2016
Nice post winkNice post
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by govmentson(m): 9:47am On Oct 17, 2016
Visit www.govmentboy..com
And get updated
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by govmentson(m): 9:48am On Oct 17, 2016
Visit www.govmentboy..com
And get updated
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by KvnqPrezo(m): 10:02am On Oct 17, 2016
please check out www.romanticpie.com
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by leahcimzil: 10:37am On Oct 17, 2016
here is the original link to the post http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/the-12-dos-and-donts-of-writing-a-blog. Copy pasta is why yur blog will never become popular OP

1 Like

Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Revamped(m): 11:03am On Oct 17, 2016
leahcimzil:
here is the original link to the post http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/the-12-dos-and-donts-of-writing-a-blog. Copy pasta is why yur blog will never become popular OP
Damn, that 'OP' really messed up big time
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Revamped(m): 11:06am On Oct 17, 2016
Northmall:
Don't be a copy and paste blogger like the OP.
The guy really fall my hands
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by adeoba2008(m): 12:15pm On Oct 17, 2016
Check mine @
www.crmnigeria.com
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Rick9(m): 12:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
Blog topics making fp of late
Re: The 12 Dos And Don’ts Of Writing A Blog by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 17, 2016
Funny how some of his advice counters earlier ones listed. A blogger since 2001 yet the writeup is terribly formatted.
The truth is blogging is like a diary, personalize yours the same as everyone else. Online blog sites have given introverted individuals a chance to share their world with others the world over. Hence the more reason why there are more blogs online than people to read them; everyone (sadly) is indulging in them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easy Way To Earn Airtime (money) Worth 1000+ With Topup Africa App For Free / Latest UC Mini Handler Settings For Glo 0.00kb Free Browsing Cheat+unlimited Dwl / Blogging: How To Write A Compelling Article That Your Readers Will Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.